From: new...@alrescha.com (Alrescha)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying
from Linux via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bO25jGm+PtPDqPmmm7SxKwUiIh0=
 by: Alrescha - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...

In case it helps, the Files app on iOS understands SMB file sharing. Just
hit the three dots and choose “Connect to server”. Then you can drag and
drop.

Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse

<usntra$38u3u$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17723&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17723

From: StendeJ...@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: how to access .mp4 & .pdf files on iPad after copying from Linux via ifuse
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:42:02 -0400
 by: Sten deJoode - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:42 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:34:18 -0000 (UTC), Alrescha wrote:

> Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>
>> The files seem to be on the iPad at the top level...
>
> In case it helps, the Files app on iOS understands SMB file sharing. Just
> hit the three dots and choose 'Connect to server'. Then you can drag and
> drop.

I don't know if the OP knows about SMB/CIFs or not, but on his Linux box
he'd have to add Samba to get SMB (which is very easy to add on Linux).

The problem is the Files app is a brain-dead walled-garden app, where what
the OP really wants is what everyone who has Linux would expect, which is
he can write his files ANYWHERE he wants to in the iOS file system.

He can do that because I've done it in the past (see my other posts).
But none of the Apple religious nutcases would know how to do it.

They don't realize the instant you add an Apple app, you _lose_
functionality, which, if you don't believe me, check out the old
SharePod (before Apple bought them and immediately broke the app).

<https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

Notice if you do NOT install iTunes, and if you don't install ANYTHING on
Windows, but you put the Sharepod.exe executable on the iPod, then you get
EXACTLY what everyone wants - which is the ability to read and write the
entire iPod filesystem sliding back and forth ANY DAMN FILE YOU WANT from
your Windows computer to your Apple iPod and vice versa.

Apple coders are so sophomoric they don't know how to code something that
perfect - such that it does - instantly - with no software on the PC -
exactly what you want - where you can copy any MP3 file from any iPod (it
doesn't even have to be registered to you or to anyone else) back and forth
to and from the PC.

Apple can't code anything that "just works" like that. It's perfect.

Until Apple bought them. Then they changed it so it no longer worked.
https://getsharepod.com/help
*(now it needs iTUnes to do LESS than it did before without iTunes!)*

If that doesn't show you how stupid Apple coders are, nothing else will.
Luckily the old last-known-before-apple-good-version still works fine!

This is something I've done thousands of times, and yet not a single one of
the Apple religious nut cases has ever done it because they're stuck with
iTunes bloatware (which removes functionality the instant you add it to
Windows).

End result: Apple software _removes_ functionality the instant you install
it. Don't believe me? Look at what Apple did to SharePod which used to
"just work" and now doesn't work without iTunes and is limited like you
can't believe (e.g., it requires an Apple ID - which is ridiculous).
<https://i.postimg.cc/LXzB3Lc0/appleid01.jpg>