If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

devel / comp.lang.c / Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

SubjectAuthor
* Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperReal Troll
`* Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperMrSpud kyb26
 +* Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperJames Kuyper
 |`* Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperKeith Thompson
 | `* Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperRichard Harnden
 |  `- Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperKeith Thompson
 `* Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperKeith Thompson
  `- Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James KuyperMike Terry

1
Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<seeip7$g1h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17814&group=comp.lang.c#17814

From: real.tr...@trolls.com (Real Troll)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
 by: Real Troll - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26 UTC

Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
willingness to be the two new moderators of

"comp.lang.c++.moderated"
"comp.lang.c.moderated"

so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.

Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:

Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.

> Hi Real,
>
> I can look into it. We can help change moderators but we need to do a
> few things first.
> First, the people who will moderate the newsgroups will need to want
> to moderate them. Also, they will need to be able run the software
> needed to actually moderate newsgroups. If you can get Keith and James
> to email us at board@big-8.org saying that they are interested in
> moderating these groups, then we can talk about everything that's
> required.
>
> Just FYI, here are the list of moderators for these groups currently:
>
> comp.lang.c.moderated
> Peter Seebach comp.lang.c++.moderated
> David Vandevoorde, Victor Bazarov, Dom Devitto, Francis Glassborow,
> Howard Harkness,
> James Kanze, Seungbeom Kim, Dietmar Kuehl, John Potter,
> Alf Steinbach & Herb Sutter
>

> Jason

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<seg97a$aa6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17818&group=comp.lang.c#17818

From: MrSpud_k...@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:58:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpud_k...@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:58 UTC

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
Real Troll <real.troll@trolls.com> wrote:
>Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
>willingness to be the two new moderators of
>
>"comp.lang.c++.moderated"
>"comp.lang.c.moderated"
>
>so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.
>
>Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:
>
>Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.

When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<beee731f-06ff-3872-3a7a-e6b3763b380f@alumni.caltech.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17819&group=comp.lang.c#17819

From: jameskuy...@alumni.caltech.edu (James Kuyper)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:04:30 -0400
 by: James Kuyper - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 12:04 UTC

On 8/5/21 4:58 AM, MrSpud_kyb26@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
> Real Troll <real.troll@trolls.com> wrote:
>> Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
>> willingness to be the two new moderators of
>>
>> "comp.lang.c++.moderated"
>> "comp.lang.c.moderated"
>>
>> so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.
>>
>> Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:
>>
>> Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.
>
> When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
> the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
> probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.

Those groups are defunct primarily because there were such long delays
between when you posted a message to the group and when it finally
showed up. New moderators with lots of spare time on their hands would
probably solve that problem. I'm not in that position, yet - even when
I'm fully retired, I'll still have to be a househusband and take care of
two small children.

A key advantage to a moderated newsgroup is that the posts that have
been causing Google Groups to drop comp.lang.c on several occasions
recently would be filtered out before coming to Google's attention.

Keep in mind the name that was used to post that message. He has
routinely lived down to that name, and anything he posts should be
discounted accordingly. I've got him killfiled, and I wouldn't be
surprised if Keith does, too.

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<87bl6c7yc6.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17820&group=comp.lang.c#17820

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 07:36:25 -0700
sha1:KaJ1Qmr3Fo0bASKFl7NdK41O4bA=
 by: Keith Thompson - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:36 UTC

James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> On 8/5/21 4:58 AM, MrSpud_kyb26@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
>> Real Troll <real.troll@trolls.com> wrote:
>>> Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
>>> willingness to be the two new moderators of
>>>
>>> "comp.lang.c++.moderated"
>>> "comp.lang.c.moderated"
>>>
>>> so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:
>>>
>>> Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.
>>
>> When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
>> the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
>> probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.
>
> Those groups are defunct primarily because there were such long delays
> between when you posted a message to the group and when it finally
> showed up. New moderators with lots of spare time on their hands would
> probably solve that problem. I'm not in that position, yet - even when
> I'm fully retired, I'll still have to be a househusband and take care of
> two small children.
>
> A key advantage to a moderated newsgroup is that the posts that have
> been causing Google Groups to drop comp.lang.c on several occasions
> recently would be filtered out before coming to Google's attention.
>
> Keep in mind the name that was used to post that message. He has
> routinely lived down to that name, and anything he posts should be
> discounted accordingly. I've got him killfiled, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if Keith does, too.

I do as well.

In the past, I've vaguely thought about being willing to moderate
comp.lang.c.moderated, but at this point I'm not convinced it would be
worth the effort. Real Troll won't be the one to convince me.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<seh9jq$ai2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17821&group=comp.lang.c#17821

From: richard....@gmail.com (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:11:04 +0100
 by: Richard Harnden - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 18:11 UTC

On 05/08/2021 15:36, Keith Thompson wrote:
> James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>> On 8/5/21 4:58 AM, MrSpud_kyb26@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk wrote:

>>> When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
>>> the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
>>> probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.
>>
>> Those groups are defunct primarily because there were such long delays
>> between when you posted a message to the group and when it finally
>> showed up. New moderators with lots of spare time on their hands would
>> probably solve that problem. I'm not in that position, yet - even when
>> I'm fully retired, I'll still have to be a househusband and take care of
>> two small children.
>>
>> A key advantage to a moderated newsgroup is that the posts that have
>> been causing Google Groups to drop comp.lang.c on several occasions
>> recently would be filtered out before coming to Google's attention.
>>
>> Keep in mind the name that was used to post that message. He has
>> routinely lived down to that name, and anything he posts should be
>> discounted accordingly. I've got him killfiled, and I wouldn't be
>> surprised if Keith does, too.
>
> I do as well.
>
> In the past, I've vaguely thought about being willing to moderate
> comp.lang.c.moderated, but at this point I'm not convinced it would be
> worth the effort. Real Troll won't be the one to convince me.

The moderation address for clc.moderated is clcm@plethora.net ... and
plethora.net no longer exists ... so I guess Seebs simply is isn't
getting any messages, whether he still wants to be the moderator or not.

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<871r77sj3l.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17822&group=comp.lang.c#17822

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 13:59:58 -0700
sha1:j9AEN1YbQlD64J/JYba7v4rd1iA=
 by: Keith Thompson - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:59 UTC

Richard Harnden <richard.nospam@gmail.com> writes:
> On 05/08/2021 15:36, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

>>> Those groups are defunct primarily because there were such long delays
>>> between when you posted a message to the group and when it finally
>>> showed up. New moderators with lots of spare time on their hands would
>>> probably solve that problem. I'm not in that position, yet - even when
>>> I'm fully retired, I'll still have to be a househusband and take care of
>>> two small children.
>>>
>>> A key advantage to a moderated newsgroup is that the posts that have
>>> been causing Google Groups to drop comp.lang.c on several occasions
>>> recently would be filtered out before coming to Google's attention.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind the name that was used to post that message. He has
>>> routinely lived down to that name, and anything he posts should be
>>> discounted accordingly. I've got him killfiled, and I wouldn't be
>>> surprised if Keith does, too.
>> I do as well.
>> In the past, I've vaguely thought about being willing to moderate
>> comp.lang.c.moderated, but at this point I'm not convinced it would be
>> worth the effort. Real Troll won't be the one to convince me.
>
> The moderation address for clc.moderated is clcm@plethora.net ... and
> plethora.net no longer exists ... so I guess Seebs simply is isn't
> getting any messages, whether he still wants to be the moderator or not.

I've contacted Seebs via another email address that was working as of a
few years ago and made him aware of this discussion.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<8735rmgsli.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17823&group=comp.lang.c#17823

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 14:40:09 -0700
sha1:ziC3zvhkzBpr6w6M5ReH9FDvUa0=
 by: Keith Thompson - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 21:40 UTC

MrSpud_kyb26@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk writes:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
> Real Troll <real.troll@trolls.com> wrote:
>>Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
>>willingness to be the two new moderators of
>>
>>"comp.lang.c++.moderated"
>>"comp.lang.c.moderated"
>>
>>so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.
>>
>>Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:
>>
>>Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.
>
> When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
> the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
> probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.

I think "Real Troll" originally posted in another newsgroup, probably
something under news.*. Does anyone know which newsgroup it was?
(I'm mildly curious.)

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper

<MtOdnZnCzKFsIZD8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17824&group=comp.lang.c#17824

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
From: news.dea...@darjeeling.plus.com (Mike Terry)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 23:51:29 +0100
 by: Mike Terry - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 22:51 UTC

On 06/08/2021 22:40, Keith Thompson wrote:
> MrSpud_kyb26@ticzoofkkulzlsguri.ac.uk writes:
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:26:30 +0000
>> Real Troll <real.troll@trolls.com> wrote:
>>> Please could you send an email to "board@big-8.org" to show your
>>> willingness to be the two new moderators of
>>>
>>> "comp.lang.c++.moderated"
>>> "comp.lang.c.moderated"
>>>
>>> so that we can start to reopen those defunct newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Please see my previous posts about this matter which I have quoted below:
>>>
>>> Thank you for this if you can do this sometimes this week.
>>
>> When comp.lang.c++ gets a single digit number of posts a day I fail to see
>> the point of a moderated group that will probably attract almost none. There's
>> probably a good reason the above groups are defunct.
>
> I think "Real Troll" originally posted in another newsgroup, probably
> something under news.*. Does anyone know which newsgroup it was?
> (I'm mildly curious.)

His first related post [Tue, 3 Aug 2021 23:25:13 +0100] included the
group news.groups.

Mike.

devel / comp.lang.c / Re: Ping: Keith Thompson and James Kuyper