VMS is like a nightmare about RXS-11M.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg / Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

SubjectAuthor
* Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SOJay Roi
`* Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much betteSpalls Hurgenson
 `* Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SOTrimble Bracegirdle
  `* Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much betteMike S.
   `* Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much betteSpalls Hurgenson
    `- Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much betteMike S.

1
Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<eaeb98d2-01ec-467e-8f23-28b987dc0a0fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=179&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#179

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO
much better....
From: jeremyro...@gmail.com (Jay Roi)
 by: Jay Roi - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:41 UTC

On Tuesday, June 18, 1996 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, Ranzer L. Averon wrote:
Wow I can't believe a retard like this guy posted this stupid shit way back when I was 5 years old. I was smarter than this idiot even then hahaha

Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<sr7p5hpf9bnqc2ffi75g673cg1etueo1nr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=180&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#180

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Subject: Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 19:17:22 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:17 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:41:45 -0700 (PDT), Jay Roi
<jeremyroy2005@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 18, 1996 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, Ranzer L. Averon wrote:
>Wow I can't believe a retard like this guy posted this stupid shit way back when
>I was 5 years old. I was smarter than this idiot even then hahaha

And yet, it was /you/ who revived a 26-year old thread* ;-)

But, of course, out of curiosity, I had to go back and read what the
original poster wrote.** It's an... intriguing diatribe; a long and
meandering post without too-few paragraph breaks that indicate a lack
of concern about the readability of his writings.

First impressions suggest it's a trollish shit-post, but I think the
author was being earnest, if impolite and unable to distinguish that
just because he didn't like a game didn't meant it wasn't any good.
His assumptions that Ultima VII was awful because it isn't linear, or
emphasis character and world interaction over combat were matters of
personal taste. I mean, he does make some valid criticisms of the
game; for all that I love Ultima VII, it's combat was the weakest part
of the game, and its constant insistence that you nanny your followers
quickly became tiresome. But its other strengths - while not focused
on the sort of gameplay he preferred - are what made the game so
memorable to so many others..

Actually, what I disliked most about his post was that it failed to
address how Ultima VII proved console superiority (as per his post's
subject line). That he disliked the game was clear, but that was a
subjective opinion. Nowhere did he provide convincing evidence that
console RPGs were better on any objective way.

It was all the more glaring failure since even at the time there were
numerous CRPGs on PCs that were thematically and mechanically similar
to console RPGS (Knights of Xentar, for instance), and as many console
RPGs that were similar to their PC cousins (in fact, a port of Ultima
VII was available on the SNES for two years). His argument only
reinforced how few games he had actually played. It says more about
his youth and how narrow his viewpoint actually was.

Still, I can't fault the original poster too much. Inexperienced and
unpolished as his remarks may have been, I think he spoke with an
emotional honesty that's almost refreshing compared to the usual
quiet, almost contemplative discussions on Usenet today. Of course, I
can say this only now, more than a quarter of a century later. Had I
read that post back in '96, I would surely have responded with as much
vitriol as the original poster.

And I can almost understand his frustration; coming from a background
of playing less-sophisticated action/RPGs, he'd probably heard the
virtues of Ultima VII extolled repeatedly (computer RPG fans had an
almost cult-like obsession with it... and I say that as one who still
drinks the Kool-Aid when it comes to that game) and decided to give it
a try... only to be sorely disappointed when it didn't match his
expectations of what a 'real' CRPG should be. I wonder what became of
him, and how (or if) his tastes in games have changed over the
years...

-----------------------------
* then again, I'm responding to your necropost, so who am I to talk?
;-)

** The original post, for those who are interested:

Posted by: Ranzer L. Averon
Date: Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM
> [...]
>British and the Avatar did. Why do I always have to light a tourch when
>I enter a dungeon?! I don't care about light, I care about fighting the bad
>NPCs. I'm sick and tired of collecting reagents for some stupid spells,
>which isn't graphically pleasing when casted. The RPGs I play are visually
>impressive, just like Ultima 7, and should remain that way. RPGs should
>have good graphics like Ultima 7 and 8 for that matter. Even though I
>have a sound card, I can't use it because of this game's damn Voodoo
>memory crap. When I beat Ultima, I expect a great ending like all those
>game consoles, not short ones. But I must say the ending was visually
>impressive but too damn short. I don't like being called an Avatar. What
>the fuck does that mean. Is it like some ancient name from the game?
>Why the hell do I have to wear swamp boots so I won't get poisoned
>when I walk over or in a swamp?! Don't you think that's going overboard
>with the realism. I walked on swamp in real life, and I never have
>gotten sick or anything cloese to that. Speaking of realism, or the lack
>of it, why do my characters never have to sleep yet they have to
>complain that they're hungry. Also, when I do sleep, why do my
>companions stand there like morons for eight hours? If the game was
>so realistic, shouldn't my companions carry a sleepingbag also? And
>when I DO give it to them, they don't use it. There are some other
>things about this game that I DID find better than most game
>consoles, the graphics. RPGs are meant to have good graphics! And
>some other things I find unrealistic witht he storyline is the part
>where I have to serach for two people who work for the Fellowship,
>Elizabeth and Abraham(I think those were their names). Anyway,
>why are they always ONE town ahead of me? A person tells me to
>goto one town, and when I get there, they're not there, and I'm told
>to goto another town. Game console RPGs will never do that to me.
>They'll never lead me running around searching for someone I can't
>catch. And why does the Guardian need the help of Batlin? I never
>understood why an all powerful demon would need a human to help
>him out.

>Now, if you think of me as troller, keep in mind that I played Ultima
>7 till it's conculsion. I expect a good ending, but was sorely
>disappointed. Also, I could've used some title like "Ultima 8 is better
>than Ultima 7" but I didn't. Even though though the Ultima 8
>sucked, I did like the music on my scc-1.

>One more thing before I'm finished with my ramblings, why the hell
>is the box nothing but black. I mean come on people, are the artists
>too lazy or something? I'm talking about the old box, not the new one.

>I'm going to stick with game consoles. I like the graphics better.
>I think I've said enough.

Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<9bf0b8f9-a5e5-4f1a-9aa7-799d5ecfa6afn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=181&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#181

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 09:31:00 -0700 (PDT)
much better....
From: wimbatst...@gmail.com (Trimble Bracegirdle)
 by: Trimble Bracegirdle - Wed, 4 May 2022 16:31 UTC

On Monday, 18 April 2022 at 00:17:30 UTC+1, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:41:45 -0700 (PDT), Jay Roi
> <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, June 18, 1996 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, Ranzer L. Averon wrote:
> >Wow I can't believe a retard like this guy posted this stupid shit way back when
> >I was 5 years old. I was smarter than this idiot even then hahaha
> And yet, it was /you/ who revived a 26-year old thread* ;-)
>
> But, of course, out of curiosity, I had to go back and read what the
> original poster wrote.** It's an... intriguing diatribe; a long and
> meandering post without too-few paragraph breaks that indicate a lack
> of concern about the readability of his writings.
>
> First impressions suggest it's a trollish shit-post, but I think the
> author was being earnest, if impolite and unable to distinguish that
> just because he didn't like a game didn't meant it wasn't any good.
> His assumptions that Ultima VII was awful because it isn't linear, or
> emphasis character and world interaction over combat were matters of
> personal taste. I mean, he does make some valid criticisms of the
> game; for all that I love Ultima VII, it's combat was the weakest part
> of the game, and its constant insistence that you nanny your followers
> quickly became tiresome. But its other strengths - while not focused
> on the sort of gameplay he preferred - are what made the game so
> memorable to so many others..
>
> Actually, what I disliked most about his post was that it failed to
> address how Ultima VII proved console superiority (as per his post's
> subject line). That he disliked the game was clear, but that was a
> subjective opinion. Nowhere did he provide convincing evidence that
> console RPGs were better on any objective way.

I'm currently playing ULTIMA VII in DOSBOX
There don't seem to be any working remakes and this DOSBOX is very jerky
I notice this "in the style of"
http://www.lycantic.com/
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<t0g57hpehbsio6iae5crvct3pi01hmbp0a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=182&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#182

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 14:05:10 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 4 May 2022 18:05 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 09:31:00 -0700 (PDT), Trimble Bracegirdle
<wimbatstrim@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm currently playing ULTIMA VII in DOSBOX
>There don't seem to be any working remakes and this DOSBOX is very jerky

Google 'Ultima 7 Exult'.

Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<iah67hlfuc88cl2cn01j35npt6ksnv6s16@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=183&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#183

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 23:42:47 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 5 May 2022 03:42 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 14:05:10 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 2022 09:31:00 -0700 (PDT), Trimble Bracegirdle
><wimbatstrim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm currently playing ULTIMA VII in DOSBOX
>>There don't seem to be any working remakes and this DOSBOX is very jerky
>
>Google 'Ultima 7 Exult'.

Exult was a miracle in code when it was first released. "Ultima 7"s
unique memory handling routines were a headache even during the DOS
days, but with the rise of Windows95 and XP, it literally was a
showstopper; thanks to the Voodoo memory manager, the game wouldn't
even start*. Exult fixed that, and made the game playable again. Even
knowing how it worked, it still seemed like magic; a C++ resurrection.

These days, with DOSBox being a perfectly viable option, Exult is no
longer quite as necessary (the only stuttering I get playing it on
DOSBox are stilted animations that were naturally part of the game),
and there's something to be said about playing the game from DOS.
Still, Exult has one really awesome feature that rarely gets
mentioned:

You can change the fucking font.

I love Ultima 7; I really do. And I've played the game at least a
dozen times. But, oh my god, the font the game shipped with -
especially when played at 320x200 resolution - was horrid; it
literally was became painful to play because of the necessary
eyestrain.

Exult fixed that. Maybe its not as earth-shaking a change as the
getting it to run under Win32s, but it made a huge difference
nonetheless.

---------------
* Yes, technically with Windows95 and 98 you could still drop to DOS,
but that wasn't considered a reasonable option for the majority of
gamers

Re: I just played Ultima 7....my opinions on why game consoles are SO much better....

<2cj77h1nsre8gh1iama75s2p6p9dt9l1cj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=184&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg#184

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 09:16:36 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:16 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 23:42:47 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>You can change the fucking font.

Seriously, I very recently watched someone who was playing this game
on Youtube and he was having trouble reading the text. So yeah
Trimble, Spalls is not kidding. The default font can be a nightmare to
deal with.