From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 12:09:14 -0700
 by: sms - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 19:09 UTC

Voice Calls
1. Verizon
2. AT&T
3. T-Mobile

SMS
1. Verizon & AT&T (tie)
2.
3. T-Mobile

The most interesting metric was the "State RootScore" that "studies
balance performance from dense urban areas, smaller towns, rural spaces,
and highways to paint a complete picture of the consumer mobile
experience at the state level." This is on page 4 of the pdf. Verizon
got a score of 264, AT&T got a score of 217, and T-Mobile got a score of 16.

Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"

<1wsgr97clnkw1.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17976&group=comp.mobile.android#17976

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 16:57:15 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:57 UTC

On Jul 25, 2021, sms wrote
(in article<news:sdkcst$t1r$1@dont-email.me>):
> Voice Calls
> 1. Verizon
> 2. AT&T
> 3. T-Mobile

I don't get it.
Once you choose a carrier that you like, how often do you switch?
Why?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"

<sdl64u$f15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17978&group=comp.mobile.android#17978

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
first half of 2021"
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 19:20:13 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:20 UTC

On 7/25/2021 5:57 PM, RonTheGuy wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2021, sms wrote
> (in article<news:sdkcst$t1r$1@dont-email.me>):
>> Voice Calls
>> 1. Verizon
>> 2. AT&T
>> 3. T-Mobile
>
> I don't get it.
> Once you choose a carrier that you like, how often do you switch?
> Why?

In the past, over the course of 20+ years, I've switched because of
coverage, the number of included voice minutes, the amount of included
data (pre-unlimited), network problems, included foreign roaming, price,
and to get subsidized phones.

I switched one line from AT&T to Pac Bell Wireless (which was bought by
Cingular and then T-Mobile) because Pac Bell Wireless was much less
expensive. After a year I went to Verizon because Pac Bell Wireless was
horrible in terms of coverage and network congestion.

I switched four lines from AT&T to T-Mobile to get foreign data (low
speed), included SMS, and 20 cent per minute voice calls, for a trip to
Europe and I switched four lines back to an AT&T MVNO because T-Mobile's
coverage in my area (California) is not very good (as the Rootmetrics
study proves).

I switched four lines to a Verizon MVNO because the AT&T MVNO didn't
have large enough data plans for four lines. That AT&T MVNO doesn't even
offer four line plans anymore.

I might switch four lines again, to a different Verizon MVNO, if US
Mobile begins to include hotspot data instead of charging $10 per line
for it. The attraction is that US Mobile includes 10GB per line of
foreign high-speed roaming data, something that no other carrier does.
They also include free Netflix (standard) like T-Mobile, or a choice of
other "perks" like Spotify family, Apple Music family, etc..

Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"

<l98fk8n75d6m.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17980&group=comp.mobile.android#17980

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 18:45:26 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:45 UTC

On Jul 25, 2021, sms wrote
(in article<news:sdl64u$f15$1@dont-email.me>):
> In the past, over the course of 20+ years, I've switched because of
> coverage, the number of included voice minutes, the amount of included
> data (pre-unlimited), network problems, included foreign roaming, price,
> and to get subsidized phones.

There are only 3 carriers of any importance in the USA.

How many times do you need to switch between three carriers before you
figure out which is better for you and then you stay on that best one?

> I might switch four lines again, to a different Verizon MVNO, if US
> Mobile begins to include hotspot data instead of charging $10 per line
> for it. The attraction is that US Mobile includes 10GB per line of
> foreign high-speed roaming data, something that no other carrier does.
> They also include free Netflix (standard) like T-Mobile, or a choice of
> other "perks" like Spotify family, Apple Music family, etc..

I can see switching if you have a bad plan but once you settle on a good
plan I can't see switching just for a single "perk" as you're describing.

Are people just picking bad plans so they switch until they find a good one?
Knowing there are only 3 carriers, how long should that take to figure out?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"

<sdlh1r$3ps$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17985&group=comp.mobile.android#17985

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
first half of 2021"
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 22:26:19 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 05:26 UTC

On 7/25/2021 7:45 PM, RonTheGuy wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2021, sms wrote
> (in article<news:sdl64u$f15$1@dont-email.me>):
>> In the past, over the course of 20+ years, I've switched because of
>> coverage, the number of included voice minutes, the amount of included
>> data (pre-unlimited), network problems, included foreign roaming, price,
>> and to get subsidized phones.
>
> There are only 3 carriers of any importance in the USA.
>
> How many times do you need to switch between three carriers before you
> figure out which is better for you and then you stay on that best one?

Three carriers, but a huge number of options. You have prepaid or
postpaid on all three. You have their alternate branded prepaid. You
have all the MVNOs. The carriers are trying to increase revenue per user
and the subscribers are trying to balance quality and price.

Re: "RootMetrics reports Verizon has the best overall network in the first half of 2021"

<sdllhq$rcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17988&group=comp.mobile.android#17988

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
first half of 2021"
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:43:06 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 06:43 UTC

Am 26.07.21 um 07:26 schrieb sms:
> On 7/25/2021 7:45 PM, RonTheGuy wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 2021, sms wrote
>> (in article<news:sdl64u$f15$1@dont-email.me>):
>>> In the past, over the course of 20+ years, I've switched because of
>>> coverage, the number of included voice minutes, the amount of included
>>> data (pre-unlimited), network problems, included foreign roaming, price,
>>> and to get subsidized phones.
>>
>> There are only 3 carriers of any importance in the USA.
>>
>> How many times do you need to switch between three carriers before you
>> figure out which is better for you and then you stay on that best one?
>
> Three carriers, but a huge number of options. You have prepaid or
> postpaid on all three. You have their alternate branded prepaid. You
> have all the MVNOs. The carriers are trying to increase revenue per user
> and the subscribers are trying to balance quality and price.

OT in all your crossposted groups.