Old programmers never die, they just hit account block limit.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

SubjectAuthor
* cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressMike Scott
+* Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressNic
|+* Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressMike Scott
||`* Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressNic
|| `- Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressphilo
|`- Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressPaul
+- Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressAndrei Z.
`- Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb addressMike Easter

1
cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<seguio$ob6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1801&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1801

From: usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:02:47 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:02 UTC

Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.

The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id of
17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising the
displaylink drivers don't work.

Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone here
had thoughts that might help salvage things.

Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?

Thanks.

(BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
ready to be installed. Unexpected.)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<mjTOI.163$NyB2.138@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1802&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1802

Subject: Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:18:41 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:18 UTC

On 8/5/21 11:02 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
> Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
> amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
> displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.
>
> The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id of
> 17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising the
> displaylink drivers don't work.
>
> Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone here
> had thoughts that might help salvage things.
>
> Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?
>

> Thanks.
>

> (BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
> ready to be installed. Unexpected.)

Could you include the link to amazon, not sure what a display adapter is

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<seh54m$pu8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1803&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1803

From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 19:54:46 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:54 UTC

Mike Scott wrote:
> Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
> amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
> displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.
>
> The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id of
> 17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising the
> displaylink drivers don't work.
>
> Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone here
> had thoughts that might help salvage things.
>
> Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?
>

> Thanks.
>

> (BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
> ready to be installed. Unexpected.)

FWIW

[S] Driver for an USB to HDMI Adapter - Manjaro Linux Forum

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/s-driver-for-an-usb-to-hdmi-adapter/130487

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<seh5h8$ivn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1804&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1804

From: usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 18:01:28 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:01 UTC

On 05/08/2021 16:18, Nic wrote:
> On 8/5/21 11:02 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>> Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
>> amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
>> displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.
>>
>> The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id of
>> 17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising the
>> displaylink drivers don't work.
>>
>> Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone here
>> had thoughts that might help salvage things.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> (BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
>> ready to be installed. Unexpected.)
>>

> Could you include the link to amazon, not sure what a display adapter is

Yes, sorry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Monitor-External-Upgraded-Black/dp/B08TGB4CL4

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<in2k4tFgfn8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1805&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1805

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 10:06:36 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:06 UTC

Mike Scott wrote:
> I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter

I have a RPi 3B ARM w/ HDMI output (its USB is 2) and my monitor VGA, so
I got a HDMI to VGA adapter.

--
Mike Easter

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<seh5rr$oum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1806&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1806

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 13:07:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:07 UTC

Nic wrote:
> On 8/5/21 11:02 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>> Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
>> amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
>> displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.
>>
>> The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id of
>> 17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising the
>> displaylink drivers don't work.
>>
>> Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone here
>> had thoughts that might help salvage things.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> (BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
>> ready to be installed. Unexpected.)
>>

> Could you include the link to amazon, not sure what a display adapter is

USB2 ---- converter_chip ----- DP_connector ---> Your LCD monitor

USB3 ---- converter_chip ----- DP_connector ---> Your LCD monitor

\__________________Adapter________________/

The driver, compresses graphics data on the left, which is
fed across the USB bus as packets, to the adapter.

The adapter contains a frame buffer, and via delta mods
and so on, it displays the derived image on the LCD monitor.

The USB2 version uses heavy compression.

The USB3 version uses light compression or no compression.
It depends on the display resolution, as to which option
applies.

It claims to be VGA here. MacroSilicon != DisplayLink corporation ?

https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/534d/6021

Name: MacroSilicon
Device: 6021 VGA Display Adapter

I suppose a person could go to the forum, and ask
why a counterfeit adapter doesn't work with the
official binary blob DisplayLink driver :-)

https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

libusb-1.0.so.0.2.0

"libusb is a C library that provides generic access to USB devices"

That means as long as "DisplayLinkManager" runs as root,
it can send stuff down the link to the dongle. It also
means DisplayLinkManager can sniff 534d:6021 and decide
whether it is a legitimate adapter from DisplayLink or not.

This is not like normal drivers, where bodging the VEN:DEV
in some config file and bobs yer uncle.

You can also tell from the forum f=29 above, just
how tentative the support is.

If there was a source download, maybe the answer would be
different. If all you can find is binary downloads, I can't
see how this is going to end well. Even if you make a
"Rule" to bind DisplayLink to this, the binary can still
check the details if it wants, and just stop.

Googling

MacroSilicon DisplayLink

gets me no relevant hits involving both words. You would
think, if the device is an attempt to steal the DisplayLink
Windows driver, there would be lawyerly words.

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/s-driver-for-an-usb-to-hdmi-adapter/130487/11

"after some crazy messing around"

So it seems there was some driver before DisplayLink released
theirs perhaps. The rate suggests an unsophisticated link
protocol was used to load the remote display.

The other curious part, is MacroSilicon does not list the 6021
in their chip section. Did the lawyers already kill it ? I
don't understand. Maybe even MacroSilicon doesn't know
they're making 534d:6021 ???

If I had this gem in my collection of questionable hardware,
I'd be running it in Windows, to see how the thievery works
there :-) And how they're getting a driver for it. See
if Windows has a default driver for it.

Somehow, more info is needed. The first step is... forensics.

Let's just hope it's not as bad as the FTDI incident.

Paul

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<tDXOI.34$9F6.23@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1807&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1807

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:13:12 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:13 UTC

On 8/5/21 1:01 PM, Mike Scott wrote:
> On 05/08/2021 16:18, Nic wrote:
>> On 8/5/21 11:02 AM, Mike Scott wrote:
>>> Hi all; I chanced my arm with a very cheap usb display adapter from
>>> amazon. It doesn't work of course, although it claims to be a
>>> displaylink device and I've installed the official d-l ubuntu drivers.
>>>
>>> The displaylink web site says all such devices have a usb vendor id
>>> of 17e9. This little box shows 534d:6021, so perhaps not surprising
>>> the displaylink drivers don't work.
>>>
>>> Before I send it back as 'not as described', I wondered if anyone
>>> here had thoughts that might help salvage things.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a (really cheap) usb video adapter for linux?
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> (BTW, this device includes fake usb memory with the windows drivers
>>> ready to be installed. Unexpected.)
>>>

>> Could you include the link to amazon, not sure what a display adapter is
>>

> Yes, sorry.
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Monitor-External-Upgraded-Black/dp/B08TGB4CL4

So what do you get on the other monitor? Assuming that your usb port on
your computer is working properly, it has been my experience that the
front end of my desktop usb ports did not work very well, frequent
dropped connections while attempting to copy data to a usb drive. My
solution was to use a powered usb hub connected to the rear usb ports
which come directly off the mb.

Re: cheap displaylink adapter wrong usb address

<shbovi$jqr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2030&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2030

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 20:45:22 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 01:45 UTC

On 8/5/21 3:13 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 8/5/21 1:01 PM, Mike Scott wrote:

>>> Could you include the link to amazon, not sure what a display adapter is
>>>

>> Yes, sorry.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Monitor-External-Upgraded-Black/dp/B08TGB4CL4
>>

> So what do you get on the other monitor? Assuming that your usb port on
> your computer is working properly, it has been my experience that the
> front end of my desktop usb ports did not work very well, frequent
> dropped connections while attempting to copy data to a usb drive. My
> solution was to use a powered usb hub connected to the rear usb ports
> which come directly off the mb.

Agree. The USB ports at the rear of most machines I work on are
fine...but periphery ports tend to work poorly or not at all.