"Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

devel / comp.theory / Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

SubjectAuthor
* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.DV
`* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.olcott
 `* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.DV
  `* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.olcott
   `* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.DV
    +* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.DV
    |`- Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.olcott
    `* Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.olcott
     `- Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.DV

1
Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<35b8efa3-4b7a-43bb-91da-bc760a2ee258n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18040&group=comp.theory#18040

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 17:32:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 00:32 UTC

Here is my social interaction for today:

A male I spoke to for about 5 seconds on a walk today said, "Got any weed, man?"

I didn't say anything much in response, and of course I don't condone illegal activity. I have never done illegal drugs.

Nevertheless, I do like it when people will talk to me and socialize with me. I really would like to talk again. I want to talk. I am not kidding. I deserve to be interacted with. If someone is going to try to make me feel pathetic for stating that I am being unfairly, I will not be affected. I would be happy to defend those who are willing to talk to me, including in person or email, from idiots who might mock them. It is easier and more appealing to me to defend those who are worried about talking to me when they interact with me sooner rather than later (I am not sharing the time of this brief interaction.)

Here is a question to ask your friends: "Would you still like me if I had a mental health condition?" (Hint: If you live in Virginia, they will probably lie and say "yes.")

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<6O-dnUvNFshmCHb9nZ2dnUU7-KHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18042&group=comp.theory#18042

Subject: Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:08:11 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:08 UTC

On 7/11/2021 7:32 PM, DV wrote:

> Here is my social interaction for today:
>
> A male I spoke to for about 5 seconds on a walk today said, "Got any weed, man?"
>
> I didn't say anything much in response, and of course I don't condone illegal activity. I have never done illegal drugs.
>
> Nevertheless, I do like it when people will talk to me and socialize with me. I really would like to talk again. I want to talk. I am not kidding. I deserve to be interacted with. If someone is going to try to make me feel pathetic for stating that I am being unfairly, I will not be affected. I would be happy to defend those who are willing to talk to me, including in person or email, from idiots who might mock them. It is easier and more appealing to me to defend those who are worried about talking to me when they interact with me sooner rather than later (I am not sharing the time of this brief interaction.)
>
> Here is a question to ask your friends: "Would you still like me if I had a mental health condition?" (Hint: If you live in Virginia, they will probably lie and say "yes.")

Philip: when you talk like you are talking in this message you seem
rational and reasonable. Your next post puts people off, they may get
the impression that it may be physically dangerous to talk to you.

You might have these same sort of issues in your body language when you
talk to people in person. I have a very close relative with huge mental
health issues. We remain very close personally.

Even though some of the things that he says are very very irrational he
has proven to be very kind and not dangerous. He can stay very very calm
even in great chaos.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<92a2c2e9-3561-44cd-a9fd-1b5553341e4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18047&group=comp.theory#18047

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 05:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:45 UTC

On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 9:08:19 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 7/11/2021 7:32 PM, DV wrote:
> >
> > Here is my social interaction for today:
> >
> > A male I spoke to for about 5 seconds on a walk today said, "Got any weed, man?"
> >
> > I didn't say anything much in response, and of course I don't condone illegal activity. I have never done illegal drugs.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I do like it when people will talk to me and socialize with me. I really would like to talk again. I want to talk. I am not kidding. I deserve to be interacted with. If someone is going to try to make me feel pathetic for stating that I am being unfairly, I will not be affected. I would be happy to defend those who are willing to talk to me, including in person or email, from idiots who might mock them. It is easier and more appealing to me to defend those who are worried about talking to me when they interact with me sooner rather than later (I am not sharing the time of this brief interaction.)
> >
> > Here is a question to ask your friends: "Would you still like me if I had a mental health condition?" (Hint: If you live in Virginia, they will probably lie and say "yes.")
> >
> Philip: when you talk like you are talking in this message you seem
> rational and reasonable. Your next post puts people off, they may get
> the impression that it may be physically dangerous to talk to you.
>
> You might have these same sort of issues in your body language when you
> talk to people in person. I have a very close relative with huge mental
> health issues. We remain very close personally.
>
> Even though some of the things that he says are very very irrational he
> has proven to be very kind and not dangerous. He can stay very very calm
> even in great chaos.
>

> --
> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
>
> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
> minds." Einstein

Like many of your other posts, this post of yours is highly inappropriate. I am not physically dangerous in any way.

You sound quite fake...like a "behavioral sine wave" as I described it in another post. It bothers me that you sound like you are trying to act like you are on my side, and then you are trying (quite feebly) to bother me emotionally by insulting my mental health.

Please understand that I am quite careful to be safe, wise, and law-abiding in all of my Usenet posts and other non-internet actions. I wish you would adhere to that standard, and also stop stating falsehoods on the internet about math.

I do think it would be in your interests to consult with a lawyer or at least the internet regarding cyber-stalking. I don't know for sure if you are in violation of such laws, but your behavior bothers me more now, particularly because of the build-up to your post. It doesn't affect me personally, but what I perceive as your attempt to mess with me is unsettling. Such an attempt might actually bother someone else with a mental health problem who doesn't have as much experience dealing with badly behaved people like you.

-Philip

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<F9adnfgtO79F1XH9nZ2dnUU7-YWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18050&group=comp.theory#18050

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:51:20 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:51 UTC

On 7/12/2021 7:45 AM, DV wrote:
> [...]
>
> Please understand that I am quite careful to be safe, wise, and law-abiding in all of my Usenet posts and other non-internet actions. I wish you would adhere to that standard, and also stop stating falsehoods on the internet about math.
>
> I do think it would be in your interests to consult with a lawyer or at least the internet regarding cyber-stalking. I don't know for sure if you are in violation of such laws, but your behavior bothers me more now, particularly because of the build-up to your post. It doesn't affect me personally, but what I perceive as your attempt to mess with me is unsettling. Such an attempt might actually bother someone else with a mental health problem who doesn't have as much experience dealing with badly behaved people like you.

I was just trying to help.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<827b96d4-5039-426a-8f19-8021228a179an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18068&group=comp.theory#18068

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:01 UTC

On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 9:51:27 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 7/12/2021 7:45 AM, DV wrote:

> >> Philip: when you talk like you are talking in this message you seem
> >> rational and reasonable. Your next post puts people off, they may get
> >> the impression that it may be physically dangerous to talk to you.
> >>
> >> You might have these same sort of issues in your body language when you
> >> talk to people in person. I have a very close relative with huge mental
> >> health issues. We remain very close personally.
> >>
> >> Even though some of the things that he says are very very irrational he
> >> has proven to be very kind and not dangerous. He can stay very very calm
> >> even in great chaos.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
> >>
> >> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
> >> minds." Einstein
> >
> > Like many of your other posts, this post of yours is highly inappropriate. I am not physically dangerous in any way.
> >
> > You sound quite fake...like a "behavioral sine wave" as I described it in another post. It bothers me that you sound like you are trying to act like you are on my side, and then you are trying (quite feebly) to bother me emotionally by insulting my mental health.
> >
> > Please understand that I am quite careful to be safe, wise, and law-abiding in all of my Usenet posts and other non-internet actions. I wish you would adhere to that standard, and also stop stating falsehoods on the internet about math.
> >
> > I do think it would be in your interests to consult with a lawyer or at least the internet regarding cyber-stalking. I don't know for sure if you are in violation of such laws, but your behavior bothers me more now, particularly because of the build-up to your post. It doesn't affect me personally, but what I perceive as your attempt to mess with me is unsettling. Such an attempt might actually bother someone else with a mental health problem who doesn't have as much experience dealing with badly behaved people like you.
> >
> > -Philip
> >
> I was just trying to help.
> --
> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
>
> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
> minds." Einstein

It is possible that you are telling the truth when you say that you were trying to help. I would like to impress upon you the importance of not indicating that a person with a mental health disability is "physically dangerous" to talk to. That is absurd and highly offensive, not unlike some of the other things you have said.

I am not out to bother you or mess with you emotionally. I don't know you, am not seeking to meet you in particular, and am merely talking on an internet forum (I am trying to do so carefully). I think you should think about what things you are saying that might constitute unprovoked and highly insulting "attacks" against other people that are unjustified. Such attacks could be characterized as extremely inappropriate, and possibly damaging to the target if not responded to.

As I noted, it doesn't hurt me emotionally to hear such outrageous and offensive commentary, but I would feel remiss if I presented myself as a good citizen and a defender of mental health rights, which I am, and then let anyone say something like that in my (electronic) presence without pointing out how inappropriate it is.

Please consider how a member of a different minority group would feel if presented in such a light.

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<f65a379a-ba63-4203-be0f-274383daf95an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18069&group=comp.theory#18069

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:32:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:32 UTC

On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 5:01:01 PM UTC-4, DV wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 9:51:27 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

> > > Like many of your other posts, this post of yours is highly inappropriate. I am not physically dangerous in any way.
> > >
> > > You sound quite fake...like a "behavioral sine wave" as I described it in another post. It bothers me that you sound like you are trying to act like you are on my side, and then you are trying (quite feebly) to bother me emotionally by insulting my mental health.
> > >
> > > Please understand that I am quite careful to be safe, wise, and law-abiding in all of my Usenet posts and other non-internet actions. I wish you would adhere to that standard, and also stop stating falsehoods on the internet about math.
> > >
> > > I do think it would be in your interests to consult with a lawyer or at least the internet regarding cyber-stalking. I don't know for sure if you are in violation of such laws, but your behavior bothers me more now, particularly because of the build-up to your post. It doesn't affect me personally, but what I perceive as your attempt to mess with me is unsettling. Such an attempt might actually bother someone else with a mental health problem who doesn't have as much experience dealing with badly behaved people like you.
> > >
> > > -Philip
> > >
> > I was just trying to help.
> > --
> > Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
> >
> > "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
> > minds." Einstein
> It is possible that you are telling the truth when you say that you were trying to help. I would like to impress upon you the importance of not indicating that a person with a mental health disability is "physically dangerous" to talk to. That is absurd and highly offensive, not unlike some of the other things you have said.
>
> I am not out to bother you or mess with you emotionally. I don't know you, am not seeking to meet you in particular, and am merely talking on an internet forum (I am trying to do so carefully). I think you should think about what things you are saying that might constitute unprovoked and highly insulting "attacks" against other people that are unjustified. Such attacks could be characterized as extremely inappropriate, and possibly damaging to the target if not responded to.
>
> As I noted, it doesn't hurt me emotionally to hear such outrageous and offensive commentary, but I would feel remiss if I presented myself as a good citizen and a defender of mental health rights, which I am, and then let anyone say something like that in my (electronic) presence without pointing out how inappropriate it is.
>
> Please consider how a member of a different minority group would feel if presented in such a light.

(FYI, I did notice that I sounded more aggressive in my criticism of you than I did towards some other idiotic post by a poster I saw in the past. I think the reason is that your post was not so extremely right-wing as to be difficult to read. I just said "That's absurd" to the other poster, because that post was so dumb I didn't want to waste my time trying to use reason to argue.)

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<5rOdnc7w_cELJXH9nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18070&group=comp.theory#18070

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:48:03 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:48 UTC

On 7/12/2021 4:01 PM, DV wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 9:51:27 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> Like many of your other posts, this post of yours is highly inappropriate. I am not physically dangerous in any way.
>>>
>>> You sound quite fake...like a "behavioral sine wave" as I described it in another post. It bothers me that you sound like you are trying to act like you are on my side, and then you are trying (quite feebly) to bother me emotionally by insulting my mental health.
>>>
>>> Please understand that I am quite careful to be safe, wise, and law-abiding in all of my Usenet posts and other non-internet actions. I wish you would adhere to that standard, and also stop stating falsehoods on the internet about math.
>>>
>>> I do think it would be in your interests to consult with a lawyer or at least the internet regarding cyber-stalking. I don't know for sure if you are in violation of such laws, but your behavior bothers me more now, particularly because of the build-up to your post. It doesn't affect me personally, but what I perceive as your attempt to mess with me is unsettling. Such an attempt might actually bother someone else with a mental health problem who doesn't have as much experience dealing with badly behaved people like you.
>>>
>>> -Philip
>>>
>> I was just trying to help.
>> --
>> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
>>
>> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
>> minds." Einstein
>
> It is possible that you are telling the truth when you say that you were trying to help. I would like to impress upon you the importance of not indicating that a person with a mental health disability is "physically dangerous" to talk to. That is absurd and highly offensive, not unlike some of the other things you have said.

None-the-less even though scientific studies have proven that mentally
ill people are very rarely dangerous the perception that mentally ill
people are dangerous is very wide-spread.

> I am not out to bother you or mess with you emotionally.

From some of the things that you said you seem to be a very good
person. In particular when you criticize some of the mean things that
others say this speaks good of you and justifiably ill of them.

> I don't know you, am not seeking to meet you in particular, and am merely talking on an internet forum (I am trying to do so carefully). I think you should think about what things you are saying that might constitute unprovoked and highly insulting "attacks" against other people that are unjustified. Such attacks could be characterized as extremely inappropriate, and possibly damaging to the target if not responded to.
>
> As I noted, it doesn't hurt me emotionally to hear such outrageous and offensive commentary, but I would feel remiss if I presented myself as a good citizen and a defender of mental health rights, which I am, and then let anyone say something like that in my (electronic) presence without pointing out how inappropriate it is.
>
> Please consider how a member of a different minority group would feel if presented in such a light.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<5rOdncnw_cGIJHH9nZ2dnUU7-WtQAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18071&group=comp.theory#18071

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:50:12 -0500
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:50 UTC

On 7/12/2021 4:32 PM, DV wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 5:01:01 PM UTC-4, DV wrote:

>>> I was just trying to help.
>>> --
>>> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
>>>
>>> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
>>> minds." Einstein
>> It is possible that you are telling the truth when you say that you were trying to help. I would like to impress upon you the importance of not indicating that a person with a mental health disability is "physically dangerous" to talk to. That is absurd and highly offensive, not unlike some of the other things you have said.
>>
>> I am not out to bother you or mess with you emotionally. I don't know you, am not seeking to meet you in particular, and am merely talking on an internet forum (I am trying to do so carefully). I think you should think about what things you are saying that might constitute unprovoked and highly insulting "attacks" against other people that are unjustified. Such attacks could be characterized as extremely inappropriate, and possibly damaging to the target if not responded to.
>>
>> As I noted, it doesn't hurt me emotionally to hear such outrageous and offensive commentary, but I would feel remiss if I presented myself as a good citizen and a defender of mental health rights, which I am, and then let anyone say something like that in my (electronic) presence without pointing out how inappropriate it is.
>>
>> Please consider how a member of a different minority group would feel if presented in such a light.
>
> (FYI, I did notice that I sounded more aggressive in my criticism of you than I did towards some other idiotic post by a poster I saw in the past. I think the reason is that your post was not so extremely right-wing as to be difficult to read. I just said "That's absurd" to the other poster, because that post was so dumb I didn't want to waste my time trying to use reason to argue.)

I am much closer to the extreme left than I am to the right. In fact I
call them by their proper name "the wrong".

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

Re: Wow, I sure wish people would talk to me more.

<879dbdef-8090-4701-8305-de2f9d698e5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18082&group=comp.theory#18082

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (DV)
 by: DV - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:48 UTC

On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 5:48:13 PM UTC-4, olcott wrote:
> On 7/12/2021 4:01 PM, DV wrote:

> >> I was just trying to help.
> >> --
> >> Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott
> >>
> >> "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
> >> minds." Einstein
> >
> > It is possible that you are telling the truth when you say that you were trying to help. I would like to impress upon you the importance of not indicating that a person with a mental health disability is "physically dangerous" to talk to. That is absurd and highly offensive, not unlike some of the other things you have said.
> >
> None-the-less even though scientific studies have proven that mentally
> ill people are very rarely dangerous the perception that mentally ill
> people are dangerous is very wide-spread.

Yes, I don't disagree with that...of course, a lot of perceptions are widespread.