Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.

devel / comp.arch / Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Decimal FPMichael S
+* Re: Decimal FPTerje Mathisen
|`* Re: Decimal FPMichael S
| `* Re: Decimal FPTerje Mathisen
|  `* Re: Decimal FPMichael S
|   `- Re: Decimal FPTerje Mathisen
`* Re: Decimal FPTim Rentsch
 +* Re: Decimal FPMichael S
 |`* Re: Decimal FPTerje Mathisen
 | `* Re: Decimal FPMichael S
 |  `* What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   +* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   |+* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   ||`* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   || +- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   || `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   ||  `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   |+- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   |`* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   | `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   +* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Stefan Monnier
 |   |`* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Michael S
 |   | +* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   | |+- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Chris M. Thomasson
 |   | |`* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Ivan Godard
 |   | | `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Terje Mathisen
 |   | |  `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Chris M. Thomasson
 |   | `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Stefan Monnier
 |   `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Tim Rentsch
 |    `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Ivan Godard
 |     `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Tim Rentsch
 |      `* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Ivan Godard
 |       +- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Thomas Koenig
 |       +* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?George Neuner
 |       |`* Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Ivan Godard
 |       | `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Quadibloc
 |       `- Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?Tim Rentsch
 `- Re: Decimal FPTim Rentsch

Pages:12
Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<240a2f82-9ea2-487d-86f7-f5eee4887f62n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=16349&group=comp.arch#16349

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
<ad3bc992-b8f6-44b3-bf67-6169b97492ean@googlegroups.com> <s2qqku$1ffd$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<3f366f00-f606-4ab4-83a9-7d4066816b63n@googlegroups.com> <86zgz2fqm6.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s2s94c$hrf$1@gioia.aioe.org> <809b7ff9-22e1-41c6-99e3-6b71699db1f8n@googlegroups.com>
<s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com>
<s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com> <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com> <s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com> <57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com>
<s5jrho$4ho$1@gioia.aioe.org>
Subject: Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?
From: already5...@yahoo.com (Michael S)
 by: Michael S - Thu, 22 Apr 2021 21:54 UTC

On Monday, April 19, 2021 at 3:03:10 PM UTC+3, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Michael S wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 2:58:54 AM UTC+3, Michael S wrote:

> So it looks like your code is 3 to 10 x faster than most of the current

> >> Comparison is not apple to apple yet. My code does not handle many
> >> standard features yet: - it ignores rounding modes and always
> >> rounds to nearest even - it always uses '.' as a decimal point
> >> instead of the character, specified by current locale. Personally,
> >> I see the later as misfeature, but standard implementation has to
> >> to do it regardless of my opinion - it does not accept post-C90
> >> stuff - "inf", "nan", 0x. I am not close on whether I consider the
> >> first couple as misfeatures, but see above - it does not set errno
> >> on overflow. IMHO, the whole errno busyness is one big misfeature,
> >> but see above
> >>
> >> That's on the negative side. On the positive side, I still have few
> >> tricks up my sleeve that can make my code faster. But they mostly
> >> apply to improving worst cases rather than to improving common,
> >> practical cases.
> >
> > In the mean time I implemented a few speed improvements. As expected,
> > they mostly improved bad artificial cases with insignificant effect
> > on the speed of the common case. I also included support for
> > non-default rounding modes and found out that its impact on the speed
> > is moderate. In few days (evenings) I can add the rest of the
> > standard stuff. Now I am more or less certain that even after all
> > those additions my implementation will remain measurably faster than
> > glibc and several times faster than other common implementations,
> > except, possibly pre-VS2015 VisualC++, which is fast but makes no
> > attempt to achieve perfect rounding.
> :-(
> >
> > So, now comes the question, "What to do with it?". After all, it is
> > starting to look somewhat valuable, more valuable than majority of my
> > hobby stuff that I normally abandon after inevitable loss of
> > interest.
> >
> > My original plan was to try to give it to Bruce Evans, both because
> > I prefer give-away style of licenses for my hobby output and because
> > of all popular libraries that people tested for me, FreeBSD was
> If you finish this up, then I'll ask phk of FreeBSD & NTP fame about how
> it can be moved into FreeBSD.

Finished.
A name of complete version is my_strtod99.c

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<3c3ab4f1-12c3-4f0a-ac08-4e5d454ef213n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17619&group=comp.arch#17619

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 07:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
<s5jrho$4ho$1@gioia.aioe.org> <240a2f82-9ea2-487d-86f7-f5eee4887f62n@googlegroups.com>
From: already5...@yahoo.com (Michael S)
 by: Michael S - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:26 UTC

Hi, Terje
Did you talk with your FreeBSD friends?

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<sa2rqt$17ul$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17653&group=comp.arch#17653

From: terje.ma...@tmsw.no (Terje Mathisen)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 19:45:02 +0200
[...]
 by: Terje Mathisen - Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:45 UTC

Oops, thanks for the reminder!

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>

Re: Decimal FP

<86h7hwctoy.fsf@linuxsc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17867&group=comp.arch#17867

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Decimal FP
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 10:00:29 -0700
References: <2021Feb23.095638@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> <51301f08-890d-4ba1-90d0-5f0ab86ea2dan@googlegroups.com> <s2o9lm$bdk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ad3bc992-b8f6-44b3-bf67-6169b97492ean@googlegroups.com> <s2qqku$1ffd$1@gioia.aioe.org> <3f366f00-f606-4ab4-83a9-7d4066816b63n@googlegroups.com> <86zgz2fqm6.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s2s94c$hrf$1@gioia.aioe.org> <809b7ff9-22e1-41c6-99e3-6b71699db1f8n@googlegroups.com> <s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com> <s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com> <c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com> <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com> <13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
sha1:X3bvmdVSVqRSzzYK7+8inghAE00=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:00 UTC

Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> writes:

> Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 8:48:58 AM UTC+3, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I confess I don't yet understand what you are proposing well
>>> enough to respond to it usefully. Can you describe what you are
>>> suggesting more specifically? Just what the algorithm is, not
>>> any analysis about runtime performance.
>>>
>>> After looking at that I may have further responses to your other
>>> comments but I would like to get a better understanding of what
>>> you're suggesting before I do that.
>>
>> My initial proposal, as outlined in one of the posts above, only
>> partially survived an encounter with reality of detailed coding.
>>
>> So, the current plan* is:
>> [detailed description]
>
> Thank you for this. It took me some time to read through it
> but I believe it answers my questions.
>
>> * it's more than a plan at this stage.
>> I finished an initial implementation that appears to be working.
>> You can see it in my public github repo.
>> https://github.com/already5chosen/strtod/blob/master/big/my_strtod.c
>> It still needs a thorough testing, polish and tuning.
>> While writing out this post, I realized that there is a place for few
>> minor improvements of algorithm, too.
>
> I would like to get something of my own working before I look at
> this. I'm pretty deeply involved in another project at the
> moment so that may be a while. But thank you again, your
> comments are interesting.

A short followup here.. my project work has no signs of letting
up anytime soon, so I have to put the decimal conversion stuff on
indefinite hold. I do hope to get back to it, but it can't be
for a while yet.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17868&group=comp.arch#17868

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 10:25:43 -0700
References: <2021Feb23.095638@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> <3f366f00-f606-4ab4-83a9-7d4066816b63n@googlegroups.com> <86zgz2fqm6.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s2s94c$hrf$1@gioia.aioe.org> <809b7ff9-22e1-41c6-99e3-6b71699db1f8n@googlegroups.com> <s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com> <s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com> <c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com> <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com> <13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com> <s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com> <57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:Sieh796AUflFGikVtVedgasftPs=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:25 UTC

Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 2:58:54 AM UTC+3, Michael S wrote:

>>> So it looks like your code is 3 to 10 x faster than most of the current
>>> standard implementations?
>>>
>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> --
>>> - <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
>>> "almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
>>
>> Comparison is not apple to apple yet.
>> My code does not handle many standard features yet:
>> - it ignores rounding modes and always rounds to nearest even
>> - it always uses '.' as a decimal point instead of the character,
>> specified by current locale. Personally, I see the later as
>> misfeature, but standard implementation has to to do it regardless of
>> my opinion
>> - it does not accept post-C90 stuff - "inf", "nan", 0x. I am not
>> close on whether I consider the first couple as misfeatures, but see
>> above
>> - it does not set errno on overflow. IMHO, the whole errno busyness
>> is one big misfeature, but see above
>>
>> That's on the negative side.
>> On the positive side, I still have few tricks up my sleeve that can
>> make my code faster. But they mostly apply to improving worst cases
>> rather than to
>> improving common, practical cases.
>
> In the mean time I implemented a few speed improvements.
> As expected, they mostly improved bad artificial cases with
> insignificant effect on the speed of the common case.
> I also included support for non-default rounding modes and found out
> that its impact on the speed is moderate.
> In few days (evenings) I can add the rest of the standard stuff. Now
> I am more or less certain that even after all those additions my
> implementation will remain measurably faster than glibc and several
> times faster than other common implementations, except, possibly
> pre-VS2015 VisualC++, which is fast but makes no attempt to achieve
> perfect rounding.
>
> So, now comes the question, "What to do with it?".
> After all, it is starting to look somewhat valuable, more valuable
> than majority of my hobby stuff that I normally abandon after
> inevitable loss of interest.
>
> My original plan was to try to give it to Bruce Evans, both because
> I prefer give-away style of licenses for my hobby output and because
> of all popular libraries that people tested for me, FreeBSD was
> slowest. And, of course, because I knew, from discussions on
> comp.arch, that Bruce is knowledgeable and reasonable person.
> Sadly, yesterday I found out that Bruce passed away in 2019, same
> year he last posted here.
>
> So, by now I have no idea where to go next.
> What do you, people think?

Just a few ideas or suggestions -

(1) Provide strtof() and strtold() as well as strtod() (you may
well already do this, I haven't looked).

(2) Provide additional entry points that take a rounding mode as
a parameter rather than using fegetenv(). The outer functions
could get the current rounding mode and then simply call the
parameter-accepting ones.

(3) There may be a possible marketplace for compilers as opposed
to standard libraries. That seems like it might at least be
worth looking in to.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17872&group=comp.arch#17872

From: iva...@millcomputing.com (Ivan Godard)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 10:33:08 -0700
<86zgz2fqm6.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s2s94c$hrf$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<809b7ff9-22e1-41c6-99e3-6b71699db1f8n@googlegroups.com>
<s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com>
<s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com>
<8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com>
<86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com>
<s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com>
<57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com>
<86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 by: Ivan Godard - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:33 UTC

On 6/17/2021 10:25 AM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Michael S <already5chosen@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Comparison is not apple to apple yet.
>>> My code does not handle many standard features yet:
>>> - it ignores rounding modes and always rounds to nearest even
>>> - it always uses '.' as a decimal point instead of the character,
>>> specified by current locale. Personally, I see the later as
>>> misfeature, but standard implementation has to to do it regardless of
>>> my opinion
>>> - it does not accept post-C90 stuff - "inf", "nan", 0x. I am not
>>> close on whether I consider the first couple as misfeatures, but see
>>> above
>>> - it does not set errno on overflow. IMHO, the whole errno busyness
>>> is one big misfeature, but see above
>>>
>>> That's on the negative side.
>>> On the positive side, I still have few tricks up my sleeve that can
>>> make my code faster. But they mostly apply to improving worst cases
>>> rather than to
>>> improving common, practical cases.
>>
>> In the mean time I implemented a few speed improvements.
>> As expected, they mostly improved bad artificial cases with
>> insignificant effect on the speed of the common case.
>> I also included support for non-default rounding modes and found out
>> that its impact on the speed is moderate.
>> In few days (evenings) I can add the rest of the standard stuff. Now
>> I am more or less certain that even after all those additions my
>> implementation will remain measurably faster than glibc and several
>> times faster than other common implementations, except, possibly
>> pre-VS2015 VisualC++, which is fast but makes no attempt to achieve
>> perfect rounding.
>>
>> So, now comes the question, "What to do with it?".
>> After all, it is starting to look somewhat valuable, more valuable
>> than majority of my hobby stuff that I normally abandon after
>> inevitable loss of interest.
>>
>> My original plan was to try to give it to Bruce Evans, both because
>> I prefer give-away style of licenses for my hobby output and because
>> of all popular libraries that people tested for me, FreeBSD was
>> slowest. And, of course, because I knew, from discussions on
>> comp.arch, that Bruce is knowledgeable and reasonable person.
>> Sadly, yesterday I found out that Bruce passed away in 2019, same
>> year he last posted here.
>>
>> So, by now I have no idea where to go next.
>> What do you, people think?
>
> Just a few ideas or suggestions -
>
> (1) Provide strtof() and strtold() as well as strtod() (you may
> well already do this, I haven't looked).
>
> (2) Provide additional entry points that take a rounding mode as
> a parameter rather than using fegetenv(). The outer functions
> could get the current rounding mode and then simply call the
> parameter-accepting ones.
>
> (3) There may be a possible marketplace for compilers as opposed
> to standard libraries. That seems like it might at least be
> worth looking in to.

The market for compilers is limited by the presence of competitors who
give compilers away for free.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18077&group=comp.arch#18077

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 20:55:42 -0700
References: <2021Feb23.095638@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> <s2s94c$hrf$1@gioia.aioe.org> <809b7ff9-22e1-41c6-99e3-6b71699db1f8n@googlegroups.com> <s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com> <s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com> <c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com> <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com> <13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com> <s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com> <57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com> <86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me>
sha1:Jcd/mNNWGlxXkmcWyCVGeeYQxrs=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 03:55 UTC

Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> writes:

> On 6/17/2021 10:25 AM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> (3) There may be a possible marketplace for compilers as opposed
>> to standard libraries. That seems like it might at least be
>> worth looking in to.
>
> The market for compilers is limited by the presence of competitors
> who give compilers away for free.

I meant in the sense of an intellectual marketplace, not an
economic marketplace.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<sb6ee7$pn0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18081&group=comp.arch#18081

From: iva...@millcomputing.com (Ivan Godard)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 22:37:11 -0700
<s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com>
<8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com>
<86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com>
<s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com>
<57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com>
<86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me>
<86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com>
 by: Ivan Godard - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 05:37 UTC

On 6/25/2021 8:55 PM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
> Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> writes:
>
>> On 6/17/2021 10:25 AM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> (3) There may be a possible marketplace for compilers as opposed
>>> to standard libraries. That seems like it might at least be
>>> worth looking in to.
>>
>> The market for compilers is limited by the presence of competitors
>> who give compilers away for free.
>
> I meant in the sense of an intellectual marketplace, not an
> economic marketplace.

Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so the
intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<sb6l4t$9co$2@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18083&group=comp.arch#18083

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
<s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com>
<8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com>
<86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com>
<e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com>
<s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com>
<57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com>
<86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me>
<86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sb6ee7$pn0$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Thomas Koenig - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:31 UTC

Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> schrieb:
> On 6/25/2021 8:55 PM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>> Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> writes:

>>> The market for compilers is limited by the presence of competitors
>>> who give compilers away for free.
>>
>> I meant in the sense of an intellectual marketplace, not an
>> economic marketplace.
>
> Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so the
> intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.

Some do.

gfortran has been maintained exclusively by unpaid volunteers for
more than 15 years (not that we mind that some organizations put
money into it now).

Of course, you could argue that gfortran is not a compiler in itself,
but a front end to gcc.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<hluedgtpbru49jck70itj4t5jvcpu62gf7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18111&group=comp.arch#18111

From: gneun...@comcast.net (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:07:59 -0400
References: <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com> <13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com> <s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com> <57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com> <86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me> <86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sb6ee7$pn0$1@dont-email.me>
 by: George Neuner - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:07 UTC

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 22:37:11 -0700, Ivan Godard
<ivan@millcomputing.com> wrote:

>Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so the
>intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.

To a point 8-) There always will be some grad students who want to
make a contribution.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<sb8tjt$eco$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18123&group=comp.arch#18123

From: iva...@millcomputing.com (Ivan Godard)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 21:08:29 -0700
<86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me>
<86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sb6ee7$pn0$1@dont-email.me>
<hluedgtpbru49jck70itj4t5jvcpu62gf7@4ax.com>
 by: Ivan Godard - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 04:08 UTC

On 6/26/2021 12:07 PM, George Neuner wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 22:37:11 -0700, Ivan Godard
> <ivan@millcomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so the
>> intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.
>
> To a point 8-) There always will be some grad students who want to
> make a contribution.

Every time I see the subject tag of this thread, I think you should put
whipped cream on your strtodl.

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<3cc496b6-b107-4d77-acba-7054add41e21n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18124&group=comp.arch#18124

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 21:57:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 04:57 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 10:08:32 PM UTC-6, Ivan Godard wrote:
> On 6/26/2021 12:07 PM, George Neuner wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 22:37:11 -0700, Ivan Godard
> > <iv...@millcomputing.com> wrote:

> >> Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so the
> >> intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.

> > To a point 8-) There always will be some grad students who want to
> > make a contribution.

> Every time I see the subject tag of this thread, I think you should put
> whipped cream on your strtodl.

I can see whipped cream going with, say, apple strudel, but I don't think
it would add anything to strtod_l().

John Savard

Re: What should I do with my strtod() ?

<86czs69q6o.fsf@linuxsc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18150&group=comp.arch#18150

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 04:36:15 -0700
References: <2021Feb23.095638@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> <s2sset$1ja2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <6405783e-0ce9-4999-9d49-76d8b2f55353n@googlegroups.com> <s2tme1$1cjp$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86mtuzf7zz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s34u20$1rdg$1@gioia.aioe.org> <86eeg7g226.fsf@linuxsc.com> <s39fs4$1led$1@gioia.aioe.org> <867dlyks85.fsf@linuxsc.com> <c668df13-33c3-4926-8f4a-2759b718d356n@googlegroups.com> <8635wfltfc.fsf@linuxsc.com> <13938968-b4d5-4d2a-befc-586304aec5cbn@googlegroups.com> <86zgygiwlz.fsf@linuxsc.com> <e8573dc4-d91f-44ec-a257-28d27befef84n@googlegroups.com> <s4an5c$1ctc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <b5224677-14b4-4375-8a02-e17bf8444da1n@googlegroups.com> <57f47932-4978-452e-b19f-53172e34c672n@googlegroups.com> <86czskcsiw.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sag10j$rhb$2@dont-email.me> <86tull9t4x.fsf@linuxsc.com> <sb6ee7$pn0$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:Ai9lCnjGTs7oP/FcyYJIjY5fYgo=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 11:36 UTC

Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> writes:

> On 6/25/2021 8:55 PM, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>
>> Ivan Godard <ivan@millcomputing.com> writes:

>>> The market for compilers is limited by the presence of competitors
>>> who give compilers away for free.
>>
>> I meant in the sense of an intellectual marketplace, not an
>> economic marketplace.
>
> Improvements to compilers require salaries for compiler writers, so
> the intellectual marketplace is congruent to the economic.

I don't agree with this conclusion, but as long as people
understand what is being suggested I'm okay with leaving
this question unresolved.