From: rdb...@usa.usa (rdb)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: R e: aioe
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 01:34:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rdb - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 01:34 UTC

On 26 Jan 2023, "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> posted some
news:tqu6vn$189cb$1@dont-email.me:

> On 1/25/2023 11:29 PM, Paul Bergsagel wrote:
>> aioe seems to be taken offline. are there any free ways to access
>> alt.comp.software.com, maybe using goole--help how to do it.
>
> I sent an E-mail to AIOE's administrator. Here is his reply --
>
>> The RAID controller failed and its failure damaged the contents of
>> the disks. Today or tomorrow they let me know what can be recovered,
>> if nothing the recovery times will be long

Dunno what he has, but another RAID controller, same number of identical
replacement disks and DD would give his admins something to work with.

Even if the RAID arrays are gone, if he knows what the arrays / VD configs
were, they can add each disk into a RAID0 disk separately, DD image it to
another drive, carefully labeling each and continue until all are done.
Put the carefully labeled originals aside and work on the copies.

Then the fun starts. Assuming the config is known, retag the drives with
the original config and do not initialize. If there is recoverable data
it should now be available to work with. Sometimes it's not as bad as you
thought. Yes there are cases where it is all just ..gone..

I recovered several SQL servers without any data loss using this
technique. Helped that the log files were available so they could be
replayed.

It sucks when you encounter this problem. Horrible actually because it's
a lot of work to restore a system and it's never the same. If critical
data can be recovered, it's an even trade off assuming all works again.

Re: R e: aioe

<1q58vy3.1ll6rdqk7irh4N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1794&group=alt.free.newsservers#1794

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Re: R e: aioe
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 02:00:21 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 02:00 UTC

rdb <rdb@usa.usa> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2023, "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> posted some
>
> > On 1/25/2023 11:29 PM, Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> >> aioe seems to be taken offline. are there any free ways to access
> >> alt.comp.software.com, maybe using goole--help how to do it.
> >
> > I sent an E-mail to AIOE's administrator. Here is his reply --
> >
> >> The RAID controller failed and its failure damaged the contents of
> >> the disks. Today or tomorrow they let me know what can be recovered,
> >> if nothing the recovery times will be long
>
> Dunno what he has, but another RAID controller, same number of identical
> replacement disks and DD would give his admins something to work with.
>
> Even if the RAID arrays are gone, if he knows what the arrays / VD configs
> were, they can add each disk into a RAID0 disk separately, DD image it to
> another drive, carefully labeling each and continue until all are done.
> Put the carefully labeled originals aside and work on the copies.
>
> Then the fun starts. Assuming the config is known, retag the drives with
> the original config and do not initialize. If there is recoverable data
> it should now be available to work with. Sometimes it's not as bad as you
> thought. Yes there are cases where it is all just ..gone..

Would you expect colo techs providing a budget service
to go to all that trouble?... :(

> I recovered several SQL servers without any data loss using this
> technique. Helped that the log files were available so they could be
> replayed.
>
> It sucks when you encounter this problem. Horrible actually because it's
> a lot of work to restore a system and it's never the same. If critical
> data can be recovered, it's an even trade off assuming all works again.

I would hate to have this problem even if I could get hands-on :((

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

Rock music: <https://imgur.com/gallery/duV5yqj>

Re: R e: aioe

<trdc0f$1m7cb$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1824&group=alt.free.newsservers#1824

From: rdb...@usa.usa (rdb)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:39:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rdb - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 09:39 UTC

On 27 Jan 2023, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) posted some

> rdb <rdb@usa.usa> wrote:
>
>> On 26 Jan 2023, "David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> posted some

>> > I sent an E-mail to AIOE's administrator. Here is his reply --

>> Dunno what he has, but another RAID controller, same number of
>> identical replacement disks and DD would give his admins something to
>> work with.
>>
>> Even if the RAID arrays are gone, if he knows what the arrays / VD
>> configs were, they can add each disk into a RAID0 disk separately, DD
>> image it to another drive, carefully labeling each and continue until
>> all are done. Put the carefully labeled originals aside and work on
>> the copies.
>>
>> Then the fun starts. Assuming the config is known, retag the drives
>> with the original config and do not initialize. If there is
>> recoverable data it should now be available to work with. Sometimes
>> it's not as bad as you thought. Yes there are cases where it is all
>> just ..gone..
>>

> Would you expect colo techs providing a budget service
> to go to all that trouble?... :(

In the vast majority of cases nope.

>> I recovered several SQL servers without any data loss using this
>> technique. Helped that the log files were available so they could be
>> replayed.
>>
>> It sucks when you encounter this problem. Horrible actually because
>> it's a lot of work to restore a system and it's never the same. If
>> critical data can be recovered, it's an even trade off assuming all
>> works again.
>>

> I would hate to have this problem even if I could get hands-on :((

If you have the hardware you can practice it. The tough part is figuring
out the original RAID configuration if nobody knows.