The amount of weight an evangelist carries with the almighty is measured in billigrahams.

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: VSI community license

SubjectAuthor
* VSI community licensePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
+* Re: VSI community licenseSimon Clubley
|`* Re: VSI community licensePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
| `* Re: VSI community licenseChris Townley
|  +* Re: VSI community licensePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
|  |`- Re: VSI community licenseChris Townley
|  `- Re: VSI community licenseDavid Wade
`* Re: VSI community licenseDave Froble
 +* Re: VSI community licenseChris Townley
 |`- Re: VSI community licenseDave Froble
 `* Re: VSI community licensePhillip Helbig (undress to reply
  `- Re: VSI community licenseDave Froble

1
VSI community license

<sl60ho$1ume$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18235&group=comp.os.vms#18235

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: VSI community license
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:22:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:22 UTC

So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.

Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)

At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
I should install. I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
(as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).

What do folks here with experience suggest?

Re: VSI community license

<sl66eu$bai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18237&group=comp.os.vms#18237

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: VSI community license
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:03:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 12:03 UTC

On 2021-10-25, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
> tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
>
> Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
> from an iPad? :-)

What error message did you get when you tried it ?

Simon.

Re: VSI community license

<sl6ans$11h9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18242&group=comp.os.vms#18242

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:16:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:16 UTC

In article <sl66eu$bai$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> On 2021-10-25, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
> > So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
> > tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
> >
> > Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
> > from an iPad? :-)
> >

> What error message did you get when you tried it ?

None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.

Will try later from my wife's MacBook.

I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
LYNX, but I don't know).

Re: VSI community license

<sl6deg$ud8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18245&group=comp.os.vms#18245

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:02:54 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:02 UTC

On 25/10/2021 14:16, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <sl66eu$bai$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>
>> On 2021-10-25, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig@asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
>>> So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
>>> tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
>>>
>>> Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
>>> from an iPad? :-)
>>>

>> What error message did you get when you tried it ?
>
> None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
> a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
>
> Will try later from my wife's MacBook.
>
> I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
> LYNX, but I don't know).

Was that with the built in browser?

Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad

--
Chris

Re: VSI community license

<sl6ehn$14h6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18246&group=comp.os.vms#18246

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:21:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:21 UTC

In article <sl6deg$ud8$1@dont-email.me>, Chris Townley
<news@cct-net.co.uk> writes:

> >> What error message did you get when you tried it ?
> >
> > None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
> > a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.

> Was that with the built in browser?

Yes, with Safari.

> Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad

I had loaded Chrome before, but haven't used it much. Now I remember
why: it asks me for EVERY PAGE if I want it to be translated. Yes, that
can probably be configured, but the main goal of all software should be
SENSIBLE DEFAULTS.

OK. Exactly the same behaviour.

Lynx actually does forms rather well, but the page in Lynx says that the
form has already been submitted, and has ALT tags "Spinner" for the
wheels mentioned above. :-(

Re: VSI community license

<sl6f29$a0q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18247&group=comp.os.vms#18247

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:30:31 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:30 UTC

On 25/10/2021 15:21, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:

>>> None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
>>> a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
>
>> Was that with the built in browser?
>
> Yes, with Safari.
>
>> Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad
>
> I had loaded Chrome before, but haven't used it much. Now I remember
> why: it asks me for EVERY PAGE if I want it to be translated. Yes, that
> can probably be configured, but the main goal of all software should be
> SENSIBLE DEFAULTS.
>
> OK. Exactly the same behaviour.
>
> Lynx actually does forms rather well, but the page in Lynx says that the
> form has already been submitted, and has ALT tags "Spinner" for the
> wheels mentioned above. :-(

Might be you are blocking pop ups - see if that helps. Otherwise try
again with Chrome, but in an incognito windows - that has helped me before

--
Chris

Re: VSI community license

<sl6hgc$voq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18249&group=comp.os.vms#18249

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:11:57 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:11 UTC

On 10/25/2021 6:22 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
> tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.

Have a nice wait ...

> Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
> from an iPad? :-)
>
> At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
> I should install. I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
> hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
> (as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).

For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)

Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: VSI community license

<sl6kma$oat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18252&group=comp.os.vms#18252

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 17:06:32 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:06 UTC

On 25/10/2021 16:11, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 10/25/2021 6:22 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
>> tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
>
> Have a nice wait ...
>
>> Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
>> from an iPad?  :-)
>>
>> At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
>> I should install.  I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
>> hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
>> (as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).
>
> For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
> There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
> versions.  (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)
>
> Both are identical code.  2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities.  While
> there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much
> advantage?
> Probably not.  For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.

I believe V8.4 2L2 is not available to hobbyists

--
Chris

Re: VSI community license

<sl71mq$tm2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18257&group=comp.os.vms#18257

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:48:27 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:48 UTC

On 10/25/2021 12:06 PM, Chris Townley wrote:
> On 25/10/2021 16:11, Dave Froble wrote:
>> On 10/25/2021 6:22 AM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>>> So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
>>> tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
>>
>> Have a nice wait ...
>>
>>> Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
>>> from an iPad? :-)
>>>
>>> At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
>>> I should install. I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
>>> hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
>>> (as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).
>>
>> For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
>> There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
>> versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)
>>
>> Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
>> there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
>> Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.
>>

> I believe V8.4 2L2 is not available to hobbyists

It is not needed ...

I've got it ...

:-)

I'm not a hobbyist ...

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: VSI community license

<sl71qo$1e97$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18258&group=comp.os.vms#18258

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:50:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:50 UTC

In article <sl6hgc$voq$1@dont-email.me>, Dave Froble
<davef@tsoft-inc.com> writes:

> For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
> There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
> versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)

Yes they did, because they said a) that a mixed Alpha/x86 cluster would
be offered and b) that that VMS on Alpha would have to be from VSI.
That was in the very first announcement in the conference call.

> Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
> there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
> Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.

I have all CPUs, but some EV56 still in use. I don't really care about
the advantage at this point, especially since there is an EV6 in the
cluster if I need it. The more important issue is fresh install vs.
upgrade.

Re: VSI community license

<sl748e$hb1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18260&group=comp.os.vms#18260

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:31:58 -0400
 by: Dave Froble - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:31 UTC

On 10/25/2021 3:50 PM, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <sl6hgc$voq$1@dont-email.me>, Dave Froble
> <davef@tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>
>> For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
>> There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
>> versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)
>
> Yes they did, because they said a) that a mixed Alpha/x86 cluster would
> be offered and b) that that VMS on Alpha would have to be from VSI.
> That was in the very first announcement in the conference call.

That might have been a patch they intended. Doesn't matter, it now exists.

>> Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
>> there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
>> Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.
>
> I have all CPUs, but some EV56 still in use. I don't really care about
> the advantage at this point, especially since there is an EV6 in the
> cluster if I need it. The more important issue is fresh install vs.
> upgrade.

I would seriously suggest a fresh install. There might be some old cruff
around that might cause problems.

Installing VMS is trivial.

Adding in site customizations takes more effort.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: VSI community license

<sl820m$i5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18269&group=comp.os.vms#18269

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:00:06 +0100
 by: David Wade - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 05:00 UTC

On 25/10/2021 15:02, Chris Townley wrote:
> On 25/10/2021 14:16, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
>> In article <sl66eu$bai$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
>> <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

>>> What error message did you get when you tried it ?
>>
>> None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
>> a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
>>
>> Will try later from my wife's MacBook.
>>
>> I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
>> LYNX, but I don't know).
>>

> Was that with the built in browser?
>
> Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad

Its pretty pointless loading Chrome on an iPad. Apple T&Cs mean it uses
the same underlying rendering engine that Safari does...

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/22/safari_risks_becoming_the_new_ie/

and so has the same bugs...

Dave