From: khro...@CWSHACK.remove-jh6-this (Khronos)
Subject: Node lists for different nets
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:51:22 -0300
 by: Khronos - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 11:51 UTC

Hi all,
I ran the setup wizard and was able to add fsxnet to my system and got messages passing back and forth.
How important are the node lists for these type of nets to have and keep updated on my system?
Are these lists used only for private netmail, or do they serve some other functions as well?
Also are there scripts that can run that will keep my system updated with the latest versions for each net or is this something I will have to babysit from time to time?

Thanks,

---
■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: Node lists for different nets

<20230410112555.3d19d143@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18509&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18509

From: nel...@EOTLBBS.remove-5et-this (Nelgin)
Subject: Re: Node lists for different nets
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 11:25:55 -0500
 by: Nelgin - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:25 UTC

To: Khronos
On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:51:22 -0300
"Khronos" (VERT/CWSHACK) <VERT/CWSHACK!Khronos@endofthelinebbs.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
> I ran the setup wizard and was able to add fsxnet to my system and
> got messages passing back and forth. How important are the node lists
> for these type of nets to have and keep updated on my system? Are
> these lists used only for private netmail, or do they serve some
> other functions as well? Also are there scripts that can run that
> will keep my system updated with the latest versions for each net or
> is this something I will have to babysit from time to time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ Cw Shack telnet kf4yey.com
tic will keep nodelists updated for you, as long as the network sends
them out. You only need to set it up once and you're done when you
setup your network.
This is my /sbbs/ctrl/tickit.ini entry for fsxnet.
[FSX_NODE]
Dir=FSXFILEFSX_NODE
Handler=tickit/nodelist_handler.js
HandlerArg={"domain":"fsxnet" ,"match":"FSXNET.Z*",
"nlmatch":"FSXNET.*"}
domain is the entry you made for the network in echocfg. match is the
incoming filename, and nlmatch is the name of the nodelist within the
compressed file. The file will be extracted to the location specified
in echocfg, /sbbs/nodelist in my case.
my sbbsecho.ini entry is as follows. Yours may be slightly different.
[domain:fsxnet]
Zones = 21
DNSSuffix =
OutboundRoot = /sbbs/fido/out/fsxnet
NodeList = /sbbs/nodelist/fsxnet.na
I have a script that you can run that'll make a tickit.ini file for you
from all your script and will add handlers for most of the popular
networks.
Download https://www.endofthelinebbs.com/maketickit.txt and save it to
your mods directory as a maketickit.js then you can run it with jsexec.
--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Node lists for different nets

<643469FB.66127.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18511&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18511

From: poindext...@REALITY.remove-ocq-this (poindexter FORTRAN)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:56:43 -0700
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:56 UTC

To: Khronos
@MSGID: <643469FB.66127.dove.sync@realitycheckbbs.org>
@REPLY: <6434064A.34.dove-syncdisc@kf4yey.com>
@TZ: c1e0
Re: Node lists for different nets
By: Khronos to All on Mon Apr 10 2023 08:51 am

Kh> How important are the node lists for these type of nets to have and keep
Kh> updated on my system?

Nodelists are used when you send netmail to a node, if I'm not mistaken, and looking up the location of a node if you don't define a name/address for a linked node in echocfg. I think you could enter your uplink's information in echocfg and be done with it.

Read up on binkit in the wiki - there's a handleer script that can update your BBS nodelist with what it receives in the nodelist file echo from your uplink.
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.