From: night...@DIGDIST.remove-dj1-this (Nightfox)
Subject: ASCII 141 (0x8D)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:22:45 -0700
 by: Nightfox - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:22 UTC

To: Digital Man
Hi DM,

In messages posted in a Synchronet messagebase, I'm curious if ASCII 141 (0x8D) has any significance? On FSXNET, one of the people who post there has been using an editor that puts that character in his messages, seemingly every 80 characters. It's visible as an accented 'i' character (I also tried reading his messages with msglist.js, and it's visible with that as well).

One thing I noticed is that when I reply to one of his messages, I see that character in the quoted lines (in SlyEdit), but then when I read my saved reply, it seems those characters were interpreted as newlines - Those characters aren't there in my reply, but a new line is started after those characters would have appeared.

It was suggested by another user that ASCII 141 is a hard linewrap character, but I've tried searching online for what ASCII 141 is used for and haven't found anything mentioning that.

I'm wondering if DDMsgReader and/or SlyEdit should deal with that character in some way.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

ASCII 141 (0x8D)

<6436F47F.49797.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18545&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18545

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-k9e-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:12:15 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:12 UTC

To: Nightfox
Re: ASCII 141 (0x8D)
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Wed Apr 12 2023 10:22 am

> Hi DM,
>
> In messages posted in a Synchronet messagebase, I'm curious if ASCII 141
> (0x8D) has any significance?

Not, in Synchronet, no, but in FidoNet messages, 0x8D is considered a "soft carriage-return" or "soft-CR". If SBBSecho's EchoCfg->Global Settings->Strip Incoming Soft CRs is set to "Yes" (the default), these characters are stripped from incoming FTN messages (that are not UTF-8 encoded).

> On FSXNET, one of the people who post there
> has been using an editor that puts that character in his messages, seemingly
> every 80 characters. It's visible as an accented 'i' character (I also
> tried reading his messages with msglist.js, and it's visible with that as
> well).
>
> One thing I noticed is that when I reply to one of his messages, I see that
> character in the quoted lines (in SlyEdit), but then when I read my saved
> reply, it seems those characters were interpreted as newlines - Those
> characters aren't there in my reply, but a new line is started after those
> characters would have appeared.
>
> It was suggested by another user that ASCII 141 is a hard linewrap
> character, but I've tried searching online for what ASCII 141 is used for
> and haven't found anything mentioning that.
>
> I'm wondering if DDMsgReader and/or SlyEdit should deal with that character
> in some way.

No, just the system's SBBSecho has a non-default configuration that should be fixed.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #4:
Doyle: wimpy-ass kids or mental retards.. she got one of each livin' with her.
Norco, CA WX: 53.4°F, 98.0% humidity, 1 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs