From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Re: 550 Sender verify failed
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 18:29:44 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 24 May 2021 22:29 UTC

On Mon, 24 May 2021 13:15:57 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com"
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>I have a persona which is used for sending email from a particular address. My understanding is the login is done with the data in the User Name field. I made a change to the Email Address field to adjust the name in the return address and now I get a 550 error on trying to send the email. When I undo that change it works ok again.
>
>There is no account with the email address, that's just for the return address. So what is going on that changing it alters the authentication? I did the same thing to another persona a couple of days ago and it worked fine.

If there is no account with that address, it should be configured to
use the relay personality for sending. The no-account address will appear
in the FROM header, but the actual SMTP server connection will be that of
the relay.

User name and SMTP server can be left blank, so long as "use relay" is
set (and you have defined one of the personalities as the relay
personality.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/