From: met...@ph.or
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Xfce GUI Printer config issue
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:49:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: met...@ph.or - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 17:49 UTC

I've several test installations on an old laptop, one is Mint 20.2 Xfce.
While adding a printer to the system I noticed there is no 'Unlock'
button on system-config-printer (Menu >> System >> Printers) as
found on other versions of Mint; basically the initial printer setup
is done without prompting for elevated privileges. The outcome of
that is if one needs to tweak something, say the printer driver used,
system-config-printer hangs. It is of course possible to tweak things
via the CUPS web interface (localhost:631) but for novice users this
will likely be a frustrating experience.

I'm wondering if there is some work-around or fix to allow for elevated
privileges to be granted within system-config-printer?

Re: Xfce GUI Printer config issue

<io53ctFgu6qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1868&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1868

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Xfce GUI Printer config issue
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 11:55:23 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 18:55 UTC

met@ph.or wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is some work-around or fix to allow for elevated
> privileges to be granted within system-config-printer?

See if this discussion will help:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=303201 [SOLVED] Control
Center -> Printers (system-config-printer) UNLOCK switch permissions

It seems it is related to /usr/share/polkit-1/actions

--
Mike Easter

Re: Xfce GUI Printer config issue

<sfk065$12mg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1869&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1869

From: met...@ph.or
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:04:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: met...@ph.or - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 22:04 UTC

> met@ph.or wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there is some work-around or fix to allow for elevated
>> privileges to be granted within system-config-printer?
>
> See if this discussion will help:
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=303201 [SOLVED] Control
> Center -> Printers (system-config-printer) UNLOCK switch permissions
>
> It seems it is related to /usr/share/polkit-1/actions
> --
> Mike Easter

Yeah pretty similar, though the poster actually wants to eliminate the
elevated permissions requirement. I wasn't looking forward to trying to
tweak the system's PolKit settings and opted for a kludgy workaround:

1) create small script under /usr/local/bin/:

#!/bin/bash
export SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/seahorse/ssh-askpass
sudo -AE system-config-printer

..and set proper permissions:

% sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/tweak-printers

2) edit command run for Menu >> System > Printers via menulibre(1):

"/usr/local/bin/tweak-printers #system-config-printers"

..click 'Save' and close MenuLibre.

This prompts for the user's password to run system-config-printers with
elevated privileges needed for adjusting printer properties and perhaps
more immune to future system changes than tweaks to PolKit.