From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Open sourcing of VMS, was: Re: OpenVMS app development, kitting (was: Re: Making Open Source Tools Work for VMS)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 19:26:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 19:26 UTC

On 2021-11-22, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> wrote:

> BTW: OpenVMS customers REJECTED an offer to open-source OpenVMS. Yes.
> Really. Outright rejected that. Put slightly differently, some of the
> open-source preferences around here can be... unexpected. Even among
> folks that have worked with OpenVMS for decades.

Wasn't that when they were worried about people finding issues within
VMS instead of using it as an opportunity to harden VMS against future
attacks by making it free for professional security researchers (and
others) to examine ?

That is a very short-sighted mindset in my opinion and just leads to
issues remaining undetected by researchers for a long time while leaving
others free to find and exploit those issues.

Simon.