MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED -- The Pershing II missiles have been launched.

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

SubjectAuthor
* New 5G modemTekkie?
+* Re: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|+* password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
||+- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
||`- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemFrank
|`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
| +* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| |`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | +* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
| | |`* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | | `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
| | |  `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| | `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| |  `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemleonard hofstatder
| |   `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemBill
| `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  +* brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
|  |+* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  ||+- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemdanny burstein
|  ||`* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  || +* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemTeddy-Bears
|  || |`- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  || `* Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|  ||  `- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemAdam H. Kerman
|  |`- Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemJohn Weiss
|  `* Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemConstantly Morphing Troll
|   `- Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modemFrank
`* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDTekkie?
 `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDRetirednoguilt
  `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDAllodoxaphobia
   `* Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDRetirednoguilt
    `- Re: New 5G modem RESOLVEDTeddy-Bears

Pages:12
New 5G modem

<fjNAI.601323$J_5.304026@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=177&group=alt.online-service.comcast#177

From: Tek...@comcast.net (Tekkie?)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: New 5G modem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 17:02:03 -0400
 by: Tekkie? - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:02 UTC

Yesterday I got a an email notice I was having a new 5G modem sent to me. Today
it was delivered. I guess their intent is to get everyone to 5G so they can
increase their money intake on something I won't use...

Before I open the box and read their 'instructions' what are the pitfalls; from
the more knowledgeable folks than me. I presume my passwords. Will this screwup
my wifi thermostat? - I know, it seems like a luxury but when you are disabled
it all counts ;-). I saw on their online video one needs a smartphone with
their app. I am not installing their app. I hope it installs easily because I
don't want to deal with their support (again - ever).

I'll read their blurp and *maybe* try it tomorrow (Thursday). They a have an
impending doom statement that it MUST be done by July 5th. I assume the present
one won't work or I'll slip off the edge of the earth...

--
Tekkie

Re: New 5G modem

<sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=178&group=alt.online-service.comcast#178

From: jrweiss9...@comcast.net (John Weiss)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: New 5G modem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 15:16:42 -0700
 by: John Weiss - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:16 UTC

On 06/23/21 14:02, Tekkie� wrote:

> Yesterday I got a an email notice I was having a new 5G modem sent to me. Today
> it was delivered. I guess their intent is to get everyone to 5G so they can
> increase their money intake on something I won't use...
>
> Before I open the box and read their 'instructions' what are the pitfalls; from
> the more knowledgeable folks than me. I presume my passwords. Will this screwup
> my wifi thermostat? - I know, it seems like a luxury but when you are disabled
> it all counts ;-). I saw on their online video one needs a smartphone with
> their app. I am not installing their app. I hope it installs easily because I
> don't want to deal with their support (again - ever).

I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
standard, not a WiFi standard.

OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
"WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.

password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb0pb0$10r$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=179&group=alt.online-service.comcast#179

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:06:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:06 UTC

In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:

[snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>standard, not a WiFi standard.

>OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>"WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.

I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
doing that.

HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
character password, while the previous one was
ok with a smaller number.

So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
of course, change the stored one on all my devices.

Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
was a Big F-ing Pain.

[a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
pay for itself in under a year.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb0pf9$p7f$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=180&group=alt.online-service.comcast#180

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:08:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:08 UTC

[superseding as I typed "password" when I meant "ssid". Apologies
if you see duplicates 'cuz many places don't recognize cancels]

In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:

[snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>standard, not a WiFi standard.

>OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>"WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.

I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
doing that.

HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
character SSID, while the previous one was
ok with a smaller number.

So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
of course, change the stored one on all my devices.

Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
was a Big F-ing Pain.

[a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
pay for itself in under a year.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<f2s7dgt84crs5kkbnn2k0jaaan67j934mr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=181&group=alt.online-service.comcast#181

From: non...@none.invalid (Bill)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:44:29 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:44 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:08:42 -0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
wrote:

>[superseding as I typed "password" when I meant "ssid". Apologies
>if you see duplicates 'cuz many places don't recognize cancels]
>
>In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:
>
>[snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>
>>I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>>standard, not a WiFi standard.
>
>>OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>>"WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>>than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>>default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>>old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.
>
>I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
>doing that.
>
>HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
>character SSID, while the previous one was
>ok with a smaller number.
>
>So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
>of course, change the stored one on all my devices.
>
>Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
>was a Big F-ing Pain.

You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
for others who may be reading here.

You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
control.

>[a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
>like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
>pay for itself in under a year.

--
Bill

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1pkh$n37$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=182&group=alt.online-service.comcast#182

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:17:40 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:17 UTC

On 6/23/2021 9:44 PM, Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:08:42 -0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [superseding as I typed "password" when I meant "ssid". Apologies
>> if you see duplicates 'cuz many places don't recognize cancels]
>>
>> In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>> [snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>>
>>> I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>>> standard, not a WiFi standard.
>>
>>> OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>>> "WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>>> than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>>> default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>>> old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.
>>
>> I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
>> doing that.
>>
>> HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
>> character SSID, while the previous one was
>> ok with a smaller number.
>>
>> So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
>> of course, change the stored one on all my devices.
>>
>> Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
>> was a Big F-ing Pain.
>
> You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
> for others who may be reading here.
>
> You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
> always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
> to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
> control.

....but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1r32$ah$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=183&group=alt.online-service.comcast#183

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:42:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:42 UTC

leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:
>On 6/23/2021 9:44 PM, Bill wrote:

>>>. . .

>>You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
>>for others who may be reading here.

>>You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
>>always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
>>to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
>>control.

>...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.

Dear constantly-morphing troll:

Post a reference in support of your claim, or withdraw.

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1sbc$73d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=184&group=alt.online-service.comcast#184

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:03:56 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:03 UTC

On 6/23/21 10:06 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
> In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:
>
> [snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>
>> I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>> standard, not a WiFi standard.
>
>> OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>> "WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>> than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>> default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>> old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.
>
> I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
> doing that.
>
> HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
> character password, while the previous one was
> ok with a smaller number.
>
> So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
> of course, change the stored one on all my devices.
>
> Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
> was a Big F-ing Pain.
>
> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
> pay for itself in under a year.

Glad I have long passwords.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1sgu$73d$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=185&group=alt.online-service.comcast#185

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:06:54 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:06 UTC

On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
> pay for itself in under a year.
Mind giving us the make / model? or Link.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1u3q$mp1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=alt.online-service.comcast#186

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 07:34:04 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:34 UTC

On 6/24/2021 6:42 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
>>> for others who may be reading here.
>
>>> You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
>>> always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
>>> to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
>>> control.
>
>> ...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.
>
> Dear constantly-morphing troll:
>
> Post a reference in support of your claim, or withdraw.

con·stant·ly
/ˈkänst(ə)ntlē/
adverb
adverb: constantly

continuously over a period of time; always.
"the world is constantly changing"

morph
/môrf/
verb
gerund or present participle: morphing

change smoothly from one image to another by small gradual steps
using computer animation techniques.
"3-D objects can be morphed into other objects"
undergo or cause to undergo a gradual process of transformation.
"the cute moppet has morphed into the moody moll of the indie
world"

Internet troll
In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory,
insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online
community, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying
emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception.

-----------

I always post to usenet using the "Leonard" nick. You cannot provide one
post where I have trolled this group. Again, I'm not who you think I am.

QUIT HUMPING MY LEG!

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb1vgm$cv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=187&group=alt.online-service.comcast#187

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:57:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:57 UTC

leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:
>On 6/24/2021 6:42 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.

>>Dear constantly-morphing troll:

>>Post a reference in support of your claim, or withdraw.

>I always post to usenet using the "Leonard" nick.

"Leonard Hofstadter" is the name of the main character on The Big Bang
Theory and is not now and never has been your nickname. One of our
trolls posts as a variety of tv characters. That would be you.

>You cannot provide one post where I have trolled this group.

In the very post in question, you made an accusation for which you
provided no support. If the subscriber provides the Wifi device used as
the access point, how does Comcast have the ability to throttle speed on
a device owned by the subscriber? It has not control of the device.

You have yet to back up that accusation, so it was a troll.

>Again, I'm not who you think I am.

>QUIT HUMPING MY LEG!

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb203d$4em$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=188&group=alt.online-service.comcast#188

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:07:55 -0400
 by: Frank - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:07 UTC

On 6/23/2021 10:06 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:
>
> [snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)
>
>> I don't know what a "5G modem" might be. "5G" is a cell phone wireless
>> standard, not a WiFi standard.
>
>> OTOH, what used to be called the 802.11ac WiFi standard is now called
>> "WiFi 5". If that is what they're sending you, it should work better
>> than what you have now, with no downside. Just make sure you change the
>> default SSID and password to your own, which should be the same as your
>> old modem, so all your devices will connect automatically.
>
> I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
> doing that.
>
> HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
> character password, while the previous one was
> ok with a smaller number.
>
> So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
> of course, change the stored one on all my devices.
>
> Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
> was a Big F-ing Pain.
>
> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
> pay for itself in under a year.

My personal opinion is that if you use Comcast equipment that Comcast
should service it free of charge and if it needs upgrade they should do
it. They should not just send you the equipment to swap out with all
the potential problems you might have.

I am not having any problems with my current modem and have high speeds.
What I intend to do when something fails and I need in home service I
will tell them to bring a new modem also and do every thing free of
charge. I use our old age as an excuse and it is the truth. After all
we are paying a bundle for the service.

brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb21s7$9nl$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=189&group=alt.online-service.comcast#189

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:38:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:38 UTC

In <sb1sgu$73d$2@dont-email.me> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> writes:

>On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
>> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
>> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
>> pay for itself in under a year.

>Mind giving us the make / model? or Link.

No problem. Well, no problem giving you the info:

It took a while to find a Docsis 3.0 [a] unit
which also had the voice lines [b], and I
wound up with the:

Motorola model MT7711

I think I paid about $225 for it (don't have
the receipts around.)

Of course, a week later I _finally_ saw it
online for quite a bit less, but the folk
at the brick and morter store (ok, MicroCenter)
had been extremely helpful so I'd have
stuck with them anyway.

Note that I had a ridiculous amount of
trouble getting it to actually work,
which took an extended phonce conversation
with Comcast tech support.

Part of the problem was they expect you
to have a textable cellphone that has
their app on it....

[a] there was just one Docsis 3.1 unit
I could find. Don't recall its name and
it was $100 or so more... And we're
fine at 3.0.

[b] When we set up service it turned out
their "bundle" with two phone lines was
cheaper than w/o them. So we used them
for our outgoing fax machine [c] and for
a phone line that we'll never answer so
don't care if companies grab the number.

[c] incoming faxes go through a phone company
based server. Their system both allows a
web based lookup AND also e-mails copies
directly to us. But sending through it involves
uploading the files, etc. So a simple
fax machine is often easier.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb225l$h5v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=alt.online-service.comcast#190

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 08:43:19 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:43 UTC

On 6/24/2021 7:57 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Dear constantly-morphing troll:
>
>>> Post a reference in support of your claim, or withdraw.
>
>> I always post to usenet using the "Leonard" nick.
>
> "Leonard Hofstadter" is the name of the main character on The Big Bang
> Theory and is not now and never has been your nickname. One of our
> trolls posts as a variety of tv characters. That would be you.
>
>> You cannot provide one post where I have trolled this group.
>
> In the very post in question, you made an accusation for which you
> provided no support. If the subscriber provides the Wifi device used as
> the access point, how does Comcast have the ability to throttle speed on
> a device owned by the subscriber? It has not control of the device.
>
> You have yet to back up that accusation, so it was a troll.
>
>> Again, I'm not who you think I am.
>
>> QUIT HUMPING MY LEG!

Either way, I am not "the troll" you think that I am, oh well, into the
kill file you go.

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<4e49dg5361vqqfo2a761ahonc32f2q2p60@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=alt.online-service.comcast#191

From: non...@none.invalid (Bill)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:08:27 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 14:08 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:17:40 -0500, leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 6/23/2021 9:44 PM, Bill wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:08:42 -0000 (UTC), danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> [superseding as I typed "password" when I meant "ssid". Apologies
>>> if you see duplicates 'cuz many places don't recognize cancels]
>>>
>>> In <sb0bsb$uqi$1@dont-email.me> John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> writes:
>>>
>>> [snip... regarding a new "modem" (his term) the OP just received)

>>> I just went through a WiFi base swapout [a] and tried
>>> doing that.
>>>
>>> HOWEVER, the new access point required an _eight_
>>> character SSID, while the previous one was
>>> ok with a smaller number.
>>>
>>> So yes, I had to choose a new password and also,
>>> of course, change the stored one on all my devices.
>>>
>>> Which, in the case of the wireless printers,
>>> was a Big F-ing Pain.
>>
>> You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
>> for others who may be reading here.
>>
>> You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
>> always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
>> to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
>> control.
>>

>...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.

You say that as if it was an actual issue, but it's not.

--
Bill

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2auq$jjg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=192&group=alt.online-service.comcast#192

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:13:13 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:13 UTC

On 6/24/21 9:38 AM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
> In <sb1sgu$73d$2@dont-email.me> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> writes:
>
>> On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
>>> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
>>> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
>>> pay for itself in under a year.
>
>> Mind giving us the make / model? or Link.
>
> No problem. Well, no problem giving you the info:
>
> It took a while to find a Docsis 3.0 [a] unit
> which also had the voice lines [b], and I
> wound up with the:
>
> Motorola model MT7711
>
> I think I paid about $225 for it (don't have
> the receipts around.)
>
> Of course, a week later I _finally_ saw it
> online for quite a bit less, but the folk
> at the brick and morter store (ok, MicroCenter)
> had been extremely helpful so I'd have
> stuck with them anyway.
>
> Note that I had a ridiculous amount of
> trouble getting it to actually work,
> which took an extended phonce conversation
> with Comcast tech support.
>
> Part of the problem was they expect you
> to have a textable cellphone that has
> their app on it....
>
> [a] there was just one Docsis 3.1 unit
> I could find. Don't recall its name and
> it was $100 or so more... And we're
> fine at 3.0.
>
> [b] When we set up service it turned out
> their "bundle" with two phone lines was
> cheaper than w/o them. So we used them
> for our outgoing fax machine [c] and for
> a phone line that we'll never answer so
> don't care if companies grab the number.
>
> [c] incoming faxes go through a phone company
> based server. Their system both allows a
> web based lookup AND also e-mails copies
> directly to us. But sending through it involves
> uploading the files, etc. So a simple
> fax machine is often easier.

Yes, I found a netgear for well over $200... kinda thinking about this.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B075XGZ6GL
This one has voice but no wi-fi, so you have to have your own router. It's just a modem, simple as that, and considering I hear so may
wanting their own router anyway, this could fit the bill.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2d8k$4r$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=alt.online-service.comcast#193

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:52:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:52 UTC

In <sb2auq$jjg$1@dont-email.me> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> writes:
[snip]

>> Motorola model MT7711
>>
>> I think I paid about $225 for it (don't have
>> the receipts around.)
>>
>Yes, I found a netgear for well over $200... kinda thinking about this.

>https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B075XGZ6GL

>This one has voice but no wi-fi, so you have to have your own router. It's just a modem, simple as that, and considering I hear so may
>wanting their own router anyway, this could fit the bill.

Yeah, this one has all the various flavours of WiFi, plus
the phone lines.

Natch, it does NOT include that "second", so to speak,
and "sneaky", ditto, SSID/WiFi ID that's used by xFiniti
for "global", tritto, access.

While my initial reaction when I found out "my" unit was
providing this "service" was to be mildly pissed, once
I thought it through I figured "what the hell", that there
was no signigifcant downside to me, and that, well, yeah,
I'd take advantage of it everywhere else so sure, I'd
leave it on here.

(one mild annoyance now is that I can't easily configure
and test new portables [phone, pads, etc.] with my xFinity
ID to make sure they're working with it. I'll live)
` --
dannyb@panix.com

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2kn3$act$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=194&group=alt.online-service.comcast#194

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:59:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:59 UTC

Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>On 6/24/21 9:38 AM, this is what danny burstein wrote:

>>> Mind giving us the make / model? or Link.
>>
>> No problem. Well, no problem giving you the info:
>>
>> It took a while to find a Docsis 3.0 [a] unit
>> which also had the voice lines [b], and I
>> wound up with the:
>>
>> Motorola model MT7711
>>
>> I think I paid about $225 for it (don't have
>> the receipts around.)
>>
>> Of course, a week later I _finally_ saw it
>> online for quite a bit less, but the folk
>> at the brick and morter store (ok, MicroCenter)
>> had been extremely helpful so I'd have
>> stuck with them anyway.
>>
>> Note that I had a ridiculous amount of
>> trouble getting it to actually work,
>> which took an extended phonce conversation
>> with Comcast tech support.
>>
>> Part of the problem was they expect you
>> to have a textable cellphone that has
>> their app on it....
>>
>> [a] there was just one Docsis 3.1 unit
>> I could find. Don't recall its name and
>> it was $100 or so more... And we're
>> fine at 3.0.
>>
>> [b] When we set up service it turned out
>> their "bundle" with two phone lines was
>> cheaper than w/o them. So we used them
>> for our outgoing fax machine [c] and for
>> a phone line that we'll never answer so
>> don't care if companies grab the number.
>>
>> [c] incoming faxes go through a phone company
>> based server. Their system both allows a
>> web based lookup AND also e-mails copies
>> directly to us. But sending through it involves
>> uploading the files, etc. So a simple
>> fax machine is often easier.
>>

>Yes, I found a netgear for well over $200... kinda thinking about this.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B075XGZ6GL
>This one has voice but no wi-fi, so you have to have your own router.
>It's just a modem, simple as that, and considering I hear so may
>wanting their own router anyway, this could fit the bill.

Please remember that there's no fee to lease an eMTA from Comcast if you
provide your own equipment for data, so there's no need to buy your own
combining voice and data.

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2msl$k4k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=alt.online-service.comcast#195

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Teddy-Bears)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:36:52 -0400
 by: Teddy-Bears - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 19:36 UTC

On 6/24/21 2:59 PM, this is what Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> No problem. Well, no problem giving you the info:
>>>
>>> It took a while to find a Docsis 3.0 [a] unit
>>> which also had the voice lines [b], and I
>>> wound up with the:
>>>
>>> Motorola model MT7711
>>>
>>> I think I paid about $225 for it (don't have
>>> the receipts around.)
>>>
>>> Of course, a week later I _finally_ saw it
>>> online for quite a bit less, but the folk
>>> at the brick and morter store (ok, MicroCenter)
>>> had been extremely helpful so I'd have
>>> stuck with them anyway.
>>>
>>> Note that I had a ridiculous amount of
>>> trouble getting it to actually work,
>>> which took an extended phonce conversation
>>> with Comcast tech support.
>>>
>>> Part of the problem was they expect you
>>> to have a textable cellphone that has
>>> their app on it....
>>>
>>> [a] there was just one Docsis 3.1 unit
>>> I could find. Don't recall its name and
>>> it was $100 or so more... And we're
>>> fine at 3.0.
>>>
>>> [b] When we set up service it turned out
>>> their "bundle" with two phone lines was
>>> cheaper than w/o them. So we used them
>>> for our outgoing fax machine [c] and for
>>> a phone line that we'll never answer so
>>> don't care if companies grab the number.
>>>
>>> [c] incoming faxes go through a phone company
>>> based server. Their system both allows a
>>> web based lookup AND also e-mails copies
>>> directly to us. But sending through it involves
>>> uploading the files, etc. So a simple
>>> fax machine is often easier.
>>>

>> Yes, I found a netgear for well over $200... kinda thinking about this.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B075XGZ6GL
>> This one has voice but no wi-fi, so you have to have your own router.
>> It's just a modem, simple as that, and considering I hear so may
>> wanting their own router anyway, this could fit the bill.
>
> Please remember that there's no fee to lease an eMTA from Comcast if you
> provide your own equipment for data, so there's no need to buy your own
> combining voice and data.

Could you expand that explanation? I thought an eMTA was data & voice.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs
*I collect teddy bears.

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2ogu$kbj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=196&group=alt.online-service.comcast#196

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:04:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:04 UTC

Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>On 6/24/21 2:59 PM, this is what Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I found a netgear for well over $200... kinda thinking about this.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B075XGZ6GL
>>> This one has voice but no wi-fi, so you have to have your own router.
>>> It's just a modem, simple as that, and considering I hear so may
>>> wanting their own router anyway, this could fit the bill.
>>
>> Please remember that there's no fee to lease an eMTA from Comcast if you
>> provide your own equipment for data, so there's no need to buy your own
>> combining voice and data.
>>
>Could you expand that explanation? I thought an eMTA was data & voice.

It's a higher-cost piece of equipment versus a cable modem for data. If
you buy the cable modem, you can obtain the eMTA from Comcast, which
will supply the signal for voice only if you're using your own equipment
for data. In that scenario, Comcast will not charge you a fee to lease
the eMTA as it's used just for voice.

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2vnn$s12$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=alt.online-service.comcast#197

From: jrweiss9...@comcast.net (John Weiss)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:07:50 -0700
 by: John Weiss - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:07 UTC

On 06/24/21 06:38, danny burstein wrote:
> In <sb1sgu$73d$2@dont-email.me> Teddy-Bears <Bears@invalid.com> writes:
>
>> On 6/23/21 10:08 PM, this is what danny burstein wrote:
>>> [a] comcast/xfiniti. They were charging us something
>>> like $17/month. I bought a compatible unit which will
>>> pay for itself in under a year.
>
>> Mind giving us the make / model? or Link.
>
> No problem. Well, no problem giving you the info:
>
> It took a while to find a Docsis 3.0 [a] unit
> which also had the voice lines [b], and I
> wound up with the:
>
> Motorola model MT7711
>
> I think I paid about $225 for it

Hope it was a LOT less! I paid $130 on Amazon in Feb 2018 for a Netgear
CM500V. It works fine with Comcast Voice. Now $80 renewed
https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B07V2BJBZQ

The Netgear CM2050V (DOCSIS 3.1) is still $300...

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb2vvi$s12$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=alt.online-service.comcast#198

From: jrweiss9...@comcast.net (John Weiss)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:12:01 -0700
 by: John Weiss - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:12 UTC

On 06/24/21 11:59, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Please remember that there's no fee to lease an eMTA from Comcast if you
> provide your own equipment for data, so there's no need to buy your own
> combining voice and data.

However, you get a LOT more flexibility if you buy separate modem and
router. You can also upgrade each of them individually when you feel
the need.

My Netgear CM500V and Linksys WRT3200ACM work well for me. The Linksys
allows me to get WiFi in the entire house without repeaters (needed with
my older N routers).

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb341f$pa8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=alt.online-service.comcast#199

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:21:21 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:21 UTC

On 6/24/2021 9:08 AM, Bill wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:17:40 -0500, leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/23/2021 9:44 PM, Bill wrote:

>>> You've gone through the fire and have come out the other side, so this is
>>> for others who may be reading here.
>>>
>>> You're never required to use the access point provided by your ISP. You
>>> always have the option to use your own, whether instead of or in addition
>>> to, the access point provided by the ISP. Using your own means you're in
>>> control.
>>>

>> ...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.
>
> You say that as if it was an actual issue, but it's not.

all i know is that i am supposed to get speeds "up to 400" and barely
get 200 - everything that can be checked/tweaked/fixed has been done -
yeah it's just my one case but i know other people locally having the
same throttling done to them - you may trust them, i dont

Re: brand/model, was: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<sb3c7b$52h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=200&group=alt.online-service.comcast#200

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 01:41:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 01:41 UTC

John Weiss <jrweiss98155@comcast.net> wrote:
>On 06/24/21 11:59, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>Please remember that there's no fee to lease an eMTA from Comcast if you
>>provide your own equipment for data, so there's no need to buy your own
>>combining voice and data.

>However, you get a LOT more flexibility if you buy separate modem and
>router. You can also upgrade each of them individually when you feel
>the need.

Buy a separate router; absolutely.

>My Netgear CM500V and Linksys WRT3200ACM work well for me. The Linksys
>allows me to get WiFi in the entire house without repeaters (needed with
>my older N routers).

Re: password annoyances, was: New 5G modem

<63kadgpldrdu7i0ob7gl09vocoqsds4svj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=201&group=alt.online-service.comcast#201

From: non...@none.invalid (Bill)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:49:53 -0500
 by: Bill - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 03:49 UTC

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 18:21:21 -0500, leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 6/24/2021 9:08 AM, Bill wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 06:17:40 -0500, leonard hofstatder <n.nut@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> ...but you are throttled from the true speed capability of your own device.
>>
>> You say that as if it was an actual issue, but it's not.
>>

>all i know is that i am supposed to get speeds "up to 400" and barely
>get 200 - everything that can be checked/tweaked/fixed has been done -

That explanation doesn't sound very technical and I suppose it goes without
saying that your issues, if they exist, have nothing to do with the thread
in which you posted.

>yeah it's just my one case but i know other people locally having the
>same throttling done to them - you may trust them, i dont

OK, thanks. The whole thing is kind of a non sequitur, though.

--
Bill