From: christia...@2:250/5.remove-k6n-this (Christian Sacks)
Subject: kermit protocol in syncterm
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:47:34 +0100
 by: Christian Sacks - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:47 UTC

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to post it here as don't know where else would be better, I managed to get the kermit protocol running in Mystic (I know this isn't a mystic channel) and really would love it if syncterm could handle the kermit protocol.

Is there any way in it's current form there's an ability to use like an external protocol with syncterm? or if not, what are the chances kermit could get added to a future release of syncterm?

After using it for a little while with qodem, I realise that the transfer speeds in kermit are a lot, and I mean a LOT faster than zmodem for example, and think we could all benefit from having that as an option on BBSes that support kermit.

Just my thoughts for the day, lemme know if you think it's a good idea or not, and if there's a way for me to use kermit currently with syncterm.

Thanks for listening =)

.... DOS=HIGH? I knew it was on something...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
* Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

kermit protocol in syncterm

<64DA7555.50249.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18973&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18973

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-ip5-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:41:25 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:41 UTC

To: Christian Sacks
Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
By: Christian Sacks to All on Mon Aug 14 2023 11:47 am

> Hey y'all,
>
> Just wanted to post it here as don't know where else would be better, I
> managed to get the kermit protocol running in Mystic (I know this isn't a
> mystic channel) and really would love it if syncterm could handle the kermit
> protocol.
>
> Is there any way in it's current form there's an ability to use like an
> external protocol with syncterm? or if not, what are the chances kermit
> could get added to a future release of syncterm?
>
> After using it for a little while with qodem, I realise that the transfer
> speeds in kermit are a lot, and I mean a LOT faster than zmodem for example,
> and think we could all benefit from having that as an option on BBSes that
> support kermit.
>
> Just my thoughts for the day, lemme know if you think it's a good idea or
> not, and if there's a way for me to use kermit currently with syncterm.
>
> Thanks for listening =)

The place to make SyncTERM feature requests is here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/syncterm/feature-requests/

Most likely, any *significant* performance differences you're observing between Kermit and ZMODEM would be in the protocol driver/implementation (e.g. in Qodem) and not the protocol itself.

The ZMODEM protocol also has a lot of options that can impact through-put (e.g. windowing or not, window size, encoding/escaping of characters).

If you want the lowest overhead protocol, use YMODEM-G. It doesn't have all the same features of ZMODEM (or Kermit), but has the lowest amount of protocol overhead of all of them (besides plain TCP, e.g. FTP).
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #24:
Karl: Kaiser blade. I hit my mother upside the head with it. Mmm... Killed her.
Norco, CA WX: 82.0°F, 60.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

kermit protocol in syncterm

<64DA9AE9.9221.sync@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18974&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18974

From: mro...@BBSESINF.remove-nqu-this (MRO)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 16:21:45 -0500
 by: MRO - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 21:21 UTC

To: Christian Sacks
Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
By: Christian Sacks to All on Mon Aug 14 2023 11:47 am

> managed to get the kermit protocol running in Mystic (I know this isn't a
> mystic channel) and really would love it if syncterm could handle the kermit
> protocol.
>
> Is there any way in it's current form there's an ability to use like an
> external protocol with syncterm? or if not, what are the chances kermit
> could get added to a future release of syncterm?
>
> After using it for a little while with qodem, I realise that the transfer

speaking of qodem, using it on your bbs gives it an issue where the cursor is at the wrong area on your login matrix.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: kermit protocol in syncterm

<64DE0D26.50258.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18982&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#18982

From: ryan.fan...@1:218/820.remove-hmt-this (Ryan Fantus)
Subject: Re: kermit protocol in syncterm
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 05:04:21 -0700
 by: Ryan Fantus - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 12:04 UTC

To: Christian Sacks
CS> Just wanted to post it here as don't know where else would be better, I
CS> managed to get the kermit protocol running in Mystic (I know this isn't
CS> a mystic channel) and really would love it if syncterm could handle the
CS> kermit protocol.

Any chance you can share how you got it working? And is it in Windows or linux?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/02/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (1:218/820)