Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  nodelist  faq  login

Oh, wait, that was Randal...nevermind... -- Larry Wall in <199709261754.KAA23761@wall.org>


computers / comp.sys.dec / Re: DS10 console issue

SubjectAuthor
* DS10 console issueihbda
`* Re: DS10 console issueStephen Hoffman
 `* Re: DS10 console issueihbda
  `* Re: DS10 console issueStephen Hoffman
   `- Re: DS10 console issueihbda

1
Subject: DS10 console issue
From: ihbda
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 16:47 UTC
X-Received: by 2002:a37:c57:: with SMTP id 84mr71660115qkm.157.1578070073829;
Fri, 03 Jan 2020 08:47:53 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6830:4ca:: with SMTP id s10mr60339873otd.268.1578070073475;
Fri, 03 Jan 2020 08:47:53 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!g89no9110770qtd.0!news-out.google.com!o19ni715qtr.1!nntp.google.com!g89no9110762qtd.0!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 08:47:53 -0800 (PST)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=80.229.248.196; posting-account=UZykRgoAAACdr1bMECXBkC4zuAZLq5Jv
NNTP-Posting-Host: 80.229.248.196
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <c4b84b2f-dcdc-4b3e-b863-84ba95871d5f@googlegroups.com>
Subject: DS10 console issue
From: ihard...@gmail.com (ihbda)
Injection-Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 16:47:53 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 1714
X-Received-Body-CRC: 559790102
View all headers
Hi all,

Strange DS10 problem that's been bugging me for a while. I have two DS10's and this occurs on both when using the console in graphics mode.

At the >>> prompt, as soon as I press the shift key, all subsequent keyboard entry is shifted. As soon as the system enters full graphics mode, it behaves as normal.

Not so much of a problem when installing Unix but when installing VMS, I have to enter a dot in the filename for the backup command but all I get is > (which is obviously SHIFT-.). I can use the numeric keypad but it's a bit annoying...

Console firmware 7.3-1 dated Feb 27 2007

Anyone seen this before?

ih





Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: Stephen Hoffman
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Organization: HoffmanLabs LLC
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 18:25 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 13:25:21 -0500
Organization: HoffmanLabs LLC
Lines: 30
Message-ID: <qv56qh$i8b$1@dont-email.me>
References: <c4b84b2f-dcdc-4b3e-b863-84ba95871d5f@googlegroups.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="7e50b038723ff6b707da824ad758ec6d";
logging-data="18699"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19955+dULm6Va2tEJKfkFBdtoxW+bdjLKo="
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
Cancel-Lock: sha1:SNvwBcpQyXDow/mwFIPba4zrGpk=
View all headers
On 2020-01-03 16:47:53 +0000, ihbda said:

Strange DS10 problem that's been bugging me for a while. I have two DS10's and this occurs on both when using the console in graphics mode.

At the >>> prompt, as soon as I press the shift key, all subsequent keyboard entry is shifted. As soon as the system enters full graphics mode, it behaves as normal.

Are you on COM1 with the console prompt input shift-altered as described, or—as you should be, when CONSOLE is set GRAPHICS—are you over on the VGA with the >>> prompt over there?

And you probably don't want to be on COM2 for anything console-related.

The RMC can have some serial settings you'll want to look at, and that'll be the usual and often only use of COM1 when CONSOLE is GRAPHICS and not SERIAL.

Check the (presumably) terminal emulator settings, too.  On a good day, the graphics console can be a VT52. Otherwise, 9600 8N1.

Directly-attached keyboards for OpenVMS also need scanset 3 support, but you've not indicated what you're using with this AlphaServer DS10 box.


--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: ihbda
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 11:46 UTC
References: 1 2
X-Received: by 2002:a37:6551:: with SMTP id z78mr9484438qkb.144.1578570413788; Thu, 09 Jan 2020 03:46:53 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6808:3d9:: with SMTP id o25mr2829355oie.126.1578570413344; Thu, 09 Jan 2020 03:46:53 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!peer03.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder5.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!g89no3092513qtd.0!news-out.google.com!o19ni1293qtr.1!nntp.google.com!g89no3092502qtd.0!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 03:46:53 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <qv56qh$i8b$1@dont-email.me>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=80.229.248.196; posting-account=UZykRgoAAACdr1bMECXBkC4zuAZLq5Jv
NNTP-Posting-Host: 80.229.248.196
References: <c4b84b2f-dcdc-4b3e-b863-84ba95871d5f@googlegroups.com> <qv56qh$i8b$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <588311e8-f6b7-4c48-afa7-656985efb242@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: ihard...@gmail.com (ihbda)
Injection-Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 11:46:53 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Lines: 45
X-Received-Bytes: 3140
X-Received-Body-CRC: 1016063053
View all headers
On Wednesday, 8 January 2020 18:25:33 UTC, Stephen Hoffman  wrote:
On 2020-01-03 16:47:53 +0000, ihbda said:

Strange DS10 problem that's been bugging me for a while. I have two
DS10's and this occurs on both when using the console in graphics mode.

At the >>> prompt, as soon as I press the shift key, all subsequent
keyboard entry is shifted. As soon as the system enters full graphics
mode, it behaves as normal.

Are you on COM1 with the console prompt input shift-altered as
described, or—as you should be, when CONSOLE is set GRAPHICS—are you
over on the VGA with the >>> prompt over there?

And you probably don't want to be on COM2 for anything console-related.

The RMC can have some serial settings you'll want to look at, and
that'll be the usual and often only use of COM1 when CONSOLE is
GRAPHICS and not SERIAL.

Check the (presumably) terminal emulator settings, too.  On a good day,
the graphics console can be a VT52. Otherwise, 9600 8N1.

Directly-attached keyboards for OpenVMS also need scanset 3 support,
but you've not indicated what you're using with this AlphaServer DS10
box.


--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Thanks for the response.

This is all being done on the graphics console. VGA monitor. Admittedly I'm using a non-DEC PS/2 keyboard. Generic HP PC keyboard. "set console graphic"s is configured.

This behavior occurs within the console itself before either DUnix or OVMS are booted. Once either OS is in it's initial text mode, the behaviour continues to manifest itself. Once either OS goes into a graphics mode (ie X), normal behavior returns.

I think, from memory, it works fine using COM1.


Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: Stephen Hoffman
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Organization: HoffmanLabs LLC
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 23:27 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader01.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: seaoh...@hoffmanlabs.invalid (Stephen Hoffman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 18:27:07 -0500
Organization: HoffmanLabs LLC
Lines: 23
Message-ID: <qvqrgb$u3v$1@dont-email.me>
References: <c4b84b2f-dcdc-4b3e-b863-84ba95871d5f@googlegroups.com> <qv56qh$i8b$1@dont-email.me> <588311e8-f6b7-4c48-afa7-656985efb242@googlegroups.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: reader02.eternal-september.org; posting-host="e44cf2640e3ed770eb413ab14c8abd3e";
logging-data="30847"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX190N3EqbMsybLZkDJAgnecqJGom2Yb+JgI="
User-Agent: Unison/2.2
Cancel-Lock: sha1:PiE8rtHTTe4N2Cylie+utfRVeNg=
View all headers
On 2020-01-09 11:46:53 +0000, ihbda said:

This is all being done on the graphics console. VGA monitor. Admittedly I'm using a non-DEC PS/2 keyboard. Generic HP PC keyboard.

And the SRM console has been configured with the matching keyboard definition?

At the SRM console prompt:
show kbd_hardware_type
show language
show language_name
etc...
Make sure those match your expectations.

I don't immediately recall the DEC name for the generic PC keyboard.  PCXAL?

Scrounge a DEC LK OpenVMS keyboard, preferably.

The PC keyboards can get "fun" with OpenVMS.

--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: ihbda
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:04 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4
X-Received: by 2002:a05:620a:1472:: with SMTP id j18mr38797410qkl.184.1579262650139;
Fri, 17 Jan 2020 04:04:10 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 2002:a9d:5c8a:: with SMTP id a10mr5463954oti.95.1579262649799;
Fri, 17 Jan 2020 04:04:09 -0800 (PST)
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!aioe.org!peer01.am4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!g89no5985167qtd.0!news-out.google.com!w29ni1514qtc.0!nntp.google.com!g89no5985162qtd.0!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 04:04:09 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <qvqrgb$u3v$1@dont-email.me>
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: google-groups.googlegroups.com; posting-host=80.229.248.196; posting-account=UZykRgoAAACdr1bMECXBkC4zuAZLq5Jv
NNTP-Posting-Host: 80.229.248.196
References: <c4b84b2f-dcdc-4b3e-b863-84ba95871d5f@googlegroups.com>
<qv56qh$i8b$1@dont-email.me> <588311e8-f6b7-4c48-afa7-656985efb242@googlegroups.com>
<qvqrgb$u3v$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: G2/1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <096f6e74-7916-40c4-a2b8-e2d5276742d3@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: DS10 console issue
From: ihard...@gmail.com (ihbda)
Injection-Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:04:10 +0000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
X-Received-Bytes: 1983
X-Received-Body-CRC: 2059615241
View all headers
On Thursday, 16 January 2020 23:27:13 UTC, Stephen Hoffman  wrote:

On 2020-01-09 11:46:53 +0000, ihbda said:

This is all being done on the graphics console. VGA monitor. Admittedly
I'm using a non-DEC PS/2 keyboard. Generic HP PC keyboard.

And the SRM console has been configured with the matching keyboard definition?

At the SRM console prompt:
show kbd_hardware_type
show language
show language_name
etc...
Make sure those match your expectations.

Thanks - I'll check those settings at the weekend.


The PC keyboards can get "fun" with OpenVMS.

Not even at the VMS 'stage'. Purely still in the console monitor.


1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor