From: martin.v...@t-online.de (Martin Vorländer)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: ES47 expansion box problem
Date: 28 Nov 2021 04:03:12 GMT
 by: Martin Vorländer - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 04:03 UTC

Hello everyone,

I've been tasked with setting up and testing an ES47 with an I/O Expansion
box. The components have come from different sources.

I have set up the SMC NAT box according to the docs, and am connected to
the MBM via the serial management port of the ES47.

When I power up the expansion box, I see "duplicate IP address 0xa0000001"
error messages in the MBM. When removing power from the ES47, powering up
the expansion box, connecting my laptop to the NAT box and telnetting to
10.0.0.1 I find myself in a MBM shell, which I guess s provided by the
expansion box' PBM module.

I have read that MBM and PBM are both loaded from the same firmware, so my
question at this point is: How do I get the PBM module to act like a PBM
micro (with the appropriate IP address)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

cu,
Martin

Re: ES47 expansion box problem

<159c59bc-d2a7-480c-b2ba-386b21d247e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19011&group=comp.os.vms#19011

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:21:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ES47 expansion box problem
From: bill.h...@navistar.com (Bill Hall)
 by: Bill Hall - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:21 UTC

On Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 10:03:15 PM UTC-6, Martin Vorländer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been tasked with setting up and testing an ES47 with an I/O Expansion
> box. The components have come from different sources.
>
> I have set up the SMC NAT box according to the docs, and am connected to
> the MBM via the serial management port of the ES47.
>
> When I power up the expansion box, I see "duplicate IP address 0xa0000001"
> error messages in the MBM. When removing power from the ES47, powering up
> the expansion box, connecting my laptop to the NAT box and telnetting to
> 10.0.0.1 I find myself in a MBM shell, which I guess s provided by the
> expansion box' PBM module.
>
> I have read that MBM and PBM are both loaded from the same firmware, so my
> question at this point is: How do I get the PBM module to act like a PBM
> micro (with the appropriate IP address)?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> cu,
> Martin

IP addresses are determined by drawer ID number, so each drawer must have a unique ID number that is set using the ID Select switch on the front of the drawer. If you are building an ES47 Model 2, the 2P drawer should have an ID of 0 and the I/O drawer should have an ID number of 1.
For an ES47 Model 4, the first 2P drawer should be set with an ID of 0, the second 2P drawer should have an ID of 1 and the first I/O drawer should be set with an ID of 3.

Bill

Re: ES47 expansion box problem

<j0kjhcFn60iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19012&group=comp.os.vms#19012

From: martin.v...@t-online.de (Martin Vorländer)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 29 Nov 2021 18:13:00 GMT
 by: Martin Vorländer - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:13 UTC

Bill Hall <bill.hall@navistar.com> schrieb:
> Martin Vorländer wrote:
>> When I power up the expansion box, I see "duplicate IP address 0xa0000001"
>> error messages in the MBM. When removing power from the ES47, powering up
>> the expansion box, connecting my laptop to the NAT box and telnetting to
>> 10.0.0.1 I find myself in a MBM shell, which I guess is provided by the
>> expansion box' PBM module.
> IP addresses are determined by drawer ID number, so each drawer must have
> a unique ID number that is set using the ID Select switch on the front of
> the drawer. If you are building an ES47 Model 2, the 2P drawer should have
> an ID of 0 and the I/O drawer should have an ID number of 1.
> Bill

Thanks for the confirmation. That's exactly how I set up this ES47 M2.

The fault was in the seating of the PBM module. After re-seating it, it
did come up as an expansion box PBM with the appropriate IP address.

So, a PBM module which does not "see" it's sitting in an expansion drawer
seems to think it's an ES47 :-)

cu,
Martin

Re: ES47 expansion box problem

<so906e$br1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19044&group=comp.os.vms#19044

From: chris-no...@tridac.net (chris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 23:23:58 +0000
 by: chris - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 23:23 UTC

On 11/29/21 18:13, Martin Vorländer wrote:
> Bill Hall<bill.hall@navistar.com> schrieb:
>> Martin Vorländer wrote:
>>> When I power up the expansion box, I see "duplicate IP address 0xa0000001"
>>> error messages in the MBM. When removing power from the ES47, powering up
>>> the expansion box, connecting my laptop to the NAT box and telnetting to
>>> 10.0.0.1 I find myself in a MBM shell, which I guess is provided by the
>>> expansion box' PBM module.
>> IP addresses are determined by drawer ID number, so each drawer must have
>> a unique ID number that is set using the ID Select switch on the front of
>> the drawer. If you are building an ES47 Model 2, the 2P drawer should have
>> an ID of 0 and the I/O drawer should have an ID number of 1.
>> Bill
>
> Thanks for the confirmation. That's exactly how I set up this ES47 M2.
>
> The fault was in the seating of the PBM module. After re-seating it, it
> did come up as an expansion box PBM with the appropriate IP address.
>
> So, a PBM module which does not "see" it's sitting in an expansion drawer
> seems to think it's an ES47 :-)
>
> cu,
> Martin

It's not a bad plan with older kit that is rarely powered down or given
any kind of attention is to reaeat all the connectors. Ribbon cables,
memory, m/b power connectors and anything else that is unplugable.

MTBF charts tell us that connectors of any sort are the least
reliable part of any system...

Chris