Whenever people agree with me, I always think I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Big Al
+* Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Mike Easter
|+* Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Big Al
||`- Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Big Al
|`- Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Mike Easter
`* Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Chris Elvidge
 +* Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?RonB
 |`* Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Mike Easter
 | `- Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?RonB
 `- Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?Big Al

1
Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sge6iq$grv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1914&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1914

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:33:28 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:33 UTC

I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like once every month or so for a few minutes.
I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.

I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo. Click and the dialog asks me to run/open so I say run in terminal.... It does nothing.
So I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal' and it won't open a terminal.

I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
xfce4-terminal. Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that oddity...oops? maybe?!!

Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2) because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.

Thanks
--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<iovosbFlva4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1921&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1921

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 14:41:30 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:41 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like
> once every month or so for a few minutes.
> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>
> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo.  Click and the dialog
> asks me to run/open  so I say run in terminal.... It does nothing.    So
> I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal'
> and it won't open a terminal.

I booted a live MintXFCE 20.2. Its default FM is Thunar, not Nemo.
Nemo is the default FM for Cinnamon.

The Thunar FM mouse R click context menu 'open in terminal' works, as
does kb shortcut ctrl-alt-T.

> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and
> I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
> xfce4-terminal.  Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that
> oddity...oops? maybe?!!

Correct; the default term in XFCE is xfce4-terminal.

> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2)
> because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
> termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.

Somehow your FM in XFCE is apparently Nemo instead of Thunar.

You might want to command thunar and see if that opens and check your FM
behavior again if it is Thunar.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgeaoq$lid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1922&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1922

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:44:57 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:44 UTC

On 8/28/21 5:41 PM, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like once every month or so for a few minutes.
>> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>>
>> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo.  Click and the dialog asks me to run/open  so I say run in terminal.... It does
>> nothing.    So I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal' and it won't open a terminal.
>>
> I booted a live MintXFCE 20.2.  Its default FM is Thunar, not Nemo. Nemo is the default FM for Cinnamon.
>
> The Thunar FM mouse R click context menu 'open in terminal' works, as does kb shortcut ctrl-alt-T.
>
>> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
>> xfce4-terminal.  Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that oddity...oops? maybe?!!
>>
> Correct; the default term in XFCE is xfce4-terminal.
>
>> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2) because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
>> termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.
>>
> Somehow your FM in XFCE is apparently Nemo instead of Thunar.
>
> You might want to command thunar and see if that opens and check your FM behavior again if it is Thunar.

Will do. And if I'm launching file manager from a launcher I copied from my Mint Cinnamon, naturally it would have "nemo ~/Downlaods" or
such not thumar.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<iovplsFm3r4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1923&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1923

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 14:55:07 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:55 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> The Thunar FM mouse R click context menu 'open in terminal' works, as
> does kb shortcut ctrl-alt-T.

This sentence is somewhat ambiguous compared to what happens.

If one navigates to some dir and uses the 'open in terminal' function,
the terminal opens in that dir. However, no matter what dir one is in
in the FM, if one uses the kb shortcut ctrl-alt-T, the terminal opens in
the default home dir.

If I want to navigate to a dir and then kb to get the terminal, I can
shft-F10 and get the context menu, but the open in dir doesn't have a
letter, so I have to arrow-key down to the open in terminal selection.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgebgi$r11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1924&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1924

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:57:37 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 21:57 UTC

On 8/28/21 5:44 PM, this is what Big Al wrote:
> On 8/28/21 5:41 PM, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:
>>> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like once every month or so for a few minutes.
>>> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>>>
>>> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo.  Click and the dialog asks me to run/open  so I say run in terminal.... It does
>>> nothing.    So I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal' and it won't open a terminal.
>>>
>> I booted a live MintXFCE 20.2.  Its default FM is Thunar, not Nemo. Nemo is the default FM for Cinnamon.
>>
>> The Thunar FM mouse R click context menu 'open in terminal' works, as does kb shortcut ctrl-alt-T.
>>
>>> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to
>>> be xfce4-terminal.  Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that oddity...oops? maybe?!!
>>>
>> Correct; the default term in XFCE is xfce4-terminal.
>>
>>> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2) because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch
>>> in termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.
>>>
>> Somehow your FM in XFCE is apparently Nemo instead of Thunar.
>>
>> You might want to command thunar and see if that opens and check your FM behavior again if it is Thunar.
>>

> Will do.   And if I'm launching file manager from a launcher I copied from my Mint Cinnamon, naturally it would have "nemo ~/Downlaods" or
> such not thumar.

Sure enough, guess I set it for nemo. Changed to thunar and open in terminal works.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgedmr$b35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1926&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1926

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 23:35:05 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:35 UTC

On 28/08/2021 09:33 pm, Big Al wrote:
> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like
> once every month or so for a few minutes.
> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>
> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo. Click and the dialog
> asks me to run/open so I say run in terminal.... It does nothing. So
> I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal'
> and it won't open a terminal.
>
> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and
> I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
> xfce4-terminal. Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that
> oddity...oops? maybe?!!
>
> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2)
> because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
> termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.
>
> Thanks

Did you try launching the shell scripts _from_ a terminal? I.e. open a
terminal and then launch the shell script.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgekhc$6si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1928&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1928

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:31:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:31 UTC

On 2021-08-28, Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
> On 28/08/2021 09:33 pm, Big Al wrote:
>> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like
>> once every month or so for a few minutes.
>> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>>
>> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo. Click and the dialog
>> asks me to run/open so I say run in terminal.... It does nothing. So
>> I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal'
>> and it won't open a terminal.
>>
>> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and
>> I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
>> xfce4-terminal. Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that
>> oddity...oops? maybe?!!
>>
>> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2)
>> because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
>> termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Did you try launching the shell scripts _from_ a terminal? I.e. open a
> terminal and then launch the shell script.

That's the way I do it, but I think Big Al wants to be able to click a
launcher's icon. I've noticed that, in Mint Mate, that clicking on the shell
script and then running from terminal doesn't always run right. I've got a
few scripts that change directory and, for some reason, clicking on the
shell script doesn't get that part right.

I just have a couple terminals (mate-terminal and Guake) that I access with
key combinations. If I want the terminal to disappear after it opens a GUI
application, I just use the source shortcut, a period plus space as in —
". emf" without the quotes. Works well. (Just realized. emf calls two other
shell scripts, so that's probably why it doesn't work from Caja, which I
think is basically Mint's version of Nemo.)

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<ip03tdFntvnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1929&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1929

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:49:48 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:49 UTC

RonB wrote:
> why it doesn't work from Caja, which I
> think is basically Mint's version of Nemo.)

Caja = default FM for Mate (from Gnome's Nautilus)
Nemo = default FM for Cinnamon (also from Nautilus)
Thunar = default FM for XFCE (from 'scratch' via python)

--
Mike Easter

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgeq2a$bcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1930&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1930

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 22:06:02 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:06 UTC

On 8/28/21 6:35 PM, this is what Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 28/08/2021 09:33 pm, Big Al wrote:
>> I have a copy in Virtual Box and I only have it to just tinker, like once every month or so for a few minutes.
>> I just opened it today and updated to 20.2 and all looks fine.
>>
>> I then tried to launch some shell scripts in nemo.  Click and the dialog asks me to run/open  so I say run in terminal.... It does
>> nothing.    So I right-click a blank spot in the directory and pick 'open in terminal' and it won't open a terminal.
>>
>> I've got a lot of desktop launchers I copied over from Mint Cinnamon and I know in Cinnamon it's gnome-terminal but in XFCE is seems to be
>> xfce4-terminal.  Fine, no issue but I wonder if Nemo forgot that oddity...oops? maybe?!!
>>
>> Just wondering if someone else hase XFCE 20.2 (and it has to be 20.2) because I don't believe I set this system up without that 'launch in
>> termal' thing working... my installs are so driven off of scripts.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Did you try launching the shell scripts _from_ a terminal? I.e. open a terminal and then launch the shell script.

Yes, I did my work that way.
I was just wondering if there was a bug in 20.2 since I had just done the 20.1 -> 20.2 upgrade.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Anyone Running Mint 20.2 XFCE?

<sgioog$i65$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1950&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1950

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:08:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:08 UTC

On 2021-08-29, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
> RonB wrote:
>> why it doesn't work from Caja, which I
>> think is basically Mint's version of Nemo.)
>
> Caja = default FM for Mate (from Gnome's Nautilus)
> Nemo = default FM for Cinnamon (also from Nautilus)
> Thunar = default FM for XFCE (from 'scratch' via python)

Thanks. I used Thunar for a while when I used Vector Linux (14 or 15 years
ago now). Vector Linux used Xfce as its default. I tried Xfce recently on
Linux Mint. It's become a lot more sophisticated than it used to be.