The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

SubjectAuthor
* Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredNewsKrawler
+- Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredJolly Roger
+* Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredRod Speed
|`- Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredJohn Doe
 `- Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-EngineeredSilverSlimer

1
Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<sfqp67$1dfaf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19348&group=comp.mobile.android#19348

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 11:48:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 11:48 UTC

Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/08/apples-neuralhash-algorithm-has-been-reverse-engineered.html

*We even have found two different images that hash to the same value!*

We built a system like Apple's to flag child sexual abuse material and
concluded the tech was dangerous
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/19/apple-csam-abuse-encryption-security-privacy-dangerous/

"What stops the Chinese government from demanding Apple scan those devices
for pro-democracy materials? Absolutely nothing, except Apple's solemn
promise. This is the same Apple that blocked Chinese citizens from apps that
allow access to censored material, that acceded to China's demand to store
user data in state-owned data centers and whose chief executive infamously
declared, "We follow the law everywhere we do business.""

Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<iocm9sF97rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19367&group=comp.mobile.android#19367

Followup: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 21 Aug 2021 16:01:00 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 16:01 UTC

On 2021-08-21, NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

Nope.

---
Apple however told Motherboard in an email that that version analyzed by
users on GitHub is a generic version, and not the one final version that
will be used for iCloud Photos CSAM detection. Apple said that it also
made the algorithm public.

"The NeuralHash algorithm [... is] included as part of the code of the
signed operating system [and] security researchers can verify that it
behaves as described," one of Apple's pieces of documentation reads.
Apple also said that after a user passes the 30 match threshold, a
second non-public algorithm that runs on Apple's servers will check the
results.

"This independent hash is chosen to reject the unlikely possibility that
the match threshold was exceeded due to non-CSAM images that were
adversarially perturbed to cause false NeuralHash matches against the
on-device encrypted CSAM database," the documentation reads.

"If collisions exist for this function I expect they’ll exist in the
system Apple eventually activates," Matthew Green, who teaches
cryptography at Johns Hopkins University, told Motherboard in an online
chat. "Of course it’s possible that they will re-spin the hash function
before they deploy. But as a proof of concept this is definitely valid,"
he added, referring to the research on GitHub.

Apple's new system is not just a technical one, though. Humans will also
review images once the system marks a device as suspicious after a
certain threshold of offending pictures are identified. These people
will verify that the images do actually contain CSAM.

"Apple actually designed this system so the hash function doesn't need
to remain secret, as the only thing you can do with 'non-CSAM that
hashes as CSAM' is annoy Apple's response team with some garbage images
until they implement a filter to eliminate those garbage false positives
in their analysis pipeline," Nicholas Weaver, senior researcher at the
International Computer Science Institute at UC Berkeley, told
Motherboard in an online chat.
---

You'll just have to try harder, trollboi.

JR

Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<iodivlF5j8rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19389&group=comp.mobile.android#19389

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:10:26 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 00:10 UTC

NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote

> Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/08/apples-neuralhash-algorithm-has-been-reverse-engineered.html

> *We even have found two different images that hash to the same value!*

That’s why a human compares the images before its reported, stupid.

> We built a system like Apple's to flag child sexual abuse
> material and concluded the tech was dangerous
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/19/apple-csam-abuse-encryption-security-privacy-dangerous/

> "What stops the Chinese government from demanding
> Apple scan those devices for pro-democracy materials?

No database of hashes for that stuff.

Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<sfsf0c$9fc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19391&group=comp.mobile.android#19391

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:06:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:06 UTC

Troll...

--
NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> From: NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org>
> Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Subject: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 11:48:24 -0000 (UTC)
>
> Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/08/apples-neuralhash-algorithm-has-been-reverse-engineered.html
>
> *We even have found two different images that hash to the same value!*
>
> We built a system like Apple's to flag child sexual abuse material and
> concluded the tech was dangerous
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/19/apple-csam-abuse-encryption-security-privacy-dangerous/
>
> "What stops the Chinese government from demanding Apple scan those devices
> for pro-democracy materials? Absolutely nothing, except Apple's solemn
> promise. This is the same Apple that blocked Chinese citizens from apps that
> allow access to censored material, that acceded to China's demand to store
> user data in state-owned data centers and whose chief executive infamously
> declared, "We follow the law everywhere we do business.""

Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<sft121$3l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19397&group=comp.mobile.android#19397

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:14:56 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 08:14 UTC

Am 22.08.21 um 02:10 schrieb Rod Speed:
> NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote
>
>> Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered
>> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/08/apples-neuralhash-algorithm-has-been-reverse-engineered.html
>
>> *We even have found two different images that hash to the same value!*
>
> That’s why a human compares the images before its reported, stupid.
>
>> We built a system like Apple's to flag child sexual abuse
>> material and concluded the tech was dangerous
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/19/apple-csam-abuse-encryption-security-privacy-dangerous/
>
>> "What stops the Chinese government from demanding
>> Apple scan those devices for pro-democracy materials?
>
> No database of hashes for that stuff.

Not yet, stupid!

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Apple's NeuralHash Algorithm Has Been Reverse-Engineered

<SEvUI.20215$Tz5.4545@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19404&group=comp.mobile.android#19404

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,free.spam
From: sil...@slim.er (SilverSlimer)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:17:36 -0400
 by: SilverSlimer - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:17 UTC

On 2021-08-21 11:06 p.m., John Doe wrote:
> Troll...

Filtered.

--
SilverSlimer