From: dan...@no.spam.thanks (DAN)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Any way to roll back Windows updating Office to 365?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:15:44 +0200
 by: DAN - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:15 UTC

On my Windows 7 machine, I have installed a MS Office 2016 Pro Plus some years
ago.

All was fine until a recent Windows update somehow "upgraded" my Office-2016 to
a pay-repeatedly Office-365 subscription in my back.
I know never approved anything or ticked any upgrade proposal, but maybe I'm
guilty of not un-ticking some carefully hidden clause.

My problem is that now Office says that I don't have a 365 subscription and
they're going to cut me off by July 20th.
Of course I don't have a 365 subscription, I have a paid-for-life 2016 Pro Plus.
Greedy bastards...

Is there any known way to revert my Office to 2016 without reinstalling?

In case not, and I must re-install, is there a way to salvage all my settings,
especially the multiple accounts in Outlook ?

Thanks for any pointers.

Re: Any way to roll back Windows updating Office to 365?

<0001HW.269B762A0EC8F59C70000B0D138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1881&group=alt.windows7.general#1881

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 14:55:38 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:55 UTC

On 2021 Jul 11, DAN wrote
(in article<67cmeg5b02kr5ho7sisirng6oe7fv8e8s0@4ax.com>):

> On my Windows 7 machine, I have installed a MS Office 2016 Pro Plus some years
> ago.
>
> All was fine until a recent Windows update somehow "upgraded" my Office-2016
> a pay-repeatedly Office-365 subscription in my back.
> I know never approved anything or ticked any upgrade proposal, but maybe I'm
> guilty of not un-ticking some carefully hidden clause.
>
> My problem is that now Office says that I don't have a 365 subscription and
> they're going to cut me off by July 20th.
> Of course I don't have a 365 subscription, I have a paid-for-life 2016 Pro
> Plus.
> Greedy bastards...
>
> Is there any known way to revert my Office to 2016 without reinstalling?
>
> In case not, and I must re-install, is there a way to salvage all my settings,
> especially the multiple accounts in Outlook ?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

you can kill the O365 install using
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/deactivate-an-installation-of-
office-767e3560-96ed-4b1c-806d-2fe01c529b1b

You may have to reinstall O2016. I hope you still have the installer. Once
reinstalled you should be able to update to the last O2016 version.

Your settings files should not be changed. I think.

Note that when I last killed O365, it was to totally kick it to the curb, and
replace it with LibreOffice.

Re: Any way to roll back Windows updating Office to 365?

<scfhov$h2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1883&group=alt.windows7.general#1883

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:45:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:45 UTC

Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 11, DAN wrote
> (in article<67cmeg5b02kr5ho7sisirng6oe7fv8e8s0@4ax.com>):
>
>> On my Windows 7 machine, I have installed a MS Office 2016 Pro Plus some years
>> ago.
>>
>> All was fine until a recent Windows update somehow "upgraded" my Office-2016
>> a pay-repeatedly Office-365 subscription in my back.
>> I know never approved anything or ticked any upgrade proposal, but maybe I'm
>> guilty of not un-ticking some carefully hidden clause.
>>
>> My problem is that now Office says that I don't have a 365 subscription and
>> they're going to cut me off by July 20th.
>> Of course I don't have a 365 subscription, I have a paid-for-life 2016 Pro
>> Plus.
>> Greedy bastards...
>>
>> Is there any known way to revert my Office to 2016 without reinstalling?
>>
>> In case not, and I must re-install, is there a way to salvage all my settings,
>> especially the multiple accounts in Outlook ?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> you can kill the O365 install using
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/deactivate-an-installation-of-
> office-767e3560-96ed-4b1c-806d-2fe01c529b1b
>
> You may have to reinstall O2016. I hope you still have the installer. Once
> reinstalled you should be able to update to the last O2016 version.
>
> Your settings files should not be changed. I think.
>
> Note that when I last killed O365, it was to totally kick it to the curb, and
> replace it with LibreOffice.

I would look in Programs and Features control panel, for
how many copies of Office are installed.

I would also check C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86),
to see how many copies of Office are installed. Microsoft
gives them numbers, like Office14 or so. I seem to remember
having two Office folders on some install here, so they don't
necessarily have to bump one another off.

They used to be more aggressive in the past, because the
installers were pure shit back then.

LibreOffice is not functionally identical to Office, but can be
used to kinda sorta fake it (for home usage perhaps). For business
usage I'd stick with the real mccoy to avoid unpleasant surprises.
For home usage, if a font in a document comes out double-printed,
you can just laugh or something. When that happened here, I had
a good chuckle.

The structural decomposition of LibreOffice is excellent.
However, the implementers who write the subroutines,
for one thing, they didn't seem to have a typography
expert. They were doing stupid stuff at first, and
it's because of these noob mistakes, I wouldn't
trust them with business-to-business documents.
I would not send a Libreoffice-generated doc, to a
contact at another business for example.

Paul

Re: Any way to roll back Windows updating Office to 365?

<6d7regd0ack6928ih25qj30u0u8mbbtftl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1935&group=alt.windows7.general#1935

From: dan...@no.spam.thanks (DAN)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 16:08:25 +0200
 by: DAN - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:08 UTC

thanks guys.

Yes it was a great idea to check the program files directory, but unfortunately
the update has removed my 2016 programs. (Not the 2010 which was also there, but
the 2016 is gone)

So I guess my only choice is to uninstall 365 and re-install 2016. And curse MS
all the way...