Do not simplify the design of a program if a way can be found to make it complex and wonderful.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

SubjectAuthor
* OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?Nic
+* Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?Big Al
|`- Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?Nic2
`* Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?Paul
 +- Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?jjb
 `- Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?RobH

1
OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<OE4XI.374$g_4.41@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1947&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1947

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:01:33 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:01 UTC

http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx

I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.

Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<sgimcb$37d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1948&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1948

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:27:37 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:27 UTC

On 8/30/21 9:01 AM, this is what Nic wrote:
> http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx
>
> I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.

Never used /heard of them. My wish list test was $1,077. The only issue I saw was what was the item I was adding in the customize?
Like Nvme drive, what model #. I'd like some more options.

I only went so far and can't really say that there wasn't some itemized list later.

I guess $1077 for a very good desktop with 2 solid state drive, 16G mem, video card, monitor, dual fans, kbd, mouse isn't bad.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<sgin4m$8ol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1949&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1949

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:40:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:40 UTC

Nic wrote:
> http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx
>
> I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.

Why not use the services of local computer
stores for this ? Ask what their "assembly price"
would be, if you bought the parts at their shop.

If you're dissatisfied with the build, it is
much better to be able to drive back to the
shop and get satisfaction from them, than chase
AscendTech around.

AscendTech used to sell previous-generation
motherboards. So if you needed a G31 motherboard
for some old processor you scrapped, you could find
one. That's what they used to be doing.

*******

You can build a PC with a screwdriver.

It's that easy.

It takes around one month of "planning" before
the purchase. Never build in a rush. Allow
enough time for the research first.

Assembly takes no time at all, if you planned well.

If you time-synchronize the purchase of the items
(purchased all at the same time), the retail return
period is maximized for your build. Inquire about
the return policy, before you start your build.
At one time, my local store had very generous
policies, but now, some items are only
supported by the manufacturer warranty.

It is possible, if they build the system,
they will handle the "swapping of parts until
it works". Part of the price of having them build,
is receiving a computer that works.

Paul

Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<sgiqgb$1i6t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1952&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1952

From: inva...@invalid.nl (jjb)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:38:03 +0200
 by: jjb - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 14:38 UTC

On 30-08-2021 15:40, Paul wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx
>>
>> I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.
>>

> Why not use the services of local computer
> stores for this ? Ask what their "assembly price"
> would be, if you bought the parts at their shop.
>
> If you're dissatisfied with the build, it is
> much better to be able to drive back to the
> shop and get satisfaction from them, than chase
> AscendTech around.
>
> AscendTech used to sell previous-generation
> motherboards. So if you needed a G31 motherboard
> for some old processor you scrapped, you could find
> one. That's what they used to be doing.
>
> *******
>
> You can build a PC with a screwdriver.
>
> It's that easy.
>
> It takes around one month of "planning" before
> the purchase. Never build in a rush. Allow
> enough time for the research first.
>
> Assembly takes no time at all, if you planned well.
>
> If you time-synchronize the purchase of the items
> (purchased all at the same time), the retail return
> period is maximized for your build. Inquire about
> the return policy, before you start your build.
> At one time, my local store had very generous
> policies, but now, some items are only
> supported by the manufacturer warranty.
>
> It is possible, if they build the system,
> they will handle the "swapping of parts until
> it works". Part of the price of having them build,
> is receiving a computer that works.
>
>    Paul

Absolutely right. I have built my own computers for the last 20 years.
The only special thing I ever did was (in my latest build with an
AsRock X570 Taichi) to improve the thermal conductivity of the
SouthBridge chipset (see reddit). Never had problems.
May not have been cheaper, but certainly the results were machines I
really liked with everything I needed. Their lifespan was exceptionally.

Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<ip4e8tFit0hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1953&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1953

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:11:09 +0100
 by: RobH - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:11 UTC

On 30/08/2021 14:40, Paul wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx
>>
>> I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.
>>

> Why not use the services of local computer
> stores for this ? Ask what their "assembly price"
> would be, if you bought the parts at their shop.
>
> If you're dissatisfied with the build, it is
> much better to be able to drive back to the
> shop and get satisfaction from them, than chase
> AscendTech around.
>
> AscendTech used to sell previous-generation
> motherboards. So if you needed a G31 motherboard
> for some old processor you scrapped, you could find
> one. That's what they used to be doing.
>
> *******
>
> You can build a PC with a screwdriver.
>
> It's that easy.
>
> It takes around one month of "planning" before
> the purchase. Never build in a rush. Allow
> enough time for the research first.
>
> Assembly takes no time at all, if you planned well.
>
> If you time-synchronize the purchase of the items
> (purchased all at the same time), the retail return
> period is maximized for your build. Inquire about
> the return policy, before you start your build.
> At one time, my local store had very generous
> policies, but now, some items are only
> supported by the manufacturer warranty.
>
> It is possible, if they build the system,
> they will handle the "swapping of parts until
> it works". Part of the price of having them build,
> is receiving a computer that works.
>
>    Paul

That is just what I do. I've been building my own for about 20 years
now, and have built them for other people.
Research, research and research before you buy anything.

I've known it take me several weeks before I actually do buy and components.
My present system is about 6 years old, and still runs as good as it
always has.

Re: OT Has any one bought a computer from these folks?

<%9cXI.29982$Kv2.9405@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1963&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1963

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 17:34:50 -0400
 by: Nic2 - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:34 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> On 8/30/21 9:01 AM, this is what Nic wrote:
>> http://www.ascendtech.us/build-from-scratch-pcs_c_buildfromscrtch.aspx
>>
>> I see they offer Linux Mint as an OS.
>>
> Never used /heard of them. My wish list test was $1,077. The
only
> issue I saw was what was the item I was adding in the customize?
> Like Nvme drive, what model #. I'd like some more options.
>
> I only went so far and can't really say that there wasn't some
itemized
> list later.
>
> I guess $1077 for a very good desktop with 2 solid state drive,
16G mem,
> video card, monitor, dual fans, kbd, mouse isn't bad.

me too, I bookmarked the site, will consider down the road.