Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend. -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Waterfox

SubjectAuthor
* Waterfoxpinnerite
`* Re: WaterfoxJohnny
 +- Re: WaterfoxMike Easter
 +* Re: Waterfoxpinnerite
 |`* Re: Waterfoxpinnerite
 | `* Re: WaterfoxRonB
 |  `* Re: WaterfoxBig Al
 |   `- Re: WaterfoxRonB
 `* Re: WaterfoxBig Al
  `* Re: WaterfoxRonB
   +* OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxBig Al
   |+* Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxNic
   ||`- Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxBig Al
   |+* Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxRonB
   ||`* Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxBig Al
   || +- Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxBig Al
   || `- Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxRonB
   |`- Re: OT Re: Waterfox - FirefoxMike Scott
   `* Re: WaterfoxRonB
    `* Re: WaterfoxRonB
     `* Re: WaterfoxBig Al
      `* Re: WaterfoxRonB
       `* Re: WaterfoxBig Al
        +- Re: WaterfoxRonB
        `- Re: WaterfoxRonB

1
Waterfox

<20210830225058.b38c058b9b3ff7791f9afbeb@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1964&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1964

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Waterfox
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:50 UTC

I wanted to try it.

apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report error.

What do other userts do?

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Re: Waterfox

<20210830165752.19d850e3@jspc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1965&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1965

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Waterfox
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:57:52 -0500
 by: Johnny - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:57 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to try it.
>
> apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file
> from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report
> error.
>
> What do other userts do?

Get the .deb from here and just install it.

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe

If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.

I used the Debian version.

Re: Waterfox

<ip56ojFng1cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1966&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1966

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:09:06 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 23:09 UTC

Johnny wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>
>> I wanted to try it.
>>
>> apt install waterfox didn't work

I use synaptic and look in the repo/s to see if it is in there.

>> so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file from the website ad unwrapped it.
If it is not in the repo/s, I look for a .ppa to match my version of
Ubuntu; for a current Mint that would be Ub 20.04.

>> What do other userts do?
>>

> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>
> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe

Interestingly, that opensuse site has all kinds of packages for
non-opensuse distro/s and various arch/s.

> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>
> I used the Debian version.

I would use the v. for Ub 20.04 for current Mint.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Waterfox

<20210831144012.8584e8f5348d582b9d968827@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1967&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1967

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:40:12 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:40 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:57:52 -0500
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to try it.
> >
> > apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file
> > from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report
> > error.
> >
> > What do other userts do?
> >

> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>
> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>
> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>
> I used the Debian version.

Thanks. I installed the Ubuntu binary. seems to work.

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Re: Waterfox

<sgljp3$t4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1968&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1968

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:01:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:01 UTC

On 8/30/21 5:57 PM, this is what Johnny wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to try it.
>>
>> apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file
>> from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report
>> error.
>>
>> What do other userts do?
>>

> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>
> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>
> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>
> I used the Debian version.

I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with
added code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have 200 lines of code!

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Waterfox

<sgm5p9$qg9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1969&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1969

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:08:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:08 UTC

On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/21 5:57 PM, this is what Johnny wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to try it.
>>>
>>> apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file
>>> from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report
>>> error.
>>>
>>> What do other userts do?
>>>

>> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>>
>> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>>
>> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>>
>> I used the Debian version.
>>

> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with added
> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
> 200 lines of code!

I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
— is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
space as I can get).

I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
for me?

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent

OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgm7a3$82n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1970&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1970

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:34:57 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:34 UTC

On 8/31/21 5:08 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 8/30/21 5:57 PM, this is what Johnny wrote:

>>> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>>>
>>> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>>>
>>> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>>>
>>> I used the Debian version.
>>>

>> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
>> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with added
>> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
>> 200 lines of code!
>
> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
> space as I can get).
>
> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>
> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
> for me?

I don't have an issue with Firefox myself. I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
userChrome.css. Life's not complicated here.
I do notice it's getting slower though. It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs? I have Microsoft Edge Developer
(linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings. And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
tell them apart.
I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Waterfox

<sgm73s$5go$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1971&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1971

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:31 UTC

On 2021-08-31, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 8/30/21 5:57 PM, this is what Johnny wrote:

>>> Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>>>
>>> https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>>>
>>> If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>>>
>>> I used the Debian version.
>>>

>> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
>> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with added
>> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
>> 200 lines of code!
>
> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
> space as I can get).
>
> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>
> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
> for me?

Looks like Waterfox won't update (regular or classic) if you don't have
GLIBC_2.28 or above. Linux Mint 19.1 is at 2.27. Maybe time to look at an
AppImage install? Or just use it as is.

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<IkxXI.7015$6u6.4449@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1972&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1972

Subject: Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:39:52 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:39 UTC

On 8/31/21 5:34 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 8/31/21 5:08 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
>>> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with
>>> added
>>> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
>>> 200 lines of code!
>>
>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last
>> release
>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites).
>> I often
>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It
>> was bad
>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically
>> no tab
>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>> space as I can get).
>>
>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does
>> the DRM
>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a
>> problem
>> for me?
>>
> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself.  I don't push it that much,
> I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
> userChrome.css.   Life's not complicated here.
> I do notice it's getting slower though.  It takes a long time to do
> the initial load at start. 10 secs?  I have Microsoft Edge Developer
> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I
> don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
> it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display
> settings.  And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and
> inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you
> can't tell them apart.
> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>

May I inquire which version you are running-FF- ?

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgm870$cr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1973&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1973

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:50:24 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:50 UTC

On 8/31/21 5:39 PM, this is what Nic wrote:
> On 8/31/21 5:34 PM, Big Al wrote:

>>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
>>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
>>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
>>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
>>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>>> space as I can get).
>>>
>>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
>>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>>> for me?
>>>
>> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself.  I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
>> userChrome.css.   Life's not complicated here.
>> I do notice it's getting slower though.  It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs?  I have Microsoft Edge Developer
>> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to
>> do it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings.  And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
>> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
>> tell them apart.
>> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>
>>
> May I inquire which version you are running-FF- ?

91.0.2 64bit. Linux

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgmet3$j82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1974&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1974

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:44:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:44 UTC

On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/21 5:08 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
>>> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with added
>>> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
>>> 200 lines of code!
>>
>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>> space as I can get).
>>
>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>> for me?
>>
> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself. I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
> userChrome.css. Life's not complicated here.
> I do notice it's getting slower though. It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs? I have Microsoft Edge Developer
> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
> it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings. And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
> tell them apart.
> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>

Not seeking perfection — I just want pages to load. The problem seems to be
mostly with sites that host forums. Found out Waterfox DOES handle DRM, so
maybe Firefox is history. (But really no reason I can't use both.)

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<sgmfkr$j82$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1975&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1975

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:57:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:57 UTC

On 2021-08-31, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I know it's close to Firefox, and close is a good word. I put my
>>> userChrome.css in and about 3 items did not work. 1 I could fix with added
>>> code, the other 2 just don't work. But that's pretty good when you have
>>> 200 lines of code!
>>
>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>> space as I can get).
>>
>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>> for me?
>
> Looks like Waterfox won't update (regular or classic) if you don't have
> GLIBC_2.28 or above. Linux Mint 19.1 is at 2.27. Maybe time to look at an
> AppImage install? Or just use it as is.

The newest AppImage (I found) works on this computer for Waterfox Current
(2020.10). I just downloaded the image, put it in its own directory, made a
small shell script to run it and built a launcher to run the shell script.
Faster than Firefox.

The shell script "w" is just...

#! /bin/bash
cd ~/Downloads/waterfx
../w*AppImage &
exit

I can either run it from a launcher or the terminal. From the terminal I use
the "source" shortcut, ". w", so the terminal goes away after starting
Waterfox.

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<sgmret$i7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1976&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1976

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:18:53 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:18 UTC

On 8/31/21 7:57 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
>>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
>>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
>>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
>>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>>> space as I can get).
>>>
>>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
>>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>>> for me?
>>
>> Looks like Waterfox won't update (regular or classic) if you don't have
>> GLIBC_2.28 or above. Linux Mint 19.1 is at 2.27. Maybe time to look at an
>> AppImage install? Or just use it as is.
>
> The newest AppImage (I found) works on this computer for Waterfox Current
> (2020.10). I just downloaded the image, put it in its own directory, made a
> small shell script to run it and built a launcher to run the shell script.
> Faster than Firefox.
>
> The shell script "w" is just...
>
> #! /bin/bash
> cd ~/Downloads/waterfx
> ./w*AppImage &
> exit
>
> I can either run it from a launcher or the terminal. From the terminal I use
> the "source" shortcut, ". w", so the terminal goes away after starting
> Waterfox.

I don't understand the need for a script? Doesn't a launcher just run the waterfox executable directly?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgmri7$i7t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1977&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1977

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:20:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:20 UTC

On 8/31/21 7:44 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2021-08-31, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I just started using Waterfox again because Firefox — since the last release
>>> — is just sitting there when you try to open a site (not all sites). I often
>>> have to refresh it one or two times to finally get it to "take." It was bad
>>> two releases ago and got worse with the latest release. I use the same
>>> userChrome.css file in Waterfox that I use in Firefox (just basically no tab
>>> bar if only one window is open, and a condensed top bar — I like as much
>>> space as I can get).
>>>
>>> I also have Pale Moon, which I keep forgetting to use. Firefox does the DRM
>>> stuff, so I can't completely get rid of it.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>>> for me?
>>>
>> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself. I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
>> userChrome.css. Life's not complicated here.
>> I do notice it's getting slower though. It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs? I have Microsoft Edge Developer
>> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
>> it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings. And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
>> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
>> tell them apart.
>> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>
>
> Not seeking perfection — I just want pages to load. The problem seems to be
> mostly with sites that host forums. Found out Waterfox DOES handle DRM, so
> maybe Firefox is history. (But really no reason I can't use both.)

I have Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and now Waterfox. I'll probably get rid of Waterfox, just too much work and 4 is just too many browsers.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgmrk2$i7t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1978&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1978

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 23:21:38 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:21 UTC

On 8/31/21 11:20 PM, this is what Big Al wrote:
> On 8/31/21 7:44 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself.  I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
>>> userChrome.css.   Life's not complicated here.
>>> I do notice it's getting slower though.  It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs?  I have Microsoft Edge Developer
>>> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
>>> it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings.  And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
>>> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
>>> tell them apart.
>>> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>
>>
>> Not seeking perfection — I just want pages to load. The problem seems to be
>> mostly with sites that host forums. Found out Waterfox DOES handle DRM, so
>> maybe Firefox is history. (But really no reason I can't use both.)
>>
> I have Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and now Waterfox.   I'll probably get rid of Waterfox, just too much work and 4 is just too many browsers.

It just occurred to me that there really is a good choice of browsers for people. One has to work for someones needs.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Waterfox

<sgmtak$p29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1979&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1979

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:50:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:50 UTC

On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/21 7:57 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> Looks like Waterfox won't update (regular or classic) if you don't have
>>> GLIBC_2.28 or above. Linux Mint 19.1 is at 2.27. Maybe time to look at an
>>> AppImage install? Or just use it as is.
>>
>> The newest AppImage (I found) works on this computer for Waterfox Current
>> (2020.10). I just downloaded the image, put it in its own directory, made a
>> small shell script to run it and built a launcher to run the shell script.
>> Faster than Firefox.
>>
>> The shell script "w" is just...
>>
>> #! /bin/bash
>> cd ~/Downloads/waterfx
>> ./w*AppImage &
>> exit
>>
>> I can either run it from a launcher or the terminal. From the terminal I use
>> the "source" shortcut, ". w", so the terminal goes away after starting
>> Waterfox.
>>
> I don't understand the need for a script? Doesn't a launcher just run the waterfox executable directly?

Yes it does. :) I guess I did it this way because I wrote the shell script
first and I didn't think (for some reason) that AppImages could be run from
a launcher. Getting old, I guess. I actually don't use the launcher, just
open a terminal (Shift+Ctrl+m) and type and enter ". w" (without the quotes).

At any rate, you're right. No reason for the shell script if you're running
this from a launcher.

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgmtpm$p29$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1980&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1980

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:58:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 03:58 UTC

On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/21 7:44 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself. I don't push it that much, I have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
>>> userChrome.css. Life's not complicated here.
>>> I do notice it's getting slower though. It takes a long time to do the initial load at start. 10 secs? I have Microsoft Edge Developer
>>> (linux ver.) install and it's up in a flash, and not only that but I don't have to use a css to fix the UI, not that there is any way to do
>>> it, but it just looks good out of the box in Linux with my display settings. And they have one rather nice built in theme that shades
>>> properly, unlike some of the themes in FF that have the active and inactive tabs and the tab bar all about 1 shade different and you can't
>>> tell them apart.
>>> I guess we all want perfection though. <grin>
>>
>> Not seeking perfection — I just want pages to load. The problem seems to be
>> mostly with sites that host forums. Found out Waterfox DOES handle DRM, so
>> maybe Firefox is history. (But really no reason I can't use both.)
>>
> I have Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and now Waterfox. I'll probably get rid of Waterfox, just too much work and 4 is just too many browsers.

I have Chromium (hardly ever use it), Dissenter (almost never use it),
Firefox, Links2 (used it quite a bit for a while), Pale Moon (used to be my
default), Vivaldi (use it when I need a "Chrome" browser, rarely), Waterfox
(version 68) and the new Waterfox from the AppImage and Yandex Browser (only
remember I have that one when it upgrades). I need to get rid of some of
these. I like testing them, however. I use to have both Vivaldi and the
Vivaldi Bets (or whatever they called it).

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<sgn2oe$j7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1981&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1981

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 01:23:26 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 05:23 UTC

On 8/31/21 11:50 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> The newest AppImage (I found) works on this computer for Waterfox Current
>>> (2020.10). I just downloaded the image, put it in its own directory, made a
>>> small shell script to run it and built a launcher to run the shell script.
>>> Faster than Firefox.
>>>
>>> The shell script "w" is just...
>>>
>>> #! /bin/bash
>>> cd ~/Downloads/waterfx
>>> ./w*AppImage &
>>> exit
>>>
>>> I can either run it from a launcher or the terminal. From the terminal I use
>>> the "source" shortcut, ". w", so the terminal goes away after starting
>>> Waterfox.
>>>
>> I don't understand the need for a script? Doesn't a launcher just run the waterfox executable directly?
>
> Yes it does. :) I guess I did it this way because I wrote the shell script
> first and I didn't think (for some reason) that AppImages could be run from
> a launcher. Getting old, I guess. I actually don't use the launcher, just
> open a terminal (Shift+Ctrl+m) and type and enter ". w" (without the quotes).
>
> At any rate, you're right. No reason for the shell script if you're running
> this from a launcher.

Thanks. There for a minute I thought I missed something. I don't use appimages, really with waterfox I just have 2 now. So when I just
made a launcher, I was concerned "did I do it right?".

One question. The appimage runs but keeps telling me it can't update so it wants me to do it manually and points me back to the same place
I got it from. How do I stop this, it's asked twice now?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: OT Re: Waterfox - Firefox

<sgnbbr$3pa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1983&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1983

From: usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:50:18 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 07:50 UTC

On 31/08/2021 22:34, Big Al wrote:
mmmm
>> Does anyone know what the deal is with Firefox, or is this just a problem
>> for me?
>>
> I don't have an issue with Firefox myself.  I don't push it that much, I
> have 5 or so add-ons and 2-3 good themes and I decorate with
> userChrome.css.   Life's not complicated here.

It's the arbitrary changes that annoy me. I've had a web server running
for years. Yesterday, FF announced it wasn't going to access it: didn't
like the non-standard port I use (part of protecting it from prying
eyes). So instead of spending 5 minutes doing the job in hand, I spent
20 looking for a FF workaround. Grrrr. Not the first time this sort of
thing has happened either. The least they could have done was pop up an
'are you really sure?' window.

Looks like I'll be trying waterfox real soon now.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: Waterfox

<sgo0q5$q8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1984&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1984

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 13:56:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 13:56 UTC

On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/21 11:50 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I don't understand the need for a script? Doesn't a launcher just run the waterfox executable directly?
>>
>> Yes it does. :) I guess I did it this way because I wrote the shell script
>> first and I didn't think (for some reason) that AppImages could be run from
>> a launcher. Getting old, I guess. I actually don't use the launcher, just
>> open a terminal (Shift+Ctrl+m) and type and enter ". w" (without the quotes).
>>
>> At any rate, you're right. No reason for the shell script if you're running
>> this from a launcher.
>>
> Thanks. There for a minute I thought I missed something. I don't use appimages, really with waterfox I just have 2 now. So when I just
> made a launcher, I was concerned "did I do it right?".
>
> One question. The appimage runs but keeps telling me it can't update so it wants me to do it manually and points me back to the same place
> I got it from. How do I stop this, it's asked twice now?

I haven't had that issue. What version of Waterfox are you using? I
downloaded my AppImage from this page (using the U.S. mirrors)...

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/hawkeye116477:/waterfox/AppImage/waterfox-current-latest-x86_64.AppImage.mirrorlist

I don't know if it's the newest available Waterfox AppImage, however. Not
sure how upgrades work with AppImages. I'm guessing every time you change
out your AppImage you might lose your settings and bookmarks (if you don't
export them).

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<sgo1lh$48f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1985&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1985

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:10:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:10 UTC

On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/21 11:50 PM, this is what RonB wrote:

>>> I don't understand the need for a script? Doesn't a launcher just run the waterfox executable directly?
>>
>> Yes it does. :) I guess I did it this way because I wrote the shell script
>> first and I didn't think (for some reason) that AppImages could be run from
>> a launcher. Getting old, I guess. I actually don't use the launcher, just
>> open a terminal (Shift+Ctrl+m) and type and enter ". w" (without the quotes).
>>
>> At any rate, you're right. No reason for the shell script if you're running
>> this from a launcher.
>>
> Thanks. There for a minute I thought I missed something. I don't use appimages, really with waterfox I just have 2 now. So when I just
> made a launcher, I was concerned "did I do it right?".
>
> One question. The appimage runs but keeps telling me it can't update so it wants me to do it manually and points me back to the same place
> I got it from. How do I stop this, it's asked twice now?

It looks like can you turn off the update notification by going to
about:config in your URL space, then search for "app.update.silent." Double
click on it to turn it to "true." I guess I'm not getting this notification
because my Waterfox is the newest available. (When I click on check for
updates, I get a, "this is the newest available version" response.)

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<20210901203005.33354842b84081bd420023cd@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1988&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1988

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 20:30:05 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:30 UTC

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:40:12 +0100
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:57:52 -0500
> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 22:50:58 +0100
> > pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted to try it.
> > >
> > > apt install waterfox didn't work so I downloaded the tar.bz2 file
> > > from the website ad unwrapped it. That just produced a crash report
> > > error.
> > >
> > > What do other userts do?
> > >

> > Get the .deb from here and just install it.
> >
> > https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
> >
> > If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
> >
> > I used the Debian version.
> >

> Thanks. I installed the Ubuntu binary. seems to work.

I copied ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.waterfox
and recovered all my FF bokmarks. Simpler than I anticipated.

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Re: Waterfox

<sgoqe4$lb5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1995&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1995

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 21:13:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 21:13 UTC

On 2021-09-01, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:40:12 +0100
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:57:52 -0500
>> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>> > Get the .deb from here and just install it.
>> >
>> > https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Ahawkeye116477%3Awaterfox&package=waterfox-current-kpe
>> >
>> > If dependencies are not met for the newest version, use an older one.
>> >
>> > I used the Debian version.
>> >

>> Thanks. I installed the Ubuntu binary. seems to work.
>>

> I copied ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.waterfox
> and recovered all my FF bokmarks. Simpler than I anticipated.

I didn't realize that the AppImage created a .waterfox directory. So it's
official, I'm totally ignorant on this subject. But at least publishing my
ignorance allowed others to teach me new things.

And, on the plus side, this lets me to copy my "no tab" userChrome.css file
to Waterfox and it works well. Now I'll have to see what else I can do with
it.

Thanks.

--
These years, during which the accursed SECT OF MASONRY will take control of
the civil government... These unfortunate men will think the Convent
destroyed, but God lives, and I live, and we will raise up powerful
defenders and set before these enemies, difficulties impossible to conquer,
and the triumph will be ours..." — Our Lady of Good Success

Re: Waterfox

<sgou47$kaa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1998&group=alt.os.linux.mint#1998

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 18:16:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:16 UTC

On 9/1/21 5:13 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2021-09-01, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:40:12 +0100
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. I installed the Ubuntu binary. seems to work.
>>>

>> I copied ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.waterfox
>> and recovered all my FF bokmarks. Simpler than I anticipated.
>
> I didn't realize that the AppImage created a .waterfox directory. So it's
> official, I'm totally ignorant on this subject. But at least publishing my
> ignorance allowed others to teach me new things.
>
> And, on the plus side, this lets me to copy my "no tab" userChrome.css file
> to Waterfox and it works well. Now I'll have to see what else I can do with
> it.
>
> Thanks.

I installed it from the tarball, still, I too had the warm fuzzy feeling when my chrome folder worked. I did see a few oops between FF and
WF. Stuff in one doesn't work in the other. Made me dig a bit to tweak the css to get the same thing to work in both systems. Just one
little item to fix and I'll be there with a mirror on both systems. Makes it easy to just copy & paste.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Waterfox

<sgousk$hu5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2003&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2003

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:29:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 22:29 UTC

On 2021-09-01, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/21 5:13 PM, this is what RonB wrote:
>> On 2021-09-01, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I copied ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.waterfox
>>> and recovered all my FF bokmarks. Simpler than I anticipated.
>>
>> I didn't realize that the AppImage created a .waterfox directory. So it's
>> official, I'm totally ignorant on this subject. But at least publishing my
>> ignorance allowed others to teach me new things.
>>
>> And, on the plus side, this lets me to copy my "no tab" userChrome.css file
>> to Waterfox and it works well. Now I'll have to see what else I can do with
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> I installed it from the tarball, still, I too had the warm fuzzy feeling when my chrome folder worked. I did see a few oops between FF and
> WF. Stuff in one doesn't work in the other. Made me dig a bit to tweak the css to get the same thing to work in both systems. Just one
> little item to fix and I'll be there with a mirror on both systems. Makes it easy to just copy & paste.

I only have the one .css file. And it works. So I'm happy.