People are going to scream bloody murder about that. -- Seen on linux-kernel

computers / alt.free.newsservers / Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

SubjectAuthor
* Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?R.Wieser
+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Sn!pe
|+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Paul Marshall
||`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Sn!pe
|`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?oo DAVID KEETING
+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationMarco Moock
|`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpGrant Taylor
| +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpAdam H. Kerman
| |`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationMarco Moock
| | `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpGrant Taylor
| |  `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?jbyrd
| +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?William Stickers
| |+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationAnton Shepelev
| ||`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?William Stickers
| || +- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Sn!pe
| || `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?none
| ||  `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationAnton Shepelev
| ||   `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationnoel
| |`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationnoel
| | `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationAdam H. Kerman
| +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Incubus
| |`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpIvo Gandolfo
| | `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Incubus
| |  +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpIvo Gandolfo
| |  |+* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Bill W
| |  ||+- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?jj
| |  ||`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSledge
| |  |`- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSpecOp
| |  `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpHormel Can
| `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationnoel
|  `* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Sebastian Stan
|   +* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSpecOp
|   |`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Fourragere
|   | `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpSpecOp
|   `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registrationnoel
`* Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?R.Wieser
 +- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?Sn!pe
 +- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpGrant Taylor
 `- Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntpIvo Gandolfo

Pages:12
Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsmt8v$dq63$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1966&group=alt.free.newsservers#1966

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Subject: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:45:49 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 03:45 UTC

Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

[nntp.aioe.org:119]
[news.dizum.net:119]
[freenews.netfront.net:119]
[news.neodome.net:119]
[news.mixmin.net:563]

aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server
dizum is no longer available for posting
netfront is no longer available for posting
neodome is no longer available for posting
mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<1q6agtu.9drbj01heul38N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1969&group=alt.free.newsservers#1969

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:17:21 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:17 UTC

R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:

> Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?
>
> [nntp.aioe.org:119]
> [news.dizum.net:119]
> [freenews.netfront.net:119]
> [news.neodome.net:119]
> [news.mixmin.net:563]
>
> aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server
> dizum is no longer available for posting
> netfront is no longer available for posting
> neodome is no longer available for posting
> mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

In no particular order:

At least two of those servers became unavailable because
abusers caused their admins to close them for posting.
Another boasted it was a "problem provider"; it may still be,
everything posted there goes straight into my global killfile.
One was an altruistic hobby server that despite precautions
had many abusers. It suffered a catastrophic disk failure.
One is a more or less respectable server; I don't know why
it's having problems (is it still u/s?).

I expect that Paul will be along soon to tell us the inside story
as seen from the Pembroke perspective.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsnht5$3ifng$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1970&group=alt.free.newsservers#1970

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration
nntp servers?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:37:41 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:37 UTC

Am 17.02.2023 um 04:45:49 Uhr schrieb R.Wieser:

> Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
> servers?
>
> [nntp.aioe.org:119]
> [news.dizum.net:119]
> [freenews.netfront.net:119]
> [news.neodome.net:119]
> [news.mixmin.net:563]
>
> aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server

RAID failure, recovery takes some time.

> dizum is no longer available for posting

Maybe because it has been abused by spammers.

> mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others

That server has been abused for sending spam. Maybe the operator
restricted posting.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsnhv6$fuvq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1971&group=alt.free.newsservers#1971

From: pmarsh...@albasani.net (Paul Marshall)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:38:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul Marshall - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:38 UTC

On 17 Feb 2023, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) posted some

> R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:
>
>> Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
>> servers?
>>
>> [nntp.aioe.org:119]
>> [news.dizum.net:119]
>> [freenews.netfront.net:119]
>> [news.neodome.net:119]
>> [news.mixmin.net:563]
>>
>> aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server
>> dizum is no longer available for posting
>> netfront is no longer available for posting
>> neodome is no longer available for posting
>> mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser
>>

> In no particular order:
>
> At least two of those servers became unavailable because
> abusers caused their admins to close them for posting.
> Another boasted it was a "problem provider"; it may still be,

You mean you couldn't stalk anybody on it and it was a "problem provider"
for you because you got your ass kicked numerous times by posters using
it.

> everything posted there goes straight into my global killfile.
> One was an altruistic hobby server that despite precautions
> had many abusers. It suffered a catastrophic disk failure.

Storage controller failure.

> One is a more or less respectable server; I don't know why
> it's having problems (is it still u/s?).
>
> I expect that Paul will be along soon to tell us the inside story
> as seen from the Pembroke perspective.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<1q6am8n.1saerf11mw2aebN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1972&group=alt.free.newsservers#1972

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:07:20 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:07 UTC

Paul Marshall <pmarshall@albasani.net> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2023, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) posted some
>
> > R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:
> >
> >> Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
> >> servers?
> >>
> >> [nntp.aioe.org:119]
> >> [news.dizum.net:119]
> >> [freenews.netfront.net:119]
> >> [news.neodome.net:119]
> >> [news.mixmin.net:563]
> >>
> >> aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server
> >> dizum is no longer available for posting
> >> netfront is no longer available for posting
> >> neodome is no longer available for posting
> >> mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Rudy Wieser
> >>

> > In no particular order:
> >
> > At least two of those servers became unavailable because
> > abusers caused their admins to close them for posting.
> > Another boasted it was a "problem provider"; it may still be,
>
> You mean you couldn't stalk anybody on it and it was a "problem provider"
> for you because you got your ass kicked numerous times by posters using
> it.

Hello, Paul. I don't think we've met before unless our paths have
crossed using other names. You do seem remarkably familiar...

Anyway: I'm too proud to post on Dizum; it was full of knaves,
vagabonds, miscreants and abusers. Ye shall be known by the
company ye keep, eh what?

> > everything posted there goes straight into my global killfile.
> > One was an altruistic hobby server that despite precautions
> > had many abusers. It suffered a catastrophic disk failure.
>
> Storage controller failure.
>
> > One is a more or less respectable server; I don't know why
> > it's having problems (is it still u/s?).
> >
> > I expect that Paul will be along soon to tell us the inside story
> > as seen from the Pembroke perspective.

JFTR: Paul Marshall is not the Paul to whom I was referring, unless
anybody here knows any different. I'm curious, though: how is it
that his Injection-Info shows paganini but his User-Agent shows
Google Groups' G2/1.0? There's something funny going on! ≈:o)

----------
------------

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsoj8h$jg8p$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1974&group=alt.free.newsservers#1974

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:07:11 -0800
 by: R.Wieser - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:07 UTC

oo DAVID KEETING

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:45:49 +0100, R.Wieser observed the following stuff:
> that's certainly an odd coincidents , don't you think? i don't believe in
> coincidents , i wonder if pembroke paul does?

What's also odd is I tried to send this message and it doesn't show up.
At least not in the two newsgroups that I only sent it to
alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp

Is it just those two newsgroups being blocked by Paganini & Mixmin?

Even now the original message that I had sent to the two newsgroup still
doesn't show up but your replies show up. I don't know why.

I sent it with paganini and mixmin and both were delayed greatly.
Neither shows up but people's responses show up.

How did anyone get the original post if I don't see it having been posted?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<1q6b9lv.w6tom21dtyvniN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1975&group=alt.free.newsservers#1975

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:19:27 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:19 UTC

R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:

> oo DAVID KEETING
>
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:45:49 +0100, R.Wieser observed the following stuff:
> > that's certainly an odd coincidents , don't you think? i don't believe in
> > coincidents , i wonder if pembroke paul does?
>
> What's also odd is I tried to send this message and it doesn't show up.
> At least not in the two newsgroups that I only sent it to
> alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
>
> Is it just those two newsgroups being blocked by Paganini & Mixmin?
>
> Even now the original message that I had sent to the two newsgroup still
> doesn't show up but your replies show up. I don't know why.
>
> I sent it with paganini and mixmin and both were delayed greatly.
> Neither shows up but people's responses show up.
>
> How did anyone get the original post if I don't see it having been posted?
>
> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

I assume you are reading on Paganini; try looking
for your article on another newsserver.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tspm4r$f2g$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1981&group=alt.free.newsservers#1981

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
servers?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:00:24 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:00 UTC

On 2/17/23 2:37 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> RAID failure, recovery takes some time.

We're well beyond the time needed to recover from a RAID failure.

Perhaps the RAID card itself died and a new one needed to be acquired
which needed funding.

Replacing a disk, even ordering it, is faster.

Restoring from backups on a new RAID is faster.

There's more than /just/ a RAID failure.

Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tspm91$f2g$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1982&group=alt.free.newsservers#1982

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:02:38 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:02 UTC

On 2/17/23 12:07 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> What's also odd is I tried to send this message and it doesn't show up.
> At least not in the two newsgroups that I only sent it to
> alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp

I've seen multiple copies of your message in multiple newsgroups.

I see three copies in this newsgroup.

On 2/16/23 8:45 PM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp
> servers?

The 3rd is the thread that I'm replying to.

You've used an invalid email address so I can't CC you to make sure that
you do see this message in case the server you're using is messed up.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tspned$3thmi$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1983&group=alt.free.newsservers#1983

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:24:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 05:24 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>On 2/17/23 2:37 AM, Marco Moock wrote:

>>RAID failure, recovery takes some time.

>We're well beyond the time needed to recover from a RAID failure.

>Perhaps the RAID card itself died and a new one needed to be acquired
>which needed funding.

>Replacing a disk, even ordering it, is faster.

>Restoring from backups on a new RAID is faster.

>There's more than /just/ a RAID failure.

>Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Let's assume Paolo has a real life he had to get back to.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsq2n3$3ujq0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1984&group=alt.free.newsservers#1984

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
nntp servers?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:36:51 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 08:36 UTC

Am 18.02.2023 um 05:24:29 Uhr schrieb Adam H. Kerman:

> Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> >On 2/17/23 2:37 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
>
> >>RAID failure, recovery takes some time.
>
> >We're well beyond the time needed to recover from a RAID failure.
>
> >Perhaps the RAID card itself died and a new one needed to be
> >acquired which needed funding.
>
> >Replacing a disk, even ordering it, is faster.
>
> >Restoring from backups on a new RAID is faster.
>
> >There's more than /just/ a RAID failure.
>
> >Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.
>
> Let's assume Paolo has a real life he had to get back to.

I heard that he had other problems (health?), but I dunno if that is
true.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<b86IL.1389371$GNG9.1009853@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1987&group=alt.free.newsservers#1987

From: bill.sti...@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:28:07 -0000
 by: William Stickers - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:28 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:
{...}
> Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.

More than likely. If he was bringing it back he'd have
found a way to post something to that effect. His silence
is deafening.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsr0ej$2nmm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1988&group=alt.free.newsservers#1988

From: u9536...@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 17:04:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 17:04 UTC

On 2023-02-18, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.

That's also my assessment of the facts as we currently seem to know them.

To speculate, It could be the spammers finally drove Paolo & Steve crazy to
the point that their good hearts couldn't handle the depression that the
spammers literally "delight" in taking advantage of their largesse.

These spammers who spam even this ng have no heart. No soul. No humanity.
No shame.

Me?

I'm just a normal user who desires privacy while on Usenet, where the free
newsservers allow me to not have to pay by privacy eroding credit cards.

Hence, for protecting my privacy by providing a free Usenet service over
the years, I give heartfelt thanks to Paolo Amoroso, Steve Crook, Jesse
Rehmer, Wolfgang Weyand, Alexander Bartolich, Sabine Schultz, Roman Racine,
Daniel & Monika Weber, Benjamin Gufler, Steen Jensen (not all of whom are
still with us, may they rest in peace), and others whom I am less familiar
with such as Alex de Joode & admins at paganini, neodome, and netfront
respectively.

Those people above are heroes to me for all the thankless work they perform
for me in terms of supporting my abilitity to converse on Usenet by keeping
the dignity of my privacy intact.

Thank you all.
--
PS: Grant... you've helpmed me many times which I also appreciate.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsr392$et3$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1989&group=alt.free.newsservers#1989

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:50:39 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 17:50 UTC

On 2/18/23 1:36 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
> I heard that he had other problems (health?), but I dunno if that
> is true.

I hope that's not the case.

But that's the type of things that would make a hardware problem take
much longer to resolve.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tss6cq$18fb2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1990&group=alt.free.newsservers#1990

From: jby...@dont-email.me (jbyrd)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 03:51:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jbyrd - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 03:51 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote in

> On 2/18/23 1:36 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
>> I heard that he had other problems (health?), but I dunno if that
>> is true.
>
> I hope that's not the case.
>
> But that's the type of things that would make a hardware problem take
> much longer to resolve.

Absence of backups, the smell of napalm in the data center when your
server's RAID array goes tits up. That could adversely impact health.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<MPG.3e5b41238a965a0998bf22@usnews.blocknews.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1991&group=alt.free.newsservers#1991

From: oo.dave....@ass.worm (oo DAVID KEETING)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:10:52 -0800
 by: oo DAVID KEETING - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 04:10 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:17:21 +0000, Sn!pe
..

> R.Wieser <address@not.available> wrote:
>
> > Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?
> >
> > [nntp.aioe.org:119]
> > [news.dizum.net:119]
> > [freenews.netfront.net:119]
> > [news.neodome.net:119]
> > [news.mixmin.net:563]
> >
> > aioe is still out of commission as an nntp server
> > dizum is no longer available for posting
> > netfront is no longer available for posting
> > neodome is no longer available for posting
> > mixmin is delaying some messages by days and not sending most others
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rudy Wieser
> >

> In no particular order:
>
> At least two of those servers became unavailable because
> abusers caused their admins to close them for posting.
> Another boasted it was a "problem provider"; it may still be,
> everything posted there goes straight into my global killfile.
> One was an altruistic hobby server that despite precautions
> had many abusers. It suffered a catastrophic disk failure.
> One is a more or less respectable server; I don't know why
> it's having problems (is it still u/s?).
>
> I expect that Paul will be along soon to tell us the inside story
> as seen from the Pembroke perspective.

All the Jew spam crap has disappeared from AC, and I sure as hell don't miss
Dizum or Mixmin's dubious contributions to Usenet.

--
DAVID KEETING x\o

"My issue is I care for people too much."

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<20230219185631.1d851404412d32d678a2e09c@gmail.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1992&group=alt.free.newsservers#1992

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
nntp servers?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:56:31 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:56 UTC

William Stickers:

> His silence is deafening.

Last time I heard from Paolo, he was in very bad health and
feared for his life. It would be great if someone from
Italy were able to contact him and his relations and
friends, to find a way the community could help him, e.g.
via PayPal or Patreon.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<kTvIL.1018465$iS99.981267@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1993&group=alt.free.newsservers#1993

From: bill.sti...@innocent.com (William Stickers)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:45:04 -0000
 by: William Stickers - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:45 UTC

Anton Shepelev wrote:

> William Stickers:
>
> > His silence is deafening.
>
> Last time I heard from Paolo, he was in very bad health and
> feared for his life. It would be great if someone from
> Italy were able to contact him and his relations and
> friends, to find a way the community could help him, e.g.
> via PayPal or Patreon.

I'm very sorry to hear that and I'm sure most people
reading this would join me in wishing him a speedy
recovery.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<1q6f7wt.11cjv4j1ao7dzlN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1994&group=alt.free.newsservers#1994

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:32:08 +0000
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:32 UTC

William Stickers <bill.stickers@innocent.com> wrote:

> Anton Shepelev wrote:
> >
> > William Stickers:
> >
> > > His silence is deafening.
> >
> > Last time I heard from Paolo, he was in very bad health and
> > feared for his life. It would be great if someone from
> > Italy were able to contact him and his relations and
> > friends, to find a way the community could help him, e.g.
> > via PayPal or Patreon.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear that and I'm sure most people
> reading this would join me in wishing him a speedy
> recovery.

AOL. GWS, Paolo.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tsu8bi$t17$1@toxic.dizum.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1995&group=alt.free.newsservers#1995

From: noth...@none.nhi (none)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:37:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: none - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:37 UTC

On 19 Feb 2023, William Stickers <bill.stickers@innocent.com> posted some

> Anton Shepelev wrote:
>>
>> William Stickers:
>>
>> > His silence is deafening.
>>
>> Last time I heard from Paolo, he was in very bad health and
>> feared for his life. It would be great if someone from
>> Italy were able to contact him and his relations and
>> friends, to find a way the community could help him, e.g.
>> via PayPal or Patreon.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear that and I'm sure most people
> reading this would join me in wishing him a speedy
> recovery.

Italy has socialized medicine. It's pretty good too. They also have
social assistance, but it's not a lot.

Did he mention the health issue?

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<20230220014102.7671261004b8d77963acb75d@gmail.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1996&group=alt.free.newsservers#1996

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
nntp servers?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 01:41:02 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 22:41 UTC

none:

> Did he mention the health issue?

No.

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt2n2r$2799c$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2004&group=alt.free.newsservers#2004

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:13:23 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:13 UTC

On 17/02/2023 20:07, R.Wieser wrote:
> Is it just those two newsgroups being blocked by Paganini & Mixmin?
>

> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

Hi Rudy,

on my server (due to abuse) it's only closed for posting alt.checkmate.
The all other's group are open (and I checked the log's of my peers
accept all article). And checked all log's of artcle posted on my server
and not found reject-by-policy.

Do u have any problem using my server? if yes please report all problem
to my email, thank's :)

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt2n42$2799c$2@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2005&group=alt.free.newsservers#2005

From: use...@bofh.team (Ivo Gandolfo)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
servers?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:14:05 +0100
 by: Ivo Gandolfo - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:14 UTC

On 18/02/2023 18:04, Incubus wrote:
> with such as Alex de Joode & admins at paganini, neodome, and netfront
> respectively.
>
> Those people above are heroes to me for all the thankless work they perform
> for me in terms of supporting my abilitity to converse on Usenet by keeping
> the dignity of my privacy intact.
>
> Thank you all.

Thank's to you Incubus.

Sincerely

--
Ivo Gandolfo

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<tt2pch$163ob$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2006&group=alt.free.newsservers#2006

From: u9536...@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:52:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 15:52 UTC

On 2023-02-21, Ivo Gandolfo <usenet@bofh.team> wrote:
>> Those people above are heroes to me for all the thankless work they perform
>> for me in terms of supporting my abilitity to converse on Usenet by keeping
>> the dignity of my privacy intact.
>>
>> Thank you all.
>
> Thank's to you Incubus.
>
> Sincerely
> Ivo Gandolfo

Hi Ivo Gandolfo,

Thank you for being wonderful in adding your bastard operator nntp server
to the mix recently, where I had originally thought you were just pranking
someone, but then you opened it up again to everyone, which I appreciate.

I assume Ivo Gandolfo is as Ray Banana is to Wolfgang Weyand, where a
memorably interesting nym is likely a good thing for an nntp server admin.

Personally, I've been on Usenet since, oh, the memory fails me, but maybe
since the backslash bang days of sending emails to specific server hops.

Hence I very much appreciate the "old style" country attitude of pitching
in to help others, where I do what I can myself, even if it's not running a
Usenet server (I run a non-exit node for Tor services for example, where
the exit node is just too much responsibility for me to take on myself).

I thank you for being a good netizen by serving a similar public need for
privacy, where to me, the instant you pay for something, privacy is lost.

Remember the "olden days" when we used to actually use our real email
address, and then when we received a spam or two a month, we'd complain to
the POP (in those days) server admin about their customer spamming us!

Those days are gone where you are forced to automatically badword filter
(yours is a little Draconian but that's OK as it's easy to change the word)
and you kind of limit the number of posts per day (also, perfectly
acceptable as while I will never spam, plenty of people will so you needed
to implement strict filters on the number of posts per time period per IP).

For me, the free newsservers offer anonymity because I don't have to pay
with a credit card, which is important to me, which is why I appreciate
wonderful nntp admins such as you are and the others, not all of whom are
still doing it - mostly because of the headaches from the spammers.

Offhand, netfront, dizum, albasani & neodome (I think) have been forced to
give up completely while mixmin seems to have done so partially with
extended wait times and perhaps the venerable aioe is not coming up because
it's just not worth the hassles of dealing with the innumerable spammers.

Given I'm sure they spam using your free no-registration server, I
sincerely thank you for your new service, which many will use now that poor
Paolo is having issues, perhaps with health, where there but for the grace
of God go all of us, and has been the case when Roman Racine took over the
nntp server from Sabine Shultz when Alexander Bartolich passed away (may he
rest in peace).

I apologize for this long thank you note, but very few people thank you I'm
sure (certainly they don't thank me!), so I do very much wish to say your
service is much appreciated by those of us who are old school and who
simply want a bit of privacy when expressing our personal opinions on
Usenet.

Thank you!
Incubus

Re: Is this a current assessment of the 5 broken no registration nntp servers?

<63f534b4$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2010&group=alt.free.newsservers#2010

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
nntp servers?
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp
Date: 22 Feb 2023 07:16:36 +1000
 by: noel - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 21:16 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 22:00:24 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 2/17/23 2:37 AM, Marco Moock wrote:
>> RAID failure, recovery takes some time.
>
> We're well beyond the time needed to recover from a RAID failure.
>
> Perhaps the RAID card itself died and a new one needed to be acquired
> which needed funding.
>
> Replacing a disk, even ordering it, is faster.
>
> Restoring from backups on a new RAID is faster.
>
> There's more than /just/ a RAID failure.
>
> Maybe the RAID failure was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Why does he even have RAID, I recall not only does he just carry text
groups, he also has stated he has a short (few months) retention period,
he certainly doesn't need "space"