The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Re: Receive some email but not others

SubjectAuthor
* Receive some email but not othersRichard Ashbery
`* Re: Receive some email but not othersChris Hughes
 +* Re: Receive some email but not othersMartin
 |`* Re: Receive some email but not othersRichard Ashbery
 | +- Re: Receive some email but not othersMartin
 | `* Re: Receive some email but not othersChris Newman
 |  `- Re: Receive some email but not othersRichard Ashbery
 +- Re: Receive some email but not othersRichard Ashbery
 `- Re: Receive some email but not othersMik Towse

1
Receive some email but not others

<59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=190&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#190

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Receive some email but not others
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:07:39 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 13:07 UTC

Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive email
messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm receiving
some emails but not others even from identical ISPs (eg.
@btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none appear to be
set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing is set under the
"Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules" radio button is also
ticked but None is listed for the account. As far as I remember I've
never changed these settings. Has anyone else been having issues?

RISC OS 5.29. Hermes (5.52) via NetFetch (5.52) in conjunction with
Pluto (3.18)

Richard

Re: Receive some email but not others

<bc9d859159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=191&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#191

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: Receive some email but not others
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:10:23 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:10 UTC

In message <59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk>
Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive email
> messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm receiving
> some emails but not others even from identical ISPs (eg.
> @btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none appear to be
> set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing is set under the
> "Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules" radio button is also
> ticked but None is listed for the account. As far as I remember I've
> never changed these settings. Has anyone else been having issues?

How many emails at a time are you sending out?

Various ISP/Hosting companies set limits on the batches and been tighten
up in some cases recently.

Are you using a real email address as the From address?

I assume you are using BCC to send the emails.

From your description it might not your end that is the issue but
somewhere inbetween.

> RISC OS 5.29. Hermes (5.52) via NetFetch (5.52) in conjunction with
> Pluto (3.18)

For info NetFetch is now on 5.53

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Receive some email but not others

<599189857bNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=193&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#193

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:53:05 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:53 UTC

In article <bc9d859159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk>
> Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> > Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive email
> > messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm
> > receiving some emails but not others even from identical ISPs
> > (eg. @btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none
> > appear to be set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing is
> > set under the "Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules"
> > radio button is also ticked but None is listed for the account.
> > As far as I remember I've never changed these settings. Has
> > anyone else been having issues?

> How many emails at a time are you sending out?

> Various ISP/Hosting companies set limits on the batches and been
> tighten up in some cases recently.

> Are you using a real email address as the From address?

> I assume you are using BCC to send the emails.

> From your description it might not your end that is the issue but
> somewhere inbetween.

> > RISC OS 5.29. Hermes (5.52) via NetFetch (5.52) in conjunction
> > with Pluto (3.18)

> For info NetFetch is now on 5.53

I am unclear whether the problem is
- some of a mass email never arrive at their recipients,
- or if the recipients reply then some never arrive back at Richard.

Pluto has the ability to limit recipients for mass emails.

Maybe some ISP spam filters are trapping emails to or fro?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: Receive some email but not others

<599196500ebasura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=195&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#195

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:12:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:12 UTC

In article <599189857bNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
<News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <bc9d859159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
> <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk> Richard Ashbery
> > <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> > > Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive
> > > email messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm
> > > receiving some emails but not others even from identical ISPs
> > > (eg. @btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none
> > > appear to be set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing
> > > is set under the "Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules"
> > > radio button is also ticked but None is listed for the account.
> > > As far as I remember I've never changed these settings. Has
> > > anyone else been having issues?

> > How many emails at a time are you sending out?

> > Various ISP/Hosting companies set limits on the batches and been
> > tighten up in some cases recently.

> > Are you using a real email address as the From address?

> > I assume you are using BCC to send the emails.

> > From your description it might not your end that is the issue but
> > somewhere inbetween.

> > > RISC OS 5.29. Hermes (5.52) via NetFetch (5.52) in conjunction
> > > with Pluto (3.18)

> > For info NetFetch is now on 5.53

> I am unclear whether the problem is - some of a mass email never
> arrive at their recipients

ASFAIK they always arrive at recipients.

> or if the recipients reply then some
> never arrive back at Richard.

Yes - that's my problem.

> Pluto has the ability to limit recipients for mass emails.

I'll research that.

> Maybe some ISP spam filters are trapping emails to or fro?

That's a point - I'll try and contact the ISP and find out what's
going on.

Richard

Re: Receive some email but not others

<599195e9f2basura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=196&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#196

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:08:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:08 UTC

In article <bc9d859159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk> Richard Ashbery
> <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> > Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive email
> > messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm
> > receiving some emails but not others even from identical ISPs
> > (eg. @btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none
> > appear to be set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing is
> > set under the "Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules"
> > radio button is also ticked but None is listed for the account.
> > As far as I remember I've never changed these settings. Has
> > anyone else been having issues?

> How many emails at a time are you sending out?

16. Hardly very many

> Various ISP/Hosting companies set limits on the batches and been
> tighten up in some cases recently.

I guess this could be the issue. I'll check this with ISP. However
recipients receive all the ones I send out on the distribution list.

> Are you using a real email address as the From address?

Yes

> I assume you are using BCC to send the emails.

Yes

> From your description it might not your end that is the issue but
> somewhere inbetween.

???

> > RISC OS 5.29. Hermes (5.52) via NetFetch (5.52) in conjunction
> > with Pluto (3.18)

> For info NetFetch is now on 5.53

If I upgraded would it make any difference?

Richard

Re: Receive some email but not others

<59919858d6News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=197&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#197

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:34:58 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:34 UTC

In article <599196500ebasura@invalid.addr.uk>,
Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> In article <599189857bNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
> <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > I am unclear whether the problem is - some of a mass email never
> > arrive at their recipients

> ASFAIK they always arrive at recipients.

Good.

> > or if the recipients reply then some never arrive back at Richard.

> Yes - that's my problem.

> > Pluto has the ability to limit recipients for mass emails.

> I'll research that.

That is not the problem if the mass emails all arrive.
Their replies have nothing to fo with how many were sent out.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: Receive some email but not others

<59919758B0%mik.towse@xemik.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=198&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#198

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:24:03 +0000
From: mik...@towse.org.uk (Mik Towse)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
 by: Mik Towse - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:24 UTC

In article <bc9d859159.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> Chris Hughes wrote:
> In message <59916f6493basura@invalid.addr.uk>
> Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> > Over many years I've been able to reliably send and receive email
> > messages via a distribution list set up in Pluto. Now I'm receiving
> > some emails but not others even from identical ISPs (eg.
> > @btinternet.com). I've checked Hermes' filters but none appear to be
> > set. "Use global whitelist" is ticked but nothing is set under the
> > "Edit list" window. "Use spam filtering rules" radio button is also
> > ticked but None is listed for the account. As far as I remember I've
> > never changed these settings. Has anyone else been having issues?
[snip]
> From your description it might not your end that is the issue but
> somewhere inbetween.
That's very possible. I had a client who had issues with (outgoing) emails to
BT users not arriving. Turned out that BT mail servers didn't like incoming
emails from domains that didn't have an SPF record.

It could be that some of the incoming emails are from people with their own
domain using their BT ISP SMTP mail server and your ISP is looking for an SPF
record for their domain email address.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse@xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

Blood is thicker than water; and much tastier

Re: Receive some email but not others

<59922d3aedcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=205&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#205

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:41:10 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:41 UTC

In article <599196500ebasura@invalid.addr.uk>,

> > Pluto has the ability to limit recipients for mass emails.

> I'll research that.

Pluto iconbar menu -> Preferences -> News/Mail -> Limit recipients

I chose batches of 8 and never have any problems

--
Chris Newman

Re: Receive some email but not others

<59927389f9basura@invalid.addr.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=206&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#206

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 12:29:08 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Richard Ashbery - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 12:29 UTC

In article <59922d3aedcvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <599196500ebasura@invalid.addr.uk>,

> > > Pluto has the ability to limit recipients for mass emails.

> > I'll research that.

> Pluto iconbar menu -> Preferences -> News/Mail -> Limit recipients

> I chose batches of 8 and never have any problems

Thanks Chris for that - I did find the option. Unfortunately that
won't help my problem because all recipients on my distribution list
are receiving my mails - Martin kindly pointed this out. It's some of
their replies I don't receive. I've been assured that they sent
replies. I've checked Hermes error logs and nothing shows any problem
- I can only conclude there is an issue with my ISP.

Richard