All science is either physics or stamp collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: mbox archive for a news server

SubjectAuthor
* mbox archive for a news serverJason Evans
+* Re: mbox archive for a news serverMatija Nalis
|`* Re: mbox archive for a news serverJason Evans
| `- Re: mbox archive for a news serverGrant Taylor
+- Re: mbox archive for a news serverFrank Slootweg
`* Re: mbox archive for a news serverRuss Allbery
 `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverTed Heise
  `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverGrant Taylor
   `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverTed Heise
    `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverTodd Michel McComb
     `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverGrant Taylor
      `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverRuss Allbery
       +* Re: mbox archive for a news serverAdam H. Kerman
       |+* Re: mbox archive for a news serverRuss Allbery
       ||`* Re: mbox archive for a news serverTed Heise
       || +- Re: mbox archive for a news serverRuss Allbery
       || `- Re: mbox archive for a news serverAdam H. Kerman
       |`- Re: mbox archive for a news serverTed Heise
       `* Re: mbox archive for a news serverJohn Levine
        `- Re: mbox archive for a news serverTodd Michel McComb

1
mbox archive for a news server

<sfvheu$o2u$1@theuse.news.theuse.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=180&group=news.software.nntp#180

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: mbox archive for a news server
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 07:07:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 07:07 UTC

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone here knows about an archival tool or
script that can be used to back up new articles into mbox format. Similar
to what exists in archive.org. I'm not much of a programmer but before I
spend the time and effort to cobble together a bash script to do this, I
want to see if someone here already has some this that can do that
already. No need to re-invent the wheel, etc. Thanks.

__
JE

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<slrnsi7d4m.1ug.mnalis-news@leia.home.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=181&group=news.software.nntp#181

From: mnalis-n...@voyager.hr (Matija Nalis)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: mbox archive for a news server
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:45:42 +0200
Sender: mnalis@public.hr
 by: Matija Nalis - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:45 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 07:07:10 -0000 (UTC), Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone here knows about an archival tool or
> script that can be used to back up new articles into mbox format. Similar
> to what exists in archive.org. I'm not much of a programmer but before I
> spend the time and effort to cobble together a bash script to do this, I
> want to see if someone here already has some this that can do that
> already. No need to re-invent the wheel, etc. Thanks.

I'm using slrn as news agent, and simply use '#' to tag messages/threads
I want to archive, and then press 'o' to select mbox file in which to
save them (could be more automated with slang macros in slrn, if one wants)

That is for archive.org-alike saving (you choose what you want to save).

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg0e2u$o2u$2@theuse.news.theuse.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=182&group=news.software.nntp#182

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:15:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:15 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:45:42 +0200, Matija Nalis wrote:

> I'm using slrn as news agent, and simply use '#' to tag messages/threads
> I want to archive, and then press 'o' to select mbox file in which to
> save them (could be more automated with slang macros in slrn, if one
> wants)
>
> That is for archive.org-alike saving (you choose what you want to save).

Hi Matija,

Thanks for the input.

However I'm running my own INN news server using the tradpool storage
method. I want to be able to create an automated monthly archive of every
article on my server and dump that to mbox files for each newsgroup.
Doing it through slrn would be way too much of a headache.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg0l3t.6hg.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=183&group=news.software.nntp#183

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 23 Aug 2021 15:16:04 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:16 UTC

Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if anyone here knows about an archival tool or
> script that can be used to back up new articles into mbox format. Similar
> to what exists in archive.org. I'm not much of a programmer but before I
> spend the time and effort to cobble together a bash script to do this, I
> want to see if someone here already has some this that can do that
> already. No need to re-invent the wheel, etc. Thanks.

If I understand your question correctly, then the '-S' option of the
'tin' newsreader can do what you want.

Here are some relevant sections from the tin(1) manpage:

-S Save unread articles for later reading by the ''-R''
option. For more information read section "AUTOMATIC MAIL-
ING AND SAVING NEW NEWS".

[...]

AUTOMATIC MAILING AND SAVING NEW NEWS
tin allows new/unread news articles to be mailed (''-M'' and ''-N''
option) or saved (''-S'' option) in batch mode for later reading. Use-
ful when going on holiday and you don't want to return and find that
expire has removed a whole load of unread articles. Best to run via
cron(1) everyday while away, after which you will be mailed a report of
which articles were mailed/saved from which newsgroups and the total
number of articles mailed/saved. Articles are saved in a private news
structure under your savedir directory (default is ${TIN_HOME-
DIR:-"$HOME"}/News). Be careful of using this option if you read a lot
of groups because you could overflow your file system.

When using ''-S'' together with a given directory to save to (''-s''
option), the same directory must be specified when reading the articles
by ''-R''.

If you only want to save some of your groups use the batch_save tinrc
variable. Set to ON or OFF in tinrc to enable/disable saving of all
groups and then use the batch_save attribute to fine tune which groups
you want to have saved. For example, if you want to save most of your
groups, then set batch_save to ON in tinrc and selectively turn off the
ones you don't want using attributes.

tin -M iain -c -f newsrc.mail
(mail any unread articles in newsgroups specified
in file newsrc.mail to the local user iain and mark
them as read)

tin -S -c -f newsrc.save
(save any unread articles in newsgroups specified
in file newsrc.save and mark them as read)

tin -R (read any articles saved by tin -S)

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg0u1p$ut9$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=184&group=news.software.nntp#184

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:45:33 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:45 UTC

On 8/23/21 9:15 AM, Jason Evans wrote:
> However I'm running my own INN news server using the tradpool storage
> method. I want to be able to create an automated monthly archive
> of every article on my server and dump that to mbox files for each
> newsgroup. Doing it through slrn would be way too much of a headache.

I think I would approach this a slightly different way.

I'd think about configuring a peer with a news feed similar to
news-to-email such that every (selected) incoming article is sent to the
archiving system. I'd then rely on the archiving system to manage the
monthly archives. Even if the archiving system is something as simple
as a script that appends the message to an mbox formatted file with a
file name derived from the newsgroup name and month (and likely year).
That way the month to month rotation would be implicit. This would also
avoid the complexity of interfacing with NNTP or the news spool thus
eliminating the need to match formats.

The biggest unknown for me at the moment is how to deal with all the
newsgroups and different files. I'm sure that you could create
different mbox archive files for each newsgroup, but you probably want
something scalable that doesn't require manual configuration. I would
initially wonder about just extracting the contents of the Newsgroups:
header and append the message to the file for each of the listed
newsgroups. But I've seen some questionable content in the Newsgroups:
header. So you'll likely want to do something to sanitize the user
provided content and not blindly accept it. Maybe do a string filter /
case fold / comparison against the contents of the active (newsgroups) file.

You will probably want something to find older archives and do some sort
of maintenance on them, compression or removal of really old archives.
I feel like a cron job working on files > 2 intervals (months) old (to
avoid the possibility of a race condition) would suffice.

You might want to store the archives in a directory per group in it's
own directory structure. YMMV

I suspect if you back up and look at the LEGO pieces from a different
direction you can probably come up with a workable solution. -- Don't
maintain state that must be synchronized / compared a la polling. Do
this stateless and use push from the news server itself. }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<877dgc6i5d.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=185&group=news.software.nntp#185

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:05:50 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:05 UTC

Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:

> I would like to know if anyone here knows about an archival tool or
> script that can be used to back up new articles into mbox
> format. Similar to what exists in archive.org. I'm not much of a
> programmer but before I spend the time and effort to cobble together a
> bash script to do this, I want to see if someone here already has some
> this that can do that already. No need to re-invent the wheel, etc.

The archive program that comes with INN and can be configured as a feed in
newsfeeds is fairly close to what you want except that when you configure
it to store multiple messages in a single file, it uses a custom separator
rather than doing From escaping and inserting a mailbox From.

You could run it in its default mode where it saves each individual
message to a file and then separately run some other program to convert a
directory full of files to a mailbox. I suspect most of the Google hits
for "maildir2mbox" would do it, since a maildir is essentially a directory
full of messages.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<slrnsi8faf.rkt.theise@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=news.software.nntp#186

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:29:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 00:29 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:05:50 -0700,
Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
> Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to know if anyone here knows about an archival
> > tool or script that can be used to back up new articles into
> > mbox format. Similar to what exists in archive.org. I'm not
> > much of a programmer but before I spend the time and effort to
> > cobble together a bash script to do this, I want to see if
> > someone here already has some this that can do that already.
> > No need to re-invent the wheel, etc.
>
> The archive program that comes with INN and can be configured
> as a feed in newsfeeds is fairly close to what you want except
> that when you configure it to store multiple messages in a
> single file, it uses a custom separator rather than doing From
> escaping and inserting a mailbox From.
>
> You could run it in its default mode where it saves each
> individual message to a file and then separately run some other
> program to convert a directory full of files to a mailbox. I
> suspect most of the Google hits for "maildir2mbox" would do it,
> since a maildir is essentially a directory full of messages.

The formail tool that comes with procmail may be worth looking at
in this context too.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg1seq$va9$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=187&group=news.software.nntp#187

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:24:30 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 04:24 UTC

On 8/23/21 6:29 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> The formail tool that comes with procmail may be worth looking at in
> this context too.

formail is a very nice tool. I use the crap out of it, particularly in
procmail recipes and commands querying messages. But I thought that it
split mbox / archives into multiple discrete messages, not the other way
around which is my understanding of the OP's need. If I'm mistaken,
please correct me.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<slrnsiaar2.68d.theise@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=188&group=news.software.nntp#188

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:24:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:24 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:24:30 -0600,
Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 8/23/21 6:29 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
> > The formail tool that comes with procmail may be worth looking
> > at in this context too.
>
> formail is a very nice tool. I use the crap out of it,
> particularly in procmail recipes and commands querying
> messages. But I thought that it split mbox / archives into
> multiple discrete messages, not the other way around which is
> my understanding of the OP's need. If I'm mistaken, please
> correct me.

Ah Grant, I think you are correct. Thanks for setting things
straight!

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg3a9g$qio$1@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=189&group=news.software.nntp#189

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:29:20 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd Michel McComb - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:29 UTC

In article <slrnsiaar2.68d.theise@panix2.panix.com>,
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:24:30 -0600,
> Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
>> On 8/23/21 6:29 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
>> > The formail tool that comes with procmail may be worth looking
>> > at in this context too.
>> formail is a very nice tool. I use the crap out of it,
>> particularly in procmail recipes and commands querying
>> messages. But I thought that it split mbox / archives into
>> multiple discrete messages, not the other way around which is
>> my understanding of the OP's need. If I'm mistaken, please
>> correct me.
>Ah Grant, I think you are correct. Thanks for setting things
>straight!

formail can be used to add mail headers such as From.... You could
process through formail and then just 'cat' straight to an mbox
file.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg5om3$8m1$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=news.software.nntp#190

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:44:15 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 15:44 UTC

On 8/24/21 11:29 AM, Todd Michel McComb wrote:
> formail can be used to add mail headers such as From.... You could
> process through formail and then just 'cat' straight to an mbox file.

I want to agree. But I have concerns.

I believe that formail habitually /appends/ new headers to the existing
headers. Seeing as how the From line is used as a message separator in
mbox format, it /MUST/ be the first header. I'm not sure that formail
in and of itself can /prepend/ / insert a header at the start of a message.

I suspect that it might be better to use formail to extract the From:
header, mung it to fabricate a From separator line contents, and then
prepend it to the message. E.g. do something like the following:

for message in /path/to/desired/articles/*; do
NewFrom=$(cat $message | formail -x From: | $CommandToReformat)
echo "" >> /path/to/archive
echo "From $NewFrom" >> /path/to/archive
cat $message >> /path/to/archive
done

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<877dg97cc7.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=news.software.nntp#191

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 08:50:32 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 15:50 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:

> I believe that formail habitually /appends/ new headers to the existing
> headers. Seeing as how the From line is used as a message separator in
> mbox format, it /MUST/ be the first header. I'm not sure that formail
> in and of itself can /prepend/ / insert a header at the start of a
> message.

Another problem is that the line used as a message separator is not a
header (it doesn't have a colon). It starts with "From " and is a weird
special case left over from mbox's odd legacy format.

A more subtle problem is that Usenet messages don't escape lines that
start with "From " in the body of the message, but this is mandatory when
storing messages in mbox format or a body line might be mistaken for the
start of a new message. Conventionally this is done by prepending > to
the line starting with "From ". There are other approaches, but one needs
to do something about this. The maildir2mbox programs will handle this
case (or should).

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg674t$ldn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=192&group=news.software.nntp#192

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:54:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:54 UTC

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:

>>I believe that formail habitually /appends/ new headers to the existing
>>headers. Seeing as how the From line is used as a message separator in
>>mbox format, it /MUST/ be the first header. I'm not sure that formail
>>in and of itself can /prepend/ / insert a header at the start of a
>>message.

>Another problem is that the line used as a message separator is not a
>header (it doesn't have a colon). It starts with "From " and is a weird
>special case left over from mbox's odd legacy format.

>A more subtle problem is that Usenet messages don't escape lines that
>start with "From " in the body of the message, but this is mandatory when
>storing messages in mbox format or a body line might be mistaken for the
>start of a new message. Conventionally this is done by prepending > to
>the line starting with "From ". There are other approaches, but one needs
>to do something about this. The maildir2mbox programs will handle this
>case (or should).

The conventional mbox separator line is created from ENVELOPE FROM.

I've been using alpine/pine forever. It doesn't parse for "nlFrom_" but
a line resembling ENVELOPE FROM. All these years of use, I can't say
it's ever mistaken a line in the body for a separator line.

If I archive an article from Usenet, it's to an mbox just so I can read
it with a mail client. If I have to do it manually, I just copy and
paste a separator line that is recognized.

A parser that looks for "nlFrom_" shouldn't be acceptable.

And, yeah, I've seen Usenet articles that escape "nlFrom_". It messes up
the quote level.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<87k0k95kf9.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=news.software.nntp#193

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:38:50 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:38 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

> I've been using alpine/pine forever. It doesn't parse for "nlFrom_" but
> a line resembling ENVELOPE FROM. All these years of use, I can't say
> it's ever mistaken a line in the body for a separator line.

I agree that the chances of this being a problem given a sufficiently
picky parser are low, but they're still not non-zero since there is no
protocol reason why a Usenet article cannot contain a line like:

From foo@example.com Wed Aug 25 13:33:52 2021

in, for example, a discussion of envelope From lines. :) So when
contemplating archive software that one wants to just work and not have to
think about, ideally it should cope with this.

The old Babyl format solves this problem, but alas never caught on in the
UNIX world.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<slrnsidb10.c0q.theise@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=194&group=news.software.nntp#194

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:46:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:46 UTC

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 19:54:05 -0000 (UTC),
Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
> >Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:
>
> >>I believe that formail habitually /appends/ new headers to the
> >>existing headers. Seeing as how the From line is used as a
> >>message separator in mbox format, it /MUST/ be the first
> >>header. I'm not sure that formail in and of itself can
> >>/prepend/ / insert a header at the start of a message.
>
> >Another problem is that the line used as a message separator is
> >not a header (it doesn't have a colon). It starts with "From "
> >and is a weird special case left over from mbox's odd legacy
> >format.
>
> >A more subtle problem is that Usenet messages don't escape
> >lines that start with "From " in the body of the message, but
> >this is mandatory when storing messages in mbox format or a
> >body line might be mistaken for the start of a new message.
> >Conventionally this is done by prepending > to the line
> >starting with "From ". There are other approaches, but one
> >needs to do something about this. The maildir2mbox programs
> >will handle this case (or should).
>
> The conventional mbox separator line is created from ENVELOPE
> FROM.
>
> I've been using alpine/pine forever. It doesn't parse for
> "nlFrom_" but a line resembling ENVELOPE FROM. All these years
> of use, I can't say it's ever mistaken a line in the body for a
> separator line.
>
> If I archive an article from Usenet, it's to an mbox just so I
> can read it with a mail client. If I have to do it manually, I
> just copy and paste a separator line that is recognized.

This is all very interesting, and jogging some very old memories.
I too have used Pine for decades, and have slrn configured to save
Usenet posts straight into my pine mbox mail structure. It works
wonderfully well.

What I was thinking of when I offered my original suggestion was a
time many years ago that I converted a boatload of e-mail from
some other structure for use in pine. My recollection is I just
fed that large file into formail and it generated a flood of
individual messages that all ended up in my inbox. I suppose this
would have depended on the mail processing system in place at the
time as well, but I'm pretty sure they ended up in mbox format.

Sorry this is not better informed, and please don't roast me too
badly if I'm off track.

--
Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<slrnsidb77.c0q.theise@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=news.software.nntp#195

From: the...@panix.com (Ted Heise)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:49:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ted Heise - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:49 UTC

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:38:50 -0700,
Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:
> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:
>
> > I've been using alpine/pine forever. It doesn't parse for "nlFrom_" but
> > a line resembling ENVELOPE FROM. All these years of use, I can't say
> > it's ever mistaken a line in the body for a separator line.
>
> I agree that the chances of this being a problem given a sufficiently
> picky parser are low, but they're still not non-zero since there is no
> protocol reason why a Usenet article cannot contain a line like:
>
> From foo@example.com Wed Aug 25 13:33:52 2021
>
> in, for example, a discussion of envelope From lines. :) So when
> contemplating archive software that one wants to just work and not have to
> think about, ideally it should cope with this.
>
> The old Babyl format solves this problem, but alas never caught on in the
> UNIX world.

For what it's worth, I saved the above message to my pine mbox
file and got the below. so somewhere somehow the bare From line is
getting changed in that process.

Ted

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:38:50 -0700
From: Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org>
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:

> I've been using alpine/pine forever. It doesn't parse for "nlFrom_" but
> a line resembling ENVELOPE FROM. All these years of use, I can't say
> it's ever mistaken a line in the body for a separator line.

I agree that the chances of this being a problem given a
sufficiently picky parser are low, but they're still not non-zero
since there is no protocol reason why a Usenet article cannot
contain a line like:

>From foo@example.com Wed Aug 25 13:33:52 2021

in, for example, a discussion of envelope From lines. :) So when
contemplating archive software that one wants to just work and not
have to think about, ideally it should cope with this.

The old Babyl format solves this problem, but alas never caught on
in the UNIX world.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<87fsux5jha.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=196&group=news.software.nntp#196

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:59:13 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 20:59 UTC

Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, I saved the above message to my pine mbox file and
> got the below. so somewhere somehow the bare From line is getting
> changed in that process.

Yeah, the normal approach is that when you save a post to an mbox, the
client does From line escaping like that.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg6bmg$9fa$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=news.software.nntp#197

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:11:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:11 UTC

Ted Heise <theise@panix.com> wrote:

>For what it's worth, I saved the above message to my pine mbox
>file and got the below. so somewhere somehow the bare From line is
>getting changed in that process.

Escaping "nlFrom_" is an option in .pinerc. I keep it unset. I don't
recall which setting is default.

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg6l4n$jn2$1@gal.iecc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=news.software.nntp#198

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 23:52:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Levine - Wed, 25 Aug 2021 23:52 UTC

According to Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org>:
>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> writes:
>
>> I believe that formail habitually /appends/ new headers to the existing
>> headers. ...

I am getting the strange feeling that I am the only person here who has run a news
message through formail to see what happens.

So as not to leave you in suspense, it puts a From_ line at the top, using the address
in the regular From: header and the current timestamp. If you glom those together,
you'll get an mbox.

It does >From escapes, too.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: mbox archive for a news server

<sg6m3u$b7s$1@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=news.software.nntp#199

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd Michel McComb)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 00:09:34 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd Michel McComb - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 00:09 UTC

In article <sg6l4n$jn2$1@gal.iecc.com>, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:
>I am getting the strange feeling that I am the only person here
>who has run a news message through formail to see what happens.

Ha, well, I don't normally post here, but that's why I did! I'm
not enthusiastic enough about it as a solution to insist, though....
:-)