We can defeat gravity. The problem is the paperwork involved.

computers / comp.os.vms / Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

SubjectAuthor
* Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
+- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Andy Burns
+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Arne Vajhøj
|+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Scott Dorsey
||`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bob Eager
|| `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Scott Dorsey
||  `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bob Eager
|+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
||+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Scott Dorsey
|||`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
||| +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Arne Vajhøj
||| +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
||| `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Scott Dorsey
|||  `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
||+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Arne Vajhøj
|||+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
|||+* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
|||`- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
||+- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
||`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
|| `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
|`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?chris
| `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
|  `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?chris
+- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Don North
`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?chris
 `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
  +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Arne Vajhøj
  +* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?chris
  |+- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
  |`* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
  | +* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
  | |`- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
  | `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bob Eager
  |  `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
  |   `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?David Wade
  |    +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
  |    +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Bill Gunshannon
  |    +- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
  |    `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Grant Taylor
  `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist
   `* Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Simon Clubley
    `- Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?Johnny Billquist

Pages:123
Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqrocr$rou$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19776&group=comp.os.vms#19776

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 08:39:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 08:39 UTC

Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.

The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).

OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.

Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?

If so, do you have any links to them ?

Thanks,

Simon.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3dcrhFnb2aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19780&group=comp.os.vms#19780

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:24:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:24 UTC

Simon Clubley wrote:

> I thought I would look for other operating systems which ran on VAX and try
> them out. The only current one I have found is NetBSD

I looked a while ago, bit it doesn't seem to support DSSI disks, so no use for
my aforementioned VS3300.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<61d1c0b9$0$695$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19784&group=comp.os.vms#19784

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:11:48 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:11 UTC

On 1/2/2022 3:39 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
> other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.
>
> The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
> a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).
>
> OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.
>
> Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
> experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?
>
> If so, do you have any links to them ?

Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
as open source options for VAX.

NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
a current version??

You did not run a current VMS version on it.

And resource wise it may be a better fit for an older OS
anyway.

Alternatively you could take up the Linux VAX port. Some
work was done many years ago and I believe they got pretty
far.

Arne

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqsfun$idg$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19786&group=comp.os.vms#19786

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 15:21:59 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:21 UTC

=?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:

>Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>as open source options for VAX.
>
>NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>a current version??

What is the status on 4.1 and 4.2BSD? I know that V/32 is pretty much
all AT&T code.

There used to be a UCSD P-System kit available for the vax as well. Have
not thought about that in ages.

Also... what is the story with Ultrix-32? Are the licenses transferrable?
--scott

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqsrc5$r8t$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19791&group=comp.os.vms#19791

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:36:52 +0100
 by: Johnny Billquist - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:36 UTC

On 2022-01-02 16:11, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/2/2022 3:39 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
>> other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.
>>
>> The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
>> a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).
>>
>> OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
>> experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?
>>
>> If so, do you have any links to them ?
>
> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
> as open source options for VAX.

As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...

> NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
> a current version??
>
> You did not run a current VMS version on it.
>
> And resource wise it may be a better fit for an older OS
> anyway.

That is definitely true. It's not that pleasant to run current NetBSD on
any VAX at the moment. But there are also some problems/issues that
we're waiting for a new version of gcc to come along, where they have
been fixed.

> Alternatively you could take up the Linux VAX port. Some
> work was done many years ago and I believe they got pretty
> far.

I think it booted to single user mode. Not sure it got much further. Not
sure anyone would even want to try and pick that up, as Linux is
constantly changing under the hood, making it a big task to resume
something abandoned years ago.

Johnny

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3ea2bFpu04U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19794&group=comp.os.vms#19794

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 18:43:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:43 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 15:21:59 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>
>>Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu as
>>open source options for VAX.
>>
>>NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>>a current version??
>
> What is the status on 4.1 and 4.2BSD? I know that V/32 is pretty much
> all AT&T code.

I have 4.3 Quasijarus, but I have only run it on the simulator.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqssp2$m4v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19795&group=comp.os.vms#19795

From: nad...@spam.com (Don North)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 11:00:47 -0800
 by: Don North - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 19:00 UTC

On 2022-01-02 00:39, Simon Clubley wrote:
> Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
> other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.
>
> The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
> a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).
>
> OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.
>
> Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
> experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?
>
> If so, do you have any links to them ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon.

I have NetBSD still running OK on my other VAX VLC box. It is an old version,
but works just fine. My OpenVMS 7.4 VAX VLC is now brain dead.

NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Nov 6 19:48:36 UTC 2010

Welcome to NetBSD!

Sun Jan 2 10:47:37 PST 2022
donorth(1) uname -a
NetBSD netbsdvax.home.lan 5.1 NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sat Nov 6 19:48:36 UTC
2010
builds@b8.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-RELEASE/vax/201011061943Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC
vax
donorth(2)

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt1kr$e07$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19796&group=comp.os.vms#19796

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 20:23:55 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:23 UTC

Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:
>On 2022-01-02 16:11, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>> as open source options for VAX.
>
>As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...

I think you are talking about two different things. Mt. Xinu made a
number of commercial products. XINU was a unixlike kernel without much
else; it was not a full "OS distribution" as we would call it today,
but it was open source. It was an interesting demo for students but
it was not actually useful for anything.
--scott

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt1o6$npe$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19797&group=comp.os.vms#19797

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 20:25:42 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:25 UTC

Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 15:21:59 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Vajh=c3=b8j?= <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>>>
>>>Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu as
>>>open source options for VAX.
>>>
>>>NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>>>a current version??
>>
>> What is the status on 4.1 and 4.2BSD? I know that V/32 is pretty much
>> all AT&T code.
>
>I have 4.3 Quasijarus, but I have only run it on the simulator.

Yes. 4.3 is "not constrained by the AT&T license" whatever the lawyers really
mean by that.
--scott

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3ehqmFpu04U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19798&group=comp.os.vms#19798

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 20:55:50 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:55 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 20:25:42 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

>>> What is the status on 4.1 and 4.2BSD? I know that V/32 is pretty much
>>> all AT&T code.
>>
>>I have 4.3 Quasijarus, but I have only run it on the simulator.
>
> Yes. 4.3 is "not constrained by the AT&T license" whatever the lawyers
> really mean by that.

I have a page with instructions, too.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<61d212c4$0$697$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19799&group=comp.os.vms#19799

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:01:43 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:01 UTC

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/xlicense.html

>> NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>> a current version??
>>
>> You did not run a current VMS version on it.
>>
>> And resource wise it may be a better fit for an older OS
>> anyway.
>
> That is definitely true. It's not that pleasant to run current NetBSD on
> any VAX at the moment. But there are also some problems/issues that
> we're waiting for a new version of gcc to come along, where they have
> been fixed.
>
>> Alternatively you could take up the Linux VAX port. Some
>> work was done many years ago and I believe they got pretty
>> far.
>
> I think it booted to single user mode. Not sure it got much further. Not
> sure anyone would even want to try and pick that up, as Linux is
> constantly changing under the hood, making it a big task to resume
> something abandoned years ago.

Remember that Simon believes using C makes porting easy.

Great opportunity to demonstrate.

:-)

Arne

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt4ua$70s$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19800&group=comp.os.vms#19800

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:20:10 +0100
 by: Johnny Billquist - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:20 UTC

On 2022-01-02 21:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:
>> On 2022-01-02 16:11, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>>> as open source options for VAX.
>>
>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>
> I think you are talking about two different things. Mt. Xinu made a
> number of commercial products. XINU was a unixlike kernel without much
> else; it was not a full "OS distribution" as we would call it today,
> but it was open source. It was an interesting demo for students but
> it was not actually useful for anything.

Oh! My bad then. Hmm, was Xinu the Tannenbaum thing?

Johnny

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt56r$7ge$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19801&group=comp.os.vms#19801

From: bqt...@softjar.se (Johnny Billquist)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:24:42 +0100
 by: Johnny Billquist - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:24 UTC

On 2022-01-02 22:01, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/2/2022 1:36 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>>> as open source options for VAX.
>>
>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>
> https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/xlicense.html

My bad. Xinu and Mt. Xinu are apparently two different things. Sorry for
the noise.

>>> NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>>> a current version??
>>>
>>> You did not run a current VMS version on it.
>>>
>>> And resource wise it may be a better fit for an older OS
>>> anyway.
>>
>> That is definitely true. It's not that pleasant to run current NetBSD
>> on any VAX at the moment. But there are also some problems/issues that
>> we're waiting for a new version of gcc to come along, where they have
>> been fixed.
>>
>>> Alternatively you could take up the Linux VAX port. Some
>>> work was done many years ago and I believe they got pretty
>>> far.
>>
>> I think it booted to single user mode. Not sure it got much further.
>> Not sure anyone would even want to try and pick that up, as Linux is
>> constantly changing under the hood, making it a big task to resume
>> something abandoned years ago.
>
> Remember that Simon believes using C makes porting easy.
>
> Great opportunity to demonstrate.
>
> :-)

Well, this has close to nothing to do with C.
If the API is changed, it's a headache.
And porting operating systems requires a lot of code to deal with the
specifics of the hardware, which is inherently not that portable.

And thus - if you have code that deals with the hardware, but which is
using an API that no longer exists, you need to either rewrite all the
code that deals with the hardware, or rewrite all the code that makes
use of the API to the rest of the OS, which might also force changes in
code that deals with the hardware.

Makes no difference which language you are working in, and no matter how
easy a language would be for porting, the problem here don't change.

All that said, I actually do believe that C is easier to port than
Macro-32. :-)

Johnny

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<61d21929$0$695$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19802&group=comp.os.vms#19802

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:29:12 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:29 UTC

On 1/2/2022 4:20 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-02 21:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist  <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:

>>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>>
>> I think you are talking about two different things.  Mt. Xinu made a
>> number of commercial products.  XINU was a unixlike kernel without much
>> else; it was not a full "OS distribution" as we would call it today,
>> but it was open source.  It was an interesting demo for students but
>> it was not actually useful for anything.
>
> Oh! My bad then. Hmm, was Xinu the Tannenbaum thing?

No. That is Minix.

Arne

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<61d21a24$0$695$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19803&group=comp.os.vms#19803

Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:33:17 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:33 UTC

On 1/2/2022 4:24 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-02 22:01, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it booted to single user mode. Not sure it got much further.
>>> Not sure anyone would even want to try and pick that up, as Linux is
>>> constantly changing under the hood, making it a big task to resume
>>> something abandoned years ago.
>>
>> Remember that Simon believes using C makes porting easy.
>>
>> Great opportunity to demonstrate.
>>
>> :-)
>
> Well, this has close to nothing to do with C.
> If the API is changed, it's a headache.
> And porting operating systems requires a lot of code to deal with the
> specifics of the hardware, which is inherently not that portable.
>
> And thus - if you have code that deals with the hardware, but which is
> using an API that no longer exists, you need to either rewrite all the
> code that deals with the hardware, or rewrite all the code that makes
> use of the API to the rest of the OS, which might also force changes in
> code that deals with the hardware.
>
> Makes no difference which language you are working in, and no matter how
> easy a language would be for porting, the problem here don't change.

If it was easy then it would already have been done.

:-)

> All that said, I actually do believe that C is easier to port than
> Macro-32. :-)

I agree.

Arne

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3el1jFdr0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19805&group=comp.os.vms#19805

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:50:43 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:50 UTC

On 1/2/22 1:36 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-02 16:11, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 1/2/2022 3:39 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>>> Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
>>> other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.
>>>
>>> The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
>>> a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).
>>>
>>> OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
>>> experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?
>>>
>>> If so, do you have any links to them ?
>>
>> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>> as open source options for VAX.
>
> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...

Mt. Xinu and Xinu are not the same thing. Mt. Xinu is a commercial
version of BSD. Xinu is an OS developed by Doug Comer.

bill

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3el3iFdr0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19806&group=comp.os.vms#19806

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:51:46 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:51 UTC

On 1/2/22 4:20 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-02 21:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist  <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:

>>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>>
>> I think you are talking about two different things.  Mt. Xinu made a
>> number of commercial products.  XINU was a unixlike kernel without much
>> else; it was not a full "OS distribution" as we would call it today,
>> but it was open source.  It was an interesting demo for students but
>> it was not actually useful for anything.
>
> Oh! My bad then. Hmm, was Xinu the Tannenbaum thing?

No, the was Minix and I don;t believe it was ever ported to the VAX.

bill

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3el7jFdr0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19807&group=comp.os.vms#19807

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 16:53:55 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:53 UTC

On 1/2/22 4:01 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/2/2022 1:36 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>>> Wikipedia lists BSD 4.3, NetBSD, OpenBSD and something called Xinu
>>> as open source options for VAX.
>>
>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>
> https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/xlicense.html
>
>>> NetBSD may be the only one with current support. But do you need to run
>>> a current version??
>>>
>>> You did not run a current VMS version on it.
>>>
>>> And resource wise it may be a better fit for an older OS
>>> anyway.
>>
>> That is definitely true. It's not that pleasant to run current NetBSD
>> on any VAX at the moment. But there are also some problems/issues that
>> we're waiting for a new version of gcc to come along, where they have
>> been fixed.
>>
>>> Alternatively you could take up the Linux VAX port. Some
>>> work was done many years ago and I believe they got pretty
>>> far.
>>
>> I think it booted to single user mode. Not sure it got much further.
>> Not sure anyone would even want to try and pick that up, as Linux is
>> constantly changing under the hood, making it a big task to resume
>> something abandoned years ago.
>
> Remember that Simon believes using C makes porting easy.
>
> Great opportunity to demonstrate.

Sadly, language has little to do with it. Too much of the
DEC stuff is still proprietary and trade secret locked. Last
I heard that was the reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever
had a functioning X11.

bill

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt89f$m60$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19808&group=comp.os.vms#19808

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 22:17:19 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:17 UTC

Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:
>On 2022-01-02 21:23, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:

>>> As far as I know Mt. Xinu (read it backwards? ;-) ) wasn't free. I ran
>>> it on an 8650 for a while. I think I still know where the manuals are,
>>> but I'm unsure if I know where the tapes are...
>>
>> I think you are talking about two different things. Mt. Xinu made a
>> number of commercial products. XINU was a unixlike kernel without much
>> else; it was not a full "OS distribution" as we would call it today,
>> but it was open source. It was an interesting demo for students but
>> it was not actually useful for anything.
>
>Oh! My bad then. Hmm, was Xinu the Tannenbaum thing?

No, that was Minix. Minix was actually more complete and useful than XINU.
--scott

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<sqt8eg$r47$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19809&group=comp.os.vms#19809

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 2 Jan 2022 22:20:00 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:20 UTC

Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sadly, language has little to do with it. Too much of the
>DEC stuff is still proprietary and trade secret locked. Last
>I heard that was the reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever
>had a functioning X11.

Ever had a functioning X11 _server_. The clients work just fine,
it's just that the DEC framebuffers are nontrivial to develop a
display server for given the available documentation.
--scott

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3epk5F18j1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19810&group=comp.os.vms#19810

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:08:53 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 23:08 UTC

On 1/2/22 5:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sadly, language has little to do with it. Too much of the
>> DEC stuff is still proprietary and trade secret locked. Last
>> I heard that was the reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever
>> had a functioning X11.
>
> Ever had a functioning X11 _server_. The clients work just fine,
> it's just that the DEC framebuffers are nontrivial to develop a
> display server for given the available documentation.

That was my point exactly. Information on the DEC video hardware
is not readily available and thus no X-server for the VAX. I
have a bunch of VAXServer-3100's. Not much point in putting one
on my desk if I have to put something else on my desk to view
the output from the VS3100.

bill

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3ftjdFpu04U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19815&group=comp.os.vms#19815

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 3 Jan 2022 09:22:53 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:22 UTC

On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:53:55 -0500, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> Sadly, language has little to do with it. Too much of the DEC stuff is
> still proprietary and trade secret locked. Last I heard that was the
> reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever had a functioning X11.

I find that hard to believe. I am using X11 on FreeBSD right now, and the
projects overlap quite a bit.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<j3g22gFpu04U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19818&group=comp.os.vms#19818

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: 3 Jan 2022 10:39:12 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:39 UTC

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 09:22:53 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 16:53:55 -0500, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>
>> Sadly, language has little to do with it. Too much of the DEC stuff
>> is still proprietary and trade secret locked. Last I heard that was
>> the reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever had a functioning X11.
>
> I find that hard to believe. I am using X11 on FreeBSD right now, and
> the projects overlap quite a bit.

Ah, I presume you mean VAX!

Will take a look...

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<squjtt$nv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19819&group=comp.os.vms#19819

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:42:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:42 UTC

On 2022-01-02, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> No, that was Minix. Minix was actually more complete and useful than XINU.

Well, Intel certainly thinks it was useful. :-)

Simon.

Re: Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

<squk75$nv4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19820&group=comp.os.vms#19820

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:47:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:47 UTC

On 2022-01-02, Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se> wrote:

> That is definitely true. It's not that pleasant to run current NetBSD on
> any VAX at the moment. But there are also some problems/issues that
> we're waiting for a new version of gcc to come along, where they have
> been fixed.

Generating the ssh server keys in NetBSD running under simh was
certainly "interesting". :-) I left it running overnight and it
was done in the morning so I don't know how long that actually took. :-)

Regarding gcc, I notice there were discussions about removing VAX
support from gcc and the subsequent bounty to fix the immediate
issues to stop that from happening.

Are those the issues you were talking about ?

Simon.