Heisenberg may have slept here...

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

SubjectAuthor
* slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
+* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsmaus
|+- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
|`* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
| `* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsMarco Moock
|  `- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
+* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsJohn Forkosh
|+* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsmaus
||`- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsJohn Forkosh
|`* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsS. One
| `- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsJohn Forkosh
+* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsbad sector
|`- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK. Venken
+* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsHenrik Carlqvist
|`* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsJim Diamond
| +- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK. Venken
| `- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK. Venken
`* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
 `* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsPetri Kaukasoina
  `* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK Venken
   `* Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsmaus
    `- Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangsK. Venken

1
slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uebm83$28vrm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1982&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1982

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: slackware 15.0 installation hangs
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:30:58 +0200
 by: K Venken - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 08:30 UTC

I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages

ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
..

After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
not respond.

Unfortunately, there is no other indication.

I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
installation. What could have gone wrong?

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<slrnugiqi0.1nps.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1983&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1983

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs
Date: 19 Sep 2023 09:30:40 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:30 UTC

On 2023-09-19, K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>
> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
> .
>
> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
> not respond.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>
> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
> installation. What could have gone wrong?

Faulty installation media, probably. Make sure that everyting is removed
from the installation media before writing to it.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the influencers, hung, drawn and cut up is more than they deserve.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<fcf84bbb-8a1e-3336-4d3f-594db13240d6@domain.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1984&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1984

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:56:09 +0200
 by: K Venken - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 10:56 UTC

maus wrote:
> On 2023-09-19, K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>
>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>> .
>>
>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>
>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>>

> Faulty installation media, probably. Make sure that everyting is removed
> from the installation media before writing to it.

I would say no as I used the same USB to successfully install another
computer. But it is worth to give it a try and first create a new one.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uebuol$2aen9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1985&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1985

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:56:21 +0200

maus wrote:
> On 2023-09-19, K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>
>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>> .
>>
>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>
>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>>

> Faulty installation media, probably. Make sure that everyting is removed
> from the installation media before writing to it.

I would say no as I used the same USB to successfully install another
computer. But it is worth to give it a try and first create a new one.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uec3p3$2bb99$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1986&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1986

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:21:55 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:21 UTC

Am 19.09.2023 um 12:56:21 Uhr schrieb K Venken:

> I would say no as I used the same USB to successfully install another
> computer. But it is worth to give it a try and first create a new one.

Please show your boot options. Are the kernel messages hidden (option
quiet)?

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uec8jo$2cap3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1987&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1987

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:44:23 +0200
 by: K Venken - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:44 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 19.09.2023 um 12:56:21 Uhr schrieb K Venken:
>
>> I would say no as I used the same USB to successfully install another
>> computer. But it is worth to give it a try and first create a new one.
>
> Please show your boot options. Are the kernel messages hidden (option
> quiet)?

I recreated the installation medium on another USB withthe same result.

I didn't specify any boot options myself, I just took it as slackware
configured it. It don't get any kernel messages whatsoever, just the two
lines. after that nothing happens.

/boot/efi/elilo.conf contains:

chooser=simple
delay=1
timeout=1
# image=vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
initrd=initrd.gz
read-only
append="root=/dev/nvme0n1p6 vga=normal ro"

FWW.:
vmlinuz is a file being 7495840 bytes
initrd.gz is a file being 9586260 bytes

I have the feeling something is wrong with the initrd.gz as this is the
last message. Could a module be missing, like i9-13th gen support?

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<ueca4i$5vr$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1988&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1988

From: fork...@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:10:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:10 UTC

K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>
> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
> .
>
> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
> not respond.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>
> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
> installation. What could have gone wrong?

I had similar problems after rsync'ing everything from
http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
and then using ...usb-and-pxe-installers/usbimg2disk.sh
to create a bootable usb install stick. Nothing I tried
with that worked...

....But I accidentally solved the problem by downloading
slackware live from https://download.liveslak.org/
and booting from that. It booted fine, and then its
"Install Slackware" button let me install slackware
without any problem whatsoever. Not exactly what I'd
wanted to do, but at least it worked.

Don't know whether or not it will work for you.
I notice you were booting with elilo. I'd subsequently
guessed my problem was that usbimg2disk.sh had created
a boot stick with elilo expecting a uefi-formatted disk,
whereas I was installing on a plain old fdisk-formatted
mbr-type disk. But I'm not sure whether or not that was
actually the problem. Anyway, if that's what you're
trying to do, then maybe it's more likely we're
experiencing the same problem.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<slrnugjjeq.24mo.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1989&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1989

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 19 Sep 2023 16:35:38 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:35 UTC

On 2023-09-19, John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>
>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>> .
>>
>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>
>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>
> I had similar problems after rsync'ing everything from
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
> and then using ...usb-and-pxe-installers/usbimg2disk.sh
> to create a bootable usb install stick. Nothing I tried
> with that worked...
>
> ...But I accidentally solved the problem by downloading
> slackware live from https://download.liveslak.org/
> and booting from that. It booted fine, and then its
> "Install Slackware" button let me install slackware
> without any problem whatsoever. Not exactly what I'd
> wanted to do, but at least it worked.
>
> Don't know whether or not it will work for you.
> I notice you were booting with elilo. I'd subsequently
> guessed my problem was that usbimg2disk.sh had created
> a boot stick with elilo expecting a uefi-formatted disk,
> whereas I was installing on a plain old fdisk-formatted
> mbr-type disk. But I'm not sure whether or not that was
> actually the problem. Anyway, if that's what you're
> trying to do, then maybe it's more likely we're
> experiencing the same problem.

I did that once, but it created a system which used a kde-theme.
installing a basesystem like the last official release (15.0?) got me
what I wanted, a systemd free system with basic commands, which is what
I wanted. The mouse is a curse on humanity.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the influencers, hung, drawn and cut up is more than they deserve.
Meantime, back at the Estancia, etc.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uecn7k$jdc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1990&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1990

From: fork...@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:53:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:53 UTC

maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
> On 2023-09-19, John Forkosh <forkosh@panix.com> wrote:
>> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>>
>>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>>> .
>>>
>>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>>> not respond.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>>
>>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>>
>> I had similar problems after rsync'ing everything from
>> http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
>> and then using ...usb-and-pxe-installers/usbimg2disk.sh
>> to create a bootable usb install stick. Nothing I tried
>> with that worked...
>>
>> ...But I accidentally solved the problem by downloading
>> slackware live from https://download.liveslak.org/
>> and booting from that. It booted fine, and then its
>> "Install Slackware" button let me install slackware
>> without any problem whatsoever. Not exactly what I'd
>> wanted to do, but at least it worked.
>>
>> Don't know whether or not it will work for you.
>> I notice you were booting with elilo. I'd subsequently
>> guessed my problem was that usbimg2disk.sh had created
>> a boot stick with elilo expecting a uefi-formatted disk,
>> whereas I was installing on a plain old fdisk-formatted
>> mbr-type disk. But I'm not sure whether or not that was
>> actually the problem. Anyway, if that's what you're
>> trying to do, then maybe it's more likely we're
>> experiencing the same problem.
>

> I did that once, but it created a system which used a kde-theme.
> installing a basesystem like the last official release (15.0?) got me
> what I wanted, a systemd free system with basic commands, which is what
> I wanted. The mouse is a curse on humanity.

Yeah, it starts up with kde. But that's no problem at all to fix.
cd /etc/X11/xinit/ and change the xinitrc symlink to whatever you
prefer. And edit /etc/inittab to change the default runlevel to 3,
so it doesn't start in X at all. Also, while you're at it, if you
want more than two virtual terminals, uncomment the C3,C4,C5,C6
lines in inittab.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uee4jn$2qlt3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1991&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1991

From: some....@domain.invalid (S. One)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:48:22 +0200
 by: S. One - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:48 UTC

John Forkosh wrote:
> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>
>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>> .
>>
>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>
>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>
> I had similar problems after rsync'ing everything from
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
> and then using ...usb-and-pxe-installers/usbimg2disk.sh
> to create a bootable usb install stick. Nothing I tried
> with that worked...
>
> ...But I accidentally solved the problem by downloading
> slackware live from https://download.liveslak.org/
> and booting from that. It booted fine, and then its
> "Install Slackware" button let me install slackware
> without any problem whatsoever. Not exactly what I'd
> wanted to do, but at least it worked.
>
> Don't know whether or not it will work for you.
> I notice you were booting with elilo. I'd subsequently
> guessed my problem was that usbimg2disk.sh had created
> a boot stick with elilo expecting a uefi-formatted disk,
> whereas I was installing on a plain old fdisk-formatted
> mbr-type disk. But I'm not sure whether or not that was
> actually the problem. Anyway, if that's what you're
> trying to do, then maybe it's more likely we're
> experiencing the same problem.

So far I tested now with an older live version I had hanging around. It
started except for X, but at least it started. Installing a life version
is not what I had in mind. I also tried installing another Linux and
everything worked "out of the box". Hardware is fine. So this would
suggest that I (or slackware) am missing something when installing.

With this in mind. It is the first time I install directly on an NVME. I
looked it up, but for NVME you need a recent version and UEFI must be
supported. lilo will not work. elilo should. or grub, but I am
preferring not to go there. I have to take a look if I can add a regular
disk to the system and install directly on that one. If that would work,
it more precisely points to the handling on NVME during boot in slackware.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uee94a$o74$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1992&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1992

From: fork...@panix.com (John Forkosh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:05:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Forkosh - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:05 UTC

S. One <some.one@domain.invalid> wrote:
> John Forkosh wrote:
>> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
>>> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
>>> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>>
>>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>>> .
>>>
>>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>>> not respond.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>>
>>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>>
>> I had similar problems after rsync'ing everything from
>> http://mirrors.kernel.org/slackware/slackware64-current/
>> and then using ...usb-and-pxe-installers/usbimg2disk.sh
>> to create a bootable usb install stick. Nothing I tried
>> with that worked...
>>
>> ...But I accidentally solved the problem by downloading
>> slackware live from https://download.liveslak.org/
>> and booting from that. It booted fine, and then its
>> "Install Slackware" button let me install slackware
>> without any problem whatsoever. Not exactly what I'd
>> wanted to do, but at least it worked.
>>
>> Don't know whether or not it will work for you.
>> I notice you were booting with elilo. I'd subsequently
>> guessed my problem was that usbimg2disk.sh had created
>> a boot stick with elilo expecting a uefi-formatted disk,
>> whereas I was installing on a plain old fdisk-formatted
>> mbr-type disk. But I'm not sure whether or not that was
>> actually the problem. Anyway, if that's what you're
>> trying to do, then maybe it's more likely we're
>> experiencing the same problem.
>
> So far I tested now with an older live version I had hanging around. It
> started except for X, but at least it started. Installing a life version
> is not what I had in mind. I also tried installing another Linux and
> everything worked "out of the box".

That happened with me, too. After trying and trying, I gave up on
installing slackware, and just for the heck of it tried ubuntu.
Bingo! That installed right away. So then I googled around for
a more slackware-like distro and found salix. On the salix page
I noticed they have a "live" version, and I then recalled there's
also a slack-live. And that's how I stumbled onto the solution
that worked for me...

> Hardware is fine. So this would suggest that I (or slackware)
> am missing something when installing.

....So I wouldn't be too sure you're "missing something".
But, like I said, I'm not really sure what's going on.
I've been installing slackware since 1994, originally
from floppies, and never had this kind of problem before.

> With this in mind. It is the first time I install directly on an NVME. I
> looked it up, but for NVME you need a recent version and UEFI must be
> supported. lilo will not work. elilo should. or grub, but I am
> preferring not to go there. I have to take a look if I can add a regular
> disk to the system and install directly on that one. If that would work,
> it more precisely points to the handling on NVME during boot in slackware.

Thanks for the additional info. I wasn't aware of that.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<AJGcnaTma40uSJf4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1993&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1993

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:21:23 -0400
From: forge...@invalid.gov (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
 by: bad sector - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:21 UTC

On 9/19/23 04:30, K Venken wrote:
> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>
> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
> .
>
> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
> not respond.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>
> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
> installation. What could have gone wrong?

(using grub) in my experience whenever push came to shove
and even manual commands failed I just booted with the
SuperGrub frisby and (thus far) it always booted what was
bootable. Can't say if it works with LiLo tho, maybe some
other body has tried it.

https://www.supergrubdisk.org/

--
Wednesdays are Slackware days: Slackware 15.0,Kernel=5.15.117
on x86_64,DM=Unknown,DE=XFCE,ST=tty,grub2, GPT, BIOS-boot

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uegmki$3cg4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1998&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#1998

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 06:08:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 06:08 UTC

> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
> not respond.

The quick and easy thing to test would be to try if it boots with a huge
kernel without any initrd.gz. If that doesn't help, it could be that
elilo does not cut the mustard with your specific UEFI chipset. If so,
you will need to configure grub or some other boot loader instead.

There are some recent UEFI chipsets that doesn't work with lilo or elilo
and none of those boot loaders are no longer maintained. For that reason,
in Slackware current (which one day probably will become Slackware 15.1
or Slackware 16.0) lilo and elilo as default boot loaders has been
replaced by grub.

At https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-install-
slackware-on-hp-laptops-envy-and-possibly-others-4175728654/ there is a
description on how to configure grub at a new install.

If you, like me, find grub a bit awkward, there are also other boot
loaders like syslinux/extlinux or limine. I have successfully used
syslinux to boot Slackware on uefi systems with ext4 file systems,
however I then used a newer version of syslinux than the one included in
Slackware. Also syslinux has not been updated for many years, I can't say
for sure if it works with those problematic chipsets. Limine is a boot
loader that is still maintained and is available as a slackbuild at
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/system/limine/?search=limine

regards Henrik

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uehg9n$3hrsg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2000&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2000

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:26:15 +0200
 by: K Venken - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:26 UTC

K Venken wrote:
> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer with
> an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run fine
> until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>
> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
> .
>
> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
> not respond.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>
> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
> installation. What could have gone wrong?

Finally I see some light - literally.

I went out to get a regular disk, added it, disabled the NVME in the
BIOS (or should I better say UEFI) and redid the slackware 15
installation. Guess what everything exactly the same. Nothing shown
after the two messages. Question: is it not NVME related?

BUT

I now noted that that the disk led was flashing as if it was booting
normally, which puzzled me. So I installed Debian 12.1. Guess what. The
first time ever I saw a single message. It was from nouveau: 'unknown
chipset' and then everything hangs. This made me thinking. I had the the
latest Nvidia RTX4090 and there might be a problem with this card and
slackware drivers?

So I went for another option. I booted with the slackware installation
USB. Created a regular user entry and password (with the slackware
installation disk) and after rebooting -still no lights- I tried to
login remotely. Yeahp! All normal! Next I installed nouveau-blacklist
from /extra and the NVidia drivers from SBO (still remotely). After
that, crossed my fingers and rebooted. Who knows.

Still no lights nothing after the two messages. But after logging in
remotely and setting init 4, after a while I saw KDM login screen.
Finally some light. So far, the console stays blank, but once in
graphics, things work normally.

NEXT

I need to redo this on the NVME disk to check if the installation works
as well with this configuration.

Conclusion: Console mode does not come up when using this configuration
- perhaps none of the NVIDIA? RTX? version boards with nouveau driver.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<slrnugoqr6.smg.JimDiamond@x360.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2001&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2001

From: JimDiam...@jdvb.ca (Jim Diamond)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:12:21 -0300
 by: Jim Diamond - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:12 UTC

On 2023-09-21 at 03:08 ADT, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:

>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>
> The quick and easy thing to test would be to try if it boots with a huge
> kernel without any initrd.gz. If that doesn't help, it could be that
> elilo does not cut the mustard with your specific UEFI chipset. If so,
> you will need to configure grub or some other boot loader instead.
>
> There are some recent UEFI chipsets that doesn't work with lilo or elilo
> and none of those boot loaders are no longer maintained. For that reason,
> in Slackware current (which one day probably will become Slackware 15.1
> or Slackware 16.0) lilo and elilo as default boot loaders has been
> replaced by grub.
>
> At https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-install-
> slackware-on-hp-laptops-envy-and-possibly-others-4175728654/ there is a
> description on how to configure grub at a new install.
>
> If you, like me, find grub a bit awkward, there are also other boot
> loaders like syslinux/extlinux or limine.

<snip>

Also consider refind, which is what I have been using on UEFI computers
since the first time I got one.

There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but that is probably also the
case for every other boot loader you might consider.

Jim

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uehvm9$3kot1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2003&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2003

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K. Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 19:48:55 +0200
 by: K. Venken - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:48 UTC

Jim Diamond wrote:
> On 2023-09-21 at 03:08 ADT, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>>> not respond.
>>
>> The quick and easy thing to test would be to try if it boots with a huge
>> kernel without any initrd.gz. If that doesn't help, it could be that
>> elilo does not cut the mustard with your specific UEFI chipset. If so,
>> you will need to configure grub or some other boot loader instead.
>>
>> There are some recent UEFI chipsets that doesn't work with lilo or elilo
>> and none of those boot loaders are no longer maintained. For that reason,
>> in Slackware current (which one day probably will become Slackware 15.1
>> or Slackware 16.0) lilo and elilo as default boot loaders has been
>> replaced by grub.
>>
>> At https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-install-
>> slackware-on-hp-laptops-envy-and-possibly-others-4175728654/ there is a
>> description on how to configure grub at a new install.
>>
>> If you, like me, find grub a bit awkward, there are also other boot
>> loaders like syslinux/extlinux or limine.
>
> <snip>
>
> Also consider refind, which is what I have been using on UEFI computers
> since the first time I got one.
>
> There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but that is probably also the
> case for every other boot loader you might consider.
>
> Jim

Indeed. I have seen problems with lilo and even grub. I was always
fascinated by the fact that the installation media (using syslinux if I
remember) always seemed to have less problems booting then the final
installed linux. I have seen this with different linux versions and it
was one of the reasons I ended up with slackware (then 13.37). It always
went smooth and as far as I could see, this was because it didn't assume
anything about graphics (see my other post). Personally I would like to
stick to what slackware offers out of the box. But there may be edge
cases for now. The UEFI, NVME case needs some attention to get a better
understanding. I have so far a working system, but several questions
still remain.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uek0bb$7bsr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2005&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2005

From: kaukasoi...@sci.fi (Petri Kaukasoina)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:12:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Petri Kaukasoina - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:12 UTC

K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:

>from nouveau: 'unknown chipset' and then everything hangs.

>the latest Nvidia RTX4090 and there might be a problem with this card and
>slackware drivers?

>Conclusion: Console mode does not come up when using this configuration
>- perhaps none of the NVIDIA? RTX? version boards with nouveau driver.

A similar problem with RTX 4050 was solved by installing Slackware -current:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/slack-15-new-install-fail-likeslak-fails-to-startx-4175728919/

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uek23b$7vlu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2006&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2006

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:42:18 +0200
 by: K Venken - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:42 UTC

Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>>from nouveau: 'unknown chipset' and then everything hangs.
>
>> the latest Nvidia RTX4090 and there might be a problem with this card and
>> slackware drivers?
>
>> Conclusion: Console mode does not come up when using this configuration
>> - perhaps none of the NVIDIA? RTX? version boards with nouveau driver.
>
> A similar problem with RTX 4050 was solved by installing Slackware -current:
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/slack-15-new-install-fail-likeslak-fails-to-startx-4175728919/

Indeed, this seems to be the same problem. Good to know that the next
version of slackware fixes this.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<slrnugr8hk.giv.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2007&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2007

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 22 Sep 2023 14:18:28 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:18 UTC

On 2023-09-22, K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
>> K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>from nouveau: 'unknown chipset' and then everything hangs.
>>
>>> the latest Nvidia RTX4090 and there might be a problem with this card and
>>> slackware drivers?
>>
>>> Conclusion: Console mode does not come up when using this configuration
>>> - perhaps none of the NVIDIA? RTX? version boards with nouveau driver.
>>
>> A similar problem with RTX 4050 was solved by installing Slackware -current:
>>
>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/slack-15-new-install-fail-likeslak-fails-to-startx-4175728919/
>>

> Indeed, this seems to be the same problem. Good to know that the next
> version of slackware fixes this.

Next version?. Tell us more.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the influencers, hung, drawn and cut up is more than they deserve.
Meantime, back at the Estancia, etc.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uem9ds$nqji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2010&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2010

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K. Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:59:40 +0200
 by: K. Venken - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:59 UTC

maus wrote:
> On 2023-09-22, K Venken <karel.venken@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

>>> A similar problem with RTX 4050 was solved by installing Slackware -current:
>>>
>>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/slack-15-new-install-fail-likeslak-fails-to-startx-4175728919/
>>>

>> Indeed, this seems to be the same problem. Good to know that the next
>> version of slackware fixes this.
>
> Next version?. Tell us more.

Deduction, if it is fixed in current it ends up in the next version, but
only P. knows when.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uemabd$nvso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2011&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2011

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K. Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:15:24 +0200
 by: K. Venken - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:15 UTC

Jim Diamond wrote:
> On 2023-09-21 at 03:08 ADT, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>>> not respond.
>>
>> The quick and easy thing to test would be to try if it boots with a huge
>> kernel without any initrd.gz. If that doesn't help, it could be that
>> elilo does not cut the mustard with your specific UEFI chipset. If so,
>> you will need to configure grub or some other boot loader instead.
>>
>> There are some recent UEFI chipsets that doesn't work with lilo or elilo
>> and none of those boot loaders are no longer maintained. For that reason,
>> in Slackware current (which one day probably will become Slackware 15.1
>> or Slackware 16.0) lilo and elilo as default boot loaders has been
>> replaced by grub.
>>
>> At https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-install-
>> slackware-on-hp-laptops-envy-and-possibly-others-4175728654/ there is a
>> description on how to configure grub at a new install.
>>
>> If you, like me, find grub a bit awkward, there are also other boot
>> loaders like syslinux/extlinux or limine.
>
> <snip>
>
> Also consider refind, which is what I have been using on UEFI computers
> since the first time I got one.
>
> There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but that is probably also the
> case for every other boot loader you might consider.
>
> Jim

Thanks for the tip. I always avoided dual boot systems so the simplicity
of lilo and later elilo were what I needed. In the end it just needed to
find the OS and start it. (Actually, loadlin was even more fun)

I started delving into GRUB and REFIND. I found this as comparison:

"REFInd is really good with automatically with finding your operating
systems, leaving all that manual configuration as totally optional."

(from: https://www.slant.co/versus/8093/13256/~grub2_vs_refind)

The grub manual is like 200 pages (printed in pdf, not too small font)
which looks like overkill for what I need. So it is still not my
preference. Of course, if slackware makes it as easy as it did with lilo
(elilo) I can live with it.

Re: slackware 15.0 installation hangs

<uemb18$o324$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2012&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2012

From: karel.ve...@domain.invalid (K. Venken)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:27:03 +0200
 by: K. Venken - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:27 UTC

bad sector wrote:
> On 9/19/23 04:30, K Venken wrote:
>> I have been trying to install slackware 15.0 on a new Dell computer
>> with an i9-13900K CPU and a 1 TB nvme as disk. Everything seems to run
>> fine until the point that the system reboots. It hangs with the messages
>>
>> ELILO v13.6 for EFI/x86_64
>> .
>>
>> After that everything is frozen. Even the power button or numlock does
>> not respond.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there is no other indication.
>>
>> I have also tried to boot from the installation USB and tried to start
>> the installed slackware on the hardisk but it hangs at the same
>> location. So it seems that there is something missing from the
>> installation. What could have gone wrong?
>

> (using grub) in my experience whenever push came to shove
> and even manual commands failed I just booted with the
> SuperGrub frisby and (thus far) it always booted what was
> bootable. Can't say if it works with LiLo tho, maybe some
> other body has tried it.
>
> https://www.supergrubdisk.org/

For fixing boot and partition problems I have been using ultimatebootcd
(https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and knoppix
(https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) in the past. Today I am
relying more on the slackware installation medium itself but it lacks a
few tools for repairing - so I still need some live version. With
current hard disk sizes I even tried to install a 2nd slackware on a
small repair partition but when you destroy your partition it won't help
and you still need sometimes a live version.