6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

SubjectAuthor
* BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableDave
`* Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableChris Craig
 +* Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableMartin
 |`* Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableDave
 | `- Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableMartin
 +* Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableTheo
 |`- Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableTheo
 +- Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableChris Craig
 `- Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the CableBrian Howlett

1
BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=142&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#142

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 07:15:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 07:15 UTC

Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the links, most
useful.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<087d899159.ChrisCraig@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=192&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#192

From: chr...@chriscraig.co.uk (Chris Craig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:52:41 GMT
 by: Chris Craig - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:52 UTC

In message <598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the links, most
> useful.

> Dave

Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use "wall plugs"
like Netgear?

My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in use) -
what's that all about.

My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say about my
connection

Chris

chris@chriscraig.co.uk
ARMX6 RISC OS 5.27

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<5991935d44News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=194&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#194

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 19:40:33 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 19:40 UTC

In article <087d899159.ChrisCraig@btinternet.com>,
Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the
> > links, most useful.

> > Dave

> Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use "wall
> plugs" like Netgear?

You will have to be more specific.
But I suspect a wired connection would be better and more reliable.
Sime devices are 'wifi extenders' which tend to halve the speed.
Some transmit ethernet over the mains, which may work.
Whatever your internet speed is, and likk needs to be more than that,
and duplex (ie work both ways simultaneously).

> My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in
> use) - what's that all about.
No idea.

> My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say about my
> connection

It is probably a FTTC VDSL connection - possibly a 80mbis/s down and
20MB/s down link, but limited by the quality (length) of the copper
line from the cabinet, and your modem.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<59919a8460dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=199&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#199

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:58:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:58 UTC

In article <5991935d44News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <087d899159.ChrisCraig@btinternet.com>,
> Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>
> > Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the
> > > links, most useful.

> > > Dave

> > Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use "wall
> > plugs" like Netgear?

> You will have to be more specific.
> But I suspect a wired connection would be better and more reliable.
> Sime devices are 'wifi extenders' which tend to halve the speed.
> Some transmit ethernet over the mains, which may work.
> Whatever your internet speed is, and likk needs to be more than that,
> and duplex (ie work both ways simultaneously).

> > My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in
> > use) - what's that all about.
> No idea.

> > My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say about my
> > connection

> It is probably a FTTC VDSL connection - possibly a 80mbis/s down and
> 20MB/s down link, but limited by the quality (length) of the copper
> line from the cabinet, and your modem.

I think Tim Hill noted something about this recently...

<Quote>
"My internet router ended up in the kitchen where my cable enters and it's
connected to a homeplug; the gigabit switch in my study is connected to
another."

</Quote>

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<aPf*XkfAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=200&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#200

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: 26 Nov 2021 20:59:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:59 UTC

Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the links, most
> > useful.
>
> > Dave
>
> Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use "wall plugs"
> like Netgear?

It's ethernet, so in theory you can use homeplugs. However it's point to
point ethernet, because the signal needs to go through a router before you
distribute it to your computers. You can set homeplugs to act as that point
to point link, but just so you're aware you can't hook in other computers,
unless you have a second homeplug to reinject after the router (ie running
two separate homeplug networks).

Also be aware that homeplugs are unlikely to allow you the full FTTP
bandwidth, very much depending on your home wiring setup. Doubly so if
you're using that link for connections both before and after your router.

I'd recommend running an ethernet wire if you can, or there is also MoCA if
you have good quality TV cabling available (I got gigabit for FTTP using
this).

> My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in use) -
> what's that all about.

Possibly 'P' = pulse dialling, 'T' = tone dialling. I'm not sure what 'E'
and 'TB' are.

> My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say about my
> connection

Sounds like you're on FTTC (aka VDSL).

Theo

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<aPf*WwfAy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=201&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#201

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: 26 Nov 2021 21:50:56 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:50 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:
> > My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in use) -
> > what's that all about.
>
> Possibly 'P' = pulse dialling, 'T' = tone dialling. I'm not sure what 'E'
> and 'TB' are.

Ah, I wonder if 'TB' is 'timed break recall' and 'E' is 'earth recall':
https://www.britishtelephones.com/glossary.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_flash

If the phone has a 'recall' button it may affect how it operates, but won't
matter otherwise.

Theo

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<ec61a29159.ChrisCraig@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=202&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#202

From: chr...@chriscraig.co.uk (Chris Craig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:24:35 GMT
 by: Chris Craig - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:24 UTC

In message <087d899159.ChrisCraig@btinternet.com>
Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <598c28ce0fdave@triffid.co.uk>
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

>> Thanks folks for the general notes, and thanks Theo for the links, most
>> useful.

>> Dave

> Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use "wall plugs"
> like Netgear?

> My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in use) -
> what's that all about.

> My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say about my
> connection

> Chris

Frustratingly when I try to post here from my BT address I get the
"error:Failed news posting <NewsHound$NewsDir>.badmarker.8b46799059"

This has been a persistant error for several years. The only solution is
to use a none bt SMTP

--
chris@chriscraig.co.uk
ARMX6 RISC OS 5.27

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<5991a76580News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=203&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#203

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:19:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 23:19 UTC

In article <59919a8460dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5991935d44News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
> Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Is the connection between the ONT an ethernet one, Can I use
> > > "wall plugs" like Netgear?

> > You will have to be more specific. But I suspect a wired
> > connection would be better and more reliable. Sime devices are
> > 'wifi extenders' which tend to halve the speed. Some transmit
> > ethernet over the mains, which may work. Whatever your internet
> > speed is, and likk needs to be more than that, and duplex (ie
> > work both ways simultaneously).

> > > My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in
> > > use) - what's that all about.
> > No idea.

> > > My current Speed is 45.4 down & 15.8 up what does that say
> > > about my connection

> > It is probably a FTTC VDSL connection - possibly a 80mbis/s down
> > and 20MB/s down link, but limited by the quality (length) of the
> > copper line from the cabinet, and your modem.

> I think Tim Hill noted something about this recently...

> <Quote> "My internet router ended up in the kitchen where my cable
> enters and it's connected to a homeplug; the gigabit switch in my
> study is connected to another." </Quote>

Yes, that is common on the LAN side of your network.
But I thought we were talking about the WAN side connection between
the ONT (modem) and the router? This is possibly more critical ... but
modern homeplugs etc may be up to the job.

Note that the term router is often used for a combined modem & router
for ADSL/VDSL, but not for FTTP as the modem is generally the fibre
provider.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: BT and the Copper Wire dump in favour of the Cable

<9dd3b39159.BrianNews@bhowlett.plus.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=204&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#204

From: news-spa...@brianhowlett.me.uk (Brian Howlett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 01:35:07 GMT
 by: Brian Howlett - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 01:35 UTC

On 26 Nov, Chris Craig <chris@chriscraig.co.uk> wrote:

> My old phone has a switch labelled MODE: P-E,T-E & T-TB( T-E in use) -
> what's that all about.

A quick search came up with this -

There are 3 dial mode settings. Tone/Timed break (TB), Tone/Earth (TE) and
Pulse/Earth (P).

Pulse is the old fashioned way of sending a pulse down the line to emulate
a dial when using a push-button phone and I very much doubt any UK
telephone exchanges still use it, BICBW.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
Foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: 1. get a huge block