All extremists should be taken out and shot.

computers / comp.sys.ti / Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's

SubjectAuthor
* Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS'sScott Alfter
+- Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS'sDennis Boone
`* Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS'sBeery
 +- Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS'sDennis Boone
 `- Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BDumas Walker

1
Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's

<fQK8I.286527$2B1.128964@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17&group=comp.sys.ti#17

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ti
Subject: Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:18:35 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:18 UTC

In article <1214545331@f109.n4.z21.fsxnet>,
Beery <Beery@f109.n4.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
>I have heard there is a way to tunnel in, but I have not seen a description
>with enough detail I could follow to configure to permit it.

Perhaps an SSH reverse tunnel would work. Let's say you have a host of some
sort (perhaps a VPS, or maybe even a webhost) at invalid.tld. The host you
want to make accessible opens an SSH connection to invalid.tld and keeps it
open:

ssh -NR 12345:localhost:23 invalid.tld

This will tunnel port 12345 on invalid.tld to port 23 on your firewalled
system. People then telnet to invalid.tld:12345 to connect.

Sometimes the connection might be dropped for inactivity. Restarting it
with an infinite loop in a shell script will minimize downtime.

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's

<cMOdnTYBT8AZN_79nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=18&group=comp.sys.ti#18

Sender: Dennis Boone <drb@yagi.h-net.org>
From: drb...@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis Boone)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ti
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 17:47:32 -0500
 by: Dennis Boone - Tue, 30 Mar 2021 22:47 UTC

> Perhaps an SSH reverse tunnel would work.

There's a tool called autossh that might help automate establishing
and maintaining a tunnel setup using ssh.

De

Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's

<3878166889@f109.n4.z21.fsxnet>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19&group=comp.sys.ti#19

From: Bee...@f109.n4.z21.fsxnet (Beery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ti
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 16:40:25 +1200
 by: Beery - Wed, 31 Mar 2021 04:40 UTC

SA> Perhaps an SSH reverse tunnel would work. Let's say you have a host of
SA> somesort (perhaps a VPS, or maybe even a webhost) at invalid.tld. The
SA> host youwant to make accessible opens an SSH connection to invalid.tld
SA> and keeps itopen:
SA>
SA> ssh -NR 12345:localhost:23 invalid.tld

What I have is a program called Mystic BBS running on Windows 10 I need to
reach from the outside.

Beery

--Beery Miller -- 9640 News BBS -- 9640news.ddns.net:9640 --

Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A BBS's

<YNmdneO5KuzNp_v9nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20&group=comp.sys.ti#20

Sender: Dennis Boone <drb@yagi.h-net.org>
From: drb...@ihatespam.msu.edu (Dennis Boone)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ti
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 16:25:36 -0500
 by: Dennis Boone - Thu, 1 Apr 2021 21:25 UTC

> What I have is a program called Mystic BBS running on Windows 10 I need to
> reach from the outside.

So you still get a tiny vm on one of the hosting services - AWS, Digital
Ocean, etc. Make sure you can ssh into it from home. Arrange for a
hostname for this vm that you can publish for your BBS. Imagine this
is bbs.beery.net.

Then you do one of two things:

1. Use an SSH client on the Windows 10 machine to set up the connection
described in previous messages, although you may do it with mouse clicky
gui behaviors instead of a command line. It sets up a tunnel from the
Windows machine to the vm, and arranges for connections to a port on the
vm to be tunneled through to a specified port on the windows machine.
Specifics vary depending on what SSH client you select.

2. Use a razzpi or similar inside your local network, and use a
modified ssh command there which establishes the tunnel, and connects to
the bbs telnet port on the Windows machine across the room (instead of
to a port on the same machine) when a connection comes in. If the IP
address of the Windows machine is 192.168.1.3 and the bbs listens on
port 23, then the command is going to look something like:

ssh -NR23:192.168.1.3:23 username@bbs.beery.net

You'll either need to create keys so the ssh can happen automatically
(recommended), or type the password each time the tunnel needs to be
started up.

If you've done the keys, you can also use autossh to _keep_ the tunnel
up in the face of occasional network flakies.

client -> vm [tunnel -> win-or-razzpi] -> bbs port

Because you set this tunnel up _outbound_, it doesn't get blocked. And
the vm doesn't have [much] blocking at the cloud host datacenter.

De

Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A B

<617304102@f10.n1.z281.fidonet.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21&group=comp.sys.ti#21

From: Dumas.Wa...@f10.n1.z281.fidonet.org (Dumas Walker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ti
Subject: Re: New TELNET TI-99/4A B
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 14:58:00 +1200
 by: Dumas Walker - Thu, 1 Apr 2021 02:58 UTC

> SA> Perhaps an SSH reverse tunnel would work. Let's say you have a host of
> SA> somesort (perhaps a VPS, or maybe even a webhost) at invalid.tld. The
> SA> host youwant to make accessible opens an SSH connection to invalid.tld
> SA> and keeps itopen:
> SA>
> SA> ssh -NR 12345:localhost:23 invalid.tld

> What I have is a program called Mystic BBS running on Windows 10 I need to
> rea
> from the outside.

I think that is what he was suggesting this for. Your end creates the SSH
connection (outbound) that others connect to in order to get in. That way,
instead of trying to access one of your (blocked) ports, they are accessing
the system from the other "end of the tunnel" that you opened, which should
be outside of the AT&T port blockade.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * SysOp: Gofer in charge of bolts, wires & electricity