From: set...@home.sethhurst.com (seth Hurst)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: brl hierarchy
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 06:55:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: seth Hurst - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 06:55 UTC

Hello I'm proposing a brl.* private hierarchy to advicate for more blind
users in the using of usenet. This would be on a local server for now. But
if anyone has any ideas or wants to peer that would be great. Hoping to
find peers in different countrys for fast speads. That way one does not
always have to connect to the US server.

Re: brl hierarchy

<tetc9a$2iv5i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=news.admin.hierarchies#197

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: Re: brl hierarchy
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:50:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:50 UTC

seth Hurst <seth@home.sethhurst.com> wrote:

>Hello I'm proposing a brl.* private hierarchy to advicate for more blind
>users in the using of usenet. This would be on a local server for now. But
>if anyone has any ideas or wants to peer that would be great. Hoping to
>find peers in different countrys for fast speads. That way one does not
>always have to connect to the US server.

You need to think this through. There's no practical way to have a
private hierachy whose newsgroups appear on various News sites around
the world. I have no idea how you'd enforce that only subscribers that
you have approved would read articles in the newsgroups. Moderation,
obviously, affects posting only and doesn't turn a newsgroup into a
private newsgroup.

A private newsgroup would have to be not distributed beyond one server,
which makes it a set of local newsgroups and not Usenet newsgroups.
Users of the newsgroups would have to authenticate onto that server.
If it's distributed and therefore Usenet, it's not private.

You are proposing an ordinary international hierarchy. Well, you're not
at the proposal stage. You're just thinking about it.

I should mention that various users have commented that they have
communications difficulties but manage to use Usenet. There are blind
and visually impaired. There are hearing impaired. A number of people
have mentioned other disabilities from illness or chronic conditions or
just getting old that can tend to make communication difficult.

But they have figured out how to make newsreaders or necessary computer
interfaces work for them.

I'm not sure what you can do within discussion on a newsgroup that
advocates for someone not on Usenet to use Usenet.

Re: brl hierarchy

<pan$29ac4$e61b0be0$8632aa6d$de757481@home.sethhurst.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=news.admin.hierarchies#198

From: set...@home.sethhurst.com (seth Hurst)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:48:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: seth Hurst - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 13:48 UTC

On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:50:51 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> seth Hurst <seth@home.sethhurst.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello I'm proposing a brl.* private hierarchy to advicate for more blind
>>users in the using of usenet. This would be on a local server for now.
>>But if anyone has any ideas or wants to peer that would be great. Hoping
>>to find peers in different countrys for fast speads. That way one does
>>not always have to connect to the US server.
>
> You need to think this through. There's no practical way to have a
> private hierachy whose newsgroups appear on various News sites around
> the world. I have no idea how you'd enforce that only subscribers that
> you have approved would read articles in the newsgroups. Moderation,
> obviously, affects posting only and doesn't turn a newsgroup into a
> private newsgroup.
>
> A private newsgroup would have to be not distributed beyond one server,
> which makes it a set of local newsgroups and not Usenet newsgroups.
> Users of the newsgroups would have to authenticate onto that server. If
> it's distributed and therefore Usenet, it's not private.
>
> You are proposing an ordinary international hierarchy. Well, you're not
> at the proposal stage. You're just thinking about it.
>
> I should mention that various users have commented that they have
> communications difficulties but manage to use Usenet. There are blind
> and visually impaired. There are hearing impaired. A number of people
> have mentioned other disabilities from illness or chronic conditions or
> just getting old that can tend to make communication difficult.
>
> But they have figured out how to make newsreaders or necessary computer
> interfaces work for them.
>
> I'm not sure what you can do within discussion on a newsgroup that
> advocates for someone not on Usenet to use Usenet.

I'm guessing and thinking more of a naming skeam for my own server. I
haven't really done much outside of just local groups on a server.

--
Reading your own posts on usenet is like hereing your singing in the
shower its bad.

Re: brl hierarchy

<tevs5v$2tlgk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=news.admin.hierarchies#199

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 15:34:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 15:34 UTC

seth Hurst <seth@home.sethhurst.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:50:51 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>seth Hurst <seth@home.sethhurst.com> wrote:

>>>Hello I'm proposing a brl.* private hierarchy to advicate for more blind
>>>users in the using of usenet. This would be on a local server for now.
>>>But if anyone has any ideas or wants to peer that would be great. Hoping
>>>to find peers in different countrys for fast speads. That way one does
>>>not always have to connect to the US server.

>>You need to think this through. There's no practical way to have a
>>private hierachy whose newsgroups appear on various News sites around
>>the world. I have no idea how you'd enforce that only subscribers that
>>you have approved would read articles in the newsgroups. Moderation,
>>obviously, affects posting only and doesn't turn a newsgroup into a
>>private newsgroup.

>>A private newsgroup would have to be not distributed beyond one server,
>>which makes it a set of local newsgroups and not Usenet newsgroups.
>>Users of the newsgroups would have to authenticate onto that server. If
>>it's distributed and therefore Usenet, it's not private.

>>You are proposing an ordinary international hierarchy. Well, you're not
>>at the proposal stage. You're just thinking about it.

>>I should mention that various users have commented that they have
>>communications difficulties but manage to use Usenet. There are blind
>>and visually impaired. There are hearing impaired. A number of people
>>have mentioned other disabilities from illness or chronic conditions or
>>just getting old that can tend to make communication difficult.

>>But they have figured out how to make newsreaders or necessary computer
>>interfaces work for them.

>>I'm not sure what you can do within discussion on a newsgroup that
>>advocates for someone not on Usenet to use Usenet.

>I'm guessing and thinking more of a naming skeam for my own server. I
>haven't really done much outside of just local groups on a server.

All you need is a .misc or a .general newsgroup. Don't start other
newsgroups till you see what's being discussed. But what exactly do you
think will be discussed that can't be discussed in a newsgroup in an
existing international hierarchy?

Re: brl hierarchy

<pan$a1b2$349e18af$af5b6e13$f6d76240@home.sethhurst.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=200&group=news.admin.hierarchies#200

From: set...@home.sethhurst.com (seth Hurst)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:02:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: seth Hurst - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 16:02 UTC

> All you need is a .misc or a .general newsgroup. Don't start other
> newsgroups till you see what's being discussed. But what exactly do you
> think will be discussed that can't be discussed in a newsgroup in an
> existing international hierarchy?

something like this.
brl.talk..general general talk.
brl.comp.apple a11y apple and realated products.
brl.comp.windows a11y windows tech stuff.
brl.comp.linux a11y linux realated stuff.
brl.local.helpdesk helpdesk for new users.
brl.local.feeback feedback for news admin moderated.

As you can see I have thought alot about the naming conventions.
a11y is the computer shorthand for accessibility.

Re: brl hierarchy

<tf2c5c$pev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=news.admin.hierarchies#202

From: set...@home.sethhurst.com (seth Hurst)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 14:19:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: seth Hurst - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 14:19 UTC

thank you for the advice and feedback.