From: apa...@HAPPYLND.remove-stv-this (apam)
Subject: MQTT
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 21:15:52 +1000
 by: apam - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:15 UTC

Hello

I'm kind of a little bit excited about the MQTT support in synchronet 3.20.

When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to the BBS and wrote a QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the bbs).

I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am wondering if anyone else is working on this sort of thing, or if something similar already exists?

I know the MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes with the status in them, and going from there.

Andrew

---
■ Synchronet ■ HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

MQTT

<66158303.51567.sync@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20011&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#20011

From: digital....@vert.synchro.net.remove-z2j-this (Digital Man)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:03:47 -0700
 by: Digital Man - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:03 UTC

To: apam
Re: MQTT
By: apam to All on Tue Apr 09 2024 09:15 pm

> Hello
>
> I'm kind of a little bit excited about the MQTT support in synchronet 3.20.

I am too! Glad to hear some others appreciate the potential. :-)

> When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to the BBS and wrote a
> QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the
> bbs).
>
> I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am
> wondering if anyone else is working on this sort of thing, or if something
> similar already exists?

Ree wrote up a web-based sysop "control panel" that uses MQTT:
https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/tree/master/webv4/components/webmonitor

I tried setting up up but didn't have much success, so I'm not sure how far along it is. But I seem to recall at least one other sysop successfully using it.

> I know the MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did
> in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes
> with the status in them, and going from there.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

I was thinking QT myself for a future cross-platform replacement for the Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.
--
digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #24:
Karl: Kaiser blade. I hit my mother upside the head with it. Mmm... Killed her.
Norco, CA WX: 72.9°F, 17.0% humidity, 4 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

MQTT

<66158A7F.85662.dove_sync@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20014&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#20014

From: night...@DIGDIST.remove-jhk-this (Nightfox)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:35:43 -0700
 by: Nightfox - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:35 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: MQTT
By: Digital Man to apam on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:03 am

DM> Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in
DM> QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today
DM> in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that
DM> in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.

I've used wxWidgets in the past (it has been a while). I've heard a lot of people say they like Qt though (although I haven't used Qt myself). I thought wxWidgets was pretty good. I had used CodeBlocks at one point to help put together a UI, but that was around 2004-2005, and there may be better tools these days.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

MQTT

<6615C7EA.152.dove-syncdisc@happylnd.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20021&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#20021

From: apa...@HAPPYLND.remove-o61-this (apam)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:57:46 +1000
 by: apam - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:57 UTC

To: Nightfox
Re: MQTT
By: Nightfox to Digital Man on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:35 am

Ni> I've used wxWidgets in the past (it has been a while). I've heard a lot
Ni> of people say they like Qt though (although I haven't used Qt myself). I
Ni> thought wxWidgets was pretty good. I had used CodeBlocks at one point to
Ni> help put together a UI, but that was around 2004-2005, and there may be
Ni> better tools these days.

When I used wxWidgets, I didn't realize there was any gui builder lol.

I really like QT, qtcreator (their IDE) is really nice. QT has everything you might need (even an Mqtt module)

The only thing with QT is that the license is GPL3 unless you buy a license - and I believe buying a license is very expensive. I think WxWidgets is LGPL. Still, it doesn't matter too much if you're working on OpenSource stuff anyway.

Andrew

---
■ Synchronet ■ HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

MQTT

<6615C9BD.153.dove-syncdisc@happylnd.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20022&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#20022

From: apa...@HAPPYLND.remove-o61-this (apam)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:05:33 +1000
 by: apam - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:05 UTC

To: Digital Man
Re: MQTT
By: Digital Man to apam on Tue Apr 09 2024 11:03 am

DM> I was thinking QT myself for a future cross-platform replacement for the
DM> Synchronet control panel (sbbsctrl) for Windows. But when attempting (in
DM> QT) to recreate the same 4-main panel docksite interface we have to today
DM> in sbbsctrl, I wasn't successful. I do plan to take another stab at that
DM> in the future. Also considering using wxWidgets.

I like QT, althought the UI building is probably my least favourite part. I'm not too familiar with the sbbsctrl program (I've seen it a couple of times but don't really remember it) but it might be you have to make a widget if none of the ones that come with do it right.

WxWidgets is also good. I used it for a gopher client I wrote back a while ago, I wasn't aware there was a GUI builder, but apparently there is.

WxWidgets might be a little easer with license requirements, as with qt only the currently supported releases are available as opensource, KDE kept a fork of qt5 to apply patches as they only just have upgraded to qt6, but that doesn't help much on windows. Though I imagine a synchronet control panel would be much easier to keep up with QT, than an entire desktop environment :P

Andrew

---
■ Synchronet ■ HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Linux NewsLink 1.114
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Re: MQTT

<66173AD9.81184.dovenetsync@bbs.docksud.com.ar>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20023&group=alt.bbs.synchronet#20023

From: ragna...@DOCKSUD.remove-s0u-this (Ragnarok)
Subject: Re: MQTT
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.synchronet
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 22:20:25 -0300
 by: Ragnarok - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 01:20 UTC

To: apam
El 9/4/24 a las 08:15, apam escribió:
> Hello
>
> I'm kind of a little bit excited about the MQTT support in synchronet 3.20.
>
> When I was working on Magicka, I added MQTT support to the BBS and wrote a QT application to monitor the nodes on my desktop (another computer from the bbs).
>
> I was thinking about making a similar program for synchronet, but am wondering if anyone else is working on this sort of thing, or if something similar already exists?
>
> I know the MQTT stuff in synchronet is a lot more detailed than what I did in magicka, but to start with I was thinking of just having a list of nodes with the status in them, and going from there.
>
> Andrew
>
> ---
> � Synchronet � HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net

I like QT, but I think I prefer it to be a web app, because it can be
hosted directly on the sbbs webserver and the build and deploy is simpler.
The panel that they started to make with mqtt, although it is not yet
fully functional, seems like a good idea to me. Maybe you should choose
a good framework to make it easy to put together the screen dashboards.
But I agree that MQTT in sbbs (or Magicka) is a very good idea
---
■ Synchronet ■ Dock Sud BBS TLD 24 HS - bbs.docksud.com.ar