"I'm not a god, I was misquoted." -- Lister, Red Dwarf

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

SubjectAuthor
* Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?alanfe...@gmail.com
+* Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?Arne Vajhøj
|`* Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?alanfe...@gmail.com
| +* Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?Chris Townley
| |+- Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?Arne Vajhøj
| |`- Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?alanfe...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
`- Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?Simon Clubley

1
Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<de4d4d4e-303a-4890-a9e3-d1b9c3b1c2dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19952&group=comp.os.vms#19952

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:51:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 03:51 UTC

Can't find it. Apologies if I missed it somehow.

In EDT there actually is a workaround, but it's not pretty:

*QUIT/SAVE

Open the journal file in EDT. Press ESC and then the defined key you regret you pressed for each such key to see what its translation is. Delete that. Delete your goof(s) at the bottom and exit.

Then open your file again in EDT, but this time with the /RECOVER qualifier.

Yeah, pretty clumsy, but it works!

Is there anything like this for EVE or TPU or whatever? An actual built-in UNDO command or some workaround like the above? (Apologies if I missed it somewhere.)

And yes, EVE's QUIT "Are you sure . . . ?" bit is pretty good. as QUIT in EDT can be ruinous.

Just curious. Please, let's not start an editor war. I already know EVE/TPU/LSE and other whiz-bang editors have lots of stuff EDT doesn't. I know. I acknowledge it. I am not claiming otherwise. I am asking ONLY about UNDO capability. Thanks!

Alan (^_^(

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<61db7432$0$698$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19970&group=comp.os.vms#19970

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 18:47:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 23:47 UTC

On 1/8/2022 10:51 PM, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can't find it. Apologies if I missed it somehow.
>
> In EDT there actually is a workaround, but it's not pretty:
>
> *QUIT/SAVE
>
> Open the journal file in EDT. Press ESC and then the defined key you
> regret you pressed for each such key to see what its translation is.
> Delete that. Delete your goof(s) at the bottom and exit.
>
> Then open your file again in EDT, but this time with the /RECOVER
> qualifier.
>
> Yeah, pretty clumsy, but it works!
>
> Is there anything like this for EVE or TPU or whatever? An actual
> built-in UNDO command or some workaround like the above? (Apologies
> if I missed it somewhere.)
>
> And yes, EVE's QUIT "Are you sure . . . ?" bit is pretty good. as
> QUIT in EDT can be ruinous.
>
> Just curious. Please, let's not start an editor war. I already know
> EVE/TPU/LSE and other whiz-bang editors have lots of stuff EDT
> doesn't. I know. I acknowledge it. I am not claiming otherwise. I am
> asking ONLY about UNDO capability. Thanks!

I have never heard about it and I can't find it in the docs either.

And I have been using EVE for 34 years.

Arne

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<b8be3c3f-f739-41ae-859a-a5b6ab8c4bccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19976&group=comp.os.vms#19976

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 01:08:15 -0800 (PST)
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:08 UTC

On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 6:48:04 PM UTC-5, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 10:51 PM, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Can't find it. Apologies if I missed it somehow.

[...]
> > Just curious. Please, let's not start an editor war. I already know
> > EVE/TPU/LSE and other whiz-bang editors have lots of stuff EDT
> > doesn't. I know. I acknowledge it. I am not claiming otherwise. I am
> > asking ONLY about UNDO capability. Thanks!
> I have never heard about it and I can't find it in the docs either.
>
> And I have been using EVE for 34 years.
>
> Arne

Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!

I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common among many editors or apps like non-linear editors (NLEs) like Final Cut, for instance..

Alan

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<srhahn$chr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19980&group=comp.os.vms#19980

From: new...@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:58:30 +0000
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:58 UTC

On 10/01/2022 09:08, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 6:48:04 PM UTC-5, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> On 1/8/2022 10:51 PM, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Can't find it. Apologies if I missed it somehow.
>>>
> [...]
>>> Just curious. Please, let's not start an editor war. I already know
>>> EVE/TPU/LSE and other whiz-bang editors have lots of stuff EDT
>>> doesn't. I know. I acknowledge it. I am not claiming otherwise. I am
>>> asking ONLY about UNDO capability. Thanks!
>> I have never heard about it and I can't find it in the docs either.
>>
>> And I have been using EVE for 34 years.
>>
>> Arne
>
> Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!
>
> I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common among many editors or apps like non-linear editors (NLEs) like Final Cut, for instance.
>
> Alan

Both TPU and LSE have it - just load either, then use RECOVER BUFFER -
see the help

--
Chris

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<srhai7$i57$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19981&group=comp.os.vms#19981

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:58:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:58 UTC

In article <b8be3c3f-f739-41ae-859a-a5b6ab8c4bccn@googlegroups.com>,
"alanfe...@gmail.com" <alanfeldman48@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!
>
> I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that
> it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common
> among many editors

I've used the QUIT/SAVE and editing the .JOU file then EDIT/RECOVER
maybe two or three times in my life. I usually don't need it. Quick
edit? Just revert to the previous version of the file (and silently
mock those who don't use VMS).

For longer editing sessions, I periodically save the file without
exiting. I do this in order to recover in case of a bad edit, but with
LaTeX, Fortran, etc., I like to compile frequently so that I catch any
typos. Actually, for long sessions I use the command file below. I've
defined GOLD-W as "EXT WRITE EDT_FILE." to make it quick.

$ DEFINE/USER_MODE EDT_FILE 'P1'
$ FILE = F$ELEMENT(0,".",P1)
$ TYPE = F$ELEMENT(1,".",P1)
$ JFL = FILE + "_" + TYPE
$ LEN = F$LENGTH(JFL)
$ IF LEN .GT. 39
$ THEN
$ START = LEN - 39
$ JFL = F$EXTRACT(START,39,JFL)
$ ENDIF
$ JFL = JFL + ".JOU"
$ IF F$SEARCH(JFL) .NES. ""
$ THEN
$ WSO ""
$ WSO "%EE-W-JRNLFE, journal file exists"
$ DATE = F$FILE_ATTRIBUTES(JFL,"RDT")
$ DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'JFL'
$ DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'P1'/SIN="''DATE'
$ DIR/DATE=(C,M) 'P1'/BEF="''DATE'
$ READ/PROMPT="Do you want to recover (Y/N, default is Y)? " -
SYS$COMMAND ANSWER
$ ANSWER = F$EXTRACT(0,1,F$EDIT(ANSWER,"COLLAPSE,UPCASE"))
$ IF ANSWER .EQS. "N"
$ THEN
$ EXIT
$ ELSE
$ @ PROZDIR:RECOVER.COM 'P1'
$ ENDIF
$ ENDIF
$ DEFINE/USER_MODE SYS$INPUT SYS$COMMAND
$ DEFINE/USER_MODE EDT_FILE 'P1'
$ E/JOURNAL='JFL' 'P1'
$ EXIT

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<61dc34dd$0$692$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19982&group=comp.os.vms#19982

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:29:59 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:29 UTC

On 1/10/2022 7:58 AM, Chris Townley wrote:
> On 10/01/2022 09:08, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>>
>> [...]
>>> I have never heard about it and I can't find it in the docs either.
>>>
>>> And I have been using EVE for 34 years.
>>
>> Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that
>> it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common
>> among many editors or apps like non-linear editors (NLEs) like Final
>> Cut, for instance.
>
> Both TPU and LSE have it - just load either, then use RECOVER BUFFER -
> see the help

RECOVER BUFFER recovers via journal file.

But how do you tell it to skip last change or last N changes?

Arne

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<srhu88$td8$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19989&group=comp.os.vms#19989

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:34:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:34 UTC

On 2022-01-08, alanfe...@gmail.com <alanfeldman48@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there anything like this for EVE or TPU or whatever? An actual built-in UNDO command or some workaround like the above? (Apologies if I missed it somewhere.)

Flippant answer: Yes, there most certainly is. Just save your work
very frequently and then use the multi-version capability of VMS
to roll back to the file version before you screwed up. :-)

Serious answer: Not that I am aware of, apart from the usual one level
of undelete if you press remove or delete character/word/line by mistake.
There's nothing like the Emacs undo functionality in EVE that I am
aware of.

Simon.

Re: Does EVE (or EDIT/TPU) have an undo command?

<b44d39b3-3f04-4e70-a713-02b2c243f0abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20056&group=comp.os.vms#20056

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 03:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From: alanfeld...@gmail.com (alanfe...@gmail.com)
 by: alanfe...@gmail.com - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:48 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 7:58:33 AM UTC-5, Chris Townley wrote:
> On 10/01/2022 09:08, alanfe...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>>
> > [...]
> >> I have never heard about it and I can't find it in the docs either.
> >>
> >> And I have been using EVE for 34 years.
> >>
> >> Arne
> >
> > Looks like LSE has it, but not TPU! I don't see why that should be!
> >
> > I'm a bit surprised TPU/EVE/whatever doesn't have it. You'd think that it would be a rather popular feature! I mean, UNDO is rather common among many editors or apps like non-linear editors (NLEs) like Final Cut, for instance.
> >
> > Alan
> Both TPU and LSE have it - just load either, then use RECOVER BUFFER -
> see the help
>
> --
> Chris

LSE has an actual UNDO command. I tried it and it works. But it's not bound to a key. Anyway, looks like EVE/TPU doesn't have it. Thanks all.