Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:09:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The 3T-era in computing?
From: jim.brak...@ieee.org (JimBrakefield)
 by: JimBrakefield - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 00:09 UTC

Given the recent announcements in computing "platters"
with tera in their computation rates, memory size and data rates;
one may as well call these 3T machines. Eg. announcements
from Intel and Tesla as well as some previous FPGA products.

For historical purposes. there was the 3M era (mega pixel display,
megabyte main memory and 1MIPs). And one can say we have had a
3G era( gigabyte memory, gigaflop, giga data rates). And lest we
forget the 3K era (kilobytes of memory, KIPs, and a 2K text display).

These new compute platters use insane amounts of low voltage DC
current and require liquid cooling to remove the heat.

Multiple dies on a package and 200 watt power is not new. What is new
is the number of dies and the corresponding number of cores, the hefty
memory and IO bandwidths and the size of the platters,. So 64 cores, 50 die, and 1KW power are like the boundary between 3G and 3T??

Re: The 3T-era in computing?

<9d3280f5-ebce-45a0-8f33-3014ecf3355fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20203&group=comp.arch#20203

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:44:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The 3T-era in computing?
From: MitchAl...@aol.com (MitchAlsup)
 by: MitchAlsup - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 01:44 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 7:09:38 PM UTC-5, JimBrakefield wrote:
> Given the recent announcements in computing "platters"
> with tera in their computation rates, memory size and data rates;
> one may as well call these 3T machines. Eg. announcements
> from Intel and Tesla as well as some previous FPGA products.
>
> For historical purposes. there was the 3M era (mega pixel display,
> megabyte main memory and 1MIPs). And one can say we have had a
<
The first time I heard of 3M (a MIP, a MegaByte, and a MegaPixel display)
was in 1974 at CMU from no other than Gordon Bell.
<
> 3G era( gigabyte memory, gigaflop, giga data rates). And lest we
> forget the 3K era (kilobytes of memory, KIPs, and a 2K text display).
>
> These new compute platters use insane amounts of low voltage DC
> current and require liquid cooling to remove the heat.
<
Insane !?! I think you are out of context. A CRAY 1 consumed 300 KVA
and required another 100KVA of cooling. Why 300 KVA ? It is the largest
load one can consume from the power grid without calling up the power
company before turning it on or off.
<
And this is from someone who saw the energy "bash" when the carbon
electrodes are pulled from the ladles of molten steel. There was a resistor
bank* on top of the hill in Pitsburgh that would glow red for 20-odd
seconds as the power that used to be going to the electrodes was
rediverted to the resistor grid, while the power company reduced power
flowing into the grid 40 miles away. {Yes this was easily seen anywhere
on the power grid with an oscilloscope. 2000V 3-5ns spikes on an
otherwise fairly routine 120V 60 Hz sine wave.
<
(*) the resistor bank was several acres in size.

> Multiple dies on a package and 200 watt power is not new. What is new
> is the number of dies and the corresponding number of cores, the hefty
> memory and IO bandwidths and the size of the platters,. So 64 cores, 50
> die, and 1KW power are like the boundary between 3G and 3T??

Re: The 3T-era in computing?

<00f3a69b-a86e-48b7-80aa-70a6f539a393n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20206&group=comp.arch#20206

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: jim.brak...@ieee.org (JimBrakefield)
 by: JimBrakefield - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 02:57 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 8:44:10 PM UTC-5, MitchAlsup wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 7:09:38 PM UTC-5, JimBrakefield wrote:
> > Given the recent announcements in computing "platters"
> > with tera in their computation rates, memory size and data rates;
> > one may as well call these 3T machines. Eg. announcements
> > from Intel and Tesla as well as some previous FPGA products.
> >
> > For historical purposes. there was the 3M era (mega pixel display,
> > megabyte main memory and 1MIPs). And one can say we have had a
> <
> The first time I heard of 3M (a MIP, a MegaByte, and a MegaPixel display)
> was in 1974 at CMU from no other than Gordon Bell.
> <
> > 3G era( gigabyte memory, gigaflop, giga data rates). And lest we
> > forget the 3K era (kilobytes of memory, KIPs, and a 2K text display).
> >
> > These new compute platters use insane amounts of low voltage DC
> > current and require liquid cooling to remove the heat.
> <
> Insane !?! I think you are out of context. A CRAY 1 consumed 300 KVA
> and required another 100KVA of cooling. Why 300 KVA ? It is the largest
> load one can consume from the power grid without calling up the power
> company before turning it on or off.
> <
> And this is from someone who saw the energy "bash" when the carbon
> electrodes are pulled from the ladles of molten steel. There was a resistor
> bank* on top of the hill in Pitsburgh that would glow red for 20-odd
> seconds as the power that used to be going to the electrodes was
> rediverted to the resistor grid, while the power company reduced power
> flowing into the grid 40 miles away. {Yes this was easily seen anywhere
> on the power grid with an oscilloscope. 2000V 3-5ns spikes on an
> otherwise fairly routine 120V 60 Hz sine wave.
> <
> (*) the resistor bank was several acres in size.
> >
> > Multiple dies on a package and 200 watt power is not new. What is new
> > is the number of dies and the corresponding number of cores, the hefty
> > memory and IO bandwidths and the size of the platters,. So 64 cores, 50
> > die, and 1KW power are like the boundary between 3G and 3T??

Should refrain from using the term "insane", after all the Tesla platter
consumes "only" 15KW (at ~1 volt) powered by fifty surface mount DC2DC converters
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/81229/teslas-insane-new-dojo-d1-ai-chip-full-transcript-of-its-unveiling/index.html
Still, 10KA at 5% regulation is beyond my ken.

It is said that the Cray-1 was designed to be a constant current load.
And have personally had good luck with low voltage ceramic capacitors.

Re: The 3T-era in computing?

<e38ae2f0-c1b0-4e22-aa29-76fa4015ec27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20216&group=comp.arch#20216

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:06 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 7:44:10 PM UTC-6, MitchAlsup wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 7:09:38 PM UTC-5, JimBrakefield wrote:

> > These new compute platters use insane amounts of low voltage DC
> > current and require liquid cooling to remove the heat.

> Insane !?! I think you are out of context. A CRAY 1 consumed 300 KVA
> and required another 100KVA of cooling. Why 300 KVA ? It is the largest
> load one can consume from the power grid without calling up the power
> company before turning it on or off.

That may be, but he was using a different context; insane by the standards
of desktop computers to be used in the home or office, without particular
concern for their cooling requirements beyond not blocking the air vents.

John Savard