From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Is there a linux cursor editor or info display program.
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 14:40:56 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:40 UTC

I have a beautiful script for making cursor themes. Got the full dump from a github page and did some personal scripts and changes. The
basics are there.

My script just changes the wait cursor or the hourglass cursor whatever you call it. The other cursors are from the author. Oh maybe a few
I changed but the basics of the script is building a theme.

The only issue I have is the wait cursor hot spot is off. When I try to select text in an editor, I'm always off by a character. The
pointer is not where I want it, or the I beam is not where I want it.
I'd like to have a program that could tell me where the hotspot is for any cursor item in the theme.
I don't need to edit anything, just a display would be great.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Is there a linux cursor editor or info display program.

<sh8j1e$3ka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2027&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2027

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 16:45:32 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 20:45 UTC

On 9/6/21 2:40 PM, this is what Big Al wrote:
> I have a beautiful script for making cursor themes.  Got the full dump from a github page and did some personal scripts and changes.   The
> basics are there.
>
> My script just changes the wait cursor or the hourglass cursor whatever you call it.  The other cursors are from the author.  Oh maybe a few
> I changed but the basics of the script is building a theme.
>
> The only issue I have is the wait cursor hot spot is off.  When I try to select text in an editor, I'm always off by a character.  The
> pointer is not where I want it, or the I beam is not where I want it.
> I'd like to have a program that could tell me where the hotspot is for any cursor item in the theme.
> I don't need to edit anything, just a display would be great.

FYI, I found one, Real World Cursor Editor. It's a windows program, not sure if it runs in Wine since I just loaded it into my Windows
machine.

You can get a codec from the authors site via the program that will read Linux cursor files. Needed since Linux cursors are not image files
as most people know them.

Anyway, I have one cursor theme with a good xterm cursor with proper hotspot and of course it can be copied from theme to theme as it's not
specific (at least in mine), it's just a simple I-beam. But on my problem theme I was able to load it into RW-Cursor editor and see that
the hot spot for the smaller 2 size cursors were off quite a bit, producing an error if I wasn't using the huge cursor size. The short
term learning curve to see how to edit the cursor to fix it was more than I wanted, I had a good one anyway. At least I know the issue now.
I'll go back to my scripts and see what I screwed up.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Is there a linux cursor editor or info display program.

<ipq2iiFo6d2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2028&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2028

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 14:06:25 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 21:06 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> Real World Cursor Editor.  It's a windows program, not sure if it runs
> in Wine since I just loaded it into my Windows machine.

The cursor editor is based on RW Paint. Some years back someone
reported a Silver rating on RW Paint at Wine HQ. It is probably worth a
try in Wine.

--
Mike Easter