From: mik...@mikea.ath.cx
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 19:03:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mik...@mikea.ath.cx - Wed, 4 May 2022 19:03 UTC

When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after issuing a
message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the CONTROL-D, it
takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have any idea what the
cause is, and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

--
Ah, yes, _The Dying Earth_: a wonderful title, greatly spoiled by the
book.

Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D

<4435hp2gg5.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=202&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#202

From: lguse...@be-well.ilk.org (Lowell Gilbert)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 16:25:30 -0400
sha1:yqSkJ4EdJKcr0FDzZMpDeP5+jm8=
 by: Lowell Gilbert - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:25 UTC

steve kargl <sgk@REMOVEtroutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:

> mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
>
>> When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after issuing a
>> message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the CONTROL-D, it
>> takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have any idea what the
>> cause is, and how to fix it?
>
> Is ntpd pointed at a valid ntp server? Is the date and system clock in
> the BIOS set correctly (I vaguely recall you need /etc/localtime).

An easy test would be to disable ntpd (probably by commenting
"ntp_enable=YES" out of rc.conf). If the delay goes away, you
know for sure that starting ntpd really is your problem.

If the system starts fine without ntpd, you can then try starting
it after boot. If it does not start that way, you can debug it
with an otherwise fully operating system. If it does not start
that way, you have to determine why it is unhappy with starting
at boot time in particular.

Good luck.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D

<jdg5vjFo0nmU8@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=203&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#203

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 4 May 2022 20:28:35 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 4 May 2022 20:28 UTC

On Wed, 04 May 2022 19:03:48 +0000, mikea wrote:

> When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after
> issuing a message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the
> CONTROL-D, it takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have
> any idea what the cause is, and how to fix it?

Something is trying to read from the console. At the boot menu, select a
verbose boot. That may give you a clue.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D

<slrnt76vfe.4qu.sax@zardoz.noart.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=204&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#204

From: sax...@noart.de (Detlef Sax)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 5 May 2022 07:34:06 GMT
 by: Detlef Sax - Thu, 5 May 2022 07:34 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 19:03:48 -0000 (UTC), mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
> When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after issuing a
> message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the CONTROL-D, it
> takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have any idea what the
> cause is, and how to fix it?

Hi
Is a own DNS service like unbound running?
If yes it's possible that ntpd is starting before DNS and cannot
resolve it's adresses.

Got this here. Was that the jail with unbound started after ntpd.
man rcorder(8) helped me.

Detlef
--
https://www.12schrittefrei.de/
https://www.noart.de/

Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D

<jdhpsfF9ifaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=205&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#205

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 5 May 2022 11:14:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 5 May 2022 11:14 UTC

On Thu, 05 May 2022 07:34:06 +0000, Detlef Sax wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2022 19:03:48 -0000 (UTC), mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
>> When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after
>> issuing a message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the
>> CONTROL-D, it takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have
>> any idea what the cause is, and how to fix it?
>
> Hi Is a own DNS service like unbound running?
> If yes it's possible that ntpd is starting before DNS and cannot resolve
> it's adresses.

How would that explain the Ctrl-D behaviour? (unless it's stopping and
asking for information)

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: FreeBSD 12.2 system hangs in boot until CTRL-D

<slrnt77q07.30s.sax@zardoz.noart.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=206&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#206

From: sax...@noart.de (Detlef Sax)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 5 May 2022 15:06:47 GMT
 by: Detlef Sax - Thu, 5 May 2022 15:06 UTC

On 5 May 2022 11:14:23 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2022 07:34:06 +0000, Detlef Sax wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 May 2022 19:03:48 -0000 (UTC), mikea@mikea.ath.cx wrote:
>>> When I boot my FreeBSD 12.2 system, it hangs during boot, rght after
>>> issuing a message about startng ntpd, until I hit CONTROL-D; After the
>>> CONTROL-D, it takes off and fnishes the boot nicely. Does anyone have
>>> any idea what the cause is, and how to fix it?
>>
>> Hi Is a own DNS service like unbound running?
>> If yes it's possible that ntpd is starting before DNS and cannot resolve
>> it's adresses.
>
> How would that explain the Ctrl-D behaviour? (unless it's stopping and
> asking for information)

With Ctrl-D or Ctrl-C you stop the ntpd-start-script in /etc/rc.d.
The ntpd starts nevertheless and next time it looks up what time it is
upline the DNS is already up.

grep ntpd /var/log/messages to know what really is going on your
machine.

Detlef