All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory... -- Larry Wall

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Windows 11 and Local Account?

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 and Local Account?boris
+* Windows 11 and Local Account?Paul
|`* Windows 11 and Local Account?Graham J
| `* Windows 11 and Local Account?boris
|  +* Windows 11 and Local Account?Paul
|  |`- Windows 11 and Local Account?boris
|  `* Windows 11 and Local Account?...winston
|   +* Windows 11 and Local Account?Char Jackson
|   |`* Windows 11 and Local Account?...winston
|   | `* Windows 11 and Local Account?Paul
|   |  `- Windows 11 and Local Account?...winston
|   `* Windows 11 and Local Account?boris
|    `* Windows 11 and Local Account?Paul
|     `* Windows 11 and Local Account?Boris
|      `* Windows 11 and Local Account?Boris
|       `- Windows 11 and Local Account?Paul
`- Windows 11 and Local Account?...winston

1
Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4c7v9$1e3vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2054&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2054

From: bor...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Windows 11 and Local Account?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 04:50:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bor...@invalid.net - Sun, 21 May 2023 04:50 UTC

Hi,

I had to do a factory (re)install of a Dell OEM Windows 11 Home. Long
story for later. I want to do this (re)install with only a local account,
but this may no longer be possible

Background:

Macnine is a Dell XPS Desktop with OEM installed Windows 11 Home, set up
September 2022.

I configured this original install with only a local account, by entering
"no@thankyou.com", when asked to sign in with a MSFT account. This
worked. MSFT returned the expected, "Oops, something
went wrong", and asked me to create a local account, bypassing the
MSFT account request.

I found this method at tomshardware.com and described it here in my post
of 9/23/2003:

The article has been updated and no longer contains this trick.

Today:

After successfully using the Dell SupportAssist to do a factory install,
Windows came up and asked me to name my computer. I did, and hit next,
which now asked for an email address to set up a MSFT account. I entered
no@thankyou.com, hit next, and was asked for a pasword. Previously, it
didn't ask for a password after entering no@thankyou.com. It allowed me
to create a local account.

Anyone successfully install an OEM Windows 11 Home with only a local
account lately?

I want to configure this re-install with only a local account. I want to
avoid having my user file folder having anything to do with any email
name/account I may have to create to get Windows 11 installed, even if I
can delete the MSFT account later.

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4cmfv$1gkpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2057&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2057

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 04:58:39 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 May 2023 08:58 UTC

On 5/21/2023 12:50 AM, boris@invalid.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to do a factory (re)install of a Dell OEM Windows 11 Home. Long
> story for later. I want to do this (re)install with only a local account,
> but this may no longer be possible
>
> Background:
>
> Macnine is a Dell XPS Desktop with OEM installed Windows 11 Home, set up
> September 2022.
>
> I configured this original install with only a local account, by entering
> "no@thankyou.com", when asked to sign in with a MSFT account. This
> worked. MSFT returned the expected, "Oops, something
> went wrong", and asked me to create a local account, bypassing the
> MSFT account request.
>
> I found this method at tomshardware.com and described it here in my post
> of 9/23/2003:

> The article has been updated and no longer contains this trick.
>
> Today:
>
> After successfully using the Dell SupportAssist to do a factory install,
> Windows came up and asked me to name my computer. I did, and hit next,
> which now asked for an email address to set up a MSFT account. I entered
> no@thankyou.com, hit next, and was asked for a pasword. Previously, it
> didn't ask for a password after entering no@thankyou.com. It allowed me
> to create a local account.
>
> Anyone successfully install an OEM Windows 11 Home with only a local
> account lately?
>
> I want to configure this re-install with only a local account. I want to
> avoid having my user file folder having anything to do with any email
> name/account I may have to create to get Windows 11 installed, even if I
> can delete the MSFT account later.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-windows-11-without-microsoft-account

As an experiment, you can try viewing the web page as a more rectangular image.
Try "Download Original" and see if the page is easier to follow that way, in
something other than a web browser.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/V5yYR8n5/Set-up-Windows-11-without-a-Microsoft-acct.gif

Paul

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4cnao$1gr89$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2058&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2058

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 10:12:55 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sun, 21 May 2023 09:12 UTC

Paul wrote:

[snip]

>> Anyone successfully install an OEM Windows 11 Home with only a local
>> account lately?
>>
>> I want to configure this re-install with only a local account.  I want to
>> avoid having my user file folder having anything to do with any email
>> name/account I may have to create to get Windows 11 installed, even if I
>> can delete the MSFT account later.
>>

> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-windows-11-without-microsoft-account

I've used

Shift + F10 to get command window

You might need Shift + Fn + F10 on a laptop keyboard because the F keys
might be shared with numbers or other functuons.

oobe\bypassnro

.... with W11 Pro, new laptop straight from Dell. Machine reboots, then
you proceed as normal.

The link above suggests it will work with the "Home" variant.

--
Graham J

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4dfpi$1l275$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2059&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2059

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 12:10:24 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 21 May 2023 16:10 UTC

boris@invalid.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to do a factory (re)install of a Dell OEM Windows 11 Home. Long
> story for later. I want to do this (re)install with only a local account,
> but this may no longer be possible
>
> Background:
>
> Macnine is a Dell XPS Desktop with OEM installed Windows 11 Home, set up
> September 2022.
>
> I configured this original install with only a local account, by entering
> "no@thankyou.com", when asked to sign in with a MSFT account. This
> worked. MSFT returned the expected, "Oops, something
> went wrong", and asked me to create a local account, bypassing the
> MSFT account request.
>
> I found this method at tomshardware.com and described it here in my post
> of 9/23/2003:

> The article has been updated and no longer contains this trick.
>
> Today:
>
> After successfully using the Dell SupportAssist to do a factory install,
> Windows came up and asked me to name my computer. I did, and hit next,
> which now asked for an email address to set up a MSFT account. I entered
> no@thankyou.com, hit next, and was asked for a pasword. Previously, it
> didn't ask for a password after entering no@thankyou.com. It allowed me
> to create a local account.
>
> Anyone successfully install an OEM Windows 11 Home with only a local
> account lately?
>
> I want to configure this re-install with only a local account. I want to
> avoid having my user file folder having anything to do with any email
> name/account I may have to create to get Windows 11 installed, even if I
> can delete the MSFT account later.

Why not just create an MSA with any email address(your isp, Gmail, etc.
[1]) and use that to install the OEM Win11, once done use that MSA admin
account to create your Local account and make it an admin account.
Once the Local Account is created, logon to the Local account, and
delete the MSA logon.

Once done, you can close the MSA account by logging on with the MSA
email address/password at account.microsoft.com - look for the 'Close
Account' option in the Your Info section or just go directly to the
account close option at:
<https://account.live.com/closeaccount.aspx>

[1] Ensure you remember the password used to create the MSA.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4gicb$28mc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2060&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2060

From: bor...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 20:13:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bor...@invalid.net - Mon, 22 May 2023 20:13 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in

> Paul wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Anyone successfully install an OEM Windows 11 Home with only a local
>>> account lately?
>>>
>>> I want to configure this re-install with only a local account.  I
>>> want to avoid having my user file folder having anything to do with
>>> any email name/account I may have to create to get Windows 11
>>> installed, even if I can delete the MSFT account later.
>>>

>> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-windows-11-without-microsoft-
acco
>> unt
>>

> I've used
>
> Shift + F10 to get command window
>
> You might need Shift + Fn + F10 on a laptop keyboard because the F keys
> might be shared with numbers or other functuons.
>
> oobe\bypassnro
>
> ... with W11 Pro, new laptop straight from Dell. Machine reboots, then
> you proceed as normal.
>
> The link above suggests it will work with the "Home" variant.

Hi,

I was finally able to create a local account without creating a Microsoft
account. Explanation follows.

About
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-windows-11-without-microsoft-
account

Been there. I can get a command prompt, and oobe\bypassnro does indeed
reboot, but I'm still sent to sign in with a Microsoft account. I tried
entering what got me in back in September, 2022, "no@thankyou.com", but a
password was still required.

I also went here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-11-without-microsoft-
ac
count

Nothing worked, and I didn't really want to create/use a Rufus USB drive
for Windows 11 that 'could' disable the Microsoft account requirement. I
had done Rufus before, to install a Media Creation Tool Windows 10 ISO.
Worked fine, but guess I was lazy this time around.

Winston did suggest (thank you, Winston) that I create a Microsoft
account, install Windows, create a Local account, and then delete the
Microsoft account. That made a lot of sense, and was the easy solution,
but I wasn't ready to throw in the towel, yet.

I kept rebooting, with and without a network connection, and trying
different methods. Using Shift + F10 to get to CMD prompt, and issuing
various commands, didn't work.

While still disconnected from the network, I kept trying to use made up
account names whenever I got to the Microsoft sign in, Nothing was
accepted.

I reconnected the network cable, and skipped the device name question when
it came up, Next, the Microsoft account email screen came up, and I tried
different fake account names. I tried 'no@thanks.com', and it worked. The
next screen gave me the 'Oops...something went wrong' message. I was in.
I don't think there's anything special about 'no@thanks.com', I just think
I caught the Microsoft server on a bad day.

It went something like this:

Next screen was 'Who is going to use this device?' Boris

The Dell logo came up, with the spinning circle.

Next came, "Hi".

Then the Windows 11 big blue ribbon appeared on the desktop.

A few program icons appeared on the taskbar.

I went to Setting>Accounts and found:
Boris
Local Account
Administrator

The next step is to reinstall all the progrmas and data that was
removed,which I have.

*Why did I have to do a factory reinstall?*

This Dell desktop came with OEM Windows 11 Home installed on a 512 GB SSD.
I I was able to set it up with just a local account back in September,
2022, when purchased.

Once the SSD was set up the way I liked it, I installed a 1 TB HDD, and
cloned the SSD set up to this HDD. I could boot from either one. I used
the HDD to try out new programs and configurations before applying to the
SSD.

A few days ago, I logged on to the HDD, and it wanted to restart to
install some Microsoft updates. I agreed. About 10 seconds later, the
screen went black, never to resurect itself. The HDD was not whirring,
and the screen went into energy saving mode, with it's power light
blinking. I could no longer boot from the HDD.

The SSD was also affected. Booting from the SSD would only take me to the
Windows reset/recovery options.

I couldn't use any rescue/recovery devices that I had. When tried,
nothing happened. Macrium Windows 11 PE on USB loaded, but that's all it
could do.

Time to use the least damaging Windows recovery method that resets the OS,
but isn't supposed to affect programs or data (but it did). Turns out
this procedure did save my programs and data, but after reinstalling the
OS, and then the programs and data that it saved, it did not delete the
very large folder it made to temporarily hold my programs and data. There
was now a 'Do_Not_Delete' folder on C:. (The folder name actually did
have semi-quotes around it.) All of a sudden, the SSD free space went
from 50% to 17%. I couldn't seem to get permission to delete this folder,
yet.

Question:
Does anyone know if this Windows recovery method is supposed to create a
permanent 'Do_Not_Delete' folder on C:?

I tried to load Ubuntu (Secure Boot disabled) from a USB optical drive to
delete this folder. Wouldn't load. I finally was able to take permission
as SYSTEM, by enabling 'Replace all child object permission entries with
inheritable permission entries from this object', and then delete the
folder. There was a folder named USMT within the 'Do_Not_Delete' folder.
The USMT folder held all the programs and data. The 'Do_Not_Delete'
folder held less than a GB.

I'm still not back to normal with the SDD. I try to launch a number of
programs, but am presented with a message something about objects,
containers, and some third item, if I remember correctly., Even when I'd
click on jpgs or txts, I got cryptic messages. At least cryptic to me. I
did take notes, but can't locate at the moment. I guess it's time to bite
the bullet...factory reset. I do have backup.

Factory reset went fine, disk management looks fine, and as told in the
beginning of this post, I was able to create a local account. I'm now
setting up this factory reset SDD with all my programs and loading data
such as media and documents. Once completed, I'll clone this SDD to the
HDD, which still won't boot but can be read from File Explorer.

Boris

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4gp49$29efo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2061&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2061

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 18:08:08 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 May 2023 22:08 UTC

On 5/22/2023 4:13 PM, boris@invalid.net wrote:
> [...]
> The USMT folder held all the programs and data. The 'Do_Not_Delete'
> folder held less than a GB.
>
> I'm still not back to normal with the SDD. I try to launch a number of
> programs, but am presented with a message something about objects,
> containers, and some third item, if I remember correctly., Even when I'd
> click on jpgs or txts, I got cryptic messages. At least cryptic to me. I
> did take notes, but can't locate at the moment. I guess it's time to bite
> the bullet...factory reset. I do have backup.
>
> Factory reset went fine, disk management looks fine, and as told in the
> beginning of this post, I was able to create a local account. I'm now
> setting up this factory reset SDD with all my programs and loading data
> such as media and documents. Once completed, I'll clone this SDD to the
> HDD, which still won't boot but can be read from File Explorer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-recover-some-files-from-usb-backup-seems/f76c92cf-67e9-42a2-a3ae-6b490f743c20

"User State Migration Tool" (perhaps, a way of moving a profile and files from another installation)

"Otherwise mig files are quite dated, were used in Windows Easy Transfer.
But there are some modern interfaces that still work to access them:

The .mig file could contain an attempt by Dell, to move the profile from the old
installation, into the new factory install of C: . The file is stored on C: in
a similar way to how someone in the discussion thread describes how you might
unpack one. By placing the MIG content on C: , it's a subtle way of saying
"yeah, this stuff will eventually be part of your C: install".

https://superuser.com/questions/1706626/how-to-open-a-mig-file-from-windows-easy-transfer

"How to open a .MIG file from Windows Easy Transfer?"

and then we have to hope that the USMT attempt, is not encrypted!

This all sounds vaguely related to the attempt by Microsoft to protect
machines against a new exploit that gets around Secure Boot. And in the
process, they've already trashed your machine. Some "good work" I would think.
And precisely what I would expect from the remote usage of software nuclear
weapons. Ask me sometime what I think of the TPM approach, from a
"user quality of life" perspective.

You should NEVER NEVER NEVER encrypt machines behind the backs of users.
The ultimate stupidity. How is a user supposed to figure out what happened ?
How is a user supposed to piece their life together again ? How is the
user supposed to know where to start ?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4j2ab$2llpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2065&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2065

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 14:57:15 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 23 May 2023 18:57 UTC

boris@invalid.net wrote:
> [...]
> The USMT folder held all the programs and data. The 'Do_Not_Delete'
> folder held less than a GB.
>
> I'm still not back to normal with the SDD. I try to launch a number of
> programs, but am presented with a message something about objects,
> containers, and some third item, if I remember correctly., Even when I'd
> click on jpgs or txts, I got cryptic messages. At least cryptic to me. I
> did take notes, but can't locate at the moment. I guess it's time to bite
> the bullet...factory reset. I do have backup.
>
> Factory reset went fine, disk management looks fine, and as told in the
> beginning of this post, I was able to create a local account. I'm now
> setting up this factory reset SDD with all my programs and loading data
> such as media and documents. Once completed, I'll clone this SDD to the
> HDD, which still won't boot but can be read from File Explorer.

Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.

Was this an installation that reset the pc to Dell's as-shipped factory
condition?
- If so, open Disk Management.
How many recovery partitions are present?
1, 2, or more ?

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<ssbq6i5h4c3oqa14m5pmkng2tk5lb651nl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2069

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:27:52 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Tue, 23 May 2023 21:27 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 14:57:15 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.

We don't see many Johnny Carson references anymore. :-)

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4jmb9$2no5f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2070&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2070

From: bor...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 00:39:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bor...@invalid.net - Wed, 24 May 2023 00:39 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:u4gp49$29efo$1@dont-email.me:

> [...]
>>
>> Boris
>
> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-recover-
s > ome-files-from-usb-backup-seems/f76c92cf-67e9-42a2-a3ae-6b490f743c20

> "User State Migration Tool" (perhaps, a way of moving a profile and
> files from another installation)
>
> "Otherwise mig files are quite dated, were used in Windows Easy
> Transfer.
> But there are some modern interfaces that still work to access
> them:
>
> The .mig file could contain an attempt by Dell, to move the profile from
> the old installation, into the new factory install of C: . The file is
> stored on C: in a similar way to how someone in the discussion thread
> describes how you might unpack one. By placing the MIG content on C: ,
> it's a subtle way of saying "yeah, this stuff will eventually be part of

<u4js3f$2rrnj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2072&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2072

From: bor...@invalid.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 02:17:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bor...@invalid.net - Wed, 24 May 2023 02:17 UTC

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in news:u4j2ab$2llpr$1@dont-
email.me:

> [...]
I >> did take notes, but can't locate at the moment. I guess it's time to
bite
>> the bullet...factory reset. I do have backup.
>>
>> Factory reset went fine, disk management looks fine, and as told in the
>> beginning of this post, I was able to create a local account. I'm now
>> setting up this factory reset SDD with all my programs and loading data
>> such as media and documents. Once completed, I'll clone this SDD to
the
>> HDD, which still won't boot but can be read from File Explorer.
>>
>> Boris
>>

> Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.
>
> Was this an installation that reset the pc to Dell's as-shipped factory
> condition?
> - If so, open Disk Management.
> How many recovery partitions are present?

Yes, this was a reset to the Dell as-shipped factory condition.

I'm attaching (link) a screenshot of the original Disk Management display
that shows the partitions of the Dell OEM install.

Also attached is a screenshot of the Disk Management display immediately
after the Dell factory reinstall.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4kbo3$2t9ch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2075&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2075

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 02:44:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 24 May 2023 06:44 UTC

On 5/23/2023 10:17 PM, boris@invalid.net wrote:
> [...]
> the
>>> HDD, which still won't boot but can be read from File Explorer.
>>>
>>> Boris
>>>

>> Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.
>>
>> Was this an installation that reset the pc to Dell's as-shipped factory
>> condition?
>> - If so, open Disk Management.
>> How many recovery partitions are present?
>> 1, 2, or more ?
>>

> Yes, this was a reset to the Dell as-shipped factory condition.
>
> I'm attaching (link) a screenshot of the original Disk Management display
> that shows the partitions of the Dell OEM install.
>
> Also attached is a screenshot of the Disk Management display immediately
> after the Dell factory reinstall.
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/6tz1h0W/1bbda616
>
> The only difference I see is in partition 4, which has increased from the

<u4nsfs$3h921$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2080&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2080

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 10:48:26 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 25 May 2023 14:48 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 14:57:15 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.
>
> We don't see many Johnny Carson references anymore. :-)

:)
Unless a device is relatively new and needs all those OEM as-shipped
features *and* still in warranty...resetting to factory almost always
ends up with an installation(doesn't matter is MSA or Local account)
with multiple Recovery partitions(the usual - OEM Recovery, OEM special
with H/W and S/W) and the Windows Recovery.
- the latter after a Win11 22H2 upgrade(in this case the device was a
Sept 2022 factory image which was most likely 21H2 since 22H2 wasn't
released until Oct 2022)
-i.e. a strong case for not resetting to factory but clean installing
Windows 22H2(already digitally licensed) and cutting off the 'slauson'
- i.e. setup the device with Win11 boot media and without all the OEM
stuff(factory Windows Recovery no longer useful since replaced by the
active Windows Recovery)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4pjb5$3tbs2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2082&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2082

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 02:24:36 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 26 May 2023 06:24 UTC

On 5/25/2023 10:48 AM, ...winston wrote:
> Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 14:57:15 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.
>>
>> We don't see many Johnny Carson references anymore. :-)
>>

> :)
> Unless a device is relatively new and needs all those OEM as-shipped features *and* still in warranty...resetting to factory almost always ends up with an installation(doesn't matter is MSA or Local account) with multiple Recovery partitions(the usual - OEM Recovery, OEM special with H/W and S/W) and the Windows Recovery.
>  - the latter after a Win11 22H2 upgrade(in this case the device was a Sept 2022 factory image which was most likely 21H2 since 22H2 wasn't released until Oct 2022)
>  -i.e. a strong case for not resetting to factory but clean installing Windows 22H2(already digitally licensed) and cutting off the 'slauson'
>  - i.e. setup the device with Win11 boot media and without all the OEM stuff(factory Windows Recovery no longer useful since replaced by the active Windows Recovery)

But you can clean up the multiple Recovery partitions of the Microsoft persuasion.

As it turns out, mine don't need to be cleaned up (they all have a job to do),
and at least one of them, appeared only recently (I didn't even notice until now) :-)

Just check your reagentc to see if a partition is currently in usage.

On occasion, I've had three of these things to the right of the OS partition,
two of them were duff, and I removed them. Check your reagentc after surgery
for correctness and freshness. If you collect the reagentc info from before,
you can use that to fix things up in the aftermath.

reagentc /info # My Win11 OS == WinRE emergency boot on Partition 4

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 964e2ef1-3a60-11ed-81d3-5cf3707d2fda
Recovery image location:
Recovery image index: 0
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

reagentc /info # My Win10 OS (dual boot) == WinRE emergency boot on Partition 6

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
Information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE
Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 5b3137c0-fa1b-11ed-9921-cbd762fc1987
Recovery image location:
Recovery image index: 0
Custom image location:
Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

And this is the partition setup.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/cHdRz9FX/partition-numbering-demo.gif

when you buy an OEM computer, I recommend a full backup as a first step.
Then, you have something to work with, if there is a "meltdown" in
succeeding days (one of your OPs is a disaster).

Paul

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u4qgmf$kqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2083&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2083

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 10:45:34 -0400
 by: ...winston - Fri, 26 May 2023 14:45 UTC

Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
>    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset
> configuration
>    Information:
>
>    Windows RE status:         Enabled
>    Windows RE location:
> \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE
>    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier:
> 5b3137c0-fa1b-11ed-9921-cbd762fc1987
>    Recovery image location:
>    Recovery image index:      0
>    Custom image location:
>    Custom image index:        0
>
>    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.
>
> And this is the partition setup.
>
>    [Picture]
>
>     https://i.postimg.cc/cHdRz9FX/partition-numbering-demo.gif
>
> when you buy an OEM computer, I recommend a full backup as a first step.
> Then, you have something to work with, if there is a "meltdown" in
> succeeding days (one of your OPs is a disaster).

Agreed. New OEM(retailer or byo) device full backup/image(first step,
before adding any application software. Repeat after config/tweak
Windows and Software installation.

'Cleanup' can be done
A high percentage of the subset population that performs a reset to OEM
factory is unlikely to cleanup multiple Recovery partitions(even the
smaller subset that made a full backup/image as a first step).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<XnsB019BCD645BE8nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2120&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2120

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:33:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:33 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:u4kbo3$2t9ch$1@dont-email.me:

> On 5/23/2023 10:17 PM, boris@invalid.net wrote:
>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:u4j2ab$2llpr$1@dont- email.me:

>> keys

>> then

>> Microsoft

>> tried

>> microsoft-

>> drive

>> solution,

>> when
>> tried
>> The
>> in.
>> think

>> SSD.
>> September,

>> used
>> the

>> the

>> it

>> OS,
>> the
>> There
>> folder,

>> permission
>> with
>> folder.

>> I'd
>> bite

>> the

>>> Glad the long route via the ' Slauson' cutoff worked.
>>>
>>> Was this an installation that reset the pc to Dell's as-shipped
>>> factory condition?
>>> - If so, open Disk Management.
>>> How many recovery partitions are present?
>>> 1, 2, or more ?
>>>

>> Yes, this was a reset to the Dell as-shipped factory condition.
>>
>> I'm attaching (link) a screenshot of the original Disk Management
>> display that shows the partitions of the Dell OEM install.
>>
>> Also attached is a screenshot of the Disk Management display
>> immediately after the Dell factory reinstall.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/6tz1h0W/1bbda616
>>
>> The only difference I see is in partition 4, which has increased from
>> the original 990 MB to 1.34 GB.
>>

> It seems to have borrowed about 360MB of space from the end of C: ,
> to make the partition next to it larger. Maybe it added drivers
> to the WinRE file in there ?
>
> I doubt there is that much to see.
>
> [Picture]
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/5tPmPmD1/testdisk-cgsecurity-org.gif
>
> The program is a bit hard to use. You do a deeper search
> and hit return before it finished, then cursor down and press P
> to list files. And that's the picture that would result.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<XnsB019BCFBD6DC6nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2121&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2121

From: nos...@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:34:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 01:34 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote in

> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:u4kbo3$2t9ch$1@dont-
email.me:

>> On 5/23/2023 10:17 PM, boris@invalid.net wrote:
>>> "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in
>>> news:u4j2ab$2llpr$1@dont- email.me:

>>> keys

>>> then

>>> Microsoft

>>> tried

>>> microsoft-

>>> drive

>>> solution,

>>> when
>>> tried
>>> The
>>> in.
>>> think

>>> SSD.
>>> September,

>>> used
>>> the

>>> the

>>> it

>>> OS,
>>> the
>>> There
>>> folder,

>>> permission
>>> with
>>> folder.

>>> I'd
>>> bite

>>> the

>>> Yes, this was a reset to the Dell as-shipped factory condition.
>>>
>>> I'm attaching (link) a screenshot of the original Disk Management
>>> display that shows the partitions of the Dell OEM install.
>>>
>>> Also attached is a screenshot of the Disk Management display
>>> immediately after the Dell factory reinstall.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/6tz1h0W/1bbda616
>>>
>>> The only difference I see is in partition 4, which has increased from
>>> the original 990 MB to 1.34 GB.
>>>

>> It seems to have borrowed about 360MB of space from the end of C: ,
>> to make the partition next to it larger. Maybe it added drivers
>> to the WinRE file in there ?
>>
>> I doubt there is that much to see.
>>
>> [Picture]
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/5tPmPmD1/testdisk-cgsecurity-org.gif
>>
>> The program is a bit hard to use. You do a deeper search
>> and hit return before it finished, then cursor down and press P
>> to list files. And that's the picture that would result.
>
> Yes, it is difficult to use, but here's my results of a deep search of
> Disk1, Partition 4, the partition in question. It means nothing when
Click here to read the complete article

Re: Windows 11 and Local Account?

<u5k0gn$9f9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2122&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2122

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 02:48:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 06:48 UTC

On 6/4/2023 9:34 PM, Boris wrote:

> https://postimg.cc/kDxK2Bnz

OK, so the Recovery partition has a winre.wim and
that's what the machine would boot using, if booting
from C: was not working.

Maybe there would be three files in there normally.

The "ReCustomize" file looks unusual, and perhaps
that is what was used to make a custom Windows image.

And the output file is larger than the ones Microsoft
uses. Perhaps there are extra Dell drivers ?

You can see at the bottom of that particular display,
you can highlight a file and press "c" to copy the file
somewhere. This allows extracting files like the
"ReCustomize" (Recovery Environment Customize) control
file, as well as copying winre.wim so you can open
it with 7ZIP for a look.

I assume ReCustomize is a text file (like an XML),
but you'll find out when you get there.

Paul