Tomorrow's computers some time next month. -- DEC

computers / alt.free.newsservers / Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous

SubjectAuthor
* Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are AnonymousTray Bushnell
+* Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are AnonymousBill W
|`- Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymousanonymous
`- Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymousanonymous

1
Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous

<tt5mo8$9fn$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2039&group=alt.free.newsservers#2039

From: tra...@bush.spam (Tray Bushnell)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Subject: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:28:54 -0600
 by: Tray Bushnell - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:28 UTC

What if ...

All the remailers have always been operated by blokes working for the
same principal.

All the Usenet servers have always been operated by blokes working for
the same principal?

What if the whole scene appears to be disparate, but all the nerd
flunkies running this scene have always been scheming together and
reporting to the same overseer? They would not even have to know that
their boss is the same boss as the boss of all the bosses of the others.

They might even think they are activists funded by a philanthropist.

A whole bunch of "privacy philanthropists" could all be working for the
man. Each philanthropist would fund people to run services. The services
would appear disconnected. Meanwhile the philanthropist could have
someone on staff providing back door access to correlate data from all
the separate services.

How would you know?

Hmm...

Could this be why several free servers quit at the same time?

Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous

<tt5n2b$2m4jf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2040&group=alt.free.newsservers#2040

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:31:53 +0000
 by: Bill W - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:31 UTC

On Feb 22, 2023, Tray Bushnell wrote (in article

> Could this be why several free servers quit at the same time?

When the free VPN services also go down, then we're really in trouble.

Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous

<tt8bb3$33emr$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2066&group=alt.free.newsservers#2066

From: anonym...@example.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:29:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: anonymous - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:29 UTC

On 22 Feb 2023, Tray Bushnell <tray@bush.spam> posted some

> What if ...
>
> All the remailers have always been operated by blokes working for the
> same principal.
>
> All the Usenet servers have always been operated by blokes working for
> the same principal?
>
> What if the whole scene appears to be disparate, but all the nerd
> flunkies running this scene have always been scheming together and
> reporting to the same overseer? They would not even have to know that
> their boss is the same boss as the boss of all the bosses of the others.
>
> They might even think they are activists funded by a philanthropist.
>
> A whole bunch of "privacy philanthropists" could all be working for the
> man. Each philanthropist would fund people to run services. The services
> would appear disconnected. Meanwhile the philanthropist could have
> someone on staff providing back door access to correlate data from all
> the separate services.
>
> How would you know?
>
> Hmm...
>
> Could this be why several free servers quit at the same time?

What size is your tin hat?

Re: Thought Experiment for those Who Think They are Anonymous

<tt8bb6$33emr$2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2067&group=alt.free.newsservers#2067

From: anonym...@example.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:29:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: anonymous - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:29 UTC

On 22 Feb 2023, Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> posted some

> On Feb 22, 2023, Tray Bushnell wrote (in article
>
>> Could this be why several free servers quit at the same time?
>
> When the free VPN services also go down, then we're really in trouble.

Nah. There's free wifi all over the place now and any idiot with an
iPhone hotspot can be compromised in about 10 seconds.