Computer programs expand so as to fill the core available.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Network usage with firefox and others

SubjectAuthor
* Network usage with firefox and othersMrde
+* Re: Network usage with firefox and othersiim maxwell
|`- Re: Network usage with firefox and othersEdmund
+- Re: Network usage with firefox and othersPaul
+* Re: Network usage with firefox and othersDex
|`* Re: Network usage with firefox and othersMike Easter
| `- Re: Network usage with firefox and othersMike Easter
`- Re: Network usage with firefox and othersAndrei Z.

1
Network usage with firefox and others

<si6apq$h51$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2057&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2057

From: Mrd...@Mrde.Mrde (Mrde)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Subject: Network usage with firefox and others
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 05:28:58 +0200
 by: Mrde - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 03:28 UTC

How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?

For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?

And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<t1z1J.66597$VZ1.58584@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2058&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2058

Subject: Re: Network usage with firefox and others
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
From: jwm...@yahoo.com (iim maxwell)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 22:30:16 -0600
 by: iim maxwell - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 04:30 UTC

On 9/18/21 9:28 PM, Mrde wrote:
> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>
> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>
> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?
Not that I am an expert, but I would have to say, "Google is your
friend" in finding results.

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<si6mt0$8jb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2059&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2059

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 02:55:28 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 06:55 UTC

Mrde wrote:
> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>
> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>
> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?

An example would be "nethogs".

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/261036/collecting-network-information

When you look at a number of web articles on the topic,
some people do not get good PID resolution on their
distro, making the displayed result almost useless.

This is just a guess on my part, but because some
lines are "unknown", the implication is that there
isn't a performance counter "sliced" the right way to
do this for the developer. Consequently, you can see
in the display, that some "grunting" is going on.
They're working too hard, to get a result.

The program shows a "rate", and does not total
the bytes in all the packets.

*******

As an example of a pretty good program, there is Wireshark,
which is a promiscuous receiver. A Wireshark trace has all
the information necessary to total up bytes of usage. *But*,
it cares not a fig where the traffic came from. It works at
the network spigot level, not at the process PID level.

Wireshark is a good program. I've used it on multiple
platforms, to debug network related issues. I even keep
track of situations on my USENET client with it at times
(server down). But... it just isn't the right program
for the job in this case. Sure, human operators can tell,
from the fact only one browser is running, and some traffic
is going to port 80, and the protocol looks like HTTP, then
yes, that's probably a browser. Or, maybe not. But based
on knowledge the operator has, the operator can kinda guess
which packets belong where.

This is not good enough, when writing programs.

In the Google pages I looked at so far, I'm not seeing
a slicing that way. Total traffic per pid.

*******

OK, this is getting a bit better.

"Nethogs" is mentioned again, but there are others.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/2411/how-do-i-find-out-which-process-is-eating-up-my-bandwidth

sudo apt-get install ntop
http://packages.ntop.org/

*******

$ sudo apt install dstat
then
$ dstat --net --top-io-adv <=== does it need sudo to ID all PIDs ???

You'll have to try some of those out, then report back
which one worked for you, so future users will know
this answer :-)

The jumbo articles actually missed some in this case.
Lots of programs do the easy stuff, only a few do
the hard stuff.

Paul

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<si6pqe$182i$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2060&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2060

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:45:18 +0200
 by: Edmund - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 07:45 UTC

On 9/19/21 6:30 AM, iim maxwell wrote:
> On 9/18/21 9:28 PM, Mrde wrote:
>> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>>
>> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>>
>> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?
> Not that I am an expert, but I would have to say, "Google is your
> friend" in finding results.

Well actually google isn't a friend.

--
“The further a society drift from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<si7crl$v83$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2061&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2061

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:10:13 +0100
 by: Dex - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 13:10 UTC

On 19/09/2021 04:28, Mrde wrote:
> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>
> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>
> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?

AppNetworkCounter

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_network_counter.html

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<iqp4qnFnsqtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2063&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2063

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:55:02 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:55 UTC

Dex wrote:
> Mrde wrote:
>> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>>
>> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>>
>> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?
>
> AppNetworkCounter
>
> https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_network_counter.html

Win

> AppNetworkCounter is a simple tool for Windows that counts and
> displays the number of TCP/UDP bytes and packets sent and received by
> every application on your system.
Taking the above to alternative.to shows only bitmeter for linux

Free • Open Source
Mac
Windows
Linux

https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeteros

--
Mike Easter

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<iqp5icFo0rhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2064&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2064

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:07:39 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:07 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
>> AppNetworkCounter

> Taking the above to alternative.to shows only bitmeter for linux

Taking ANC to topalter also shows NetWorx for linux; but the networx
site only says Win & Mac.

Another site mentions nethogs again and also NTM

http://luigit.altervista.org/netramon/eng/index.html NTM - Network
Traffic Monitor

--
Mike Easter

Re: Network usage with firefox and others

<si7ph1$18hl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2067&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2067

From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:46:25 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:46 UTC

Mrde wrote:
> How can I find network usage and bandwidth for any software?
>
> For example, how many firefox use, chrome, any software?
>
> And is it possible for monitoring in realtime?

NetHogs
https://github.com/raboof/nethogs

"Instead of breaking the traffic down per protocol or per subnet, like
most tools do, it groups bandwidth by process."

Running without root
https://github.com/raboof/nethogs#running-without-root

links
https://github.com/raboof/nethogs#links