Killing is stupid; useless! -- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Multiple windows

SubjectAuthor
* Multiple windowsRobH
`* Re: Multiple windowsMike Easter
 `* Re: Multiple windowsRobH
  `* Re: Multiple windowsMike Easter
   `* Re: Multiple windowsRobH
    `* Re: Multiple windowsMike Easter
     `* Re: Multiple windowsRobH
      `* Re: Multiple windowsMike Easter
       `* Re: Multiple windowsRobH
        `- Re: Multiple windowsMike Easter

1
Multiple windows

<iqp42cFnocpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2062&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2062

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Multiple windows
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:42:04 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 15:42 UTC

I closed down multiple windows earlier, not thinking what it actually
meant. I had multiple home folders showing in the task bar or panel, and
just though it would close them, but it closed everthing.

How do I get the multiple windows thing up again so I can see what is
minimised on the task bar.

Presently nothing is!

Re: Multiple windows

<iqp6bsFo6ldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2065&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2065

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Multiple windows
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:21:15 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:21 UTC

RobH wrote:
> I closed down multiple windows earlier, not thinking what it actually
> meant. I had multiple home folders showing in the task bar or panel, and
> just though it would close them, but it closed everthing.
>
> How do I get the multiple windows thing up again so I can see what is
> minimised on the task bar.
>
> Presently nothing is

I'm trying to do some guessing here at exactly what you are talking about.

This is a Linux Mint ng, so I'll guess that is the distro you are asking
about. I'll also assume Cinnamon DE as it is the flagship. A LM Cinn I
have handy is 20.1 + Cinn 4.8.5.

On mine, the default for 'Grouped window list' - General tab - 'Group
windows by application' is on/active. I accessed that toggle by R click
the Folder/Files icon and selecting Preferences and then the submenu
Configure.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Multiple windows

<iqp7a3FobvvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2066&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2066

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:37:23 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:37 UTC

On 19/09/2021 17:21, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> I closed down multiple windows earlier, not thinking what it actually
>> meant. I had multiple home folders showing in the task bar or panel,
>> and just though it would close them, but it closed everthing.
>>
>> How do I get the multiple windows thing up again so I can see what is
>> minimised on the task bar.
>>
>> Presently nothing is
>
> I'm trying to do some guessing here at exactly what you are talking about.
>
> This is a Linux Mint ng, so I'll guess that is the distro you are asking
> about.  I'll also assume Cinnamon DE as it is the flagship. A LM Cinn I
> have handy is 20.1 + Cinn 4.8.5.
>
> On mine, the default for 'Grouped window list' - General tab - 'Group
> windows by application' is on/active.  I accessed that toggle by R click
> the Folder/Files icon and selecting Preferences and then the submenu
> Configure.

Yes, I know it is a Linux Mint NG and that is what I am using, the
Cinnamon version.

On my panel or taskbar as I still call it, there were multiple windows,
notably the home folder as well a terminal window and others.
I was getting a bit annoyed with the multiple home folders, as I
couldn't get them all to open up on my desktop at the same time. It took
a bit of clicking etc to do it. In my majesty I decided I would remove ,
by right clicking and seeing the option in a context menu, the said
windows. Now I want them back.

Is it in system settings somewhere.

Thanks

Re: Multiple windows

<iqp844FognjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2068&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2068

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:51:15 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:51 UTC

RobH wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>> On mine, the default for 'Grouped window list' - General tab - 'Group
>> windows by application' is on/active.  I accessed that toggle by R
>> click the Folder/Files icon and selecting Preferences and then the
>> submenu Configure.
>
> On my panel or taskbar as I still call it, there were multiple windows,
> notably the home folder as well a terminal window and others.
> I was getting a bit annoyed with the multiple home folders, as I
> couldn't get them all to open up on my desktop at the same time. It took
> a bit of clicking etc to do it. In my majesty I decided I would remove ,
> by right clicking and seeing the option in a context menu, the said
> windows. Now I want them back.
>
> Is it in system settings somewhere.

So; are you saying that the above setting for group window list and
group windows by application is NOT what you want?

I don't see that setting in my system settings.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Multiple windows

<iqp8ekFoidgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2069

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:56:52 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:56 UTC

On 19/09/2021 17:51, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>>> On mine, the default for 'Grouped window list' - General tab - 'Group
>>> windows by application' is on/active.  I accessed that toggle by R
>>> click the Folder/Files icon and selecting Preferences and then the
>>> submenu Configure.
>>
>> On my panel or taskbar as I still call it, there were multiple
>> windows, notably the home folder as well a terminal window and others.
>> I was getting a bit annoyed with the multiple home folders, as I
>> couldn't get them all to open up on my desktop at the same time. It
>> took a bit of clicking etc to do it. In my majesty I decided I would
>> remove , by right clicking and seeing the option in a context menu,
>> the said windows. Now I want them back.
>>
>> Is it in system settings somewhere.
>>
> So; are you saying that the above setting for group window list and
> group windows by application is NOT what you want?
>
> I don't see that setting in my system settings.

No, I didn't before, but I want them back again, but I can't find where
or how to get grouped windows back again.

What general tab do you mean. Maybe my setup is different from yours??

Re: Multiple windows

<iqp9faFoocaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2070&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2070

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 10:14:17 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:14 UTC

RobH wrote:
> What general tab do you mean. Maybe my setup is different from yours??

On my system, I have a file/folder icon in my taskbar (for Nemo).

If I R click that icon, I get a context menu.

One of the items in that context menu is Preferences, which has a
submenu w/ About, Configure, and Remove Grouped Window list.

If I select Configure, the window's title bar says Grouped Window list
and it has 4 tab sections: General, Panel, Thumbnails and Context menu.
The default one open is General. The first item in its list is Group
Windows by application, which on mine is active/on.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Multiple windows

<iqpb1tFp1okU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2071&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2071

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:41:17 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:41 UTC

On 19/09/2021 18:14, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> What general tab do you mean. Maybe my setup is different from yours??
>
> On my system, I have a file/folder icon in my taskbar (for Nemo).
>
> If I R click that icon, I get a context menu.
>
> One of the items in that context menu is Preferences, which has a
> submenu w/ About, Configure, and Remove Grouped Window list.
>
> If I select Configure, the window's title bar says Grouped Window list
> and it has 4 tab sections: General, Panel, Thumbnails and Context menu.
> The default one open is General.  The first item in its list is Group
> Windows by application, which on mine is active/on.

Got it now thanks
I googled it and found that I had to get the welcome screen up and then
select modern.
Now I have all my windows back up in the taskbar.

Re: Multiple windows

<iqpbgqFp54tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2072&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2072

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 10:49:13 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:49 UTC

RobH wrote:
> I googled it and found that I had to get the welcome screen up and then
> select modern.

Ohhh. I see that Traditional vs Modern in the welcome/help, but that
doesn't explain how you accidentally lost it. I suppose you are saying
that somehow you are able to flip from Modern to traditional w/o going
to the welcome/help function. Or something else.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Multiple windows

<iqpc8lFp96rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2073&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2073

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 19:01:56 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:01 UTC

On 19/09/2021 18:49, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> I googled it and found that I had to get the welcome screen up and
>> then select modern.
>
> Ohhh.  I see that Traditional vs Modern in the welcome/help, but that
> doesn't explain how you accidentally lost it.  I suppose you are saying
> that somehow you are able to flip from Modern to traditional w/o going
> to the welcome/help function.  Or something else.

I selected or hovered over the multiple files window and then right
click for a context menu I then selected 'prefernces' then 'remove group
windows'
I only did it thinking it was just the files windows it would remove,
but it removed everything, doh!

Re: Multiple windows

<iqpci1Fp9qsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2074&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2074

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 11:06:57 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:06 UTC

RobH wrote:
> I selected or hovered over the multiple files window and then right
> click for a context menu I then selected 'prefernces' then 'remove group
> windows'
> I only did it thinking it was just the files windows it would remove,
> but it removed everything, doh!

Ohh. I almost did that to see what would happen; I'm glad I didn't; it
is a devious path to get back apparently.

--
Mike Easter