She won' go Warp 7, Cap'n! The batteries are dead!

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you installJolly Roger
 +* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Aalan
 |`- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you installJolly Roger
 `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  +* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AAndy Burnelli
  |+- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |`* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AScott Lurndal
  | `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install fromAlan Browne
  |  `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple ARonTheGuy
  |   +* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install fromAlan Browne
  |   |`* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple ARonTheGuy
  |   | +* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install fromAlan Browne
  |   | |`* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple ARonTheGuy
  |   | | +- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |   | | `- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install fromAlan Browne
  |   | `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |   |  `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AScott Lurndal
  |   |   `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |   |    `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AScott Lurndal
  |   |     `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |   |      `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AScott Lurndal
  |   |       `- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |   `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  |    `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple ANeil
  |     `- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple Anospam
  `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you installJolly Roger
   `* Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple AAndy Burnelli
    `- Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you installJolly Roger

Pages:12
Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2083&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2083

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 05:59:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 05:59 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> anti-piracy.
>>
>> If it's for anti-piracy, then you have to ask why do even the many free
>> unrestricted apps get that unique number that Apple uses only for you?
>
> i don't have to ask anything, because unlike you, i know the answer.

That lame excuse of "piracy" is preposterous for free unrestricted apps.

Only a fool would claim Apple inserted the *unique tracking ID* for any
purpose other than to *track your activities* given _nobody_ else does this
but Apple. Not Windows. Not Linux. Not Android. Nobody. Just Apple.

*Only Apple inserts unique tracking tied directly to you into _every_ app*

Piracy isn't even possible for unrestricted free apps, nospam.
That you're completely unaware of that basic fact is no longer shocking.

What nospam _hates_ is he actually does know _why_ only Apple inserts a
unique tracking ID tied exclusively to you, into every app you install.

*Even Google and Microsoft don't stoop that low, nospam*

The problem for nospam is he can't come up with any other excuse for why.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2084&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2084

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Subject: Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install
from the Apple App Store?
Date: 12 Mar 2023 17:20:37 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:20 UTC

On 2023-03-12, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> If it's for anti-piracy, then you have to ask why do even the many
>>> free unrestricted apps get that unique number that Apple uses only
>>> for you?
>>
>> i don't have to ask anything, because unlike you, i know the answer.
>
> That lame excuse of "piracy" is preposterous for free unrestricted
> apps.

Wrong, since most free apps have optional in-app purchases which
naturally require a valid App Store account in order to work.

> Only a fool would claim Apple inserted the *unique tracking ID* for
> any

As you well know, it's not a tracking ID. You're lying as usual in order
to troll.

JR

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tul203$35gh9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2085&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2085

From: bitbuc...@nospam.com (alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:26:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alan - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:26 UTC

On 12 Mar 2023 17:20:37 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Wrong, since most free apps have optional in-app purchases which
> naturally require a valid App Store account in order to work.

How is that any different than a free app on Android from Google Play?
Why do you think Google doesn't insert a unique tracking id like Apple?

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<k76idgFou7hU8@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2086&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2086

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
from the Apple App Store?
Date: 12 Mar 2023 18:02:24 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:02 UTC

On 2023-03-12, alan <bitbucket@nospam.com> wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2023 17:20:37 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Wrong, since most free apps have optional in-app purchases which
>> naturally require a valid App Store account in order to work.
>
> How is that any different than a free app on Android from Google Play?
> Why do you think Google doesn't insert a unique tracking id like
> Apple?

How do you know Google doesn't?

JR

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2087&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2087

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:07:01 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:07 UTC

In article <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> i don't have to ask anything, because unlike you, i know the answer.
> >
> > That lame excuse of "piracy" is preposterous for free unrestricted
> > apps.
>
> Wrong, since most free apps have optional in-app purchases which
> naturally require a valid App Store account in order to work.

true, but the reason goes back before in-app purchases (another ios
first that the trolls ignore).

developers set the price of their apps, which can change at any time
for any reason, most commonly for promotional purposes.

that means that a paid app can instantly become a free app and a free
app can instantly become a paid app.

it should be obvious why it works the way it does, at least to those
who aren't trolls.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2088&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2088

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:17:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:17 UTC

nospam wrote:

> it should be obvious why it works the way it does, at least to those

You're right it should be obvious why _only Apple_ does this.
Nobody else.

Not Google.
Not M$.
*Just Apple*

HINT: *Only Apple inserts a unique-to-you ID into _every_ single app*.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<k76qgsFqjm5U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2089&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2089

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
from the Apple App Store?
Date: 12 Mar 2023 20:20:45 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:20 UTC

On 2023-03-12, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > That lame excuse of "piracy" is preposterous for free unrestricted
>> > apps.
>>
>> Wrong, since most free apps have optional in-app purchases which
>> naturally require a valid App Store account in order to work.
>
> true, but the reason goes back before in-app purchases (another ios
> first that the trolls ignore).
>
> developers set the price of their apps, which can change at any time
> for any reason, most commonly for promotional purposes.
>
> that means that a paid app can instantly become a free app and a free
> app can instantly become a paid app.
>
> it should be obvious why it works the way it does, at least to those
> who aren't trolls.

Indeed. This entire thread is a troll by the usual resident trolls.

JR

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<120320231621358321%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2090&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2090

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:21:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:21 UTC

In article <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> > it should be obvious why it works the way it does, at least to those
>
> You're right it should be obvious why _only Apple_ does this.

it's not just apple, and you're admitting you aren't smart enough to
understand why.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2091&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2091

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:22:18 +0200
Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:22 UTC

Andy Burnelli writes:

> nospam wrote:
>
>> it should be obvious why it works the way it does, at least to those
>
> You're right it should be obvious why _only Apple_ does this.
> Nobody else.
>
> Not Google.
> Not M$.
> *Just Apple*
>
> HINT: *Only Apple inserts a unique-to-you ID into _every_ single app*.

If apple is tracking you and using that data for profit, then it's no
wonder they're more profitable than Google or Microsoft who doesn't benefit
from tracking activities by the app actions you make of your own free will.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tuld49$26vqi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2092&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2092

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:36:39 +0200
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:36 UTC

Jolly Roger wrote:

> This entire thread is a troll

It's clear you are _desperate_ for this question of fact to be deflected.
...Hence...
You call all factual questions you _hate_ about Apple, a troll Jolly Roger.

Apple is a religion to you... and therefore, you _hate_ all facts about it.
In fact, you _fear_ this fact, don't you Jolly Roger...

*What you fear are facts*

You hate facts.
You fear facts.

And yet, you have no adult defense to the fact this is, indeed, a fact!
*What you _hate_ is the fact that Apple _is_ doing this.*

You can't deny that fact.
As much as you _wish_ you could deny it.
You can't.

So all you _can_ do, Jolly Roger, is fear facts and hate facts.
*All true facts that you _hate_ about Apple*
*You call a troll*

FACT:
You have no defense to the fact that it _is_ a fact Apple does this.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2093&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2093

Subject: Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from
the Apple App Store?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:37:52 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 20:37 UTC

On 2023-03-12 16:22, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> If apple is tracking you and using that data for profit, then it's no

They're not. Stated publicly. And as a publicly traded company that has
consequences if a lie.

> wonder they're more profitable than Google or Microsoft who doesn't benefit

They are a fantastically popular brand and they are vertically
integrated (and more and more so with each passing few years). They
command premium prices and realize high margins.

They don't need to "traffic" in their client's data because the product
is the physical thing they sell.

> from tracking activities by the app actions you make of your own free will.

There are so many companies attempting to track you via your use of your
phone (and other devices) that your head should spin. This includes on
Apple devices and is why Apple put in as many roadblocks to such as they
can manage.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<k76tabFr5jbU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2094

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
from the Apple App Store?
Date: 12 Mar 2023 21:08:27 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:08 UTC

On 2023-03-12, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> This entire thread is a troll
>
> It's clear you are _desperate_ for this question of fact to be deflected.
> ...Hence...
> You call all factual questions you _hate_ about Apple, a troll Jolly Roger.
>
> Apple is a religion to you... and therefore, you _hate_ all facts about it.
> In fact, you _fear_ this fact, don't you Jolly Roger...
>
> *What you fear are facts*
>
> You hate facts.
> You fear facts.
>
> And yet, you have no adult defense to the fact this is, indeed, a fact!
> *What you _hate_ is the fact that Apple _is_ doing this.*
>
> You can't deny that fact.
> As much as you _wish_ you could deny it.
> You can't.
>
> So all you _can_ do, Jolly Roger, is fear facts and hate facts.
>
> *All true facts that you _hate_ about Apple*
> *You call a troll*
>
> FACT:
> You have no defense to the fact that it _is_ a fact Apple does this.

....says the loser who literally has no life outside of trolling.

JR

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2095&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2095

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:53:28 +0530
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad>
 by: RonTheGuy - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 22:23 UTC

On Mar 13, 2023, Alan Browne wrote
(in article<news:BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad>):

>> If apple is tracking you and using that data for profit, then it's no
>
> They're not. Stated publicly. And as a publicly traded company that has
> consequences if a lie.

Apple tells a lot of lies. And Apple gets caught a lot for their lies.
Apple just has the means to pay for their lies when they do get caught.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2096&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2096

the Apple App Store?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:02:26 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:02 UTC

On 2023-03-12 18:23, RonTheGuy wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2023, Alan Browne wrote
> (in article<news:BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad>):
>
>>> If apple is tracking you and using that data for profit, then it's no
>>
>> They're not. Stated publicly. And as a publicly traded company that has
>> consequences if a lie.
>
> Apple tells a lot of lies. And Apple gets caught a lot for their lies.
> Apple just has the means to pay for their lies when they do get caught.

Working on my backhand: So.

Show us where Apple are "tracking you and using that data for profit".

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<120320231902307623%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2097&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2097

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:02:30 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org>
 by: nospam - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:02 UTC

In article <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org>, RonTheGuy
<ron@null.invalid> wrote:

> Apple tells a lot of lies. And Apple gets caught a lot for their lies.

that is simply false.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tunbe7$3ptre$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2098&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2098

From: nei...@myplaceofwork.com (Neil)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:20:05 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <120320231902307623%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Neil - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:20 UTC

On 3/12/2023 7:02 PM, nospam wrote:
>> Apple tells a lot of lies. And Apple gets caught a lot for their lies.
>
> that is simply false.

Saying those billions in lawsuit settlements were not admissions of lies is
true but there isn't anyone (not even Apple) who believes that but you.
--
best regards,

Neil

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2099&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2099

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:23:44 -0800
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad>
 by: RonTheGuy - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:23 UTC

On Mar 12, 2023, Alan Browne wrote
(in article<news:7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad>):

> Show us where Apple are "tracking you and using that data for profit".

I wasn't saying Apple tracks us. I was disagreeing that Apple doesn't lie.

The only difference between nospam lying & Apple lying is when Apple gets
sued, they have enough money to settle lawsuits without admitting guilt.

As for tracking, I don't know why only Apple puts the id in the apps but
it's not because they're worried that free apps may not get their money.

There is a reason. And it's special to Apple alone. But I don't know why.
Why do you think only Apple adds your id number into every app you install?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<130320231028434439%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2100&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2100

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:28:43 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <120320231902307623%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tunbe7$3ptre$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:28 UTC

In article <tunbe7$3ptre$1@dont-email.me>, Neil
<neil@myplaceofwork.com> wrote:

> those billions in lawsuit settlements were not admissions of lies

correct

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<8DGPL.228202$ZnFc.10280@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2101&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2101

the Apple App Store?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:42:12 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:42 UTC

On 2023-03-13 10:23, RonTheGuy wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2023, Alan Browne wrote
> (in article<news:7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad>):
>
>> Show us where Apple are "tracking you and using that data for profit".
>
> I wasn't saying Apple tracks us. I was disagreeing that Apple doesn't lie.
>
> The only difference between nospam lying & Apple lying is when Apple gets
> sued, they have enough money to settle lawsuits without admitting guilt.

What have Apple lied about wrt to tracking people? Please cite.

That is the issue at hand. So put up or drop it.

> As for tracking, I don't know why only Apple puts the id in the apps but
> it's not because they're worried that free apps may not get their money.

How do you know that?

Funny line of argument. You don't understand why Apple do something,
assert it's not for some reasonable reason, so therefore it's for tracking?

> There is a reason. And it's special to Apple alone. But I don't know why.
> Why do you think only Apple adds your id number into every app you install?

How do you know what the tag value is your id number? There would be no
need to do that since the phone is linked to your Apple account in order
to DL and install apps.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2102&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2102

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:49:48 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org>
 by: nospam - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:49 UTC

In article <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org>, RonTheGuy
<ron@null.invalid> wrote:

> Why do you think only Apple adds your id number into every app you install?

it ain't just apple.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2103&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2103

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:04:58 +0200
Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org> <130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:04 UTC

nospam writes:

>> Why do you think only Apple adds your id number into every app you install?
>
> it ain't just apple.

You keep alluding to a mysterious force that is what caused Apple to do it.
Your unique id is not in all your free Android apps or in Windows programs.

If you're going to claim they're doing the same as Apple, then show proof.
What other operating system puts your unique identifier in all free apps?

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<130320231112203493%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2104&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2104

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:12:20 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org> <130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:12 UTC

In article <tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me>, Scott Lurndal
<scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> If you're going to claim they're doing the same as Apple, then show proof.

microsoft has been doing it since at least the 1980s. other companies
also do it.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tuniuo$3rbub$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2105&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2105

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:28:22 +0200
Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org> <130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me> <130320231112203493%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:28 UTC

nospam writes:

>> If you're going to claim they're doing the same as Apple, then show proof.
>
> microsoft has been doing it since at least the 1980s.

I recently updated IrfanView which is a free program on Microsoft Windows.
https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

How did Microsoft edit the installed code of that free app to add it?

> other companies also do it.

Which "other" operating systems insert a unique to me id into *every free
app that I install onto that "other" operating system, please?

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<130320231428370969%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2106&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2106

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:28:37 -0400
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org> <130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me> <130320231112203493%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tuniuo$3rbub$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 18:28 UTC

In article <tuniuo$3rbub$1@dont-email.me>, Scott Lurndal
<scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> I recently updated IrfanView which is a free program on Microsoft Windows.

that's nice. hopefully you enjoy it.

Re: Why does Apple insert a unique id into each app you install from the Apple App Store?

<tuo6h1$3up5t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2107&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2107

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,alt.privacy
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 00:02:24 +0200
Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
References: <tu7fgv$27h9$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tuivjl$1qcen$1@paganini.bofh.team> <110320231749208820%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujeqg$2so5p$1@dont-email.me> <110320232228277412%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tujpn0$21jse$1@paganini.bofh.team> <k76fv5Fou7hU5@mid.individual.net> <120320231407013886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tulc02$26sad$1@paganini.bofh.team> <tulc9c$378st$1@dont-email.me> <BKqPL.1400567$iS99.1124958@fx16.iad> <1ltx5w32jh63w$.dlg@news.solani.org> <7SsPL.1886361$GNG9.1136399@fx18.iad> <v9zbrhvmb0og.dlg@news.solani.org> <130320231049482265%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tune2c$3qed0$1@dont-email.me> <130320231112203493%nospam@nospam.invalid> <tuniuo$3rbub$1@dont-email.me> <130320231428370969%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:02 UTC

nospam writes:

>> I recently updated IrfanView which is a free program on Microsoft Windows.
>
> that's nice. hopefully you enjoy it.

From that I'll accept your admission that only apple inserts the unique to
you identification into every app, even free apps, that you install & use.

I don't know why only Apple does it, only that it's only Apple who does it.

As for why, since you are the only one with that unique identifier, it's to
track something about you specifically, but I can't say what Apple tracks.