Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 15:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: IBM PS/2 model 55sx. Mark Dodel has found the solution.
From: ibmmus...@gmail.com (IBMMuseum)
 by: IBMMuseum - Wed, 4 May 2022 22:29 UTC

I'm reviving a necro-thread because this needs coverage again - specifically because we are now in a situation where the DS1287 modules have been modified for an external battery or replaced with a third-party equivalent:

> I have exactly the same problem with a 55SX. Only in my case
> I was trying to install OS/2 on it. The install progressed tto the
> first reboot and then couldn't boot off the drive. What's weird
> is that it manages to copy all the files to the drive during the
> installation, so it does see the drive, it just won't boot from it.

> Aron suggested the following, but I haven't had a chance to try
> it yet. I have to look for a DOS floppy to boot from. If you try
> this and it works please post it here.
>
> "I did some searching on the 55sx problem after replacing the
> Dallas RTC chip, and found one suggestion that says you need
> to clear the CMOS before the configuration will take.
>
> The method is to boot from a floopy, run DEBUG, and type
>
> o 70 13
> o 71 00
>
> Then run the reference diskette and autoconfigure again."

This "solution" seemed to propagate after someone said they swapped in a still-sealed Dallas module from a clone to get their 55SX working again (so, of course, the CMOS contents are wrong for the system) - it's also replicated on the 55SX page. I would like to work towards modernizing how this is stated - just pull the battery to clear the CMOS on the system.