The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

computers / comp.os.vms / Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

SubjectAuthor
* Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Simon Clubley
+- Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Bill Gunshannon
+* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Dave Froble
> [...]
|     | +- Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Arne Vajhøj
|     | `* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Bill Gunshannon
|     |  `* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Dave Froble
|     |   `* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Arne Vajhøj
|     |    `- Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Arne Vajhøj
|     `- Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Richard Maher
`* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Simon Clubley
 `* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Arne Vajhøj
  `* Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Simon Clubley
   `- Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?Arne Vajhøj

Pages:12
Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<j79socF3fg8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20899&group=comp.os.vms#20899

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 10:36:44 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:36 UTC

On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
> In article <69d0b812-0d53-42b6-af62-b0317973dfc9n@googlegroups.com>,
> xyzzy1959@gmail.com (John Reagan) wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 2:28:46 PM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon
>>> I can't understand the interest in HP-UX at all. It's just
>>> another proprietary Unix and not really one of the better ones.
>> Big endian
>
> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>
> John

What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?

bill

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<suofus$14r$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20903&group=comp.os.vms#20903

From: cro...@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:02:36 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: cross@spitfire.i.gajendra.net (Dan Cross)
 by: Dan Cross - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:02 UTC

In article <j79socF3fg8U1@mid.individual.net>,
Bill Gunshannon <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>> In article <69d0b812-0d53-42b6-af62-b0317973dfc9n@googlegroups.com>,
>> xyzzy1959@gmail.com (John Reagan) wrote:
>>> On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 2:28:46 PM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon
>>> Big endian
>>
>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>
>What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?

You'd be shocked. A Very Large Tech Company tried to move
to BE Power from x86, and the project repeatedly failed because
of baked-in LE assumptions. It's even worse than assumptions
about memory models.

- Dan C.

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<620fc34a$0$701$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20904&group=comp.os.vms#20904

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:03:14 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:03 UTC

On 2/18/2022 10:36 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>> In article <69d0b812-0d53-42b6-af62-b0317973dfc9n@googlegroups.com>,
>> xyzzy1959@gmail.com (John Reagan) wrote:
>>> On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 2:28:46 PM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon
>>> Big endian
>>
>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>
> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?

Bad/ugly code may only work with specific endianess.

External data whether files or network protocols expecting
a specific endianess. One could argue that all such code should
use conversion functions between target and host to make
the code portable, but a lot of code is not doing that.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<620fe2e3$0$704$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20909&group=comp.os.vms#20909

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:18:03 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:18 UTC

On 2/18/2022 11:03 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 2/18/2022 10:36 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>>>
>>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>>
>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>
> Bad/ugly code may only work with specific endianess.
>
> External data whether files or network protocols expecting
> a specific endianess. One could argue that all such code should
> use conversion functions between target and host to make
> the code portable, but a lot of code is not doing that.

As an anecdotal example: note that GNU Cobol default to
big endian on Linux and Windows x86-64.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<j7a9idF5tfpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20912&group=comp.os.vms#20912

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:15:25 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:15 UTC

On 2/18/22 13:18, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 2/18/2022 11:03 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>>
>> Bad/ugly code may only work with specific endianess.
>>
>> External data whether files or network protocols expecting
>> a specific endianess. One could argue that all such code should
>> use conversion functions between target and host to make
>> the code portable, but a lot of code is not doing that.
>
> As an anecdotal example: note that GNU Cobol default to
> big endian on Linux and Windows x86-64.

But what difference does the internal storage make? COBOL can write
out all the numbers in the same format we humans read them thus
eliminating any concerns for endianess when exchanging data. :-)

bill

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<620ff22b$0$693$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20913&group=comp.os.vms#20913

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:23:15 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:23 UTC

On 2/18/2022 2:15 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 2/18/22 13:18, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> Bad/ugly code may only work with specific endianess.
>>>
>>> External data whether files or network protocols expecting
>>> a specific endianess. One could argue that all such code should
>>> use conversion functions between target and host to make
>>> the code portable, but a lot of code is not doing that.
>>
>> As an anecdotal example: note that GNU Cobol default to
>> big endian on Linux and Windows x86-64.
>
> But what difference does the internal storage make?  COBOL can write
> out all the numbers in the same format we humans read them thus
> eliminating any concerns for endianess when exchanging data.  :-)

Internal storage does not matter for nice correct code. Internal
storage can matter for bad incorrect code.

It matters for external interfaces. And even though it is
possible to do all external interface using text format, then
the reality is that a lot of data is exchanged or stored in
binary format.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<3edbfcbf-535b-484a-a4f5-7ddce52bfcban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20919&group=comp.os.vms#20919

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 10:05:36 -0800 (PST)
From: xyzzy1...@gmail.com (John Reagan)
 by: John Reagan - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 18:05 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
> > In article <69d0b812-0d53-42b6...@googlegroups.com>,
> > xyzz...@gmail.com (John Reagan) wrote:
> >> On Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 2:28:46 PM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon
> >> Big endian
> >
> > What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
> >
> > John
> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>
> bill
<Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>

Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in another with bytes? Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<surhfs$jt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20922&group=comp.os.vms#20922

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:47:16 -0500
 by: Dave Froble - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 19:47 UTC

On 2/19/2022 1:05 PM, John Reagan wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>>>
>>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>>>
>>> John
>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>>
>> bill
> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>
> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in another with bytes? Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?

COMMON, MAP, RECORD, yeah, many times.

MAP (M) Long L
MAP (M) STRING S=4

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<6211951a$0$695$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20927&group=comp.os.vms#20927

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 20:10:40 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 01:10 UTC

On 2/19/2022 1:05 PM, John Reagan wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>>>
>>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>>>
>>> John
>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>>
> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>
> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in another with bytes? Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?

I would use EQUIVALENCE and not COMMON for that, but it could be done
with COMMON.

But yes - the feature exists in most languages. Fortran, C, Pascal.
Also VMS Basic map dynamic and Cobol redefines.

Surprisingly the language where I have done itt most frequently is C#.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<suse5h$4a0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20930&group=comp.os.vms#20930

From: maher_rj...@hotmail.com (Richard Maher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:56:35 +0800
 by: Richard Maher - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 03:56 UTC

On 20/02/2022 2:05 am, John Reagan wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-5, Bill Gunshannon
> wrote:
>> On 2/18/22 09:12, John Dallman wrote:
>>>
>>> What makes big-endian attractive to end-user organisations?
>>>
>>> John
>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>>
>> bill
> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>
> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in
> another with bytes? Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?

.. . . or COBOL REDEFINES

Say it John! Go on say it :-)

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<j7fggrF5rroU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20937&group=comp.os.vms#20937

From: han...@bachner.priv.at (Hans Bachner)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:44:40 +0100
 by: Hans Bachner - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:44 UTC

Arne Vajhøj schrieb am 20.02.2022 um 02:10:
> On 2/19/2022 1:05 PM, John Reagan wrote:

>>> What real difference does endianess make to anyone today?
>>>
>> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>>
>> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in
>> another with bytes?  Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?
>
> I would use EQUIVALENCE and not COMMON for that, but it could be done
> with COMMON.

EQUIVALENCE is usually used when you need access to both definitions
within the same program unit. (Named) COMMON can be used to use
different definitions for the same memory area in different program units.

Hans.

> [...]

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<62128fa0$0$702$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20938&group=comp.os.vms#20938

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:59:44 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:59 UTC

On 2/20/2022 1:44 PM, Hans Bachner wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj schrieb am 20.02.2022 um 02:10:
>> On 2/19/2022 1:05 PM, John Reagan wrote:

>>> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>>>
>>> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in
>>> another with bytes?  Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?
>>
>> I would use EQUIVALENCE and not COMMON for that, but it could be done
>> with COMMON.
>
> EQUIVALENCE is usually used when you need access to both definitions
> within the same program unit. (Named) COMMON can be used to use
> different definitions for the same memory area in different program units.

Yes.

But I still think for Fortran the EQUIVALENCE is the most
equivalent (!) to C union and Pascal variant record.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<j7fmobF6vs5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20942&group=comp.os.vms#20942

From: bill.gun...@gmail.com (Bill Gunshannon)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:31:07 -0500
 by: Bill Gunshannon - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:31 UTC

On 2/20/22 13:44, Hans Bachner wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj schrieb am 20.02.2022 um 02:10:
>> On 2/19/2022 1:05 PM, John Reagan wrote:

>>> <Fortran COMMON blocks enters the chat>
>>>
>>> Nobody has used a COMMON block in one place with an integer and in
>>> another with bytes?  Or a C union or a Pascal variant record?
>>
>> I would use EQUIVALENCE and not COMMON for that, but it could be done
>> with COMMON.
>
> EQUIVALENCE is usually used when you need access to both definitions
> within the same program unit. (Named) COMMON can be used to use
> different definitions for the same memory area in different program units.

Using different COMMON block definitions for the same COMMON block
in different parts of the same program is usually considered very
bad practice and can result in some rather weird and very hard to
track down problems.

bill

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<suv1m4$qlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20945&group=comp.os.vms#20945

From: dav...@tsoft-inc.com (Dave Froble)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:42:00 -0500
 by: Dave Froble - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 03:42 UTC

On 2/20/2022 3:31 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> On 2/20/22 13:44, Hans Bachner wrote:
>> Arne Vajhøj schrieb am 20.02.2022 um 02:10:

>>> I would use EQUIVALENCE and not COMMON for that, but it could be done
>>> with COMMON.
>>
>> EQUIVALENCE is usually used when you need access to both definitions within
>> the same program unit. (Named) COMMON can be used to use different definitions
>> for the same memory area in different program units.
>
> Using different COMMON block definitions for the same COMMON block
> in different parts of the same program is usually considered very
> bad practice and can result in some rather weird and very hard to
> track down problems.
>
> bill

Why?

All a COMMON block is, is a piece of memory. Isn't it possible to want to look
at it in different ways?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<6213a494$0$699$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20956&group=comp.os.vms#20956

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:41:23 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:41 UTC

On 2/20/2022 10:42 PM, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 2/20/2022 3:31 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>>> EQUIVALENCE is usually used when you need access to both definitions
>>> within
>>> the same program unit. (Named) COMMON can be used to use different
>>> definitions
>>> for the same memory area in different program units.
>>
>> Using different COMMON block definitions for the same COMMON block
>> in different parts of the same program is usually considered very
>> bad practice and can result in some rather weird and very hard to
>> track down problems.
>
> Why?
>
> All a COMMON block is, is a piece of memory.  Isn't it possible to want
> to look at it in different ways?

It is error prone, because there is no check of consistency and a it
requires a search to find the instances.

EQUIVALENCE is local and therefore very visible.

Arne

Re: Attn VSI employees: Viable full system Itanium emulator for VMS ?

<6213a6d9$0$699$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20958&group=comp.os.vms#20958

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:51:05 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:51 UTC

On 2/21/2022 9:41 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 2/20/2022 10:42 PM, Dave Froble wrote:

>>> Using different COMMON block definitions for the same COMMON block
>>> in different parts of the same program is usually considered very
>>> bad practice and can result in some rather weird and very hard to
>>> track down problems.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> All a COMMON block is, is a piece of memory.  Isn't it possible to
>> want to look at it in different ways?
>
> It is error prone, because there is no check of consistency and a it
> requires a search to find the instances.
>
> EQUIVALENCE is local and therefore very visible.

And to help the non-Fortran people:

$ type b1.for
program b1
integer*4 i4