From: sma...@panix.com (Mike Small)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: 15.0 and new package, rdfind
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 15:04:26 -0500
 by: Mike Small - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 20:04 UTC

Hi,

Is everyone running 15.0 aware of rdfind being added to provide a build
dependency for linux firmware (it's a neat utility more generally)? I
know when I first ran slackpkg upgrade-all I was a bit puzzled about
what changed for update to download changes but for slackpkg upgrade-all
to have nothing to do. Looking at the changelog didn't solve my
puzzlement.

There's good info on that other place, the main place, for Slackware
discussion, but maybe there are webforum-averse people here who don't
follow that and might want attention drawn to this. I was able to get
the new package with slackpkg install patches, but slackpkg install rdfind
would have been a better way for me, where I remove things and
those appeared in the dialog box from the prior command.

- Mike Sm.

Re: 15.0 and new package, rdfind

<6573cfe9$1@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2098&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2098

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Subject: Re: 15.0 and new package, rdfind
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 9 Dec 2023 12:24:41 +1000
 by: noel - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 02:24 UTC

On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 15:04:26 -0500, Mike Small wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is everyone running 15.0 aware of rdfind being added to provide a build
> dependency for linux firmware (it's a neat utility more generally)? I
> know when I first ran slackpkg upgrade-all I was a bit puzzled about
> what changed for update to download changes but for slackpkg upgrade-all
> to have nothing to do. Looking at the changelog didn't solve my
> puzzlement.

Wed Dec 6 20:29:23 UTC 2023
patches/packages/rdfind-1.6.0-x86_64-1_slack15.0.txz: *Added*.
Redundant data finder utility, needed to build the kernel-firmware
package.

> There's good info on that other place, the main place, for Slackware
> discussion, but maybe there are webforum-averse people here who don't
> follow that

Some of us dont bother with forums unless specifically searching for x,y,
or z, as they are usually populated with more trolls than usenet only
concernd with their post counts, so thanks for heads up.

> might want attention drawn to this. I was able to get
> the new package with slackpkg install patches, but slackpkg install
> rdfind would have been a better way for me, where I remove things and
> those appeared in the dialog box from the prior command.

When a package is added, use - slackpkg install-new
you get to pick 'n choose to install package or not.

Re: 15.0 and new package, rdfind

<ul1j0u$26eac$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2099&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2099

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:28:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:28 UTC

On Sat, 09 Dec 2023 12:24:41 +1000, noel wrote:
> patches/packages/rdfind-1.6.0-x86_64-1_slack15.0.txz: *Added*.

Yep, now also the changelog for Slackware 15.0 says "Added", initially it
confused some people and tools by instead saying "Upgraded" even though
Slackware 15.0 had no previos version of rdfind.

> Some of us dont bother with forums

I am one of those who also participate in the Slackware forum at
linuxquestions.org, but I really do prefer discussions in
alt.os.linux.slackware.

regards Henrik