From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Help with resources (specifically, with vncviewer)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:13:38 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:13 UTC

BACKGROUND:

I've been using X for decades now, but never really learned about how to
set and use resources. Well, actually, I did, once, decades ago, but I
have forgotten most of it. I know you create a file in some totally
bizarre format, then use "xrdb" to load it into the server.

CURRENT PROBLEM:

I'm using tightvncviewer in fullscreen mode, and want to try the
grabKeyboard option. According to the man page, this can only be set via a
resource (note that most of the things you can set as resources have a
corresponding [and easier to use] command line option, but, alas, not this
one).

Could someone walk me through exactly what I need to do to set this
resource? Thanks.

--
Many (most?) Trump voters voted for him because they thought if they
supported Trump enough, they'd get to *be* Trump.

Similarly, Trump believes that if *he* praises Putin enough, he'll get to *be* Putin.

Re: Help with resources (specifically, with vncviewer)

<slrnso9u40.ceu.jcb@zagreb.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22&group=comp.windows.x#22

From: jcb...@inf.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:25:16 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Bradfield - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:25 UTC

On 2021-11-05, Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> I'm using tightvncviewer in fullscreen mode, and want to try the
> grabKeyboard option. According to the man page, this can only be set via a
> resource (note that most of the things you can set as resources have a
> corresponding [and easier to use] command line option, but, alas, not this
> one).

tighvnc is, it says, an Xt client, so it should accept the generic
command-line resource-setting option:

tightvnc -xrm '*.grabKeyboard: true'

Otherwise:

echo '*.grabKeyboard: true' | xrdb -merge

That sets the grabKeyboard resource for all programs; to be specific,
you need to know the program/class name.

If you want to keep it. put
*.grabKeyboard: true
in your .Xresources file (or whatever your distribution uses)

Re: Help with resources (specifically, with vncviewer)

<sm3tp5$821m$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=23&group=comp.windows.x#23

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:39:33 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:39 UTC

In article <slrnso9u40.ceu.jcb@zagreb.inf.ed.ac.uk>,
Julian Bradfield <jcb@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>On 2021-11-05, Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>> I'm using tightvncviewer in fullscreen mode, and want to try the
>> grabKeyboard option. According to the man page, this can only be set via a
>> resource (note that most of the things you can set as resources have a
>> corresponding [and easier to use] command line option, but, alas, not this
>> one).
>
>tighvnc is, it says, an Xt client, so it should accept the generic
>command-line resource-setting option:
>
>tightvnc -xrm '*.grabKeyboard: true'

Thank you! That did the trick. Adding that to the command line fixed the
underlying problem with vncviewer.

Thanks for the other info as well. Hopefully, I will have an opportunity
to use it again before another 20 years goes by.

--
When someone tells me he/she is a Christian I check to see if I'm
still in possession of my wallet.