All life evolves by the differential survival of replicating entities. -- Dawkins

computers / alt.os.linux.slackware / Re: Updating to current

SubjectAuthor
* Updating to currentroot
+* Re: Updating to currentPetri Kaukasoina
|`* Re: Updating to currentHenrik Carlqvist
| `* Re: Updating to currentroot
|  +* Re: Updating to currentRich
|  |`* Re: Updating to currentroot
|  | `* Re: Updating to currentRich
|  |  `* Re: Updating to currentroot
|  |   `* Re: Updating to currentRich
|  |    `* Re: Updating to currentroot
|  |     `- Re: Updating to currentAlexander Grotewohl
|  `* Re: Updating to currentHenrik Carlqvist
|   `* Re: Updating to currentroot
|    +* Re: Updating to currentMike Small
|    |`- Re: Updating to currentroot
|    `- Re: Updating to currentroot
`- Re: Updating to currentRinaldiJ

1
Updating to current

<ukqq3c$u5rj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2093&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2093

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Updating to current
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:46:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:46 UTC

I am trying to install current on a system. I
downloaded an iso image, burned it to a usb
stick and used that to install it to disk.

I checked the /etc/slackware version and
it reported 15.0+ as opposed to 15.0

After customizing the installation I tried
slackpkg upgrade
and, with lots of deleting and installing,
it produced a system that did not boot.
It was as if the kernel did not match the
modules.

What could have happened?

Thanks.

Re: Updating to current

<ukro9d$15mru$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2094&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2094

From: kaukasoi...@sci.fi (Petri Kaukasoina)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Updating to current
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 06:21:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Petri Kaukasoina - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 06:21 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>After customizing the installation I tried
>slackpkg upgrade
>and, with lots of deleting and installing,
>it produced a system that did not boot.
>It was as if the kernel did not match the
>modules.

"Be sure to upgrade your initrd after upgrading the kernel packages.
If you use lilo to boot your machine, be sure lilo.conf points to the correct
kernel and initrd and run lilo as root to update the bootloader.
If you use elilo to boot your machine, you should run eliloconfig to copy the
kernel and initrd to the EFI System Partition."

Re: Updating to current

<12f8d404-a831-4119-9424-291cc81ead0a@invalid.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2095&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2095

From: rinal...@nunya.com (RinaldiJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 03:12:20 -0600
 by: RinaldiJ - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:12 UTC

On 12/6/23 15:46, root wrote:
-----------
> After customizing the installation I tried
> slackpkg upgrade
> and, with lots of deleting and installing,
> it produced a system that did not boot.
> It was as if the kernel did not match the
> modules.
>
> What could have happened?

One possibility is not running lilo after the kernel upgrade.

Rinaldi

Re: Updating to current

<ukucsp$1l901$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2096&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2096

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 06:25:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 06:25 UTC

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:21:33 +0000, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

> root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>>After customizing the installation I tried slackpkg upgrade and, with
>>lots of deleting and installing,
>>it produced a system that did not boot. It was as if the kernel did not
>>match the modules.
>
> "Be sure to upgrade your initrd after upgrading the kernel packages.
> If you use lilo to boot your machine, be sure lilo.conf points to the
> correct kernel and initrd and run lilo as root to update the
> bootloader.
> If you use elilo to boot your machine, you should run eliloconfig to
> copy the kernel and initrd to the EFI System Partition."

Yes most likely the boot loader is still loading the old kernel which no
longer has any matching modules installed.

regards Henrik

Re: Updating to current

<ul1ngk$2712s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2100&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2100

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 12:45:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 12:45 UTC

Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:21:33 +0000, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
>
>> root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>>>After customizing the installation I tried slackpkg upgrade and, with
>>>lots of deleting and installing,
>>>it produced a system that did not boot. It was as if the kernel did not
>>>match the modules.
>>
>> "Be sure to upgrade your initrd after upgrading the kernel packages.
>> If you use lilo to boot your machine, be sure lilo.conf points to the
>> correct kernel and initrd and run lilo as root to update the
>> bootloader.
>> If you use elilo to boot your machine, you should run eliloconfig to
>> copy the kernel and initrd to the EFI System Partition."
>
> Yes most likely the boot loader is still loading the old kernel which no
> longer has any matching modules installed.
>
> regards Henrik

Thanks Henrik. I plan to try upgrade again when I get to position
that I can recover if it fails. In that case, I suppose that
slackpkg upgrade
will also create a new initrd, and all I will have to do
it re-run lilo before booting into the new system?

I have been preparing my systems which are still running
14.2 for the time that it will no longer be supported.
Several such systems run rtorrent, the latest version
of which seems inoperable on 15.0 or current. Slackbuilds
has dropped rtorrent/libtorrent, and none of the
slpkg mirrors have them either.

Re: Updating to current

<ul22fk$28mvl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2101&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2101

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:52:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 15:52 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> Several such systems run rtorrent, the latest version of which seems
> inoperable on 15.0 or current. Slackbuilds has dropped
> rtorrent/libtorrent, and none of the slpkg mirrors have them either.

In what alternate universe are you inhabiting?

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/network/rtorrent/

15.0 > Network > rtorrent (0.9.7)

rtorrent is a BitTorrent client for ncurses, using the libtorrent
library. The client and library is written in C++ with emphasis on
speed and efficiency, while delivering equivalent features to those
found in GUI based clients in an ncurses client.

Optional dependency: xmlrpc-c

This requires: libtorrent

Maintained by: bkysela
libtorrent bittorrent,rtorrent libtorrent bittorrent torrent,bitorrent
ChangeLog: rtorrent

And:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/libraries/libtorrent/

15.0 > Libraries > libtorrent (0.13.7)

LibTorrent is a BitTorrent library written in C++ for *nix, with a focus
on high performance and good code. The library differentiates itself
from other implementations by transfering directly from file pages to
the network stack. On high-bandwidth connections it is able to seed at
3 times the speed of the official client.

Maintained by: bkysela
ChangeLog: libtorrent

Both for slack 15, and I currently have both installed (from these two
slackbuilds) in a Slack 15 system.

Re: Updating to current

<ul33dp$2dghn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2102&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2102

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 01:14:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 01:14 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:

> In what alternate universe are you inhabiting?
>
> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/network/rtorrent/
>

> 15.0 > Network > rtorrent (0.9.7)
>

> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/libraries/libtorrent/
>

> Both for slack 15, and I currently have both installed (from these two
> slackbuilds) in a Slack 15 system.

Now you are absolutely right and I have just downloaded an built
both rtorrent and libtorrent. Two days ago I did:

sbopkg -b rtorrent, and it came back NOT FOUND.

I repeated it just now and all is well. I was wary because
I asked earlier if anyone was running rtorrent under 15.0
would you please post your .rtorrent.rc because I find
the online documentation obscure.

Thanks for correcting me, and if it is not too much trouble,
show me your .rc file?

Re: Updating to current

<ul44hg$2l3at$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2103&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2103

From: Henrik.C...@deadspam.com (Henrik Carlqvist)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:39:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henrik Carlqvist - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:39 UTC

On Sat, 09 Dec 2023 12:45:08 +0000, root wrote:
> In that case, I suppose that slackpkg upgrade will also create a new
> initrd, and all I will have to do it re-run lilo before booting into
> the new system?

I haven't used slackpkg myself (I have my own scripts and Makefile to
download and install security patches) and I don't have any initrd
installed as I use huge kernels. However, from what I have seen in
threads about broken installations after kernel upgrades and read in the
changelog I think that you will manually have to create a new initrd if
you are using a generic kernel.

Again what Petri wrote:

On Thu, 07 Dec 2023 06:21:33 +0000, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
> "Be sure to upgrade your initrd after upgrading the kernel packages.
> If you use lilo to boot your machine, be sure lilo.conf points to the
> correct kernel and initrd and run lilo as root to update the
> bootloader.
> If you use elilo to boot your machine, you should run eliloconfig to
> copy the kernel and initrd to the EFI System Partition."

regards Henrik

Re: Updating to current

<ul4m1p$2nj40$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2104&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2104

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:38:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:38 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> In what alternate universe are you inhabiting?
>>
>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/network/rtorrent/
>>

>> 15.0 > Network > rtorrent (0.9.7)
>>

>> http://slackbuilds.org/repository/15.0/libraries/libtorrent/
>>

>> Both for slack 15, and I currently have both installed (from these
>> two slackbuilds) in a Slack 15 system.
>
> Now you are absolutely right and I have just downloaded an built both
> rtorrent and libtorrent. Two days ago I did:
>
> sbopkg -b rtorrent, and it came back NOT FOUND.

sbopkg is *not* SlackBuilds. sbopkg is an add on, so something was
amiss with sbopkg.

> I repeated it just now and all is well. I was wary because I asked
> earlier if anyone was running rtorrent under 15.0 would you please
> post your .rtorrent.rc because I find the online documentation
> obscure.
>
> Thanks for correcting me, and if it is not too much trouble, show me
> your .rc file?

If I remember, I just let it create its default (or I copied the
example from /usr/doc/rtorrent-0.9.7/).

Are you perhaps trying to use an older .rc instead of starting from the
example?

# This is an example resource file for rTorrent. Copy to
# ~/.rtorrent.rc and enable/modify the options as needed. Remember to
# uncomment the options you wish to enable.

# Maximum and minimum number of peers to connect to per torrent.
# #throttle.min_peers.normal.set = 40
#throttle.max_peers.normal.set = 100

# Same as above but for seeding completed torrents (-1 = same as downloading)
# #throttle.min_peers.seed.set = 10
#throttle.max_peers.seed.set = 50

# Maximum number of simultanious uploads per torrent.
# #throttle.max_uploads.set = 15

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
# #throttle.global_down.max_rate.set_kb = 0
#throttle.global_up.max_rate.set_kb = 0

# Default directory to save the downloaded torrents.
# #directory.default.set = ./

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
# #session.path.set = ./session

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
# #schedule2 = watch_directory,5,5,load.start=./watch/*.torrent
#schedule2 = untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

# Close torrents when diskspace is low.
# #schedule2 = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

# The ip address reported to the tracker.
# #network.local_address.set = 127.0.0.1
#network.local_address.set = rakshasa.no

# The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
# bound to.
# #network.bind_address.set = 127.0.0.1
#network.bind_address.set = rakshasa.no

# Port range to use for listening.
# #network.port_range.set = 6890-6999

# Start opening ports at a random position within the port range.
# #network.port_random.set = no

# Check hash for finished torrents. Might be usefull until the bug is
# fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
# #pieces.hash.on_completion.set = no

# Set whether the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
# #trackers.use_udp.set = yes

# Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
# #schedule2 = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
#schedule2 = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

# Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the following:
# allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry, prefer_plaintext
# # The example value allows incoming encrypted connections, starts unencrypted
# outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
# plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
# # protocol.encryption.set = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

# Enable DHT support for trackerless torrents or when all trackers are down.
# May be set to "disable" (completely disable DHT), "off" (do not start DHT),
# "auto" (start and stop DHT as needed), or "on" (start DHT immediately).
# The default is "off". For DHT to work, a session directory must be defined.
#
# dht.mode.set = auto

# UDP port to use for DHT.
# #dht.port.set = 6881

# Enable peer exchange (for torrents not marked private)
# #protocol.pex.set = yes

# Set downlad list layout style. ("full", "compact")
# #ui.torrent_list.layout.set = "full"

# SCGI Connectivity (for alternative rtorrent interfaces, XMLRPC)
# # Use a IP socket with scgi_port, or a Unix socket with scgi_local.
# schedule can be used to set permissions on the unix socket.
# #scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:5000
#scgi_local = /home/user/rtorrent/rpc.socket
#schedule = scgi_permission,0,0,"execute.nothrow=chmod,\"g+w,o=\",/home/user/rtorrent/rpc.socket"

Re: Updating to current

<ul4rdk$2of6q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2105&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2105

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:10 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:

> If I remember, I just let it create its default (or I copied the
> example from /usr/doc/rtorrent-0.9.7/).
>
> Are you perhaps trying to use an older .rc instead of starting from the
> example?

Thanks again for responding Rich.

I tried the doc file example yesterday, but I don't know
where to put a torrent, or where the intermediate and
file results go.

I looked at the source. It is written in c++ with which I
have no programming experience but it is pretty readable.

It seems to be looking for a directory basedir, which
can be defined by the argument -d. Online searchs for
information about these files from the rtorrent team
are contradictory. It seems that within the basedir directory
it may look for torrents, start, load, session, and downloads.

So I made the directory RTDL, and under that created
the above named directories. I started rtorrent with
rtorrent -d RTDL -s session

where I also created a standalone directory session.

rtorrent started OK with normal looking screen.
However I put two torrents into the RTDL/start
directory and nothing happened, rtorrent just
sat there. Then I tried copying a torrent into
the torrents directory, and again nothing happened.

When you use rtorrent, can you tell me where you
put a torrent to activate the download process?

Re: Updating to current

<ul4rqn$2og3a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2106&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2106

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:17:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:17 UTC

Thanks for repsonding Henrik.

I will create a backup partition running 15.0,
then do the upgrade and follow that with a new
initrd and rerun lilo as suggested. I have been
busy getting other things in order before that
experiment.

I didn't think of that because other systems
I use run grub and lilo was irrelevant.

Re: Updating to current

<jpkr0jtphxy.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2107&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2107

From: sma...@panix.com (Mike Small)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:54:33 -0500
 by: Mike Small - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 02:54 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> writes:

> Thanks for repsonding Henrik.
>
> I will create a backup partition running 15.0,
> then do the upgrade and follow that with a new
> initrd and rerun lilo as suggested. I have been
> busy getting other things in order before that
> experiment.
>
> I didn't think of that because other systems
> I use run grub and lilo was irrelevant.

One thing that's changed with 15.0 is the addition of a new script,
/usr/sbin/geninitrd. In 14.2 when upgrading a kernel I would skim the
instructions under /boot on how to make a new initrd, once again finding
what arguments to pass (don't know why I didn't make an alias). Now I
run geninitrd followed by lilo without thinking about it much. The head
of geninitrd warns, however, that it's not for use if you have an
encrypted root partition.

I think there might be a difference in what goes into your generic
initrd now too. There's some indirection involved with geninitrd,
but eventually it runs /usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh
which has this comment near the top:

# Create an initrd which fits the system.
# Take into account the use of LVM/LUKS/RAID.
# Find out about any hardware drivers the system may need in an initrd when
# booting from a generic lightweight kernel.

It didn't always do that did it?

Re: Updating to current

<ul5vo8$31d1k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2108&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2108

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:30:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 03:30 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> When you use rtorrent, can you tell me where you
> put a torrent to activate the download process?

I have not actually added a physical torrent file in a very long time.
I simply paste in magnet links and let rtorrent do the rest.

Hit the return key when it is running, it will prompt for a link, paste
in the magnet link, hit return again, and it goes on about its
business.

Looking up adding a physical file from the keyboard map here:

https://defkey.com/rtorrent-shortcuts

The answer is to hit return, and instead of pasting in a magnet link,
paste/type the path to the torrent file itself. And apparently while
in the "enter a torrent" mode, the tab key does auto-complete on
filenames/directory paths.

Re: Updating to current

<uld675$10ish$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2112&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2112

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:03 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
> root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>> When you use rtorrent, can you tell me where you
>> put a torrent to activate the download process?
>
> I have not actually added a physical torrent file in a very long time.
> I simply paste in magnet links and let rtorrent do the rest.
>
> Hit the return key when it is running, it will prompt for a link, paste
> in the magnet link, hit return again, and it goes on about its
> business.
>
> Looking up adding a physical file from the keyboard map here:
>
> https://defkey.com/rtorrent-shortcuts
>
> The answer is to hit return, and instead of pasting in a magnet link,
> paste/type the path to the torrent file itself. And apparently while
> in the "enter a torrent" mode, the tab key does auto-complete on
> filenames/directory paths.

Thanks very much for responding. I managed to work my way
through the online commentary by the author(s). Probably
the worst documentation I have ever seen.

The new rtorrent differs from the older versions in
that, out of the box, it does not remove the finished
torrents out of the downloading directory. You might
be interested in adding these lines to the end of
your .rtorrent.rc

method.insert = d.get_finished_dir, simple, "cat=/samba.ok/Finished/,$d.custom1="
method.insert = d.data_path, simple, "if=(d.is_multi_file), (cat,(d.directory),/), (cat,(d.directory),/,(d.name))"
method.insert = d.move_to_complete, simple, "d.directory.set=$argument.1=; execute=mkdir,-p,$argument.1=; execute=mv,-u,$argument.0=,$argument.1=; d.save_full_session="
method.set_key = event.download.finished,move_complete,"d.move_to_complete=$d.data_path=,$d.get_finished_dir="

In the first line, /samba.ok/Finished/ represents the directory where
you want the completed torrent to be put.

Lines like these method.insert ..... are present throughout the
online documentation. If you look at the third line you see
something like:

mv -u arg0 arg1 ;

which is standard c code for moving something elsewhere when
the destination is either empty or older.

Thanks again for your help Rich.

Re: Updating to current

<uld6an$10ish$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2113&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2113

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:05:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:05 UTC

root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
> Thanks for repsonding Henrik.
>
> I will create a backup partition running 15.0,
> then do the upgrade and follow that with a new
> initrd and rerun lilo as suggested. I have been
> busy getting other things in order before that
> experiment.
>
> I didn't think of that because other systems
> I use run grub and lilo was irrelevant.

I confirm the above procedure is what must be done.

All my troubles stemmed from not running mkinitrd
after the upgrade-all

Thanks again Henrik.

Re: Updating to current

<uld6kd$10ish$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2114&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2114

From: NoEM...@home.org (root)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:10:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: root - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:10 UTC

Mike Small <smallm@panix.com> wrote:
> One thing that's changed with 15.0 is the addition of a new script,
> /usr/sbin/geninitrd. In 14.2 when upgrading a kernel I would skim the
> instructions under /boot on how to make a new initrd, once again finding
> what arguments to pass (don't know why I didn't make an alias). Now I
> run geninitrd followed by lilo without thinking about it much. The head
> of geninitrd warns, however, that it's not for use if you have an
> encrypted root partition.
>
> I think there might be a difference in what goes into your generic
> initrd now too. There's some indirection involved with geninitrd,
> but eventually it runs /usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh
> which has this comment near the top:
>
> # Create an initrd which fits the system.
> # Take into account the use of LVM/LUKS/RAID.
> # Find out about any hardware drivers the system may need in an initrd when
> # booting from a generic lightweight kernel.
>
> It didn't always do that did it?

I have always used mkinitrd, and the script seems to use
that as well. mkinitrd worked for me after upgrade-all

The chroot thing reminded me to post about how to recover
when your boot sector has been wiped. I'll do that
now.

Re: Updating to current

<uldgu2$124tc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2118&group=alt.os.linux.slackware#2118

From: alex...@gmail.com (Alexander Grotewohl)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 00:06:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alexander Grotewohl - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 00:06 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:03:33 -0000 (UTC), root wrote:

> The new rtorrent differs from the older versions in that, out of the
> box, it does not remove the finished torrents out of the downloading
> directory. You might be interested in adding these lines to the end of
> your .rtorrent.rc

not sure what you mean, it's been the same for about as long as it's been
available..

> method.insert = d.get_finished_dir, simple,
> "cat=/samba.ok/Finished/,$d.custom1="
> method.insert = d.data_path, simple, "if=(d.is_multi_file),
> (cat,(d.directory),/), (cat,(d.directory),/,(d.name))"
> method.insert = d.move_to_complete, simple,
> "d.directory.set=$argument.1=; execute=mkdir,-p,$argument.1=;
> execute=mv,-u,$argument.0=,$argument.1=; d.save_full_session="
> method.set_key =
> event.download.finished,move_complete,"d.move_to_complete=$d.data_path=,
$d.get_finished_dir="

you could also just hit ctrl-o on the torrent before you start it and
tell it where it's supposed to download.. if you're going to manually
move things from Finished to a movie or music folder might as well
manually just tell it where it goes in the first place..

benefit is that you can seed it right there from it's final destination,
without having to again set the output directory and rehash the torrent.

unless you're not seeding of course ;)