Mystics always hope that science will some day overtake them. -- Booth Tarkington

devel / comp.arch.fpga / UDP -FPGA point to point

SubjectAuthor
* UDP -FPGA point to pointManav Nair
+* Re: UDP -FPGA point to pointdalai lamah
|`- Re: UDP -FPGA point to pointManav Nair
`- Re: UDP -FPGA point to pointRichard Damon

1
UDP -FPGA point to point

<6408ea04-f58e-43ad-8aa9-25aba5dbbee7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=211&group=comp.arch.fpga#211

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: UDP -FPGA point to point
From: manauro...@gmail.com (Manav Nair)
 by: Manav Nair - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:59 UTC

Hello everyone, I have recently started working on a project using Ethernet in an FPGA and I am using the UDP protocol for communication between the PC and the FPGA.
The communication is happening point to point so I was wondering do I need ARP implementation in my stack or can I just broadcast the message.

I am building a UDP stack but was wondering is ARP a necessary requirement.
Also, the FPGA doesn't have MAC or UDP port so what value should I assign to them before sending. Thank you in advance

Mana

Re: UDP -FPGA point to point

<dljcqg8dbm0r$.ssle3tqacmg8.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=212&group=comp.arch.fpga#212

From: antonio1...@hotmail.com (dalai lamah)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Subject: Re: UDP -FPGA point to point
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:11:39 +0200
 by: dalai lamah - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:11 UTC

Un bel giorno Manav Nair digitò:

> Hello everyone, I have recently started working on a project using
> Ethernet in an FPGA and I am using the UDP protocol for communication
> between the PC and the FPGA. The communication is happening point to
> point so I was wondering do I need ARP implementation in my stack or can
> I just broadcast the message.

If your connection is really point-to-point, i.e. a physical cable that
goes straight from a host to another, you should be ok without ARP. If you
instead have any routing device in the middle (a switch, a wifi access
point etc..), you should implement ARP or you might have problems.

> I am building a UDP stack but was wondering is ARP a necessary
> requirement. Also, the FPGA doesn't have MAC or UDP port so what value
> should I assign to them before sending. Thank you in advance

Again, if you are straight point-to-point you can assign any MAC address,
as long as it is not all zeroes or FFs. Otherwise you should assign a
"real" MAC address, that you can "steal" from any ethernet device that you
are not going to connect on the same network.

--
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.

Re: UDP -FPGA point to point

<14d55ff6-051e-46c2-bb8c-24bdb69e6ea2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=213&group=comp.arch.fpga#213

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 07:10:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: manauro...@gmail.com (Manav Nair)
 by: Manav Nair - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:10 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 4:11:46 PM UTC+2, dalai lamah wrote:
> Un bel giorno Manav Nair digitņ:
> > Hello everyone, I have recently started working on a project using
> > Ethernet in an FPGA and I am using the UDP protocol for communication
> > between the PC and the FPGA. The communication is happening point to
> > point so I was wondering do I need ARP implementation in my stack or can
> > I just broadcast the message.
> If your connection is really point-to-point, i.e. a physical cable that
> goes straight from a host to another, you should be ok without ARP. If you
> instead have any routing device in the middle (a switch, a wifi access
> point etc..), you should implement ARP or you might have problems.
> > I am building a UDP stack but was wondering is ARP a necessary
> > requirement. Also, the FPGA doesn't have MAC or UDP port so what value
> > should I assign to them before sending. Thank you in advance
> Again, if you are straight point-to-point you can assign any MAC address,
> as long as it is not all zeroes or FFs. Otherwise you should assign a
> "real" MAC address, that you can "steal" from any ethernet device that you
> are not going to connect on the same network.
>
> --
> Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto.
Ok, thanks for the response.
I still had one question regarding the UDP. Since I don't know the UDP destination port what should I do in that case? How should I send the UDP message from the PC to the FPGA? I am using scapy for sending data.

Re: UDP -FPGA point to point

<oX2cJ.2309$1n1.1957@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=215&group=comp.arch.fpga#215

Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:58:56 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 21 Oct 2021 00:58 UTC

On 10/18/21 8:59 AM, Manav Nair wrote:
> Hello everyone, I have recently started working on a project using Ethernet in an FPGA and I am using the UDP protocol for communication between the PC and the FPGA.
> The communication is happening point to point so I was wondering do I need ARP implementation in my stack or can I just broadcast the message.
>
> I am building a UDP stack but was wondering is ARP a necessary requirement.
> Also, the FPGA doesn't have MAC or UDP port so what value should I assign to them before sending. Thank you in advance
>
> Mana

One issue is you are mixing up details at different 'layers' of
communication.

UDP is a transport layer protocol while ARP is a link layer.

WIth a direct connection between the PC and the FPGA, you don't really
HAVE a link layer, which is where a MAC address would matter.

The question comes how you will tell the PC stack how to 'address' the
packet to tell it to send it to the FPGA. That might require some hard
wiring in the stack to provide a routing to the FPGA. The FPGA likely
doesn't need to generate anything there, as it can be just fixed in the
driver to it.

As to a UDP port number, that would determine what the FPGA will do with
datagram.

Are ALL datagrams interpreted the same? if so, then it doesn't matter
what port you use. (maybe the datagram has enough details to define this).

Possibly, you want to be able to send datagrams to different 'ports' in
the FPGA to be processed for different purposes, and if you don't need
it now, you may just want to be using a fixed port so you can add others
in the future.