From: ThatWoul...@thevillage.com (EricP)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Robocars - The future is Now!
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 11:49:00 -0400
 by: EricP - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:49 UTC

Confused self-driving cars are flooding a
normally quiet dead-end street in San Francisco
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-10-self-driving-cars-quiet-dead-end-street.html

Well, at least they aren't driving off cliffs. Yet.

Please remember to inflate your shoes after leaving the bus.

Re: Robocars - The future is Now!

<sk9m7f$nm7$1@newsreader4.netcologne.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21100&group=comp.arch#21100

From: tkoe...@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Robocars - The future is Now!
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 16:34:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Thomas Koenig - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 16:34 UTC

EricP <ThatWouldBeTelling@thevillage.com> schrieb:
> Please remember to inflate your shoes after leaving the bus.

?

Re: Robocars - The future is Now!

<fJZ9J.237918$T_8.88588@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21105&group=comp.arch#21105

From: ThatWoul...@thevillage.com (EricP)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:24:18 -0400
 by: EricP - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:24 UTC

Thomas Koenig wrote:
> EricP <ThatWouldBeTelling@thevillage.com> schrieb:
>> Please remember to inflate your shoes after leaving the bus.
>
> ?

Obtuse reference to an American surreal comedy troupe called
Firesign Theater and their 1971 show I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus
in which the protagonists visit the World's Fair and are greeted with
the announcement over a loud speaker
"We're glad you made it - Welcome to <echoing> T H E F U T U R E"
but the displays of "the future" are actually rather odd and
really don't work very well.

Re: Robocars - The future is Now!

<061fe976-4245-4bcb-8823-07032c280d07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21107&group=comp.arch#21107

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: MitchAl...@aol.com (MitchAlsup)
 by: MitchAlsup - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:45 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 12:24:29 PM UTC-5, EricP wrote:
> Thomas Koenig wrote:
> > EricP <ThatWould...@thevillage.com> schrieb:
> >> Please remember to inflate your shoes after leaving the bus.
> >
> > ?
> Obtuse reference to an American surreal comedy troupe called
> Firesign Theater and their 1971 show I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus
> in which the protagonists visit the World's Fair and are greeted with
> the announcement over a loud speaker
> "We're glad you made it - Welcome to <echoing> T H E F U T U R E"
> but the displays of "the future" are actually rather odd and
> really don't work very well.
<
When I got out of College, a friend of mine and I could walk down the street
and converse in Firesign Theater.

Nick Danger, 3rd eye....
3 Finger Micki's, where all triples are double priced......

Re: Robocars - The future is Now!

<ska5i4$9nr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21119&group=comp.arch#21119

From: cr88...@gmail.com (BGB)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:56:33 -0500
 by: BGB - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:56 UTC

On 10/14/2021 12:24 PM, EricP wrote:
> Thomas Koenig wrote:
>> EricP <ThatWouldBeTelling@thevillage.com> schrieb:
>>> Please remember to inflate your shoes after leaving the bus.
>>
>> ?
>
> Obtuse reference to an American surreal comedy troupe called
> Firesign Theater and their 1971 show I Think We're All Bozos on this Bus
> in which the protagonists visit the World's Fair and are greeted with
> the announcement over a loud speaker
> "We're glad you made it - Welcome to <echoing> T H E  F U T U R E"
> but the displays of "the future" are actually rather odd and
> really don't work very well.

For a moment I thought it was referring to some questionable "feature" I
saw in some older shoe commercials where the shoes would have an air
pump in the tongue, and a person would (overly dramatically) hit the
pump on their shoes a few times before stepping out on a basketball
court or similar.

Though, I am more from a generation which saw Star Trek TNG and Voyager
as a vision of the future; at least until Enterprise came along and
kinda ruined it.

Not sure, probably anyone much younger than me sees Star Trek as a whole
as an "old persons'" franchise, in much the same way I originally saw
stuff like TOS and the original Batman series (then again, my younger
years were also blessed with a few "particularly awful" Batman movies as
well, though one could take at least some amusement in all the lame ice
puns and similar, ...).

But, like, I guess as one advances in years, they can sort of more
appreciate the ways all of this stuff fits together in the timeline.

Well, except recently seeing something talking about PEZ dispensers and
POGS, and being like, "OK, why exactly are *these* still a thing?",
almost may as well try to find and dig out some old YuGiOh card decks
and "start dueling" (errm, yeah, YuGiOh was always "kinda lame" IMO).

But, then again, I had also at one point (not too long ago) went and
watched through "Rainbow Brite" and also a chunk of "He-Man and the
Masters of the Universe", both of which are technically older than I am.

( Kinda liked Rainbow Brite, though I am left to realize I generally
have more in common with Murky than with the protagonists... )

Then again, I have seen a non-zero number of Gen Z people who are into
Captain N and the original animated Sonic Shows and similar, which is
sort of a similar situation to a Gen Y person going and watching shows
like He-Man and similar.

But, I can only wonder how I come off to people that don't actually know
me IRL, apparently it has been a bit ambiguous.

I am just sort of someone who has spent pretty nearly their entire
lifespan into poking around at computers and reading stuff off the
internet and similar.

Not sure what will happen during the time I have left.
Maybe there will be Moon colonies or similar.

But, I guess if there are not, then it means humanity is pretty lame and
likely stands little hope of long-term survival.

I feel a little pessimistic though, given no humans have been on the
Moon during my lifespan (looks it up, notes that the first Apollo
missions are older than my parents, yeah...).

So, dunno...