From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Suggested enhancement to SDA, was: Re: Processes hang on USB-access
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 19:46:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 19:46 UTC

On 2022-03-03, Volker Halle <volker_halle@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> there are no SDA> USB SHOW EHCI commands.

[snip]

Pity. If VSI want to consider it, a nice enhancement to VMS would
be to provide an analysis module as part of each VMS-supplied device
driver which would plug into a public documented SDA plugin architecture.

Such a module would allow all the registers and data structures for
the device to be examined and formatted in a human readable format,
including being able to display, in one command, all the data structures
which were part of a specific higher-level data structure listed in
that command.

That way, you would easily, for example, be able to see the contents
of all the TD entries in a queue without having to manually examine
each entry one by one.

Simon.

Re: Suggested enhancement to SDA, was: Re: Processes hang on USB-access

<00B71366.1C6C5FF3@SendSpamHere.ORG>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21170&group=comp.os.vms#21170

From: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 20:36:42 GMT
 by: VAXm...@SendSpamHere.ORG - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 20:36 UTC

In article <svtq9p$vp2$1@dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:
>On 2022-03-03, Volker Halle <volker_halle@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>> there are no SDA> USB SHOW EHCI commands.
>>

>[snip]
>
>Pity. If VSI want to consider it, a nice enhancement to VMS would
>be to provide an analysis module as part of each VMS-supplied device
>driver which would plug into a public documented SDA plugin architecture.
>
>Such a module would allow all the registers and data structures for
>the device to be examined and formatted in a human readable format,
>including being able to display, in one command, all the data structures
>which were part of a specific higher-level data structure listed in
>that command.
>
>That way, you would easily, for example, be able to see the contents
>of all the TD entries in a queue without having to manually examine
>each entry one by one.

SMH!

RTFM: OpenVMS System Analysis Tools Manual
RTFC: Chapter 10. SDA Extensions and Callable Routines

Have at it.

Re: Suggested enhancement to SDA, was: Re: Processes hang on USB-access

<e494e6f2-26ab-414a-96c2-ded0a700573en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21171&group=comp.os.vms#21171

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 02:57:27 -0800 (PST)
From: volker_h...@hotmail.com (Volker Halle)
 by: Volker Halle - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 10:57 UTC

Simon,

you're right. In an ideal world something like this would make sense.

I've been doing this for process-related hangs in the past - see the PWAIT$SDA SDA extension.

But you need a (forced) crash and the documentation of the internal data structures, both of these would not easily be available publicly - if at all.

Volker.