Why are there always boycotts? Shouldn't there be girlcotts too? -- argon on #Linux

devel / comp.arch / Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.skybuck2000
`* Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.Marcus
 `* Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.skybuck2000
  `- Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.skybuck2000

1
Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<cfeec964-85a8-4f93-9de1-05301858a6f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21307&group=comp.arch#21307

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 23:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:32 UTC

Situation is most likely as follows:

Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.

Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.

Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.

Vice versa.

New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.

I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.

And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.

A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.

Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.

Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.

This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.

Only very few tools can do this properly.

VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.

And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...

Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.

A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.

Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...

Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.

I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.

Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.

For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:

1. Place new harddisk in old PC.

2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.

3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.

I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.

There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.

Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.

If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.

Drives basically full.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<skn77c$jca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21375&group=comp.arch#21375

From: m.del...@this.bitsnbites.eu (Marcus)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 21:44:43 +0200
 by: Marcus - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 19:44 UTC

On 2021-10-18 08:32, skybuck2000 wrote:
> Situation is most likely as follows:
>
> Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.
>
> Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.
>
> Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.
>
> Vice versa.
>
> New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.
>
> I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.
>
> And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.
>
> A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.
>
> Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.
>
> Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.
>
> This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.
>
> Only very few tools can do this properly.
>
> VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.
>
> And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...
>
> Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.
>
> A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.
>
> Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...
>
> Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.
>
> I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.
>
> Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.
>
> For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:
>
> 1. Place new harddisk in old PC.
>
> 2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.
>
> 3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.
>
> I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.
>
> There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.
>
> Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.
>
> If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.
>
> Drives basically full.
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck.

I usually just:

1. Build & install new PC.
2. Insert old drive into new PC (or use external USB/SATA cabinet).
- Get access to old files etc.
- Copy the good stuff to the new PC.
3. Make a VM (e.g. VirtualBox) and have it boot from the old drive.

/Marcus

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<e8ab6e3b-48c3-4eee-bc9e-49a5f85e5c7bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21386&group=comp.arch#21386

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 18:22:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 01:22 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 9:44:46 PM UTC+2, Marcus wrote:
> On 2021-10-18 08:32, skybuck2000 wrote:
> > Situation is most likely as follows:
> >
> > Socket 939, AMD X2 3800+ can run windows 7, cannot run windows 10.
> >
> > Future PC might be: anything recent which apperently cannot run windows 7.
> >
> > Thus old pc cannot upgrade to windows 10 and then replace hardware.
> >
> > Vice versa.
> >
> > New pc cannot run windows 7 and cannot upgrade to windows 10.
> >
> > I spent a lot of time on this pc to install all kinds of software, it's fantastic even though it might require or benefit from some application updates.
> >
> > And thus for the very first time in my life I might want to try and upgrade path to save time and now this Microsoft software can't do it directly.
> >
> > A work around, which will become very complex and tedious.
> >
> > Is to use virtual machine technology, either boot the real harddisk.
> >
> > Or transfer the harddisk to virtual files, then updates and then transfer back to real harddisks.
> >
> > This is not as easy as it sounds, many tools, software will fail.
> >
> > Only very few tools can do this properly.
> >
> > VMWare 64 bit edition required on new PC.
> >
> > And some harddisk "burning"/"copieing" software, not sure which one I used somewhere on my PCs somewhere...
> >
> > Perhaps an easier solution is to move the old harddisk over to new PC, but this puts it at risk, bad idea.
> >
> > A copy could be made and then move those over to new PC.
> >
> > Then try and install windows 10 or windows 11 over copied-to harddisk...
> >
> > Then hopefully windows 10 or windows 11 installation software can overwrite the somewhat flaky/damaged/error prone windows 7 operating system.
> >
> > I would not be surprised if the installation program has some excuse.
> >
> > Funny thing is Microsoft is totally blue balling their own customer base by TPM 2.0 chip requirements which are in short supply right now ! HAHA.
> >
> > For now the "easiest" solution for me but also risky solution would be too:
> >
> > 1. Place new harddisk in old PC.
> >
> > 2. Carefully copy old to new, not vice versa otherwise data lost.
> >
> > 3. Install windows 11 on copied harddisk.
> >
> > I kinda like this stranding though... forces me to keep everything the way it is and produce copies.
> >
> > There is one little problem, the original disk is 2 TB and the new disk will be much larger.
> >
> > Not sure how good a copieing program is for adjusting that partition size to max. Otherwise it would suck.
> >
> > If it can resize the partition that would rock and create some new free space.
> >
> > Drives basically full.
> >
> > Bye for now,
> > Skybuck.
> >
> I usually just:
>
> 1. Build & install new PC.
> 2. Insert old drive into new PC (or use external USB/SATA cabinet).
> - Get access to old files etc.
> - Copy the good stuff to the new PC.
> 3. Make a VM (e.g. VirtualBox) and have it boot from the old drive.
>
> /Marcus

I think you mean to virtualize the old operating system and drive and such.

I did this with windows xp and also an older windows 7 versions.

There are two or more things that suck about this:

1. Having to start VMWare.

2. Having to boot twice, the real os and then the vm os.

3. VM OS doesn't use the real hardware but some virtual hardware, however nowadays there is pass-through for graphics maybe other things.

4. Strange key combination can knock one back to main os this could be a bit weird but ok.

5. VM OS usually run a lot slower and this is a very big downside.

6. Fragmentation of data, have to work with duplicate information folders. This is not a good thing to duplicate information, sharing might be possible.
However sharing might be risky if the vmware produces bugs, I would never use this as the main OS because of exactly this. VMs can crash.

7. Leads to some waste space because of free space duplicated in virtual harddisk.

8. Probably not suited for gaming, though haven't really tried that much. Feels kinda weird, like maybe VMware is observing me in secret haha.
Not sure if it's firewall technically save.

9. One big downside is perhaps vunerabilities in old operating systems, this is also a really big one why to transition to a new one.

10. Applications might try and update themselfes inside the virtual machine, I would not be surprised if this can also lead to some technical problems.

Anyway, with TPM things might get a little bit more tricky.

11. Reliance on VMWare... what if this company some day quits seizes to exist what then ? ;)

This may seem odd, but VMWare requires certain requirements on the hardware... a new computer will most likely work, older ones might become a problem.

12. Future compatibility not sure if VMWare will keep supporting old virtual harddisks

So basically the whole virtual layer adds a whole new level of complexities and possibly issues now or in the future, that is not fun.

13. Some applications might not even run in a VM and that might also exclude VM from using it as a main OS kind of thing.

So basically you side-step the Windows/Microsoft issue but moving this issue over to VirtualBox or VMWare.

Microsoft should solve their own mess and not some other company.

That is basically the moral/point of this story/posting.

Now you may disagree with that.

But if Microsoft advertises that Windows can be upgraded and then in practice it doesn't work like that then Houston we have a problem ! =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck =D

Re: Microsoft strands my DreamPC from 2006 sort of.

<4cd6f2f6-9277-49dc-a16e-a3f3a41bf994n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21568&group=comp.arch#21568

Newsgroups: comp.arch
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:11 UTC

My hunch that windows 7 + vmware workstation 15 + windows 11 has compatibility problems was correct.

Situation that went horribly wrong, surprise surprise ! Not really, windows 7 ntfs and windows 11 ntfs file system is probably different, real question is which software is to blame for the fuck up ? Windows 7 ? VMWare work station 15 ? Or Windows 11 ?:

1. I just mounted/mapped a windows 11 leaked os virtual harddisk with vm workstation 15 running on windows 7.

So in other words: running windows 7, mapping windows 11 virtual disk to Z:

2. Then I created a test folder on Z: and copied 1 folder from windows 7 usb portable real harddisk E: to the mounted windows 11 virtual hardisk Z:

So situation is as follows:
Windows 7 Drive C: not used in test case example
Windows 7 Drive E: is USB portable harddisk.
Windows 7 Drive E: has a virtual harddisk (for music) which is mounted as Windows 7 Drive F:

Windows 11 Drive ??? 3 out of 4 ??? is mapped as Z:

Z:\Test folder was created

Copied F:\Music\Demos\Train to Z:\Test

3. The reason for this was this "demo" uses python 3.9 PyInstaller wrapped/executable and this does not run on windows 7 !!! So was going to try it in Windows 11 Leak.

Now when booting windows 11 leak:

On startup/login, it has a terribly login screen by the way, first there is this shitty screen in the way that must be clicked away totally confused the shit out of me the first time, felt like windows 8 tiles all over again, so on login or something I said to check the drive, first I skipped it:

4. THEN I NOTICED the folder and files I copied are not there ?!?!?!?!? What to make of this I thought ?

5. So tried a "repair disk" by rebooting windows 11.

6. Fortunately the drive is only 20 GBs but can you imagine what kind of shit show this would have been if it was 5 TB or 2 TB ?!?!? Terribly fucking situation.

Plus I had to reboot it because the first time I failed to load because web browsing using to much memory and disk with constant logging probably so had to shut everything down to be able to run windows 11 in vm but ok at least that worked somewhat.

Now comes the most amazing thing of all ofcourse: WOULD THE FILES APPEAR AFTER A REPAIR ?

7. THE BIG FAT ANSWER IS: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! HAHAHAHAHAHA

FILES WERE LOST !

THIS IS ACTUALLY A VERY INTERESTING AND PRIME TIME STORY ! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF WINDOWS THAT IT HAS MANAGED TO LOOSE FILES.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT MICROSOFT WINDOWS SOFTWARE HAS MANAGED TO LOOSE FILES ?!?!?!?!?!? AND QUITE FRANKLY I CANNOT BELIEVE IT UNTIL THERE IS FURTHER HARD EVIDENCE AND FURTHER RESEARCH INTO THIS:

FOR NOW IT IS TEMPTING TO BLAME VM WORKSTATION 15 SOFTWARE FOR THIS BAD COPY/WRITE OF FOLDERS AND FILES ?!?!?!??!?!

BUT IF IT'S NOT VM WORKSTATION 15 THEN OH BOY DOES MICROSOFT HAVE A VERY VERY VERY SERIOUS ISSUE ON THEIR HANDS BECAUSE THIS COULD DEFINETLY LEAD TO A SITUATION WHY USERS BELIEVE THE COPIED OVER FILES TO WINDOWS 11 VIRTUAL DISK, BELIEVING THAT LATER THEY WILL BE THERE WHILE IN REALITY THEY WILL BE DELETED BY THE REPAIR TOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THEY ALSO DELETE THE ORIGINAL FILES BELIEVING THAT THEY HAVE SAFELY COPIED FILES THEY MIGHT ACTUALLY LOOSE ORIGINAL DATA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS MAY ACTUALLY TRIGGER PEOPLE TO SWITCH TO LINUX OR MAC OS FOR MORE RELIABLE FILE SYSTEMS ?!?!?!?!?

ANYWAY:

VMWARE AND MICROSOFT SHOULD BOTH DEFINETLY LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE BECAUSE WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AND NO I AM NOT SURPISED I PREDICTED THIS ! BUT I AM STILL SOMEWHAT SURPRISED AND AMAZED TO ACTUALLY SEE IT HAPPEN AND HOW BAD IT REALLY IS ?!??!

PERHAPS I UNMAPPED THE Z DRIVE TO EARLY ? BUT I DONT THINK SOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE TOMORROW I WILL REPEAT THIS TEST BUT WASTED ENOUGH OF MY TIME ALREADY !

BYE FOR NOW,
SKYBUCK !